Gran Turismo Sport: General Discussion

• Thread starter Formidable
  • 47,123 comments
Well, we must let them release GT Sport as they always imagined and we'll see.

I think this concept could work very well. Gran Turismo community has always been very strong, and I'm not just talking about GTPlanet but also for all dedicated sites in the world.
GT Sport could be perfect in every way originally envisaged, it is still unlikely to appeal to those who

- don't play online.
- primarily buy GT for upgrading road cars to drift or cruise.
- only want to drag race cars, especially modded and tuned road cars

As quick examples.

GTS just doesn't have as wide an appeal with the online competition focus, lack of proper career, lack of huge number of road cars and lack of upgrading cars. It isn't going to be appealing to a lot of people in the same way Assetto Corsa and Project CARS aren't. I remember when the former was being promoted long before GTS existed and there was plenty of people saying they weren't interested in the serious racing that pCARS was offering and would wait for the next GT instead, where they could tune up road cars and so on.

I could be proven wrong of course but anecdotal evidence seems to suggest people want different things from a racing game, which GT used to at least try to offer as best it could.

Last edited:
In saying that I think GT Sport could be/is a good concept for a racing game, it works for the "hardcore" market of racing fans like Projects CARS and Assetto Corsa do but it just needs to be backed up by another, more accessible title IMO. That is what Forza has done with Horizon, although their 'base' title is still not as focused as GT Sport. But they recognised the market for those who want to race cars and have fun with them but not in a sterile, realistic circuit environment.

This has been my EXACT point all along (and the focus of the Poll thread I created)
GT:Sport is to launch the new "Base" title, then PD will follow up with the Off-track and casual content in a second title.

I could be proven wrong of course but anecdotal evidence seems to suggest people want different things from a racing game, which GT used to at least try to offer as best it could.

From the displays we've seen so far
GT Sport is doing what it set out to do.
That is, providing the market with a Racing Game. But little else.

The Driving, Touring, Modding we are used to in GT is not in Kaz's design brief for this game.

Personally, GT Has very rarely got the Racing aspects of the GT games right.
I feel it's a good idea for GT:Sport to concentrate solely on the racing aspect to finally get that right.

Last edited:
They're dicking around an awful lot with the formula for what people would traditionally call a GT game and taking an awful lot of risk with what they've announced to claim they don't give a crap about bouncing back from the PS3 endeavors.

Poly is making a big mistake with the simulation focus. GT3 was fun and I'm sure it's still a better game than GT6 (except the simulation aspect) . I know there are less cars, tracks... But better presentation, huge career, challenging AI, amazing soundtrack, the third view is actually enjoyable not too stiff, replays with filters and heat haze are the true next gen experience^^ and track feels alive with nice lighting and moving banners. I'm not a sim racer, so if GTSport is market like the best simulation and nothing else, I won't buy it.

Put it this way guys - PD need to take a step back, and think about what made the series so great in the past. In other words, going back to basics. I feel as though the game has been over complicated for no reason TBH, and that's no way to appeal to a wide audience. GT3 and 4 were fantastic because it wasn't hugely complicated - it was easy to pick up a car and start racing right away, without unnecessary BS. What I hate about some modern games these days is the complexity (looking at you Project Cars). I think PD are over thinking their game too much, trying too hard to be the best in show. The emphasis on graphics is overwhelming and I think it's working against them. Physics are the critical aspect - and the sounds.

GTA, Uncharted, Dark Souls/Bloodborne, The Last Of Us, imagine the popularity of these franchises if they ditched the single player experience and focused on competitive multiplayer?

Overwatch says hi :)

(but I get your point)

Last edited:
I simply don't see that the Gran Turismo brand can survive for another 15 years only with titles like GT Sport, no matter how good they are. Not unless there is a huge change in the gaming landscape where the focus is online, competitive gaming over casual experiences, primarily single player.

GTA, Uncharted, Dark Souls/Bloodborne, The Last Of Us, imagine the popularity of these franchises if they ditched the single player experience and focused on competitive multiplayer?
GTA has blossomed by welcoming the online world as its bread and butter, but the other 3 would become completely different games, which I assume is your point. Dark Souls is famous for its stunningly horrific way of making players persevere through it, and I'm a big fan of the TLoU, enough where I still feel the game should remain a single title in its franchise (don't even want to see a movie adaption) because I thought the story was strong enough to begin & end Joel & Ellie's tale in the way it did. I've played through it several times, but have actually never touched the multiplayer at all.

After playing FH3, the delay of Gtsport was the best thing to do. Even if one is an arcade game and Gt a sim, the fun factor seems missing in GTsport. The comparison would have been very hard for GT and I'm sure Sony must know it.
If they want to sell millions of GT, we need something more than just a good feeling with a wheel. (Which I don't have...)
I still love GT but I'm not very optimistic if they don't do a U turn.

GTA has blossomed by welcoming the online world as its bread and butter, but the other 3 would become completely different games, which I assume is your point. Dark Souls is famous for its stunningly horrific way of making players persevere through it, and I'm a big fan of the TLoU, enough where I still feel the game should remain a single title in its franchise (don't even want to see a movie adaption) because I thought the story was strong enough to begin & end Joel & Ellie's tale in the way it did. I've played through it several times, but have actually never touched the multiplayer at all.

A little off topic here but, as i think Ellie and Joel's story was great and make a new and better is a hard task, i want so bad a new TLoU!! And you should try the online, it's really hard at the start, i struglled a lot,but once you got the hand of it, it's amazing.

Overwatch says hi :)

(but I get your point)

Yes I purposely didn't mention an FPS franchise because currently that is probably the one genre that can survive as multiplayer only, along with things that have always been about online only like a MOBA. Maybe fighting games also but other genres just don't have that reach, not yet anyway.

A little off topic here but, as i think Ellie and Joel's story was great and make a new and better is a hard task, i want so bad a new TLoU!! And you should try the online, it's really hard at the start, i struglled a lot,but once you got the hand of it, it's amazing.
I'd love one too, but it'd be hard to put the 2 in a setting that creates the same feeling I got from the first game. If anyone can do it, it's NaughtyDog but even they have said they won't do a sequel unless they can come up with something really special; I like the fact they know the story is special to the game.

I might dab in the MP the next time I'm in the mood to catch feels and play again, but no promises. :P

[/enoughOTonabeautifulgame]

the fun factor seems missing in GTsport.

I can't count how many hours I've spent on GT6 just in free run mode, or an infinite lap Arcade Race just driving around, not concentrating on winning anything or lap times.
Offline, single-player, driving a cool car around at 7/10ths, like you would if it were your own AMG or MX5 on an open road or track-day.
long tracks like Sierra and Nurburgring are wonderful to drive at reduced pace, you can just get a really nice flow, keep it in 4th and 5th gear for most of it at reduced rev's with the audio cranked up, even some of the vacuum cleaners sound good.

Maybe It's just me, but if it has and engine and wheels, and give me somewhere to drive it, I'll make my own fun.

Way back when the original GT came out, I had a MadCatz wheel, a100% standard AE86 Levin fitted with comfort tyres, I had no idea that drifting even existed, I'd spend hours on the test course seeing how far I could link up drift after drift, spin it out into a 360 and keep going.
At 15 years old , all i was doing was hooning around, but little did I know It was all car-control training.

If people can't make their own fun, that's not the games fault

Some people can find genuine fun for hours alone in an empty room. Some people can be extremely creative physically and mentally with very little given to them. Others can't. We're all different, a game developer still has to do their absolute best to make the game fun for everyone. Just the mere presence of cars and tracks isn't going to cut it for many people.

However, the customer is paying for an entertainment product. If people can and want to make their own fun, then that's great. They shouldn't have to. Any game should present an experience that, if not fun, is at least worth the player's time and money to partake in.

Any game should present an experience that, if not fun, is at least worth the player's time and money to partake in.

Think about it for a player who has never owned a GT Game before, but likes the idea of racing fast cars.
They will pick up GT Sport off the shelf, read the packet and choose to buy it or not based on that info.
They will take it home, jump into an exceptionally rendered sports-car where they can race against AI or other real people in casual, or proper FIA Sanctioned* events.
Different events will be held daily, weekly, monthly, with new content available for a number of years through DLC.

If you (generically, as a fan of cars and motorsport) can not find ANY fun in that, well. What hope does the world have.

Think about it for a player who has never owned a GT Game before, but likes the idea of racing fast cars.
They will pick up GT Sport off the shelf, read the packet and choose to buy it or not based on that info.
They will take it home, jump into an exceptionally rendered sports-car where they can race against AI or other real people in casual, or proper FIA Sanctioned* events.
Different events will be held daily, weekly, monthly, with new content available for a number of years through DLC.

If you (generically, as a fan of cars and motorsport) can not find ANY fun in that, well. What hope does the world have.

One could apply that reasoning to pretty much any racing game. Especially when you're just quoting marketing blurb.

On paper, something like GT6 sounds like the greatest racing game ever to be made. The reality is that it's largely mediocre implementations of ideas that have been kicking around in various forms for at least a decade, it's just a lot of them put together in one game. It's greatest strength is the range of content that it offers, and it doesn't even make it particularly easy for the player to use that to create their own fantasy.

GT Sport as of what we know now could end up to be anything from the greatest revolution in racing games yet seen to a substandard online-only racer with hardly any single player content. You assume that what it presents will be fun, whereas it's not so much what it presents as how it presents it that makes it fun.

Think of all the FPS games that share basically identical mechanics and goals, but some are great because of all the ancillary stuff that goes on around that and others are trash.

I can't count how many hours I've spent on GT6 just in free run mode, or an infinite lap Arcade Race just driving around, not concentrating on winning anything or lap times.
Offline, single-player, driving a cool car around at 7/10ths, like you would if it were your own AMG or MX5 on an open road or track-day.
long tracks like Sierra and Nurburgring are wonderful to drive at reduced pace, you can just get a really nice flow, keep it in 4th and 5th gear for most of it at reduced rev's with the audio cranked up, even some of the vacuum cleaners sound good.

Maybe It's just me, but if it has and engine and wheels, and give me somewhere to drive it, I'll make my own fun.

Way back when the original GT came out, I had a MadCatz wheel, a100% standard AE86 Levin fitted with comfort tyres, I had no idea that drifting even existed, I'd spend hours on the test course seeing how far I could link up drift after drift, spin it out into a 360 and keep going.
At 15 years old , all i was doing was hooning around, but little did I know It was all car-control training.

That's the problem, the only mode that I find enjoyable in GT6 was time trial. Hotlapping and watching replays and sometimes I read descriptions of cars. But no racing because the AI is awful, no competitive time trial because no leaderboards...
In the end, I will probably buy GTsport. Poly has to convince all the kids to buy GTsport when Forza is now the GT.

I have 2 questions.

1.) Anybody heard from the GT social media guy lately?

and most importantly....

2.) @Jordan , do you have a pair of Jordans?
So original, I know

I've said this a couple times in other threads, but the problem with GT at the moment is it's trying to be everything at once but does nothing particularly well. It's too serious for the NFS crowd. Too arcadey for the hardcore sim crowd. And car list is too outdated/boring/fictional for the car collecting crowd (who has migrated to Forza). Really the only good thing is graphics (but other titles have caught up as well) and photomode (which not everyone uses). Everything else, there are other games that does it better. The only thing GT probably does well is slowly introducing the NFS crowd to a more sim-like game without throwing them in the deep end. But not everyone wants to make that jump. And Forza across the pond does it just as well (with more FUN).

I used to be able to have my own fun in GT just by picking a car and driving round and round the Nordschleife, but after trying out AC the cars in GT feel like a toy to drive. So from my point of view, there is nothing left to do that's "fun" in GT. I still love the franchise for its history and the occasional quirky things Kaz brings, but as a game I don't feel compelled to play it anymore.

I've said this a couple times in other threads, but the problem with GT at the moment is it's trying to be everything at once but does nothing particularly well. It's too serious for the NFS crowd. Too arcadey for the hardcore sim crowd. And car list is too outdated/boring/fictional for the car collecting crowd (who has migrated to Forza). Really the only good thing is graphics (but other titles have caught up as well) and photomode (which not everyone uses). Everything else, there are other games that does it better. The only thing GT probably does well is slowly introducing the NFS crowd to a more sim-like game without throwing them in the deep end. But not everyone wants to make that jump. And Forza across the pond does it just as well (with more FUN).

I used to be able to have my own fun in GT just by picking a car and driving round and round the Nordschleife, but after trying out AC the cars in GT feel like a toy to drive. So from my point of view, there is nothing left to do that's "fun" in GT. I still love the franchise for its history and the occasional quirky things Kaz brings, but as a game I don't feel compelled to play it anymore.
The more I play Forza, the more I see the obvious flaws of GT. For example, I see no object interactions in GTSport. If you touch a wall or a metallic barrier, no marks on it. No print of tires in the grass or ridiculous collisions between cars or cars and wall. I hope it's just a matter of build and the orange plastic barriers at the rally track will change (the whole scenery should change...)
I think the hardware won't change anything, it's just the Poly way of thinking, a game design decision.
They keep the same old camera views with the awful "roof" view but nothing new like an actual hood view.

(They still have the best lighting engine IMO)

These little details you talk about really adds the immersion and breaks up a little the unwanted uncanny valley feel from last GTs.

I look forward to your detailed impressions ! :)
I would say nothing different of yours :)
So it s the build with the FRS Toyota and the GT86 adding, graphic, it very clean, very smooth, i saw the guy who drove on Tokyo before me, it s quite good, still some work to do on texture on background ( building), but on the foreground, it very good, lighting, texture, tunnel. On Nurb i love trees lol, the con there still are the white clipping on trees and fenders.

I was allowed to play only 5min on nurburgring lol 4min if i choose the sunny version because the kid ( yes it s a kid who advice you at the stand) who said it s longer than the other one, but it s not
So i wanna test the AI, so i select the hardest difficulty ( professionnal) , then go to driving assist, i notice there are not the 1-10 traction control anymore, Rs tire, abs on 1, active steering off, ffb set on 4.

I drove the Subaru wrx sti, my impression on the driving it s very alive still on RS compared to GT6 who is 'flat', having some ' understeering+rolling' ( i guess ?) if i brake hard and lately, it s what i can only say for the physics, the FFB is a little weak at 4, maybe it s the wheel (T300rs)
For Ai, i really enjoying the race, playing fairly i would say you have to play 80-90% of your skill to catch the 1st, like on seasonnal event on GT6. About how the AI fight, i cant say it yet with only 5min of race, but i overtake on exterior and interior on curb, so i fighting with them and enjoying it myself so it s the important thing

When i left the race ( time limit) i was just overstaking the 5th to be 4th on the curb before the straight for the long O with inclined surface ( i don't know the name sorry lol), and i was 5th for a long period, trying to reduce the gap between me are the 4th, but they keep maintain it, a bit frustrating if i cant do better if i left the race lol so it a good point, i had a clean race, just a little bump on the barrier but not loosing much second ( -0,3s)
So it s my impression for the 5 minutes of Gts, and keep in mind the a low car class, maybe with faster car, the AI wont be more efficiant, but with the Sub class, i push the car very hard and it s a good point :) not at 100% cause it s my first play and never used to the feeling of T300rs, but easy 85-90% :)

Last edited:
the FFB is a little weak at 4, maybe it s the wheel (T300rs)

Dont think so. The T300 has quite strong FFB (unless it was broken or the ffb motors were age worn).

Would be a paradox that for the first time the AI would be improved in the first GT game that the offline mode has almost no importance.

Dont think so. The T300 has quite strong FFB (unless it was broken or the ffb motors were age worn).

Would be a paradox that for the first time the AI would be improved in the first GT game that the offline mode has almost no importance.
Compare to the 500Rs i got with GT6, the FFB on GT6 is stronger at 4, maybe you're right, but it s the first day of the event, or they use an old product i don't know lol, or maybe it s the FFB of GTS
Which it s unfortunate, hope they add event lately with upgrade

Latest Posts

Back