Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
A small point on the future of the series but it's kind of annoying that PD have limited the games regions and the country flag displayed within the game.

It would be a very nice thing if in future Gran Turismo they allowed us to pick our country in game as I would like to show that I am based in Scotland rather than the GB flag and the same would also benefit I am sure those based in Ireland who have moved from the UK etc.

F1 games and so forth seem able to put the effort into that so hopefully one day GT will as well!

A small point on the future of the series but it's kind of annoying that PD have limited the games regions and the country flag displayed within the game.
Sony, not PD. Sony is the publisher, and PD has to follow its standards in this matter.
It would be a very nice thing if in future Gran Turismo they allowed us to pick our country in game as I would like to show that I am based in Scotland rather than the GB flag
UK, not GB.

You get the UK flag because it's a country. Scotland isn't a country - neither is England, nor Wales, nor Great Britain. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is the country, so we get the Union Flag.

Sony, not PD. Sony is the publisher, and PD has to follow its standards in this matter.

UK, not GB.

You get the UK flag because it's a country. Scotland isn't a country - neither is England, nor Wales, nor Great Britain. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is the country, so we get the Union Flag.
I think the point was that other games allow for different flags in online settings. Dirty Rally 2.0 is another.

I think the point was that other games allow for different flags in online settings. Dirty Rally 2.0 is another.
They do, but they are not bound to Sony's rules as they are third-party developers. Playstation Studios developers - like PD - follow Sony's rules.

That's not limited to things like what national flags players can use, but also covers the swear filter - which is why a racing game censors terms like "engine" and "LSD" :lol:

So real talk instead of chickenhaus....

Will PD and Nissan get together and drop this into SPort?

Also have we got the next GT7 cover car.

maxresdefault.jpg

It's possible. Forza are using the Corvette. Could leave the door open for a Nissan return.
GT covers have normally been the GT-R. It'd be a first for a Nissan other than that model.

What's good is that when the 350Z came out, we got so many of those type models in the game. The Opera car, various Nismo 350Z concept cars, the GT500 Z, the 350Z LM, the different road model trims. Maybe we see many 400Zs in Gran Turismo 7.

After the back to basics car list of GTS I am looking forward to having a hundred different Nissans in GT7 if they do go down that route, as long as they are not just livery/bodykit and HP changes but noticeably different cars to drive, such as the Subaru Falken Tires/Turn 14 Distribution BRZ '17.

Y’know how in the settings menu, you can see what sort of transmission the car has IRL, regardless of whether you’ve picked AT/MT? Like it’ll say it’s a sequential manual vs. a typical manual. Or how even when you’ve picked MT, it’ll say the Ferrari 458 has an automatic transmission, as that’s what it has IRL. Was that information included within previous GT games?

Last edited:
Y’know how in the settings menu, you can see what sort of transmission the car has IRL, regardless of whether you’ve picked AT/MT? Like it’ll say it’s a sequential manual vs. a typical manual. Or how even when you’ve picked MT, it’ll say the Ferrari 458 has an automatic transmission, as that’s what it has IRL. Was that information included within previous GT games?
I can only think it's been in the write up of the car.

Sequential transmissions were moreso in the Formula cars, Super GT, DTM, and various other race cars. The Tickford XR8 V8 Supercar used an h-pattern shifter. Not sure if that's mentioned in the write up or shown in the specs.

Gotta remember, those types of transmissions weren't mainstream until recent. Certain cars, like the BMW M3 CSL, had such a transmission back in GT4, but I'm unsure if it actually was spec'd with that transmission in game.

We were able to buy close ratio gearboxes and racing transmission. Can't remember if it said the transmission was sequential or that was to be understood.

I can only think it's been in the write up of the car.

Sequential transmissions were moreso in the Formula cars, Super GT, DTM, and various other race cars. The Tickford XR8 V8 Supercar used an h-pattern shifter. Not sure if that's mentioned in the write up or shown in the specs.

Gotta remember, those types of transmissions weren't mainstream until recent. Certain cars, like the BMW M3 CSL, had such a transmission back in GT4, but I'm unsure if it actually was spec'd with that transmission in game.

We were able to buy close ratio gearboxes and racing transmission. Can't remember if it said the transmission was sequential or that was to be understood.
Sounds good. I was hoping that in GT7, that instead of picking MT/AT and having it apply to all cars, it’d be more based on the actual car, including the addition of being able to map a button on the controller for the clutch.

On a different subject, gotta say I'm having fun using the MINI VGT. Done nearly all the road courses. ONE MAKE Custom Race, 2 Laps, starting 11th, Grid Start, TCS default. Spa in the rain, Le Sarthe, Tokyo, Miyabi+, it's a fun car.

So far, I felt the best track for it was Laguna Seca. Only won twice. BMB tri-oval and Le Sarthe. TCS On is giving the AI a bit of an acceleration advantage. My car not as quick to apply power, makes it a challenge to keep up with AI.

It's changing the whole feel of the game for me today.

Between Covid-19, GT7 coming soon, and PD's official statement that GTS updates were going to become lighter and less frequent (which I believe was before Covid really started taking full effect), I'd be surprised if we got any update for GTS at this point. But I think that makes sense - why keep updating the current game when a vastly superior version is around the corner? Heck, I wonder if something similar happened with the Hyundai and Bugatti VGTs in GT6, where I think I remember there being demos where you could drive them within GT6, but they only officially debuted in GTS. This would also make sense with the Porsche 917-related content that was slated for GTS, and what do we see in GT7's initial trailer? A 917, plus a 911 GT1 Strassenversion. So I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we get the Lamborghini VGT plus the Porsche content (including the Porsche VGT) in GT7 instead, and I wouldn't mind at all, especially since Covid has put a monkey wrench into everything. I'm sure PD was on a short schedule even without Covid being a factor, too.

But overall, I don't think there's much they could (nor should) add to GTS that would get me to play it more these days, especially when they could just have players experience that content (or those features, UI changes, etc.) in GT7, which will likely be an objectively superior game to GTS; I don't foresee there being much reason to stick with GTS after GT7 is released, PS5 ownership aside. It simply would not make sense from a development standpoint to keep adding updates to what will soon be an outclassed game when you'd want as many people as possible to be playing its successor. That said, if GT7 isn't slated to release until say, late 2021 or early 2022, I could see there being at least a few updates remaining for GTS, maybe even including the Porsche content and Lamborghini VGT.

Sad thing is unless PD patch GTS with offline saves, once the server(s) go down it'll leave the game a brick and PS4 without a GT game. Which knowing PD's track record it'll happen about 2 years after GT7 releases. I can only imagine the uproar that will happen when that time comes. I myself will be on that bandwagon because I have no plans to jump ship to PS5 for probably at least 4 years and by that time a GT8 could very well be coming out.

What's the rationale behind censoring "engine"? Is it the "gin" (promoting alcohol)?
"bang" and "hardcore" and "night" are all also censored. Whom ever does the censorship must not be native to English.

Last edited:
Which knowing PD's track record it'll happen about 2 years after GT7 releases.

I mean, 5 years for one single game is more than enough don't you think? You can't compare GTS to games like Battlefield 3 or 4 with 9 and 7 years, respectively. GTS does not have the same replay value.

The online community isn't as strong nor invested. GTS is like Hardline, if we're sticking to the Battlefield franchise analogy.

I have no plans to jump ship to PS5 for probably at least 4 years

The PS5 will only have a lifespan of 5 years. Do with that what you will.

Sony will do the "PS5 Pro" thing a few years down the track. That doesnt mean the ps5 becomes useless much like how the ps4 classic is still 'viable'.

I think one thing people miss the timelines in GT land... if GT7 hits xmas 2021 then GT Sport holds the line until then.

I do think that PD will suspend all work on Sport until a final patch that moves things offline.

Lambo VGT and 917LL moves to GT7. Remember how they dropped everything on GT6 once they couldnt be bothered any more.

GT Sport is now just a dead man walking until GT7 and PS5 comes online. They it'll get the bullet like an old racehorse.

Without GT7 the PS5 to me is essentially useless worthless so I dont care about no backorders.

Even if GT7 is a day one release in miracle land its still $500 usd that I dont think is worth gambling on.

Imagine if you bought a $599 usd ps3 and waiting 4yrs for the mess that GT5 was... I guess some people do it.

I mean, 5 years for one single game is more than enough don't you think? You can't compare GTS to games like Battlefield 3 or 4 with 9 and 7 years, respectively. GTS does not have the same replay value.
No I don't think so, I wouldn't have posted what I did if I did think so. I'm also not comparing it to battlefield. Thing is I and many others like me just got the game, and suddenly we must abandon it for arbitrary reasons? Because of 5 years? It's a horrible business model when you turn a product people paid for into a brick simply because it's old and/or because it has subjectively, not objectively, no "replay value".

If this was an offline game like GT5/6 I wouldn't be as bothered by the shutting down of servers, but this game is online only requirement where not just saving but a majority of the games features can't be used without online. Take away the online servers and the game can only be used for hotlapping with only 6 of the 330+ cars which would then give the game no replay value where as currently it still has replay value.

The PS5 will only have a lifespan of 5 years. Do with that what you will.
And how do you know for certain? Are you from the future? PS4 has had 7 years and PS3 had 8 years. The average trend is 7-8 years not 5.

Last edited:
subjectively, not objectively, no "replay value".

It's not a subjective claim to state that the game has no replay value. It offers little to no incentive to boot it up everyday.
  • The career mode is nonexistent, unless you want to claim that chase-the-rabbit in different forms of motorsport is a fun career mode.
  • The game requires online connectivity.
  • The online community has been the smallest community in years.
    • Have a look at the lobby lists. Mostly empty lobbies with people trying to inject some life into the game.
      • Unless you're into drifting, drag racing, or roleplay, there's not much else going on.
  • A lot of people are not into esports and competitive leaderboards (I personally am and love that aspect) and therefore see no interest in Sport Mode.

GT Sport is on death row. The announcement of GT7 and trailer releases simply gave GTS a death date. Simple as that.

This game didn't have the same support and community as GT4/5/6.

Thing is I and many others like me just got the game, and suddenly we must abandon it for arbitrary reasons?

That sounds like you're just projecting buyer's remorse. Not my issue, you can refund the game if you feel like it, or try and enjoy the time it has left. You have another year to do so.

And how do you know for certain? Are you from the future? PS4 has had 7 years and PS3 had 8 years. The average trend is 7-8 years not 5.

Source

Source

Source

Source

I'm just informed and anxious to get my hands on the new generation of hardware, from consoles to PCs.

Imagine if you bought a $599 usd ps3 and waiting 4yrs for the mess that GT5 was... I guess some people do it.

Try $700 USD.

Last edited:
On the subject of updates this may have been touched on already but it would be nice to see an update with the new penalty system they plan on running in GT7... sort of like a trial run on Sport so they can tweak whatever needs tweaking before GT7 ever drops.

That honestly might happen.

I am not trying to play devil's advocate here but we should all know that modern gaming is unlike the old PS2 era.
Heck, I can still pop in GT4 and play it without any issues.
However, games now are treated as licenses. You don't buy the game but rather the license to play it, and they have all the rights to remove access to it whenever they feel like it.
I am pretty sure its somewhere on that fine print.
It sucks but that's the rule now.

@Petroperu it's not just games. That model has now become the norm for gaming but that's how the tech industry has been for years now.

Remember when the Adobe Suite wasn't a subscription service? Every market is moving towards a paid "service" model.

@Petroperu it's not just games. That model has now become the norm for gaming but that's how the tech industry has been for years now.

Remember when the Adobe Suite wasn't a subscription service? Every market is moving towards a paid "service" model.

I do get your point however you kind of have to look at things wholistically AND ask where companies get their revenue.

For Adobe they worked out that subscriptions would net more money than regularly paying for software... eg. Linus Media pays $10k a year for Creative cloud products.

For Microsoft, making Win10 a rolling "work in progress" means they can push ads and their store AND their model is moving away from o/s editions anyway.

But what of Sony and PD? What has changed in their revenue model?

I'm going to say that this is still uncertain.

Turn10 is full in on the EA 18 month to 2yr new game + DLC + VIP + car pass etc.

So far PD has only gone the GT Sport game + Hamilton + car mtx.

I'm not sure how they are monetizing GT7 over that entire generation if that's their plan.

Back