Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
As promised, I post my detailed impressions.

I apologize in advance, if I make mistakes.

inally ! Finally, I played Gran Turismo Sport at Gamescom.

I drive on 4 different tracks: Tokyo Expressway, Northern Isle Speedway and the new rally circuit, Fishermans Ranch. And of course, Nurburgring Nordschleife, a major track for those who are passionate about racing.

I played with a T300rs. Having a T500RS, I’m on familiar ground.

Here is my opinion, point by point.

Physic.

First, suspensions and weight transfer are much more noticeable, especially in the corners, which makes cars, more lively, more natural in process.

It’s clear that the improvements are big ! But I haven’t finished yet.

At low speeds, the car’s performance is more realistic. Indeed, the grip is less present. Now, we can more easily spin out if we aren’t careful on the throttle. The tires stick less to the road, the braking control is more delicate, in short, everything is right.

"The Real Driving Simulator" has disappeared from box but Gran Turismo have never simulated as well.

On dirt, driving is pleasant. It’s not at Dirt Rally’s level but sufficient to have fun. I just wonder how PoDi will integrate this track in GT Sport. It will be very interesting.

Ah, I played as usual : only ABS is activated.

Well, it's shame that collisions are identical than GT6.

Graphics.

Absolutely gorgeous. Again, PoDi pose a new standard.

On lighting, PoDi remain the masters, they live on another planet. Also, colors are natural and textures are detailed. I didn’t notice framerate drops.

However, there are still some minor technical issues as flickering on barriers, specialy on Nurburgring but it will probably be corrected before release.

Regarding cars, they are modeled perfectly. Just look at the pictures of scape mode to be convinced. In Gran Turismo 6, they were already impressive but now difference is clear. They are really crazy, at PoDi!

And, I find that VGTs integrate very well with real cars.

But really, GT Sport is the best looking racing game, in total.

Tracks.

I didn’t like the oval track because it’s flat. A boring track. Must say that oval tracks are rarely memorable. I'm not sure we will have fun with this, at least in solo.

However, I loved the other 3 tracks !

Nurburgring feels really “green”, liviely with more spectators and track marshals. This tracks seems to have been modeled again because I find it more dangerous than GT6 version.

You should know that we could choose the time day between 3.00pm and 8.00pm. Of course, I chose 8.00pm and of course, it rocks.

About Tokyo Expressway.

I already liked this track on Youtube. But in real life, it’s better! This track is real favourite for me.

At first, I told myself that PoDi can add spectators but finally, after several laps, it's just fine. The atmosphere change completely, you really feel around Tokyo.

I enjoyed the first sector which has a different surface, tunnel and the sector 3 with winding turns. In short, I loved it. I will use this circuit much, for sure.

Finally, the new Rally track. Very nice track, it reminds me Tahiti Maze in its atmosphere. It”s not too short or too long, to give you an idea, a lap takes between 3 and 3 minutes 30.

I had heard criticism that GT Sport haven’t real special.

On the contrary, I approve that PoDi continues to create a closed, fantasy track as they do from GT1. I think it adds fun and there are so many rally games, today, a little change is good.

AI.

Undoubtedly, one of the most beautiful surprises.

Of course, I played in professional mode.

They are much more competitive. To be honest, I have struggled to win. It’s less easy to catch up competitors or create a good gap. In addition, several times a opponent passed me. And that's not all, I was very surprised to see them fight for their position. Many times, they “blocked” me. They didn”t allow me enough space to overtake.

In rallying, it was worse. Those who played at GT6, know how easy it was to win on dirt. There, I finished 2nd...

I was very disappointed not to be able to take photos or videos because I would have liked you see it. I hope that those who played at Gamescom or will play next build will notice this improvement because it was amazing.

In any case, the difficulty level is very good to relax between 2 online races.

Sounds.

Finally. Finally, they improved sound. Could be better, especially in the mechanical sound effects where some aren’t well pronounced but the engines sound much more natural. Not perfect, but clearly there is a change.

HUD.

PoDi changed design of HUD. they reduce counters, put tires indication, add track overview at the corner of screen and etc. But I think it's a too busy in my opinion.

I hope we can removed some things like we used to do in GT6. For example, ranking. I usually remove it from previous episodes but also because it’s yellow. That bothers me.

Otherwise, I would like mention trajectory line. When I played, there was not the famous blue and red lines. But there was green icons. Icons, which are placed on various points of reference.

Great idea from PoDi because not only it’s discrete but it’s also more accurate, much more than line that were often slow.

For cons, I haven’t seen overtaking indicators. For those who have played GT6, there was a small arrow to signal you a car next to you. There, nothing. I hope PoDi will re-use this system. Because it was very useful for me.

---

Replays, still top. PoDi always offers us the best shots. If GT Sport Live works as expected, it will be difficult to watch races on TV.

So, I’m really really happy. It's very promising.

3 months ... .. The wait will be difficult.

Last edited:

I drive on 4 different tracks: Tokyo Expressway, Northern Isle Speedway and the new rally circuit, Fishermans Ranch. And of course, Nurburgring Nordschleife, a major track for those who are passionate about racing.

Physic.

First, suspensions and weight transfer are much more noticeable, especially in the corners, which makes cars, more lively, more natural in process.

It’s clear that the step forward is big ! But I haven’t finished yet.

At low speeds, the car’s performance is more realistic. Indeed, the grip is less present. Now, we can more easily spin out if we aren’t careful on the throttle. The tires stick less to the road, the braking control is more delicate, in short, everything is right.

"The Real Driving Simulator" has disappeared from box but Gran Turismo have never simulated as well.

A new level has been reached.

On dirt, driving is pleasant. It’s not at Dirt Rally’s level but sufficient to have fun. I just wonder how PoDi will integrate this track in GT Sport.

Graphics.

On lighting, PoDi remain the masters, they live on another planet. Also, colors are natural and textures are detailed. I didn’t notice framerate drops.

However, there are still some minor technical issues as flickering but it will probably be corrected before release.

Regarding cars, they are modeled perfectly. Just look at the pictures of scape mode to be convinced. In Gran Turismo 6, they were already impressive but now difference is clear. They are really crazy, at PoDi!

But really, GT Sport is the best looking game, in total.

Tracks.

I didn’t like the oval track because it’s flat. A boring track. Must say that oval tracks are rarely memorable. I'm not sure we will have fun with this, at least in solo.

Nurburgring feels really “green”, liviely with more spectators and track marshals. This tracks seems to have been modeled again because I find it more dangerous than GT6 version.

You should know that we could choose the time day between 3.00pm and 8.00pm. Of course, I chose 8.00pm and of course, it rocks.

About Tokyo Expressway.

I already liked this track on Youtube. But in real life, it’s better! This track is real favourite for me.

At first, I told myself that PoDi can add spectators but finally, after several laps, it's just fine. The atmosphere change completely, you really feel around Tokyo.

I enjoyed the first sector which has a different surface, tunnel and the sector 3 with winding turns. In short, I loved it. I will use this circuit much, for sure.

Finally, the new Rally track. Very nice track, it reminds me Tahiti Maze in its atmosphere. It”s not too short or too long, to give you an idea, a lap takes between 3 and 3 minutes 30.

On the contrary, I approve that PoDi continues to create a closed, fantasy track as they do from GT1. I think it adds fun and there are so many rally games, today, a little change is good.

IA.

They are much more competitive. To be honest, I have struggled to win. It’s less easy to catch up competitors or create a good gap. In addition, several times a opponent passed me. And that's not all, I was very surprised to see them fight for their position. Many times, they “blocked” me. They didn”t allow me enough space to overtake.

In rallying, it was worse. Those who played at GT6, know how easy it was to win on dirt. There, I was far behind !

I was very disappointed not to be able to take photos or videos because I would have liked you see it. I hope that those who played at Gamescom or will play next build will notice this improvement because it was amazing.

Sounds.

Finally. Finally, they improved sound. Could be better, especially in the mechanical sound effects where some aren’t well pronounced but the engines sound much more natural. Not perfect, but clearly there is a change.

HUD.

PoDi changed design of HUD. they reduce counters, put tires indication, add track overview at the corner of screen and etc. But I think it's a too busy in my opinion.

I hope we can removed some things like we used to do in GT6. For example, ranking. I usually remove it from previous episodes but also because it’s yellow. That bothers me.

Otherwise, I would like mention trajectory line. When I played, there was not the famous blue and red lines. But there was green icons. Icons, which are placed on various points of reference.

Great idea from PoDi because not only it’s discrete but it’s also more accurate, much more than line that were often slow.

For cons, I haven’t seen overtaking indicators. For those who have played GT6, there was a small arrow to signal you a car next to you. There, nothing. I hope PoDi will re-use this system. Because it was very useful for me.

---

Replays, still top. PoDi always offers us the best shots. If GT Sport Live works as expected, it will be difficult to watch races on TV.

Well, despite your opinion being pointless, I liked your impressions man! ;) Thanks

Also, I love the French way of spelling AI... :)

I know scapes is a amazing thing and it is "changing the script" on the way we take photos in simulation games, but when are we actually going to see more gameplay shots on the tracks in game? And more content from different cars than just GT3?

Nice analysis @Zlork

No it is not. If you think assists don't make it easier to driver then you are very inaccurate.

Additionally, being an owner of Assetto Corsa since early access days, more realistic physics makes it easier to drive in the sim because the cars react as they are supposed to.

True, assists make the game easier. But easier doesnt mean more arcade, neither more difficult means more simulation. We have to separate difficulty from physics. Could you say Driveclub in hardcore mode is more simulation than Assetto with all assists? No.

"more realistic physics makes it easier to drive in the sim because the cars react as they are supposed to." No, absolutely no. In Assetto, even when the physics are much more natural than Driveclub´s, is much more easier to loose the car. In Driveclub is very very difficult to spin, almost imposible with some cars. In Assetto you can loose the car even if it is a 500 Abarth.

Arcade or Simulator is only related to phisics, not to difficulty.

@Zlork, thank you for your impressions of the demo, good to read. 👍 For the sounds, were there headphones or was it just coming from the TV? Empty room or crowded with noise?

(By the way, it's "AI" not "IA".)

Thank you ! :)

Unfortunately no headphone. Sound coming from the TV.

The stand was well placed. So, there was not too many people, especially in the morning.

For cons, I asked to increase the volume a lot because it was ridiculous.

Well, despite your opinion being pointless, I liked your impressions man! ;) Thanks

Also, I love the French way of spelling AI... :)

Thank you ! :)

IA : Intelligence Artificielle.
AI: Artificial Intelligence.

It's close ! :D But I will fix it.

Pointless. You are not even remotely neutral at all when it comes to PD and GT. Therefore your rose tinted view will just feed the expectations of fans of the series.
It's not pointless.

Everyone has bias and every one is free to post an opinion, from the collective experiences an overall view can be formed.

God forbid that GTS is as Pcars that game is utter **** literary unplayable...
The sounds and visuals are amazing tho
Attempts to counter a perceived exaggeration with a gross exaggeration.

All while not addressing the point actually made, which then makes it come across as flame-bait.

Don't do this again.

It's not pointless.

Everyone has bias and every one is free to post an opinion, from the collective experiences an overall view can be formed.

Attempts to counter a perceived exaggeration with a gross exaggeration.

All while not addressing the point actually made, which then makes it come across as flame-bait.

Don't do this again.
Are you saying that @GTEFGHA's opinion of pCARS is an exaggeration? Because, if so, that may not be an exaggeration to him. If I know one thing, it's that it's definitely not to me.

Are you saying that @GTEFGHA's opinion of pCARS is an exaggeration? Because, if so, that may not be an exaggeration to him. If I know one thing, it's that it's definitely not to me.
So it is literally unplayable (which is a statement of fact not an opinion)?

As in its actually impossible to play?

Odd as my copy literally plays fine every day.

My point is that his reply is both a gross exaggeration and has nothing to do with the post it replied to, which was comparing the physics of the two.

Physic.

It’s clear that the step forward is big ! But I haven’t finished yet.

A new level has been reached.

On dirt, driving is pleasant. It’s not at Dirt Rally’s level but sufficient to have fun. I just wonder how PoDi will integrate this track in GT Sport. It will be very interesting.

Graphics.

However, there are still some minor technical issues as flickering on barriers, specialy on Nurburgring but it will probably be corrected before release.

But really, GT Sport is the best looking game, in total.

Tracks.

About Tokyo Expressway.

AI.

In rallying, it was worse. Those who played at GT6, know how easy it was to win on dirt. There, I was far behind !

Sounds.

HUD.

---

Were you able to go to tuning/setup screen to see the car setup ? What car/tires did you used when driving ?

Last edited:
So it is literally unplayable (which is a statement of fact not an opinion)?

As in its actually impossible to play?

Odd as my copy literally plays fine every day.

My point is that his reply is both a gross exaggeration and has nothing to do with the post it replied to, which was comparing the physics of the two.
Well, it was a poor choice of words on @GTEFGHA's part, which was compounded by the fact that you seem to have accidentally misinterpreted what he was saying.

Since he and I share the same opinion, let me rephrase: it's playable in that it's a (sometimes barely) functioning piece of software, but for people like us, the gameplay is absolute junk. The actual act of driving isn't fun at all in pCARS.

Well, it was a poor choice of words on @GTEFGHA's part, which was compounded by the fact that you seem to have accidentally misinterpreted what he was saying.

Since he and I share the same opinion, let me rephrase: it's playable in that it's a (sometimes barely) functioning piece of software, but for people like us, the gameplay is absolute junk. The actual act of driving isn't fun at all in pCARS.
And as an opinion I have no issue with that, as a statement of fact I do.

However context is also important, and this would not be the first time the member in question had dressed opinion up as fact in the firm of borderline flame bait.

And as an opinion I have no issue with that, as a statement of fact I do.

However context is also important, and this would not be the first time the member in question had dressed opinion up as fact in the firm of borderline flame bait.
Fair enough, then. :cheers:

Gee, you're such super expert that you have no knowledge of a little thing known as "driving ASSISTS"? And how such driver like in that video are bound to use everything available (and still need more :D )
Or you know all that but just cant resist the urge... Or "tribal crud" or something.

(to both super_gt and SlimCharles)
Can you guess whether ESP and TC in this car are ON or OFF?

Yep,ESP and TC are ON

Also I have seen many accidents in Fuchsrohre with modern cars which have all kinds of driving AIDS and this is not helping them.

Can you guess whether ESP and TC in this car are ON or OFF?

Yep,ESP and TC are ON

Also I have seen many accidents in Fuchsrohre with modern cars which have all kinds of driving AIDS and this is not helping them.

Doing what he did without ESP and TC may led him off track if looking at how quick/much he react - steering the car, the car stay reasonably stable there because the assist. So, the assists he used helped him there in very hairy situation ( just my observation )

Games have types of assists that DO NOT EXIST in real life.

But, yes, it is futile to keep repeating that to people who are SET on flat out ignoring that :D

Also, what makes you think that when a game has one of those rl assists, that those are represented acurately??? And do you expect they would more likely be stroger or weaker from rl ones? Hm?

So, you expect that some game (in this instace GT) SIMULATES those assists Perfectly, yet simultaniously you claim to see evidence of poor simulation...

Well, just great 👍

Games have types of assists that DO NOT EXIST in real life.

But, yes, it is futile to keep repeating that to people who are SET on flat out ignoring that :D
I've not seen anyone ignore that or even claim such a thing is not true?

Also, what makes you think that when a game has one of those rl assists, that those are represented acurately??? And do you expect they would more likely be stroger or weaker from rl ones? Hm?
Well that would depend on how good the simulation is.

The better the sim the better it would simulate how real world active safety systems work.

So, you expect that some game (in this instace GT) SIMULATES those assists Perfectly, yet simultaniously you claim to see evidence of poor simulation...
No. I think most people would say that if a title simulates these systems accuratly then is a good sim and if they don't its a poor sim (in the area of assists).

Well, just great 👍
Isn't it just. Could you stop shouting now as well please.

Ahhhhhh @Zlork , nice impressions there, thanks very much mate.

160px-GradeYAY.png

I've not seen anyone ignore that or even claim such a thing is not true?

Well that would depend on how good the simulation is.

The better the sim the better it would simulate how real world active safety systems work.

No. I think most people would say that if a title simulates these systems accuratly then is a good sim and if they don't its a poor sim (in the area of assists).

Isn't it just. Could you stop shouting now as well please.

Well, try looking - on this same page you can see someone quoting me and posting rl video as if that video is directly relevant - and if needed i will find and quote a member (not just me) who has prior to that pointed out that games have specific (non rl) assist as well as trying to simulate those that exist.

If a person claims that using assists in game doesn't obscure our (or at least his) capability to evaluate games physics - and tries to prove that by linking a rl video as proof - than first he is forgeting or ignoring that games have other then rl assists. and at the same time he obviously asumes that this build of GT Sport simulates those assists perfectly acurately as in real life! Otherwise he would not use rl video as reference.
Because if GT Sport does not simulatest rl assists perfectly then he (or anyone) cannot judge anything without intimate knowledge of how inacurate/acurate it does simulate it.

And as i have said, all this after it was more then once pointed out that besides rl assists, games have other much more obstructive ones.

So, yes, in my opinion, you could have seen people do that wich you claim you have not seen...

And you last two observations - yes, that is exactly my point You and I both are in complete agreement there - if one person claims that he can judge physics regardless of assists he can only do that by assuming that these assists are very very well simulated - yet they seem to assume assists are simulated perfectly so they do not represent obstacle to judging physics - while at the same time claiming how that very same game has obviously flawed physics... Cheers to their logic :cheers:

I think yours logic i accurate, theirs is not.

(I clearly was not shouting - shouting with capital letters would be if I "capitalised" plenty of words one after another or whole sentence. What I mean to say, in context of my post I was only using it rarely instead of bolding letters... Typing on mobile. But, ok, I never really find it difficult to apologise, so i will. I apologise to everyone who felt in the smalest way as if i was shouting at them)

Back