Gran Turismo Sport VR discussion thread

• Thread starter cocoflowa
  • 242 comments

Are you interested in GT Sport VR experience?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
(background - 40yr old motorsport nut, played racing games since Pole Position, know who Geoff Crammond is, have had (too) many wheels / big TV / projector etc, currently playing GTS Beta on 65" Sony 4k, with GT Omega rig + Logitech G29 - played Driveclub VR and Dirt Rally VR plenty with same)

I played GT VR a few times at Goodwood Festival of Speed, as was there for a few days.

3 lap 1v1, although there was an opponent, he was passed quickly so I viewed it as a time trial mode tbh.

All were Willow Springs. Manual. No assists.

Drove: Alfa 4c (Road car) twice, BMW M6 GT3 twice.

They were setting time to "evening" which felt a bit dark, so I asked for "one timeslot earlier" for my first M6 run, then "one earlier still" for my 2nd M6 run. They felt more natural, and I wasn't blinded by sun etc, which was their fear with daytime at Willow.

First corner, first go with Alfa, I felt a slight "moving but not moving" feeling in my stomach, as if not played PSVR for a while, but from that moment my brain must have gone "Oh, okay then" as it felt very natural. No uneasiness thereafter, even when returning next day etc.

It felt very easy going and natural to throw around the alfa, not as demanding handling (obviously) as Dirt VR, and not as compromised graphically as Driveclub. As someone that has been playing the Beta, this "felt" the same, just in a real environment. I've done a lot of trackdays and am happy to just hotlap chasing tenths in most games, so I got a great deal of satisfaction just lapping comfortably in VR.

Next session I felt more comfortable to push it, and I did start to notice some graphical differences. There is a "texture change" that comes into focus on some banking in the Beta that I use as a braking marker, and it simply wasn't there. As I looked harder, I did notice a few areas that looked a little bare in the scenery, but the resolution and frame rate felt absolutely fine.

Third and fourth session, in the M6 GTS, it was more mentally demanding to drive hard, but it felt like the "car" was a challenge, not the track or driving in VR, that all felt very believable and natural.

I've played GT since the first, and I'll admit GT6 made me wonder if it was time for a game changer. PSVR support sounded like the perfect next step, so was very disheartened to hear there would not be all of the game available in PSVR.

However, I've been enjoying the Beta on a flat TV far more than I expected & couple that with a very "right" feeling PSVR mode, and I don't have any hesitation in placing a pre-order.

Like many, I'd love to demand that all tracks are available in VR. However, if the comfort factor isn't achievable then I think they are right to limit to tracks that are least compromised.

Give me a quick RWD roadcar, and an empty Nordschleife, and I'll be quite happy to lose hours in this.

(background - 40yr old motorsport nut, played racing games since Pole Position, know who Geoff Crammond is, have had (too) many wheels / big TV / projector etc, currently playing GTS Beta on 65" Sony 4k, with GT Omega rig + Logitech G29 - played Driveclub VR and Dirt Rally VR plenty with same)

I played GT VR a few times at Goodwood Festival of Speed, as was there for a few days.

3 lap 1v1, although there was an opponent, he was passed quickly so I viewed it as a time trial mode tbh.

All were Willow Springs. Manual. No assists.

Drove: Alfa 4c (Road car) twice, BMW M6 GT3 twice.

They were setting time to "evening" which felt a bit dark, so I asked for "one timeslot earlier" for my first M6 run, then "one earlier still" for my 2nd M6 run. They felt more natural, and I wasn't blinded by sun etc, which was their fear with daytime at Willow.

First corner, first go with Alfa, I felt a slight "moving but not moving" feeling in my stomach, as if not played PSVR for a while, but from that moment my brain must have gone "Oh, okay then" as it felt very natural. No uneasiness thereafter, even when returning next day etc.

It felt very easy going and natural to throw around the alfa, not as demanding handling (obviously) as Dirt VR, and not as compromised graphically as Driveclub. As someone that has been playing the Beta, this "felt" the same, just in a real environment. I've done a lot of trackdays and am happy to just hotlap chasing tenths in most games, so I got a great deal of satisfaction just lapping comfortably in VR.

Next session I felt more comfortable to push it, and I did start to notice some graphical differences. There is a "texture change" that comes into focus on some banking in the Beta that I use as a braking marker, and it simply wasn't there. As I looked harder, I did notice a few areas that looked a little bare in the scenery, but the resolution and frame rate felt absolutely fine.

Third and fourth session, in the M6 GTS, it was more mentally demanding to drive hard, but it felt like the "car" was a challenge, not the track or driving in VR, that all felt very believable and natural.

I've played GT since the first, and I'll admit GT6 made me wonder if it was time for a game changer. PSVR support sounded like the perfect next step, so was very disheartened to hear there would not be all of the game available in PSVR.

However, I've been enjoying the Beta on a flat TV far more than I expected & couple that with a very "right" feeling PSVR mode, and I don't have any hesitation in placing a pre-order.

Like many, I'd love to demand that all tracks are available in VR. However, if the comfort factor isn't achievable then I think they are right to limit to tracks that are least compromised.

Give me a quick RWD roadcar, and an empty Nordschleife, and I'll be quite happy to lose hours in this.
An rwd roadcar on an empty nordschleife.... that made about 75 % of my playtime in GT5 and GT6 - and i played those games a lot :D

30,000 miles in GT6 for me on the Nordschleife and 24 hours version . Then Assetto Corso got Dream Pack 1. First lap on the laser scanned version and I'd found my new home.

Last edited:
Has the Nordschleife been confirmed for PSVR does anyone know? Saw it on the video on the previous page and if it works in VR then its a day 1 purchase for me even if 1v1

There is no official confirmation of the tracks you can use from what I have read. So far we have seen quite a lot of footage of Willow Springs and the Rally Tracks but they haven't shown how can you look around the interior or exterior of the cars or what you can and can't do in VR. .

But I am sure more details will follow soon on VR as they haven't released much info at all on it so far, which is a little concerning as it is so close to launch day..

I am also hoping for the Nordschleife and all the tracks in VR even if one on one it will be a 'bonus' to the game. I hope VR is not a paid DLC like Dirt Rally was ;)👍

In the recent VR promo vid of those 3 GT Academy drivers you can also see Nordschleife circuit two or three times. As this is meant to promote the great PSVR experience we can take it for granted also Nordschleife is available in VR mode. Right? And you can also spot Brands Hatch, Willow Springs, Rally track and Tokyo Express Way.

Well, as much as I would love to have all tracks available in VR, I don't think this will be the case!

We know there have been some disclaimers in the footage we've seen so far, one says something to effect of, "only select cars and tracks available in VR"

Which I can somewhat understand why for tracks, I imagine that they will have a standard of quality they do not want to drop below and therefore tracks with a lot of detail will be a struggle to maintain this on. However I'm not so sure why this would be the case with cars! I would have thought they all put the same level of demand on the unit, and they are much more static in comparison to the tracks!

The other disclaimer we see, is "images captured from a PS4 Pro"

And my last point, the recent vid on VR with the GT Acadamy drivers, I do not feel convinced the movement is from a VR headset, I would say it looks more like someone using the thumbstick to look round. I feel the motion is too linear!

I hope I'm wrong, as I'm really looking forward to the VR stuff, and to only have games with a limited "experience" makes me feel sold short with the whole VR thing

Laters

Any one tried VR with the retail game yet?

I have tried a 1 vs 1 in Arcade mode around the oval track.

Is there any way to lock the horizon? There is a very unrealistic roller coaster tilt when you enter the banking. I was about to throw up by the 3rd corner.

I am able to do 2 and 3 hour sessions with Oculus Rift on the PC with Assetto Corsa.

I can barely last 2 minutes on the PS VR setup in GT:S. on the oval. It treats your head as if you are not still sitting up right in the car - you literally have to lean in your chair - on an oval you don't lean you stay sitting upright in your chair, your entire car titles, not just the road.

It appears Sony has not managed any more visual clarity than the Oculus guys.

OK so it was a big disappointment when they revealed VR was going to be limited. But today after testing the game all I have to say is that this is a scam to VR players.

I understand that the hardware limitations are the main reason for the only 2 cars on track on VR mode. But why there's no time trial? Remove the stupid second car and let me drive alone. Ok, so let's drive on a race with the single car AI. Seriously, you can give like 30 seconds head start to the AI and catch up and overtake with ease in a 2 lap race. WTF? And why limit always 2 laps per race? Again.. is so hard to implement a time trial mode? Is that a limited hardware issue?? Also, there isn't any setting to change the view location, height or angle.. Why?? Every other VR racing title has it..

SO sad here...

OK so it was a big disappointment when they revealed VR was going to be limited. But today after testing the game all I have to say is that this is a scam to VR players.

I understand that the hardware limitations are the main reason for the only 2 cars on track on VR mode. But why there's no time trial? Remove the stupid second car and let me drive alone. Ok, so let's drive on a race with the single car AI. Seriously, you can give like 30 seconds head start to the AI and catch up and overtake with ease in a 2 lap race. WTF? And why limit always 2 laps per race? Again.. is so hard to implement a time trial mode? Is that a limited hardware issue?? Also, there isn't any setting to change the view location, height or angle.. Why?? Every other VR racing title has it..

SO sad here...
Agree. They need to add more options, like difficulty select, time trial, number of laps. And why VR races don't give you credit and xp? Strange decision, needs to be fixed.

SO sad here...

VR timetrial is really literally the only thing I would have hoped, but fair to say that the VR mode does look on another level compared to DC.

I don't have any VR yet but it looks like an amazing experience in GT:Sport. Especially with the revamped VR headset releasing soon (4K HDR pass-through) I'm tempted to buy it at some point, but not just yet. There need to be a few other games that interest me as well though since 450 EUR is quite a bit.

However from what I've seen in reviews the VR mode in GT:Sport should be improved IMO. These 2 requests are not any more demanding on the hardware than it already is :
* There needs to be a choice for AI difficulty, why not the same beginner / intermediate / professional selection as in the main game?
* VR should have it's own time trial mode with singleplayer leaderboards as well. It's done nicely in the base game, should be copy/pasted to a VR time trial mode.

Then some requests which are a bit more stressing on the hardware :
* 1vs1 online mode. If they could implement VR lobbies and a 1vs1 online mode that would be nice to have.
* more cars. Maybe not a grid of 24 cars but if it could be increased to 4 or 8 or something that would already be nice. IMO they should also separate the PS4 vs the PS4 Pro in this aspect if it would be too much for the base console to handle.

One final question for those that have VR, do you need to sit straight in front of the camera? Because in my living room setup, if I were to sit closer to my console (due to VR cables etc) I would be sitting in the part of my sofa that is at a 90 degrees angle compared to my TV (and camera). Can you "teach" the VR system on setup that your normal looking forward direction is at a 90 degree angle for the camera?

Agree with your suggestions @breyzipp . AI is already for me way too easy so I think for you it is not even a challenge.
I have the Playstation Camera mounted above my TV and when I sit in my Playseat about 80cm away from the TV I constantly have to reset the 'drifting' of the screen. I know I have to sit somewhere between 1-2 meters between PSVR and camera but then I have to 'restyle' my complete setupevery timeI use the VR mode.

My personal opinion : I prefer PCars VR for the real race experience and also the graphical quality (VR mode!) is on par with GT Sport.

I would suggest you first give the PSVR a 'try before you buy' treatment.

Agree with your suggestions @breyzipp . AI is already for me way too easy so I think for you it is not even a challenge.
I have the Playstation Camera mounted above my TV and when I sit in my Playseat about 80cm away from the TV I constantly have to reset the 'drifting' of the screen. I know I have to sit somewhere between 1-2 meters between PSVR and camera but then I have to 'restyle' my complete setupevery timeI use the VR mode.

My personal opinion : I prefer PCars VR for the real race experience and also the graphical quality (VR mode!) is on par with GT Sport.

I would suggest you first give the PSVR a 'try before you buy' treatment.

Yeah I assume PCARS 2 VR is on a hole different level but I don't have a upo-to-date gaming PC rig at the moment and don't feel like getting one. My gaming has moved from PC to both console platforms over the last 5 years so PS VR is the only VR I'm considering at the moment.

But the revamped Sony PS VR headset is a good sign for the future and there seem to be a couple of interesting titles coming (from the games I know, Doom 2016 and Skyrim seen to get a port plus some interesting PS VR only games), but for now I'll just watch those reviews when those games are out. :)

Some upcoming games :

It will in the end not just be GT:Sport alone but there need to be other games that interest me as well.

There need to be a few other games that interest me as well though since 450 EUR is quite a bit.
PlayStation VR + Camera + VR World's + GT Sport is actually 399 EUR right now.

Even I have given a serious thought on getting this pack (especially since I don't own GT Sport yet), but the VR content is lacking so much...

Even I have given a serious thought on getting this pack (especially since I don't own GT Sport yet), but the VR content is lacking so much...
Hopefully/may be during Paris Game Week good PSVR announcements? Also personally: I'm glad I bought PSVR day one and already had so much fun with the VR experience. Driveclub VR, DIRT Rally, GT Sport and all the other genre games in VR.

I would say it's totally different thing, but okay I'm done here. Enjoy your VR. :)
I bought a psvr on day one. Spent lots of hours with it and never experienced any of the issues you suggested but it is different for each person.

Ok but the bundle I looked at had the 2 move controllers in it as well, I think for some VR games they are mandatory, no?

Ok but the bundle I looked at had the 2 move controllers in it as well, I think for some VR games they are mandatory, no?
I believe so, yes. I was thinking only in terms of driving games.

Also, the Move controllers from the PS3 are the same and work with the PS4, so you'll easily grab a pair of those for 10 EUR or so.

I believe so, yes. I was thinking only in terms of driving games.

Also, the Move controllers from the PS3 are the same and work with the PS4, so you'll easily grab a pair of those for 10 EUR or so.
You really won't. Since PSVR the prices of those have gone through the roof.

You really won't. Since PSVR the prices of those have gone through the roof.
I meant second hand ones.

I confirmed before posting and easily found "like new" ones for that price.

Of course things may change from country to country, but I'd say it's pretty much the same across Europe.

Back