Gran Turismo Movie Thread

• Thread starter ro_har_
  • 1,255 comments
Might as well had been direct to video at this rate. Wow.
It's a pretty standard pace.

Barbie is also available on Amazon, AppleTV/iTunes, Google Play, Microsoft Store, and YouTube:

Is the #1-grossing film of 2023 also worthy of being classed as "might as well had been direct to video" (sic)?

Last edited:

Barbie is also available on Amazon, AppleTV/iTunes, Google Play, Microsoft Store, and YouTube:

Is the #1-grossing film of 2023 also worthy of being classed as "might as well had been direct to video" (sic)?

Yeah why not.

I remember the days when you had to wait a year to get to public release, and 3/4 years to make it to terrestrial television

Yeah why not.
Largely because it's pretty dim.

Fun fact: the highest-grossing DTV film ever is The Lion King II, at around $450m.

I remember the days when you had to wait a year to get to public release, and 3/4 years to make it to terrestrial television
Cool. That's not what happens now, and is also not relevant; I remember when you had to rewind the VHS tape before returning it to the petrol station...

Films get an online release a month after a theatrical debut (45 days is the norm; interestingly that means the streamers likely treated the original launch as the contracted day one), and hit streaming and physical media after about four months. That's what happens these days - which you don't have to remember, as you can just look it up - and it's what is happening to Barbie, Gran Turismo, Super Mario, and so on and so forth.

Just about the only big recent exception to this model is Top Gun Maverick, which got a delayed online release. That launched on May 27th in cinemas, August 23rd online, and November 1st on home media. Oppenheimer also has no online release yet, though the BluRay (etc.) release is scheduled for October.

Since the pandemic, studios have had to scramble and figure out when exactly when the best time to strike in getting a movie out on demand since people have realised that going to the cinema isn’t really the experience they’d necessarily need. If a movie has really great ‘legs’ (basically anything that still is getting ticket sales long after release, like Top Gun Maverick or the Mario movie), then they’ll hold off on VOD/streaming/physical media and extract as much income as they can from ticket sales. Generally though, 45 days is the usual window now, regardless of whether or not the film is still doing well in theatres.

Usually a film has to bomb pretty badly (basically anything DCEU these days as an example) for it to go to streaming/VOD that early, though some studios are dipping their toes in to earlier releases to try and capitalise on those who wanna see the movie but don’t necessarily want or need the big screen experience, which I think is what they’re doing with the GT movie.

The reality is that, online abilities being what they are, if the movie IS NOT released to streaming, disk, etc. in about a month it will be pirated.

That is why the change happened, not (just) because we have the ability to watch it anywhere/anyhow.

I hasn't showed up in Amazon Prime (Spain) yet. I might rent it if it's 3-4 euro like Mario or Spiderman (Barbie it's 12, wtf) and my wife wants to watch it. I have a decent setup at home but I suspect it won't come close to the experience I had at the cinema. It's the kind of movie that benefits a lot from loud sound and a big screen.

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Gran Turismo Movie Now Available to Watch on Amazon & YouTube

If you weren’t able to get to the cinema to watch it, or have simply been waiting for chance to see it at home, the Gran Turismo movie is now available to buy or rent from several online media retailers...

I hasn't showed up in Amazon Prime (Spain) yet. I might rent it if it's 3-4 euro like Mario or Spiderman (Barbie it's 12, wtf) and my wife wants to watch it. I have a decent setup at home but I suspect it won't come close to the experience I had at the cinema. It's the kind of movie that benefits a lot from loud sound and a big screen.

Can't see it available anywhere to stream on usual UK sites yet.

Last edited:
Maybe they can remove micro transactions from GT7 now and increase the payouts?
Kaz is not amused

Schermata 2023-09-30 alle 15.30.54.png

"Gran Barbismo"

I heard somewhere from the Internet Movie Car Database that there is a Koenigsegg in the movie (in particular, the Gemera concept), but ironically, there has yet to be a single Koenigsegg in the games.

Amazon Prime uk now displaying the movie will be available on their site from 23rd Oct.

Looking forward to it actually!

I watched it over the weekend with the wife. We both enjoyed it and I will definitely be watching it again. The racing scenes are well done and the acting is good. Definitely one of the better video game movie adaptations.

B80
Amazon Prime uk now displaying the movie will be available on their site from 23rd Oct.

Looking forward to it actually!
Me too! It will be interesting to see a copy of a movie next to my copies of the game. ;)

Last edited:
Watched it just a few days ago, and while it is an exciting movie with visually striking cinematography that is reminiscent of the games, I felt like most of the story's causality is artificial and filled with tons of plot armor, with some events happening, for the sake of happening just for the sake of the storytelling.

That being said, most Hollywood writers would often take liberties with a historical drama, but the Gran Turismo movie takes this to such an extreme by shifting the time setting to a much more recent timeline (as if it's Jann Mardenborough as usual, but in a parallel universe), and putting his Nurburgring Nordschleife accident before his podium finish at Le Mans.

Oh and my favorite line of dialogue:

Jann closing his laptop

His brother: "Looking at ****?"

Last edited:
Since the pandemic, studios have had to scramble and figure out when exactly when the best time to strike in getting a movie out on demand since people have realised that going to the cinema isn’t really the experience they’d necessarily need.
I for one only go to a theatre if it's a movie that warrants the price, trip, parking fee, food/drinks fee, etc. because of the theatre experience. GT was one of them by the way. Really happy that studios have learnt there is quite a bit of audience that will gladly pay for a new release to be watched on their own couch. Probably dropped a bit since pandemic subsided, but I still use those services more than before the pandemic.
The reality is that, online abilities being what they are, if the movie IS NOT released to streaming, disk, etc. in about a month it will be pirated.
The reality is that the good quality rips won't appear until the digital version (that someone can make an exact, lossless copy of). Typically cams, etc. are available almost instantly unless a studio puts a lot of effort in takedowns (and they only do with AAA blockbusters). So in a way the digital release is the trigger for en-masse pirating these days. Delaying it actually is less/less quality piracy.

So in a way the digital release is the trigger for en-masse pirating these days. Delaying it actually is less/less quality piracy.
100% true.

I wasn't going to say anything earlier but you nailed it mate. Pirates can't get their hands on a non-cam digital copy 'til it's released into the wild.

From this video on YouTube, buyers get 750,000 in game credits with a purchase of the Gran Turismo Movie on Sony Pictures Core app.
1696631849159.png

Last edited:
For some reason I couldn't open the app with the wheel so today I did so with the controller... WTF. 20 eur to rent the GT movie? I paid less than half for the cinema ticket, lol. And 6 eur for Spiderman when its 3 in Amazon Prime? 😂

Last edited:
Should have been 2-3mil imo, but I guess it’s enough to buy the GT-R Nismo GT3 hero car so it makes sense in that capacity. Watch the movie, now drive the car.
I decided to check out the new app and paid for the movie since the game credits gift are $10 value, making up for 1/2 the cost of the movie, its a really good deal because… the movie was pretty bad. Without spoilers the main thing that kept rubbing me wrong was they tried to incorporate the current FIA races with FiA branded race-suits, they were clearly not involved in jann spinning his wheels when leaving the pits every single time he left the pits…no FIA penalties given to any team …just bugged me how they made races look unregulated and jann was on his own against dirty drivers

I did enjoy how the races looked and sounded when jann was performing overtakes.

Back