Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
Well, try looking - on this same page you can see someone quoting me and posting rl video as if that video is directly relevant - and if needed i will find and quote a member (not just me) who has prior to that pointed out that games have specific (non rl) assist as well as trying to simulate those that exist.

If a person claims that using assists in game doesn't obscure our (or at least his) capability to evaluate games physics - and tries to prove that by linking a rl video as proof - than first he is forgeting or ignoring that games have other then rl assists. and at the same time he obviously asumes that this build of GT Sport simulates those assists perfectly acurately as in real life! Otherwise he would not use rl video as reference.
Because if GT Sport does not simulatest rl assists perfectly then he (or anyone) cannot judge anything without intimate knowledge of how inacurate/acurate it does simulate it.

And as i have said, all this after it was more then once pointed out that besides rl assists, games have other much more obstructive ones.
First,you guessing that he is using all driving AIDS available in GT Sport,can you prove it?
Second,if the physics is close enough to the real world and those driving AIDS are not form arcade genre there should be oversteer,maybe not so violently but there should be oversteer.
Third,there is no oversteer(exactly the opposite,understeer)There may be two reasons for this,arcade driving AIDS(not just inaccurate,full arcade AIDS)or in case that the driving AIDS are not arcade there must be a pretty big physics flaw.

What a joke this new rally track... and that's my opinion.

I love the transition between tarmac and dirt, I love the scenery and each part of the track has something special, not just random corners like in the new one. It's the same for Smokey Mountain, Swiss Alps, Tahiti Circuit...

I can't believe it's the same team who has made some crazy beautiful track with lovely flow and today Tokyo track/Dirt track. I'm sorry but there is absolutely zero effort in the scenery and it's a shame for a first party dev.

Best days of rally was definitely GT3 and GT4. GT3 had that beautiful trail of smoke and GT4 introduced amazing scenery and narrow stages of Rally tracks. Based on those standards, the new GT Sport track does fall short of my expectation, which really makes me wonder why can't they just remaster many of the ones from GT4 and GT3.

As promised, I post my detailed impressions.

I apologize in advance, if I make mistakes.

inally ! Finally, I played Gran Turismo Sport at Gamescom.

I drive on 4 different tracks: Tokyo Expressway, Northern Isle Speedway and the new rally circuit, Fishermans Ranch. And of course, Nurburgring Nordschleife, a major track for those who are passionate about racing.

I played with a T300rs. Having a T500RS, I’m on familiar ground.

Here is my opinion, point by point.

Physic.

First, suspensions and weight transfer are much more noticeable, especially in the corners, which makes cars, more lively, more natural in process.

It’s clear that the step forward is big ! But I haven’t finished yet.

At low speeds, the car’s performance is more realistic. Indeed, the grip is less present. Now, we can more easily spin out if we aren’t careful on the throttle. The tires stick less to the road, the braking control is more delicate, in short, everything is right.

"The Real Driving Simulator" has disappeared from box but Gran Turismo have never simulated as well.

A new level has been reached.

On dirt, driving is pleasant. It’s not at Dirt Rally’s level but sufficient to have fun. I just wonder how PoDi will integrate this track in GT Sport. It will be very interesting.

Ah, I played as usual : only ABS is activated.

Well, it's shame that collisions are identical than GT6.

Graphics.

Absolutely gorgeous. Again, PoDi pose a new standard.

On lighting, PoDi remain the masters, they live on another planet. Also, colors are natural and textures are detailed. I didn’t notice framerate drops.

However, there are still some minor technical issues as flickering on barriers, specialy on Nurburgring but it will probably be corrected before release.

Regarding cars, they are modeled perfectly. Just look at the pictures of scape mode to be convinced. In Gran Turismo 6, they were already impressive but now difference is clear. They are really crazy, at PoDi!

And, I find that VGTs integrate very well with real cars.

But really, GT Sport is the best looking racing game, in total.

Tracks.

I didn’t like the oval track because it’s flat. A boring track. Must say that oval tracks are rarely memorable. I'm not sure we will have fun with this, at least in solo.

However, I loved the other 3 tracks !

Nurburgring feels really “green”, liviely with more spectators and track marshals. This tracks seems to have been modeled again because I find it more dangerous than GT6 version.

You should know that we could choose the time day between 3.00pm and 8.00pm. Of course, I chose 8.00pm and of course, it rocks.

About Tokyo Expressway.

I already liked this track on Youtube. But in real life, it’s better! This track is real favourite for me.

At first, I told myself that PoDi can add spectators but finally, after several laps, it's just fine. The atmosphere change completely, you really feel around Tokyo.

I enjoyed the first sector which has a different surface, tunnel and the sector 3 with winding turns. In short, I loved it. I will use this circuit much, for sure.

Finally, the new Rally track. Very nice track, it reminds me Tahiti Maze in its atmosphere. It”s not too short or too long, to give you an idea, a lap takes between 3 and 3 minutes 30.

I had heard criticism that GT Sport haven’t real special.

On the contrary, I approve that PoDi continues to create a closed, fantasy track as they do from GT1. I think it adds fun and there are so many rally games, today, a little change is good.

AI.

Undoubtedly, one of the most beautiful surprises.

Of course, I played in professional mode.

They are much more competitive. To be honest, I have struggled to win. It’s less easy to catch up competitors or create a good gap. In addition, several times a opponent passed me. And that's not all, I was very surprised to see them fight for their position. Many times, they “blocked” me. They didn”t allow me enough space to overtake.

In rallying, it was worse. Those who played at GT6, know how easy it was to win on dirt. There, I finished 2nd...

I was very disappointed not to be able to take photos or videos because I would have liked you see it. I hope that those who played at Gamescom or will play next build will notice this improvement because it was amazing.

In any case, the difficulty level is very good to relax between 2 online races.

Sounds.

Finally. Finally, they improved sound. Could be better, especially in the mechanical sound effects where some aren’t well pronounced but the engines sound much more natural. Not perfect, but clearly there is a change.

HUD.

PoDi changed design of HUD. they reduce counters, put tires indication, add track overview at the corner of screen and etc. But I think it's a too busy in my opinion.

I hope we can removed some things like we used to do in GT6. For example, ranking. I usually remove it from previous episodes but also because it’s yellow. That bothers me.

Otherwise, I would like mention trajectory line. When I played, there was not the famous blue and red lines. But there was green icons. Icons, which are placed on various points of reference.

Great idea from PoDi because not only it’s discrete but it’s also more accurate, much more than line that were often slow.

For cons, I haven’t seen overtaking indicators. For those who have played GT6, there was a small arrow to signal you a car next to you. There, nothing. I hope PoDi will re-use this system. Because it was very useful for me.

---

Replays, still top. PoDi always offers us the best shots. If GT Sport Live works as expected, it will be difficult to watch races on TV.

So, I’m really really happy. It's very promising.

3 months ... .. The wait will be difficult.

I didn't know that i would like this comment. But @Zlork sounds pretty objective. And i thought i give him a thumbs up .

Its FIA sanctioned doesn't stop PD from creating fictional track for serious Esport. I wish PD forfeit rally stages and remake these instead

Last edited:
As promised, I post my detailed impressions.

I apologize in advance, if I make mistakes.

inally ! Finally, I played Gran Turismo Sport at Gamescom.

I drive on 4 different tracks: Tokyo Expressway, Northern Isle Speedway and the new rally circuit, Fishermans Ranch. And of course, Nurburgring Nordschleife, a major track for those who are passionate about racing.

I played with a T300rs. Having a T500RS, I’m on familiar ground.

Here is my opinion, point by point.

Physic.

First, suspensions and weight transfer are much more noticeable, especially in the corners, which makes cars, more lively, more natural in process.

It’s clear that the step forward is big ! But I haven’t finished yet.

At low speeds, the car’s performance is more realistic. Indeed, the grip is less present. Now, we can more easily spin out if we aren’t careful on the throttle. The tires stick less to the road, the braking control is more delicate, in short, everything is right.

"The Real Driving Simulator" has disappeared from box but Gran Turismo have never simulated as well.

A new level has been reached.

On dirt, driving is pleasant. It’s not at Dirt Rally’s level but sufficient to have fun. I just wonder how PoDi will integrate this track in GT Sport. It will be very interesting.

Ah, I played as usual : only ABS is activated.

Well, it's shame that collisions are identical than GT6.

Graphics.

Absolutely gorgeous. Again, PoDi pose a new standard.

On lighting, PoDi remain the masters, they live on another planet. Also, colors are natural and textures are detailed. I didn’t notice framerate drops.

However, there are still some minor technical issues as flickering on barriers, specialy on Nurburgring but it will probably be corrected before release.

Regarding cars, they are modeled perfectly. Just look at the pictures of scape mode to be convinced. In Gran Turismo 6, they were already impressive but now difference is clear. They are really crazy, at PoDi!

And, I find that VGTs integrate very well with real cars.

But really, GT Sport is the best looking racing game, in total.

Tracks.

I didn’t like the oval track because it’s flat. A boring track. Must say that oval tracks are rarely memorable. I'm not sure we will have fun with this, at least in solo.

However, I loved the other 3 tracks !

Nurburgring feels really “green”, liviely with more spectators and track marshals. This tracks seems to have been modeled again because I find it more dangerous than GT6 version.

You should know that we could choose the time day between 3.00pm and 8.00pm. Of course, I chose 8.00pm and of course, it rocks.

About Tokyo Expressway.

I already liked this track on Youtube. But in real life, it’s better! This track is real favourite for me.

At first, I told myself that PoDi can add spectators but finally, after several laps, it's just fine. The atmosphere change completely, you really feel around Tokyo.

I enjoyed the first sector which has a different surface, tunnel and the sector 3 with winding turns. In short, I loved it. I will use this circuit much, for sure.

Finally, the new Rally track. Very nice track, it reminds me Tahiti Maze in its atmosphere. It”s not too short or too long, to give you an idea, a lap takes between 3 and 3 minutes 30.

I had heard criticism that GT Sport haven’t real special.

On the contrary, I approve that PoDi continues to create a closed, fantasy track as they do from GT1. I think it adds fun and there are so many rally games, today, a little change is good.

AI.

Undoubtedly, one of the most beautiful surprises.

Of course, I played in professional mode.

They are much more competitive. To be honest, I have struggled to win. It’s less easy to catch up competitors or create a good gap. In addition, several times a opponent passed me. And that's not all, I was very surprised to see them fight for their position. Many times, they “blocked” me. They didn”t allow me enough space to overtake.

In rallying, it was worse. Those who played at GT6, know how easy it was to win on dirt. There, I finished 2nd...

I was very disappointed not to be able to take photos or videos because I would have liked you see it. I hope that those who played at Gamescom or will play next build will notice this improvement because it was amazing.

In any case, the difficulty level is very good to relax between 2 online races.

Sounds.

Finally. Finally, they improved sound. Could be better, especially in the mechanical sound effects where some aren’t well pronounced but the engines sound much more natural. Not perfect, but clearly there is a change.

HUD.

PoDi changed design of HUD. they reduce counters, put tires indication, add track overview at the corner of screen and etc. But I think it's a too busy in my opinion.

I hope we can removed some things like we used to do in GT6. For example, ranking. I usually remove it from previous episodes but also because it’s yellow. That bothers me.

Otherwise, I would like mention trajectory line. When I played, there was not the famous blue and red lines. But there was green icons. Icons, which are placed on various points of reference.

Great idea from PoDi because not only it’s discrete but it’s also more accurate, much more than line that were often slow.

For cons, I haven’t seen overtaking indicators. For those who have played GT6, there was a small arrow to signal you a car next to you. There, nothing. I hope PoDi will re-use this system. Because it was very useful for me.

---

Replays, still top. PoDi always offers us the best shots. If GT Sport Live works as expected, it will be difficult to watch races on TV.

So, I’m really really happy. It's very promising.

3 months ... .. The wait will be difficult.
Seems as though you were able pick out the same things I did with the physics. The step forward is definitely big, but the one thing you experienced which I didn't was the AI. According to you, there has been a noticeable change, which fills me with some hope. The GT6 AI really was dismal.

just in case you missed these

I don't know about you people, but I like the look of Fisherman's Ranch (or Fisho's Ranch as I will now call it). It reminds me of the older GT dirt courses. It has a bit of everything - hairpins, jumps, sweepers and straights. To some of you, it may not be tasteful, but this variety will be a fun challenge. No matter how you see it.

I didn't know that i would like this comment. But @Zlork sounds pretty objective. And i thought i give him a thumbs up .

Its FIA sanctioned doesn't stop PD from creating fictional track for serious Esport. I wish PD forfeit rally stages and remake these instead

Yup,i liked a lot the capitan circuit, and Paris, new York and hong Kong where great also!
But i realy would like to see this two in HD in GT Sport :

Yup, but they can include them for free practice or time trial events online ... :lol::lol::lol:

The up hill section in the narrow streets of citta with the new generation graphics :drool:

You remind how fun it is to overtake the GTR safety in one of the license test or driving challenge. :3 if very fun outbrake the ai GTR but its not when i overtook him and he turn into me and bang the hell out of me and disqualified me too. LOL

You remind how fun it is to overtake the GTR safety in one of the license test or driving challenge. :3 if very fun outbrake the ai GTR but its not when i overtook him and he turn into me and bang the hell out of me and disqualified me too. LOL
Yup, i think that was licence test, do full track behind the Nissan GT-R R34 Safety car..
GT 4 stays for me as my favourite GT game, for content, tracks...nice photo mode locations.. That where good times!
PD launches a GT4 HD remake/remastered with online options.. And I'll turn crazy.. :drool::lol::lol:

If Polyphony brought back Gran Canyon, El Capitan, Hong Kong, Paris and New York on the PS4. You wouldn't even need to visit them in real life, they would be so realistic, especially with Virtual Reality! :)

Yup, i think that was licence test, do full track behind the Nissan GT-R R34 Safety car..
GT 4 stays for me as my favourite GT game, for content, tracks...nice photo mode locations.. That where good times!
PD launches a GT4 HD remake/remastered with online options.. And I'll turn crazy.. :drool::lol::lol:

Maybe gt4 using simulator on PC? :P but i wanted better wheel support and clutch. It will be the best fun in the world.

New rally track looks boring tbh. It just looks like one of those dirt course maker tracks I used to make in GT5. I'd rather they bring back Grand Canyon from GT4 in full HD glory :drool: Oh well...

Spectators briefly stepping on the course to take a photo of your car was a nice touch at Grand Canyon.
It's little details like that which help make a track unique and memorable, which is what these newer tracks are lacking.

Another problem I have with this new rally track is how gloomy it is. It looks like a thunderstorm is going to roll in or something. Just clearing up the sky would liven it up quite a bit, I think.

Not sure if anyone noticing this, the screen flicker when going through sections with fences on nordschleife are back. Most noticeable during the straight section leading to Flugplatz
I am pretty sure it was solved during e3 build whether on-screen record and direct feed gameplay but now at gamescom this is back.

You can notice this when the car is going through the section with fences . Not sure what they did with the gamescom build though. MAYBE this is why PD dont allowed video recording.

Not sure if anyone noticing this, the screen flicker when going through sections with fences on nordschleife are back. Most noticeable during the straight section leading to Flugplatz
I am pretty sure it was solved during e3 build whether on-screen record and direct feed gameplay but now at gamescom this is back.

You can notice this when the car is going through the section with fences . Not sure what they did with the gamescom build though. MAYBE this is why PD dont allowed video recording.

A little strange, but I'm sure it will be fixed before release.

Also, the AI seems much faster than GT6. Still not great, but faster. Once he overtook the leader (by dive-bombing the crap out of him) you could see it try and overtake him several times.

Also, the AI seems much faster than GT6. Still not great, but faster. Once he overtook the leader (by dive-bombing the crap out of him) you could see it try and overtake him several times.
That was with the race difficulty set at easy so the AI will be harder than that at Professional level. :)

Spectators briefly stepping on the course to take a photo of your car was a nice touch at Grand Canyon.
It's little details like that which help make a track unique and memorable, which is what these newer tracks are lacking.

I agree. There's nothing wrong with the actual track layout, it looks varied and exciting. But the setting is...I don't want to say dull because it's not, but of all the things to have sleepy rolling hills is just so generic.

A fantasy track can be anywhere they want, they can have canyons, towering mountains, cliffs, thick forests, deserts, rivers and lakes, villages, cities, ruins, anything! Polyphony used to be very good at incorporating spectacle into their tracks.

Early access and beta are two very different things.

I'm a Sony beta tester and have never paid for a single one and have always provided feedback.

PD have never run an external Beta on the PS3 or PS4.

Respawn have just released a pre-alpha network test of Titanfall 2 and haven't charged for it.

The timescale it was supposed to release would have allowed changes to be made, particularly to netcode and servers.

Don't conflate sometimes that is unique to PC as an excuse for PD missing a commitment they made.

That isn't relevant to the point I'm making. Their development cycle planned to include a beta early in the year. They didn't have the time to do it, ergo something went wrong somewhere.

I don't think so and I am pretty sure that will not affect the release date either. If all of a sudden they delay the game for next year then may be they will release some demo or beta testing in November. Otherwise I do not see any challenge in releasing the same version that people got to play at E3 as a download version.

I don't think so and I am pretty sure that will not affect the release date either. If all of a sudden they delay the game for next year then may be they will release some demo or beta testing in November. Otherwise I do not see any challenge in releasing the same version that people got to play at E3 as a download version.

I give up, you're still missing the point.

If we are still talking about music on GTS...

Just listened to this song today on Pandora... Played this song in all the GTS trailers and it sounds it fits in them very well (*to my ears*).

They should definitely add it to GTS!

And maybe this too...

I believe GTS could use some more dub and possibly trap. They could re-introduce hip-hop (haven't heard it since GT4).

Just listened to this song today on Pandora... Played this song in all the GTS trailers and it sounds it fits in them very well (*to my ears*).

And maybe this too...

I believe GTS could use some more dub and possibly trap. They could re-introduce hip-hop (haven't heard it since GT4).

God, no.

@Zlork @CLowndes888

Thanks for the time to write the updated reports for everyone and very pleasing to see it gradually come together. :cheers:

The one thing from all these demo plays is the lack of internal cockpit game play which I often like to use even with the wheel, were there different positions of the internal i.e dashboard only and was this available?

I have been wondering why everyone is driving full above chase cam or full screen HUD(I rarely drive games in these two options), not even bonnet cam? Were there options to change these. These images from previous page VGT show they were playable back in May.?

From early May build 👍
2016-08-21_062350.jpg
2016-08-21_062308.jpg

And maybe this too...

The music is cool, but I think that matches the NFS.

@Zlork @CLowndes888

Thanks for the time to write the updated reports for everyone and very pleasing to see it gradually come together. :cheers:

The one thing from all these demo plays is the lack of internal cockpit game play which I often like to use even with the wheel, were there different positions of the internal i.e dashboard only and was this available?

I have been wondering why everyone is driving full above chase cam or full screen HUD(I rarely drive games in these two options), not even bonnet cam? Were there options to change these. These images from previous page VGT show they were playable back in May.?

From early May build 👍
View attachment 578228 View attachment 578229
Still there, there are a video for cockpit view

I posted my impression to GT Facebook :)

That's two opinions confirming AI has improved. I'm still going to wait for reviews but, it's promising.

Oh, that's great that a member thinks the same thing as me. It proves that I'm not crazy :lol:

Seriously, I hope that those who will test GTS at Tokyo Game Show (@nasanu ?) or Paris Games Week will notice the improvement :)

Seems as though you were able pick out the same things I did with the physics. The step forward is definitely big, but the one thing you experienced which I didn't was the AI. According to you, there has been a noticeable change, which fills me with some hope. The GT6 AI really was dismal.

Yes, I saw your feedback. I totally agree with you and I played with a steering wheel :)

AI of GT6 was very very slow. It was easy to win. PoDi wanted this game to be accessible to all. But this time, they finally put a difficulty level. GTS should suit all types of players ! I hope you will have another opportunity to test GTS before its release :)

I don't know about you people, but I like the look of Fisherman's Ranch (or Fisho's Ranch as I will now call it). It reminds me of the older GT dirt courses. It has a bit of everything - hairpins, jumps, sweepers and straights. To some of you, it may not be tasteful, but this variety will be a fun challenge. No matter how you see it.

The environment doesn't seem interesting because it's a ranch. This is a desert.

But the track itself is really nice. The length is good, and as you say, there are hairpins, jumps, sweepers, etc. For me, the challenge was there, much more than in Tahiti Maze for example (by the way, I compared with the GT4 Version for vibe).

As I already said, I noticed the fences issue. But it wasn't as pronounced as on this video.

On build of E3, this problem has disappeared, effectively. But it came back, I think PoDi are optimizing the game.

That was with the race difficulty set at easy so the AI will be harder than that at Professional level. :)

I confirm, on this video, player choose easy mode. I'm disappointed that they didn't choose professional mode :(

@Zlork @CLowndes888

From early May build 👍

It's something I forgot to mention in my impressions. Cockpit view is there, of course ! :)

And I find movements, more natural, less jerky than GT6 version. I'm curious how it will go with the VR

Last edited:
Back