Gran Turismo Sport VR discussion thread

• Thread starter cocoflowa
  • 242 comments

Are you interested in GT Sport VR experience?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Picked myself up the VR set.
At this stage I'm still on the fence.

Truth be told I've had more 'wow' moments than 'whoopdie-do' moments.
So I guess signs are good, but I'm still a little dubious.
The fit of the headset on my pin-head remains a concern. :lol:

Grabbed DC VR but I still haven't set myself up properly with the camera, etc. to warrant loading the disc.
I want to give it the best chance.

Saying that, I think the VR system will impress.
The silly VR Playroom worked very well, so I'm hoping sitting in a car will be one hell of an experience.

Looking forward to trying DC VR, and can't wait to see what GT Sport (be it limited function) will offer.

I was reading a review of the PS4 Pro on Trusted Reviews and this was very nice to see.

4K TV

"I was most blown away by Gran Turismo Sport, which runs at 4K (using 1800p checkerboard rendering) and HDR at 60fps
. Ferrari red is accurately rendered, which is a big deal because it wasn’t possible until now, and always appeared a little too orange. It’s a subtle thing, but when everything looks a little more realistic, it all adds up.

Less subtle is the matter of contrast. Sun glinting off a shiny bonnet ought to make you squint, and here it definitely does. Combined with the fine bumps and scratches on the metal, that’s the most lifelike video game rendering of cars I’ve ever seen."

PSVR

"The problem with these titles is that they were built with the standard PS4 in mind. I’m certain that upcoming PSVR or PSVR-compatible games will benefit from the extra power.

After trying Gran Turismo Sport on a 4K HDR TV, I tried it in PSVR. What I experienced was detailed and stable – way better than the blurry mess that is DriveClub VR."

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/ps4-pro-review#LziTvJi2LfsvkBhz.99

Now I don't agree DCVR is a blurry mess and is fine for me but that is another thread!:P

DCVR is already good/ok and imagine GT Sport will be even better (at least from a graphical point of view).

"As polished as GT Sport in VR already is, I’ve no doubt Polyphony will make improvements on the road to release, shaping up the latest Gran Turismo into an immersive sim racer like no other"

source: http://www.psu.com/preview/31714/gran-turismo-sport-impressions

@BrainsBush @Denur I gave in and brought the PS4 Pro (should be here this week) for the VR will try out BF1 & UC4 and also will probably pick up a 4k HDR tv this week too-I can't wait any longer for GTS (at least I am ready for it now) :P

Played both single player and VR at the PSX event. the regular game looked amazing as expected and I chose nurburgring to maximize my play time.

I also wanted to try VR and waited longer to try it. I have been very unimpressed by all of the rather simplistic VR games that I have seen but I knew GT VR would be really cool.

They had the whole setup with the headset, headphones, seat, and steering wheel and I was fully immersed after taking a second to adjust. the demo was different from single player as you could not choose your track and there were only 3 car choices. It was a time trial on willow springs and unfortunately I couldn't pick the STI. your choices were miata, mclaren 675lt, and the Mazda race car. VR gave me a little headache and graphics didn't seem as good as the regular game. It felt pretty real and I had to ask the guy if my seat was moving but it he said no I was leaning on the turns. halfway through the second and final lap, I had to stop focusing on racing and just look around to experience it and take it all in and I crashed. overall it was a cool thing to try once, but I don't know if it's worth it unless you had the whole setup with the wheel, pedals, and seat.

Played both single player and VR at the PSX event. the regular game looked amazing as expected and I chose nurburgring to maximize my play time.

I also wanted to try VR and waited longer to try it. I have been very unimpressed by all of the rather simplistic VR games that I have seen but I knew GT VR would be really cool.

They had the whole setup with the headset, headphones, seat, and steering wheel and I was fully immersed after taking a second to adjust. the demo was different from single player as you could not choose your track and there were only 3 car choices. It was a time trial on willow springs and unfortunately I couldn't pick the STI. your choices were miata, mclaren 675lt, and the Mazda race car. VR gave me a little headache and graphics didn't seem as good as the regular game. It felt pretty real and I had to ask the guy if my seat was moving but it he said no I was leaning on the turns. halfway through the second and final lap, I had to stop focusing on racing and just look around to experience it and take it all in and I crashed. overall it was a cool thing to try once, but I don't know if it's worth it unless you had the whole setup with the wheel, pedals, and seat.
Thanks for the report:tup:👍
Did you notice any lag between your steering inputs and the wheel in VR?

so it is just some cars and tracks that are VR capable in GTS. Makes sense, they need to animate the drivers hands and wheel of the car so it can rotate 1:1 with your wheel. And probably model the entire interior better for a vr experiance.
I mean what I have seen is that GTS still have 180-270 of wheel rotation.... it ssssuuuuuxxxxxssss :P

Makes sense, they need to animate the drivers hands and wheel of the car so it can rotate 1:1 with your wheel.

Not really. They can stick with the limited range that they have or remove the wheel entirely like some other games do. The on screen representation is highly unlikely to match what your real hands are doing no matter how they render it.

Not really. They can stick with the limited range that they have or remove the wheel entirely like some other games do. The on screen representation is highly unlikely to match what your real hands are doing no matter how they render it.

So you want to drive a car without a wheel infront of you? When I see people drive without the driver/drivers arms in VR I think they are crazy, I mean who wants to be a ghost driving a car? And without a wheel in VR would be even less immersive and natural... Wheel and driver should be present in a VR title as it make you think that the driver is you.

So you want to drive a car without a wheel infront of you? When I see people drive without the driver/drivers arms in VR I think they are crazy, I mean who wants to be a ghost driving a car? And without a wheel in VR would be even less immersive and natural... Wheel and driver should be present in a VR title as it make you think that the driver is you.

I don't know, but I'd certainly consider it as an option. I don't have a VR headset, so I don't know what is more disconcerting, driving a car with a wheel that I can only feel not see, or driving a car with arms that don't behave the way my arms do.

I'd say don't knock these things until you try them. And even then keep in mind that people are different and prefer different things. Some people like a wheel and arms in their normal cockpit view, others do not. It is not absolutely necessary to have a fully animated wheel and arms, especially when the vast majority of racing wheel movements are in the first 180 degrees of rotation.

It is not absolutely necessary to have a fully animated wheel and arms, especially when the vast majority of racing wheel movements are in the first 180 degrees of rotation.

It is a necessity,It is because you have not tried VR you say that. It is not like when gaming/racing with a monitor. I use the Monitor for my racing as I am very easily carsick/motionsick with the headset. As many others here the driver and wheel ingame is off because the monitor is very near/close to me and right behind the ffbwheel making it feel like the ffb wheel that pops out of the 2d cockpit/interior. No need for seeing two wheels one onscreen and the ffb wheel.

But in VR it is different, seeing the wheel even if it is 180 degrees and the driver with its arms resting on the wheel makes it 100times more immersive. Even in games like AC/PC the motion of your arms are not tracked at all and the gear chaning is totally wrong and yet it is such a big difference that it is not even comparable to monitors if it comes to immersion. It tricks you to believe that you are the driver sitting in the car and mistakenly take the drivers resting arms on the wheel as your own. Sure I have seen people drive without the driver but I cant understand why as it only takes you out of the experience, and if someone wants to drive without a wheel in VR well it is up to them. But would you drive a car irl without a wheel or even your body? Too bad I feel sick with VR though, after 1 min I am done for the day so to say :P

I don't know, but I'd certainly consider it as an option. I don't have a VR headset, so I don't know what is more disconcerting, driving a car with a wheel that I can only feel not see, or driving a car with arms that don't behave the way my arms do.

I'd say don't knock these things until you try them. And even then keep in mind that people are different and prefer different things. Some people like a wheel and arms in their normal cockpit view, others do not. It is not absolutely necessary to have a fully animated wheel and arms, especially when the vast majority of racing wheel movements are in the first 180 degrees of rotation.
I'd disagree with this. There is nothing more immersion breaking than not seeing your arms and a wheel in VR. Although it has to have 1:1 movement with what your own arms and wheel is doing. The difference it can make is huge. I've been sat playing Assetto Corsa in VR and genuinely gotten a shock when the in game hand didn't leave the wheel to scratch my face as my real hand did. I genuinely believed the arms I could see in game were mine. This happened completely subconsciously and was the point at which I fully understand just what VR could mean for sim racing.

So I would agree with you that it's not entirely necessary but the difference it makes is so big that you are not really having the same experience without it. VR works at its absolute best when your are completely immersed in the experience. Anything that breaks that immersion breaks the spell and it becomes much more of a gimmick.

I guess I don't really remember looking down, but I don't recall the wheel and moving hands in front of me on the VR version. It's been a couple weeks, but the view was like a full windshield view and you can see some of the hood. Wasn't really a big deal to me because i was focused on the racing and the track in front of me to pay attention to anything else. I remember looking to the sides at the end and you can see the inside of the door

It was weird to me because I prefer 3rd person view from all of my 16 bit racing game days

I'd disagree with this. There is nothing more immersion breaking than not seeing your arms and a wheel in VR.

Let's put the hyperbole down, shall we? We can all think of things a lot more immersion breaking than not having arms in front of you in VR.

Although it has to have 1:1 movement with what your own arms and wheel is doing. The difference it can make is huge. I've been sat playing Assetto Corsa in VR and genuinely gotten a shock when the in game hand didn't leave the wheel to scratch my face as my real hand did. I genuinely believed the arms I could see in game were mine. This happened completely subconsciously and was the point at which I fully understand just what VR could mean for sim racing.

So I would agree with you that it's not entirely necessary but the difference it makes is so big that you are not really having the same experience without it. VR works at its absolute best when your are completely immersed in the experience. Anything that breaks that immersion breaks the spell and it becomes much more of a gimmick.

I don't disagree that properly done it can make a huge difference. My point was that the game is totally playable without it, and works just fine. If you have no arms/wheel or only a limited range of motion then neither of those are ideal, but it's far from unplayable or a necessity in order to have a VR mode.

There's a difference between offering the best experience, offering an experience, and offering something that straight up doesn't work.

Let's put the hyperbole down, shall we? We can all think of things a lot more immersion breaking than not having arms in front of you in VR.
You seem to know an awful lot for someone who hasn't tried it ;) You can be flying around an alien world, which your brain knows is impossible yet feels totally natural if your head and arm movements are tracked and you can see them 1:1. Remove the 1:1 tracking of anything and you immediately become disconnected from the experience and the immersion is broken and the VR experience becomes crap.

I don't disagree that properly done it can make a huge difference. My point was that the game is totally playable without it, and works just fine. If you have no arms/wheel or only a limited range of motion then neither of those are ideal, but it's far from unplayable or a necessity in order to have a VR mode.

There's a difference between offering the best experience, offering an experience, and offering something that straight up doesn't work.

Which is pretty much exactly what I said in the bit you quoted.

You seem to know an awful lot for someone who hasn't tried it ;) You can be flying around an alien world, which your brain knows is impossible yet feels totally natural if your head and arm movements are tracked and you can see them 1:1. Remove the 1:1 tracking of anything and you immediately become disconnected from the experience and the immersion is broken and the VR experience becomes crap.

Is that your response? To attack the man when I suggest that you stop overexaggerating by suggesting that not having arms in VR is the MOST immersion breaking thing?

Besides, we've already established that even well modelled arms/wheel aren't responding 1:1. Are you still exaggerating by suggesting that anything that isn't 1:1 breaks all immersion and the experience becomes crap? Because if that is literally what you think, there's no point to VR until we have full body tracking suits.

I'll suggest it again; how about you put down the hyperbole and we attempt to have a real discussion like adults?

Which is pretty much exactly what I said in the bit you quoted.

Exactly. So why did you jump in with your two cents again? That's what I've been saying from the start.

Is that your response? To attack the man when I suggest that you stop overexaggerating by suggesting that not having arms in VR is the MOST immersion breaking thing?

Besides, we've already established that even well modelled arms/wheel aren't responding 1:1. Are you still exaggerating by suggesting that anything that isn't 1:1 breaks all immersion and the experience becomes crap? Because if that is literally what you think, there's no point to VR until we have full body tracking suits.

I'll suggest it again; how about you put down the hyperbole and we attempt to have a real discussion like adults?

Exactly. So why did you jump in with your two cents again? That's what I've been saying from the start.
Attack? Perhaps you should grow some skin. As someone who has spent a lot of time driving in VR, the most immersion breaking thing I have experienced is turning the arms and steering wheel off. I'm sharing my experience, I believe you are sharing your opinion. You are free to believe whatever you want, I'll keep believing what I have experienced.

Attack? Perhaps you should grow some skin. As someone who has spent a lot of time driving in VR, the most immersion breaking thing I have experienced is turning the arms and steering wheel off. I'm sharing my experience, I believe you are sharing your opinion. You are free to believe whatever you want, I'll keep believing what I have experienced.

I see. You're incapable of simply having a civil conversation. Fair enough. There were plenty of warning signs.

You have shared your experience, and I happen to agree. As I have said. Several times, some before you even parachuted into the conversation. As long as your opinion is not taken literally, because you persist in using superlatives to describe your experiences.

I agree with you that's it's very disconcerting. I do not agree that it's the most immersion breaking thing that the game could do. I do not agree that anything that isn't 1:1 breaks all immersion. I do believe that you're simply arguing for the sake of being right at this point, because no one in their right mind actually thinks that arm/wheel modelling is the most immersion breaking thing in VR. That's why Sony and Oculus have spent millions on their marketing campaigns for how important frame rate is to a VR experience, because without that single thing anything else is a non-starter.

But hey, keep it up. What do I know? I'm sure arms are more important than a high and stable frame rate, or responsive tracking, or any of the other myriad of problems that break immersion. Arms are the number 1 problem in VR right now. #VRneedsanarmy

:rolleyes::banghead:

Please send me a sample of whatever you're smoking. It sounds great. :lol:

I see. You're incapable of simply having a civil conversation. Fair enough. There were plenty of warning signs.

You have shared your experience, and I happen to agree. As I have said. Several times, some before you even parachuted into the conversation. As long as your opinion is not taken literally, because you persist in using superlatives to describe your experiences.

I agree with you that's it's very disconcerting. I do not agree that it's the most immersion breaking thing that the game could do. I do not agree that anything that isn't 1:1 breaks all immersion. I do believe that you're simply arguing for the sake of being right at this point, because no one in their right mind actually thinks that arm/wheel modelling is the most immersion breaking thing in VR. That's why Sony and Oculus have spent millions on their marketing campaigns for how important frame rate is to a VR experience, because without that single thing anything else is a non-starter.

But hey, keep it up. What do I know? I'm sure arms are more important than a high and stable frame rate, or responsive tracking, or any of the other myriad of problems that break immersion. Arms are the number 1 problem in VR right now. #VRneedsanarmy

:rolleyes::banghead:

Please send me a sample of whatever you're smoking. It sounds great. :lol:
lol, you're a card. Enjoy the rest of the holidays.

@BrainsBush @Denur I gave in and brought the PS4 Pro (should be here this week) for the VR will try out BF1 & UC4 and also will probably pick up a 4k HDR tv this week too-I can't wait any longer for GTS (at least I am ready for it now) :P

Hey there @torque99 have you recieved the PS4 pro yet? I would be keen to hear your thoughts on comparing the VR over a standard PS4?
From some of the articles i've read, it would suggest an improvement in image quality thanks to the upscaling!

The Pro is next on my list, but would be nice to from hear others (with similar interest) who have made the step already.

thanks

Hi Hobbsy,

Yes I have had the VR, Pro and 4k tv now for a few weeks. It is a great machine, 1TB storage and it seems slightly faster at processing information. I had a bit of trouble transferring data but this was more me than anything else! Games that are not patched seem the same although some do look better. I tried UC4, Rise of Tomb raider and BF1 (Pro patch). They look great but don't expect big changes just slightly nicer detail. I would say at the moment overall everything is minimal but the next year when they have had time to program games and utilise the power it will show an improvement. Remember Rushy(DriveClub) saying the Pro is very powerful and underrated. Regarding Driveclub VR again as said above it is minimal but just sharpens everything up and less blurry. Any other questions fire away! :cheers:

This could be a good addition to the vr experience if you can actually see your hands movements ingame the immersion would be nice.

http://www.captoglove.com

What is CaptoGlove?
CaptoGlove™ is a wearable virtual reality gaming motion controller able to transform human's hand actions in digital inputs.
coverimage.jpg

Any feedback from our UK friends who visited Insomnia60 and experienced GT Sport with PSVR?
Read some feedback that the graphics are much much better then Driveclub VR. Can you confirm?

Hi BrainsBush,

I'm also searching for feedback on the GTsport VR experience. Like probably the most of the people who raced in VR, the VR component will make me decide to buy or not to buy the game. DriveClub VR is very nice, but I would really like to get back to the GT series in VR :)

Any feedback from our UK friends who visited Insomnia60 and experienced GT Sport with PSVR?
Read some feedback that the graphics are much much better then Driveclub VR. Can you confirm?
The demo was just 3 laps around Big Willow so only 5 minutes of driving. There were about 6 cars to choose from, I went for the GTR over the MX5, GT86, Mustang and some others I can't remember.
This was my first experience in VR so I can't compare it to anything but the graphics are superb. You become immersed almost instantly when getting on track, although there was a little HUD in the bottom corner, just tyres and fuel, which ruins it slightly.
In response to the discussion earlier on this page about hands, it feels really good provided you keep your fingers in a similar position to the character. Even that was ruined, again only slightly, because the game was set to automatic transmission.
So instead I focused on trying to set a fast time. No prizes for it but I wanted to just play and not scrutinise everything. I'm glad I did because it is so much fun, one of the best experiences I've had in gaming. I felt VR could become a gimmick the same way that the Move did but for driving games now I think it could really be special.
I was in a small booth in the corner of the exhibition but it was still loud. However I completely forgot about that, I was driving around a track. I became fully engrossed in it, it feels really natural to drive, if there was any lag or drop in frame rate I didn't notice. The build is only 6 months old they said so it should only get better, although I don't think they would demo it if they weren't happy with it.
As I said it was only 5 minutes but I want one. I probably can't afford one, a new wheel, ps4 pro and a 4k TV but I want it all!

I hope I've given a good description, any questions then fire away. 👍

Hi BrainsBush,

I'm also searching for feedback on the GTsport VR experience. Like probably the most of the people who raced in VR, the VR component will make me decide to buy or not to buy the game. DriveClub VR is very nice, but I would really like to get back to the GT series in VR :)

ik ook :) grtz Brian

The demo was just 3 laps around Big Willow so only 5 minutes of driving. There were about 6 cars to choose from, I went for the GTR over the MX5, GT86, Mustang and some others I can't remember.
This was my first experience in VR so I can't compare it to anything but the graphics are superb. You become immersed almost instantly when getting on track, although there was a little HUD in the bottom corner, just tyres and fuel, which ruins it slightly.
In response to the discussion earlier on this page about hands, it feels really good provided you keep your fingers in a similar position to the character. Even that was ruined, again only slightly, because the game was set to automatic transmission.
So instead I focused on trying to set a fast time. No prizes for it but I wanted to just play and not scrutinise everything. I'm glad I did because it is so much fun, one of the best experiences I've had in gaming. I felt VR could become a gimmick the same way that the Move did but for driving games now I think it could really be special.
I was in a small booth in the corner of the exhibition but it was still loud. However I completely forgot about that, I was driving around a track. I became fully engrossed in it, it feels really natural to drive, if there was any lag or drop in frame rate I didn't notice. The build is only 6 months old they said so it should only get better, although I don't think they would demo it if they weren't happy with it.
As I said it was only 5 minutes but I want one. I probably can't afford one, a new wheel, ps4 pro and a 4k TV but I want it all!

I hope I've given a good description, any questions then fire away. 👍

Thanks for the feedback, don't suppose you know if it was run on a Pro or standard PS4?

Back