Gran Turismo Movie Thread

• Thread starter ro_har_
  • 1,255 comments
Without spoilers the main thing that kept rubbing me wrong was they tried to incorporate the current FIA races with FiA branded race-suits, they were clearly not involved in jann spinning his wheels when leaving the pits every single time he left the pits…no FIA penalties given to any team …just bugged me how they made races look unregulated and jann was on his own against dirty drivers
Dude... if you thought that was the worst part of the movie then... Wow...

To be very fair it's a movie for general audiences about racing, and the writers/director don't want to bore the people who don't care about racing with all the technical minutiae of time penalties, pit lane speed limiters, passing etiquette and so on.

If you don't care at all about any of that I think it's a great movie, but if you go in thinking it's going to be meticulous in how it replicated the Blancpain GT Series that Jann raced in IRL, then it's going to be a rough watch. They have a 488 Challenge, A road-converted Corvette, a Vantage GT4 and a Ford GT MK.II track car as stand-in GT3s. Not to mention the bunch of 997 cup cars.

Like many others the Pictures Core app on my PS5 doesn't work, logs me out of PSN everytime and only shows a loading screen :/

Last edited:
Like many others the Pictures Core app on my PS5 doesn't work, logs me out of PSN everytime and only shows a loading screen :/
Mine was terrible when I installed it - just wouldn't do anything for very long - but I've had no issues since a full reboot.

I watched the film at the weekend. Good film, probably a 7.5-8 out of 10 for me. I do think they are better racing films out there.

A few bug bearing issues that kind of spoilt it for me.
One of biggest issue i hated was Le Mans. Totally understand you can’t film on there due to 80% of the track been on public roads, but using ariel shots of the Hungaroring as Le Mans annoyed me. Also I see they used some CGI for the Tertre Rouge and Mulsanne and it looked nothing like corner or the in game track. Make me think if they have some licence issues with Le Mans. I know the rights got sold to rfactor2 last year. Other than that was good.
Hopefully we get the Ligier JS car added to the game. Love to see some LMP2 cars added.

Another bug bearing issue is this downshift overtake on straights… Why do movies do this? So unrealistic seeing a race downshift to find some magic extra boost that then makes them overtake the car.

Good things, hopefully PD can secure a few more tracks for the game with Hungaroring, and Dubai Autodrome been used. Hockenhiem was mentioned but no actual footage from the track so see on that one.
Hopefully the movie will spur on car manufacturers, race teams and other racing series to sponsor events on the game or allow sim racers to do real life racing. Fraga and Miyazono seem to the be only two current world tour drivers who have been given some real life opportunities. Will be more I guess but I only know of these two.

The end credits were great I thought. Loved seeing how the team go about laser scanning cars, recording the sounds etc… good insight that showing how much work and effort goes into the making the game.

I watched the film at the weekend. Good film, probably a 7.5-8 out of 10 for me. I do think they are better racing films out there.

A few bug bearing issues that kind of spoilt it for me.
One of biggest issue i hated was Le Mans. Totally understand you can’t film on there due to 80% of the track been on public roads, but using ariel shots of the Hungaroring as Le Mans annoyed me. Also I see they used some CGI for the Tertre Rouge and Mulsanne and it looked nothing like corner or the in game track. Make me think if they have some licence issues with Le Mans. I know the rights got sold to rfactor2 last year. Other than that was good.
Hopefully we get the Ligier JS car added to the game. Love to see some LMP2 cars added.

Another bug bearing issue is this downshift overtake on straights… Why do movies do this? So unrealistic seeing a race downshift to find some magic extra boost that then makes them overtake the car.

Good things, hopefully PD can secure a few more tracks for the game with Hungaroring, and Dubai Autodrome been used. Hockenhiem was mentioned but no actual footage from the track so see on that one.
Hopefully the movie will spur on car manufacturers, race teams and other racing series to sponsor events on the game or allow sim racers to do real life racing. Fraga and Miyazono seem to the be only two current world tour drivers who have been given some real life opportunities. Will be more I guess but I only know of these two.

The end credits were great I thought. Loved seeing how the team go about laser scanning cars, recording the sounds etc… good insight that showing how much work and effort goes into the making the game.
Yea they did do thay annoying fast and furious down shifting over takes to get the engine revs loud

Edit: I downloaded on both ps4 and ps5 with no issues. Watch movies on my ps4, and the movie looked good. Got the credit email and it worked. Thought it was a good incentive deal for the movie and credits.

I have a premium plus and Tbh the movie selection on the app aren’t great…then again so are the games on ps plus premium

Last edited:
Yea they did do thay annoying fast and furious down shifting over takes to get the engine revs loud
Needs a director like Michael Mann. Saw an (old) interview with him yesterday about the shootout scene in 'Heat'. After shooting, the audio team edited in the sounds for the shootout. Spent ages on it to get it right. But Michael Mann threw all their work out and told them to use the recordings they made while shooting. Those recordings captured the reverb/echo of the shots between the buildings, which could not be replicated artifically afterwards. And so they did. In the end result, the sound is really a major part of what makes that scene epic, because it's actual gunfire from the actual people on-screen, and actual bouncing of the sounds between buildings. Not fake/added afterwards. It's what seperates a good movie from an excellent one I guess. The audience can tell, even if they don't know exactly why.

Needs a director like Michael Mann. Saw an (old) interview with him yesterday about the shootout scene in 'Heat'. After shooting, the audio team edited in the sounds for the shootout. Spent ages on it to get it right. But Michael Mann threw all their work out and told them to use the recordings they made while shooting. Those recordings captured the reverb/echo of the shots between the buildings, which could not be replicated artifically afterwards. And so they did. In the end result, the sound is really a major part of what makes that scene epic, because it's actual gunfire from the actual people on-screen, and actual bouncing of the sounds between buildings. Not fake/added afterwards. It's what seperates a good movie from an excellent one I guess. The audience can tell, even if they don't know exactly why.
I made a comment in the movie thread that the thing that annoyed me most was jann repeatedly spinning his wheels in the pit lane in almost every race that showed him pitting. Again they copied fast and furious…i was kind of annoyed with how much the racing tried to copy those movies (i just recently watched all 10 in a row for fun). They did do the first 3 right

Also gt movies goes in so hard about how sim racers aren’t safety oriented and do nothing with having an actual FIA. Imagine if they just spiced it up making the racing end with the FIA deciding to give team nissan a penalty making jann loosing his last license test

I don't know what the UK price for it will be through Sony Core as i can't find away of seeing the price without downloading the app, which i don't want to do, but i've noticed it's available on Amazon Prime to buy for just £13.99.

Considering that there's usually a parity between US Dollar and Pound Stirling prices on the PS Store, at $19.99 it's looking to be cheaper elsewhere.

Last edited:
It wasn't too bad of a movie. Glad I didn't pay to see it though.
Nice that you have a friend who'd spot you like that.

I don't know what the UK price for it will be through Sony Core as i can't find away of seeing the price without downloading the app, which i don't want to do, but i've noticed it's available on Amazon Prime to buy for just £13.99.

Considering that there's usually a parity between US Dollar and Pound Stirling prices on the PS Store, at $19.99 it's looking to be cheaper elsewhere.
In PS Store it's usually the case that the GBP numerical is a click or ten below USD, while EUR matches. I spend a lot of time comparing prices for sales articles :lol: I'd expect it to be £14.99 or £15.99 if it's $19.99 - though £13.99 is not beyond the realms, I guess. It doesn't have a price in the app because it's not available in the UK yet.

It's worth noting that it's on Prime Video US for the exact same prices as PS Core US: $14.99 to rent, $19.99 to buy. However Amazon doesn't have "IMAX Enhanced" audio/video and streams at only 20Mbps or so for UHD, compared to 72Mbps for Core. You also don't get the same extras (although Amazon has its "Xray" feature, which is basically in-movie ads for other movies but disguised as info about where you recognised that guy from) or the bonus in-game credits.

I finally watched this movie earlier this evening and well... it was good. I would comfortably give it 7/10. It wasn't quite as good as Rush which wasn't quite as good as Ford v Ferrari IMO, but I had a good time watching it. Knowing it's based on a true story helped. If I have one complaint, it was overly dramatic. Too many photo finishes etc. But a good, solid, enjoyable film with a great performance from David Harbour.

Last edited:
Not even done with watching it but it's so so bad. It's not just that it isn't correct on the racing stuff. Jann has a good story, but we didn't need the party on the pier scene. We didn't need a fake rivalry in the GT Academy. We don't need the split second finishes where it takes five minutes to see who won. Didn't need the Kenny G scene, either. There's a lot of filler and it isn't well written at all.

Not even done with watching it but it's so so bad. It's not just that it isn't correct on the racing stuff. Jann has a good story, but we didn't need the party on the pier scene. We didn't need a fake rivalry in the GT Academy. We don't need the split second finishes where it takes five minutes to see who won. Didn't need the Kenny G scene, either. There's a lot of filler and it isn't well written at all.
I was confused by the love interest too…them in japan was probably the lowest point for me. I dont think it was written bad, they just couldn’t really put the game into any real racing context.

I mainly watched to see how they would try to sell a normie on playing gt7. Dont think they made this movie for people kaz’s age

I've just seen the movie and I'd give it a 6-7 /10.

The beginning was beyond cheesy and I feel they took a lot of liberties in changing what really happened to create that extra movie tension. In saying that, my wife who isn't into cars, really loved this movie and rated it a 9.

I liked the story and I liked the actors. I liked a fair amount of the racing scenes and I thought the use of GT sounds and GT graphics was done well. Plus, who couldn't love Kaz's little cameo.

But I didn't like...

The cheesy parts being how focused they were on selling GT as a sim and how it was the best sim ever to exist
I find it frustrating that it shows Jann using the racing line within the game, I find that incredibly unlikely
I didn't like how the drivers had their visors open during the racing - i understand why they did it but its just not right
I REALLY didn't like how they used shots from different tracks. ugh.
I felt like the revelry with that Gold team (Capa?) was completely fake and did not happen - it felt like they stole this from old Grid games.
I felt like Jann starting from the back of race and winning to qualify was completely made up.
I didn't like the Fast and Furious style filming of the cars, quick cuts that take away from everything else.
Everything being a photo finish also seemed off, I feel like this should have been used once and not repeated

Essentially I finished the movie thinking that it reminds me of how I feel about GT7. A really good concept, that looks great. Mostly executed well but it falls short in far too many ways to be great and doesn't live up to its full potential but worth a playthrough.

Last edited:
The cheesy parts being how focused they were on selling GT as a sim and how it was the best sim ever to exist
Hell some of the shots of him "racing" his Mclaren F1 weren't even from the game.

Last edited:
Remember this scene? Turns out the whole PD office scene in the credits are dramatizations due to the software discrepancy - Blender was used there, while it is known that PD uses Maya.
1699047212374.png

The 190E being "scanned" there is also actually a 2.3-16/2.5-16 Evo 1, and you can't even put the wings from that model from GT Auto (for the 2.5-16 Evo II).
1699047263337.png

On a less nitpicky note, there's cameos of 2020 TS050 and 2016 R18 in the Le Mans race (though I know they're basically replicas).
1699047311474.png

Last edited:
I just pre ordered my UHD copy. Said to release for us Aussies on the 15th. I prefer a physical copy of this gem.

Latest Posts

Back