Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
Edit: I put it back.

I've been pondering why Sony and PD have become so tight lipped about Gran Turismo, and may have come up with a theory.

They may have clammed up from the double whammy of realizing their game isn't so great and the outright vitriol being thrown their way by their own consumer base. Anyone notice how this time Sony barely mentioned anything GT related as they were promoting the PS4? Just compare how GT was advertised in the early days of the PS2 (GT2000) and the PS3 (GTHD, the original GTVision trailer) to today and see the difference.

It just seems like they now understand that people by and large view GT as a bit of a joke, and so kept it away from the PS4 in order to give it the strongest launch they could. Just imagine how much weaker the PS4's launch line-up could've been if the launch lineup included the game known for "vacuum cleaner sounds", "zombie AI", and of course "PS2 assets (standard cars)." If anything having GT as part of the launch line-up would've just been a black-eye they just couldn't afford.

Remember that they were coming out of a generation where they lost a lot of market to the Xbox360. It is also the same generation where Forza consistently kicked GT up and down the street. And now look at the racers coming out now. As many have said it's the "golden age of racing games," an age GT isn't really considered a part of. Rolling it out as the console was launching could have done more damage to the image they were building than it could've helped.

I know this is all just theory, but it just seems like it could be one reason to explain why Sony isn't rushing PD right now.

Last edited:
From the bit of info we've heard so far we can speculate these things:
  1. It was said the GT Sport is not a prologue and contains "Everything from a traditional GT." So if we are to go off of that then this is a full GT game taking a different approach
  2. From what I know, Forza Horizon games cost the same amount as Forza Motorsports games so I wouldn't expect anything lower.
  3. Let's wait and see what GTS plans to deliver before we talk about GT7.
  4. I don't see PD going the download only route. If the game is online-only then possibly but even then I still doubt it.
All that's said is that it's more substantial than Prologue titles. If you compare to the last prologue, that means that 75 cars and 10 tracks would fit the bill.

All that's said is that it's more substantial than Prologue titles. If you compare to the last prologue, that means that 75 cars and 10 tracks would fit the bill.
That's lower numbers than even GT1, I wouldn't see them going from 1200+ cars to 75 and around 20 something tracks to 10, although weirder things have happened. All we can do is wait and speculate.

Yeah, you can always count on Jim Ryan when he says something:indiff:.

Since Gran Turismo PSP, PoDi announce their game a few months before the release.

There have been 0 report for Gran Turismo PSP and Gran Turismo 6. They don't want to make the same mistake than GT5.

I've been pondering why Sony and PD have become so tight lipped about Gran Turismo, and may have come up with a theory.

They may have clammed up from the double whammy of realizing their game isn't so great and the outright vitriol being thrown their way by their own consumer base. Anyone notice how this time Sony barely mentioned anything GT related as they were promoting the PS4? Just compare how GT was advertised in the early days of the PS2 (GT2000) and the PS3 (GTHD, the original GTVision trailer) to today and see the difference.

It just seems like they now understand that people by and large view GT as a bit of a joke, and so kept it away from the PS4 in order to give it the strongest launch they could. Just imagine how much weaker the PS4's launch line-up could've been if the launch lineup included the game known for "vacuum cleaner sounds", "zombie AI", and of course "PS2 assets (standard cars)." If anything having GT as part of the launch line-up would've just been a black-eye they just couldn't afford.

Remember that they were coming out of a generation where they lost a lot of market to the Xbox360. It is also the same generation where Forza consistently kicked GT up and down the street. And now look at the racers coming out now. As many have said it's the "golden age of racing games," an age GT isn't really considered a part of. Rolling it out as the console was launching could have done more damage to the image they were building than it could've helped.

I know this is all just theory, but it just seems like it could be one reason to explain why Sony isn't rushing PD right now.

Hilarious.

They are tight lips as its GT, they don't need to over hype it. See what over hype did to Ronda, once in a lifetime athlete (what a joke that was) is now a laughing stock for losing being made fun of by hollywood celebs of all people. Bethesda were quite tight lips about Fallout 4, see what happened.

What logical reason would they be talking about GT6 a PS3 game when they were in the process of launching the 8th gen PS4. There is no comparison or correlation that makes any sense to be made with a new Gen GT being launched on new gen hardware thus the obvious push of it compared to the GT6 at the time of PS4 scenario.

LMAO PS4 launch would have been weaker for having GT, awesome trolling there bud. Or do you really believe the bs you posted. Your theory is whack, how about some reality for you.

Sony is not rushing anyone, PS4 massive success and the competition massive **** ups mean unlike being in a position of weakness PS3 games that had top be rushed to market they are now in a position of power and are able to postpone things to make then better. PS4 is crushing the comp even with no Uncharted for these holidays or any massive exclusive.

Hilarious.

What logical reason would they be talking about GT6 a PS3 game when they were in the process of launching the 8th gen PS4. There is no comparison or correlation that makes any sense to be made with a new Gen GT being launched on new gen hardware thus the obvious push of it compared to the GT6 at the time of PS4 scenario.
Since you asked, I'll give you 2 reasons. First, GT is one of Sony's flagship games and it's sales are important whether they are on one console or another. A flop won't go over well in the marketplace regardless of which platform it's on and will diminish the brand, something that's not hard to see among the hardcore fans here on GTP. Second, the money earned from GT6 sales counts just the same as any money earned from PS4 sales. Sony isn't financially stable enough that they can afford to just pee away potentially tens or hundreds of millions of dollars. While I'm at it, here's another reason. The was no simulation racing game on the PS4, so sales of GT would not replace a single unit of sales on the PS4, there was no competition.

SCEE CEO Jim Ryan:
Are you concerned with the excitement around Gran Turismo 6 competing with the PlayStation 4?
No, I think they are complementary. Obviously, it makes the job of marketing more difficult, because it needs to be carefully done, but I think the two can co-exist perfectly well. In fact, there’s a lot of evidence when you have a lot of noise in the gaming category, everybody benefits, even across platforms.
“While we recognize the issue and it’s definitely one that needs to be looked at carefully, we’re not concerned about it.

And:
Was there any particular reason GT6 was chosen not to be launched on the PS4?

“It goes back to a point I made earlier – there is definitely a lot of unfinished business on the PS3, and I urge you take a look back at the iterations of GT and GT2 side-by-side; the difference is amazing. You’ll see a similar step change between GT5 and GT6.
Another difference is the 70 million install base on PS3 – it’s very attractive for a developer to target a game on that platform.”

Last edited:
Maybe this point was missed, but one of the things I was trying to say in my post was that complaints in excess, even with the best of intentions behind it, can have results we don’t necessarily want.

Edited: Perhaps this was all that needed to be said.

Last edited:
Since Gran Turismo PSP, PoDi announce their game a few months before the release.

You say that like it's a lot of games and a new trend. It's one game they've done that. We don't know when the full GTS comes out but I highly doubt it's in "a few months". More likely a year.

Maybe this point was missed, but one of the things I was trying to say in my post was that complaints in excess, even with the best of intentions behind it, can have results we don’t necessarily want.

There’s been so much complaints about how bad GT has gotten in so many parts of the internet that it may have come to the point that the publisher and developer have started to believe it themselves. That their game is second tier and so may have started to treat it as such (I certainly hope that's not the case).

So even though I agree with most of it, I think that all the complaining done in excess has actually done more damage to GT than has helped (though not all complaints were done with improving GT in mind).

And please don't take my postings too seriously, I'm just trying look at things from comparatively oblique angles to the usual views held here.
I don't believe for a second that PD is concerned about the fans and what they say on forums like this at all, but let's say it's true. We already know that after releasing what is the least popular GT ever, they are telling us they are taking a new approach with GTSport and taking the genre to a whole new level, supporting motorsport for 100 years etc. Assuming at least part of that is because of all the complaining by fans, it seems to me it's more likely that it's done some good, rather than the opposite.

I tink this is official cover is this WP_20151116_004.jpg

Edit: After further consideration, this theory wasn't that good. GT6 releasing on PS4 being a very big reason.

You should learn to speak your mind without being intimidated by blind fanboys. (stealth edit: or should I say: you shouldn't do such a quick "turnaround")

eliki.jpg
:lol:

Your theory was SPOT ON. Every single point of yours hit hard. It's simply true.
- Is there a lot of new and very good competition (better sounds, physics, A.I., etc.)? Yes, there is.
- Does GT become a little bit of a laughing stock? Yes, it does. EVERYWHERE I read comments about GT, bad sound design, inconsistency in graphics and performance and standard cars are discussed. Why? Because they are absolutely valid critics points. You can not call yourself a modern racing/driving game, when you basically have no functioning A.I. and sound system working! And yes, standard cars are unnecessary, such quality on a PS4 reeks of little professionalism. You got too little manpower to model cars? Hire 20 modelers more, you have the money, where's the problem!?

GT WILL fall hard as a series in every possible way, if it does not improve significantly. You need to realize what that actually means. It was the BIGGEST franchise of Sony, making them HUGE profits. In the PS2 days no other game generated more hype than GT3, this game was EVERYWHERE, every single new magazine, internet sites, commercials, VHS tapes, DVDs, even on the news before it even came out! It really was some sort of social movement.

Now? Where is GT now? You see where this is heading? And it's not to do so much with changing markets, it has much more to do with ever more decreasing quality of the series. GT5 and 6 have NOTHING on previous GTs. Every new GT gets more stale and boring and less polished than the previous one. While the new ones have HUGE content, the FEEL they give you as a player is very little special compared to the old ones, and this is where the true quality and difference lies!/ rant mode off. Now come at me and hate all you want.

Last edited:
I tink this is official cover is thisView attachment 480877

Unlikely, they've just taken the image from the official website and made their own art, complete with the top of the helmet cut off. Plus it doesn't say 'Gran Turismo' anywhere, to any casual person that is a game called SPORT with some sort of logo next to it and a man posing.

It may end up kind of similar though, but with more information and better proportions.

(stealth edit: or should I say: you shouldn't do such a quick "turnaround")

View attachment 480895 :lol:

Buddy_christ.jpg

Now look at the post again.;)

Edit: While I still have the latest post here, I just want to say that I very much want to see PD do well again. It is just so tiring to see so much negativity and even hatred revolve around this one title. All the vacuum cleaner jokes, the snide remarks about zombie AI, the standards becoming the symbol of PD quality by most, all this and seeing it day after day after day... it's just gotten to me.

Truthfully, I don't know how much my disappointment and frustration with GT is because it actually is sub-par or because I've just been here too many times (lurker and now member). Perhaps I need a long break from here to clear my head of all the "GT sucks, X game is superior" rhetoric regardless if it's all justified or not. Maybe I can judge GT with a little more neutrality then.

Edit 2: I guess I'm just learning how much we often under-appreciate the power of emotions.

Last edited:
Hope GTsport will have classy menus, music, something like Gran Tour in GT5 and desn't forget series cars. I don't want another Project Cars, Gran Turismo is for gentlemen drivers :cool:

and graphics?
We don't known anything apart trailer. If you want to learn something read threads in GTS section or search on Google. Also use edit button, don't post double post. Basically we know all that you know. Be patience and wait for Playstation experience in early Desember there we will have new trailer and more info, hopefully...

What is your opinion regarding the colors of gran turismo sport couvers?
And you opinion about cars in gt sport?

and graphics?
It's already been pointed out that the cover is probably just a placeholder and not the real cover so opinions are kind of pointless. We also have no idea on the car list or the final, in game graphics so again, opinions are premature.

I have one question what wich the official cover gran turismo sport?
I have one question for you, where did you come from, and why do keep asking us questions that we don't have the answers to, also that cover art for GT Sport looks so fake and I highly doubt PD would use that since their covers have mostly been cars, and you weren't here for GT3, GT4, GT5P, GT5 or GT6, so why are you here now? And how did you find the site? That's what I what to know.

I have one question for you, where did you come from, and why do keep asking us questions that we don't have the answers to, also that cover art for GT Sport looks so fake and I highly doubt PD would use that since their covers have mostly been cars, and you weren't here for GT3, GT4, GT5P, GT5 or GT6, so why are you here now? And how did you find the site? That's what I what to know.
4 questions actually;)

Back