Gran Turismo Sport VR discussion thread

• Thread starter cocoflowa
  • 242 comments

Are you interested in GT Sport VR experience?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
The demo was just 3 laps around Big Willow so only 5 minutes of driving. There were about 6 cars to choose from, I went for the GTR over the MX5, GT86, Mustang and some others I can't remember.
This was my first experience in VR so I can't compare it to anything but the graphics are superb. You become immersed almost instantly when getting on track, although there was a little HUD in the bottom corner, just tyres and fuel, which ruins it slightly.
In response to the discussion earlier on this page about hands, it feels really good provided you keep your fingers in a similar position to the character. Even that was ruined, again only slightly, because the game was set to automatic transmission.
So instead I focused on trying to set a fast time. No prizes for it but I wanted to just play and not scrutinise everything. I'm glad I did because it is so much fun, one of the best experiences I've had in gaming. I felt VR could become a gimmick the same way that the Move did but for driving games now I think it could really be special.
I was in a small booth in the corner of the exhibition but it was still loud. However I completely forgot about that, I was driving around a track. I became fully engrossed in it, it feels really natural to drive, if there was any lag or drop in frame rate I didn't notice. The build is only 6 months old they said so it should only get better, although I don't think they would demo it if they weren't happy with it.
As I said it was only 5 minutes but I want one. I probably can't afford one, a new wheel, ps4 pro and a 4k TV but I want it all!

I hope I've given a good description, any questions then fire away. 👍
Excellent report and good to hear the impressions are so good. I'm very tempted to buy PSVR once GTS releases. I've had great fun with AC, PC, R3E and Automobolista using my Vive and I'm hoping GTS will be just as good.

Hi guys

Im from PC Sim Racing and would like to give some opinions about VR

The best implementation for online race in PC Sim is iRacing, why ?
- the graphics is pleasant to eyes, not too shiny like AC and pCARS
- FPS is easily stable at 75fps for Oculus DK2 or 90 fps for Oculus CV1/HTC Vive
- not sure how they do it, but with 450ms PING, I can race safely with US/EUROPE iRacers on special events. My normal ping is 200ms and that already give me confident to tailgate the opponents without worrying of hitten them.

My minimum spec to achieve 75fps for both eyes is i5 3.2ghz and nVidia 980gtx. Not VR optimized but can run 75fps on almost all laser scanned tracks with 60 other cars ( multiplayer )

And VR is really a game changer product. A lot of veteran simracer sold their triple screen set and settled for VR, including myself. But the key is , the software must be able to clock 75fps/DK2 and 90fps/CV1 for better user experience. My friend use 750ti with DK2 and run iRacing at super minimum graphics option and that never turn him back.

I would like to see gts excels in vr like iracing did but not disasterous as pcars vr in pc.

Im still on dk2 where others on cv1 . So ps4 pro is perfect for vr in gts

I'm hoping they relax some rules regarding VR and give us PS4 pro adopters some extra juicey stuff.

To be honest though, I've enjoyed DC in VR so if the next game that goes that far with it, can improve, then I'll be happy to give it a go.

If AC managed to squeeze it in, I'll be all over it like sauce on ribs ;)

this video shows a lot more cars in vr mode than the official 1 vs 1 statement.. (at 0:20 i can see 10! )
what do you guys think? is there some hope or is this just false advertising?

No way to know until we get confirmation. Up until now, we have been told GTS VR mode only supports 1v1 races.

The more, the better though!

*As a side note, GTS looks polished as 🤬 in that video:eek:

this video shows a lot more cars in vr mode than the official 1 vs 1 statement.. (at 0:20 i can see 10! )

It's not VR mode. Whoever is driving is moving the camera with the right stick.

Just read the disclaimer that is on the screen, select cars and tracks only. in other words what you see on these screens is not what you may get.

Just read the disclaimer that is on the screen, select cars and tracks only. in other words what you see on these screens is not what you may get.

It also mentions "Images Captured from a PS4 Pro System". A more powerful console that seemingly is able to handle more than 2 cars in VR:

Could the limited 1 to 1 experience be a collateral damage of original platform mandatory gameplay equity?

It also mentions "Images Captured from a PS4 Pro System". A more powerful console that seemingly is able to handle more than 2 cars in VR:

Could the limited 1 to 1 experience be a collateral damage of original platform mandatory gameplay equity?

Sounds plausible, since Pro supposedly more capable than vanilla PS4. Hopefully it stays like that for the final product. But then, how about those people who just owned regular PS4? Some of them probably won't satisfied by the limitation. They could upgrade their regular PS4 to Pro if they want, that would solve the problem. However, some people are quite calculated either they want to spend or not their cash on new gaming console instead of important needs and I found that is a bit troublesome as well...

@bdj57 I wouldn't draw any conclusion at this point concerning the final spec and capabilities of the game when it gets released. 2 month to go and the picture is getting blurrier than ever, both fascinating and scaring...

More than 1 car on track
l7J9uSm4MNQ95poJtWHPVo_kbHoo-ips1P-parBaCSE.jpg

Having more than one car for the Pro only would be an exclusive feature. Something Sony won't allow. Granted 60 FPS are an exclusive feature so I have no idea how it works. Wouldn't get my hopes up.

I think it's on the same level as replays being capped at 30fps on the standard ps4, while being unlocked to 60fps on pro.

It's not really something to get up in arms about like, say, making rain gameplay exclusive to the PS4 Pro.

Having more than one car for the Pro only would be an exclusive feature. Something Sony won't allow. Granted 60 FPS are an exclusive feature so I have no idea how it works. Wouldn't get my hopes up.
It's not an exclusive feature. They both have the feature, and I agree with @marcvic. I think it's much like the difference between Forza 7 is going to look graphically between the base console and the X. However, I can see how it can leave a sour taste in the mouth of many as it can flow into that sentiment that they should play exactly the same.

It's not an exclusive feature. They both have the feature, and I agree with @marcvic. I think it's much like the difference between Forza 7 is going to look graphically between the base console and the X. However, I can see how it can leave a sour taste in the mouth of many as it can flow into that sentiment that they should play exactly the same.

That ruling is a bit weird to be honest and is very much a grey area.

I'd say the rules laid by Sony are ambiguous enough to support a different number of opponents in a VR mode:
  • Developers cannot supply exclusive gameplay features for Neo owners. If the game has a split-screen mode, it must be available on both systems. However, modes can be enhanced - so a two-player split-screen mode on PS4 could be expanded to allow a four-player variant on Neo.

Not drawing conclusions either.

I'd say the rules laid by Sony are ambiguous enough to support a different number of opponents in a VR mode:
  • Developers cannot supply exclusive gameplay features for Neo owners. If the game has a split-screen mode, it must be available on both systems. However, modes can be enhanced - so a two-player split-screen mode on PS4 could be expanded to allow a four-player variant on Neo.

Not drawing conclusions either.

I really hope this is true. As a PSVR and regular PS4 owner I'd be livid if GTsport required me to purchase a PRO just to get more cars on track.

PS4 will get as many cars simultaneously as possible. Why would we hate if PRO is allowed to feature as many cars simultaneously as it can (meaning possibly more then 2 )?

Back