Group C cars in Gr.1 (POLL)

Should Group C cars have their own group?

• Total voters
It was definitely a mistake.

It's disappointing that they grouped the old group c prototypes with the newer LMP1s, they should be separate. There is no reason to have it like this, they are just creating more of a headache for themselves and players alike by doing this. Trying to balance all of these vastly different cars under BOP is just a waste of time.

Forza Motorsport did the exact same thing for many years across many iterations of the series. They used to always group the old and new prototypes into the same class and/or division and it never worked out well.

here are some examples.

endurance prototype divison in FM6
On that list you see modern LMP1s and old prototypes, The Mazda 787b (and Peugeot 905 iirc) made every other car on that list redundant, as in they weren't competitive at all. Not just in FM6 either, this is how Forza grouped these cars for many years across multiple iterations of FM and two generations of Xbox.

Only in FM7 did they finally change it after many years. This is the way it should be.
early prototype racers division in FM7

Last edited:
Is it me or does Project cars 2 the only one to at least put the effort to put the right cars in the right class.

They also have their mistakes as the Bentley Speed 8 and the Toyota GTone are LMGTP rather than LMP900 and the Porsche 908 is also in the wrong class. Mclaren F1 should be racing in road class B rather than C and the Porsche 911 GT3 RS should be in C rather than B

Personally I can only lap a few tenths faster in the 919 hybrid than I managed in the sauber. Though with tyre wear and fuelling I imagine the modern cars will have a much easier time which will probably limit the group C cars to dailies A and B

Personally I can only lap a few tenths faster in the 919 hybrid than I managed in the sauber. Though with tyre wear and fuelling I imagine the modern cars will have a much easier time which will probably limit the group C cars to dailies A and B

I don’t think the 919 is too strong on this track. It has great acceleration but it loses time on the straights and long corners.

I don’t think the 919 is too strong on this track. It has great acceleration but it loses time on the straights and long corners.

I agree, I'm just using as a benchmark because it's the #1 spot in europe at the moment, most of the top 10 are either the 919 or the audi r18. I think someone in japan set a 3:17 in the r92cp too, so at sarthe at least the group C cars are competitive

I agree, I'm just using as a benchmark because it's the #1 spot in europe at the moment, most of the top 10 are either the 919 or the audi r18. I think someone in japan set a 3:17 in the r92cp too, so at sarthe at least the group C cars are competitive

I didn’t see that but that’s a really good time!

I think the Nissan GTR LM has potential for a 3:15, it is really impressive at this track.

While I too agree that I would have rather seen a Gr.1 class, I’ll play the Devil’s advocate and provide reasons why maybe it wasn’t as bad as people think.

1. Maybe the end goal here is to have every manufacturer in the game, or as many as possible, represented in Group 1 for future seasons of the whole FIA thing. Then instead of picking just a Gr.4 and Gr.3 car, they’d have you pick a Gr.1 car as well. IDK, just speculation on my part there.

2. As far as actual gameplay goes, I like the idea of these kind of “tanks” that are incredibly outpaced in the corners but just destroy everything on the straights. It’s a different playstyle than every other modern LMP and it adds an interesting dynamic of strategy to Gr.1 that the other classes don’t have.

3. In terms of accuracy or whether it should have been its own class, this is the game where an 80’s Pikes Peaks car takes on pseudo-WRC cars and a Veyron is racing GT4 Cars. It already didn’t make sense before this update.

Last edited:
While I too agree that I would have rather seen a Gr.1 class, I’ll play the Devil’s advocate and provide reasons why maybe it wasn’t as bad as people think.

1. Maybe the end goal here is to have every manufacturer in the game, or as many as possible, represented in Group 1 for future seasons of the whole FIA thing. Then instead of picking just a Gr.4 and Gr.3 car, they’d have you pick a Gr.1 car as well. IDK, just speculation on my part there.

2. As far as actual gameplay goes, I like the idea of these kind of “tanks” that are incredibly outpaced in the corners but just destroy everything on the straights. It’s a different playstyle than every other modern LMP and it adds an interesting dynamic of strategy to Gr.1 that the other classes don’t have.

3. In terms of accuracy or whether it should have been its own class, this is the game where a Pikes Peaks car takes on pseudo-WRC cars and a Veyron is racing GT4 Cars. It already didn’t make sense before this update.

1. Still doesn't make sense to have group vastly different cars together then try to balance them under BOP.

2. Forza did it the same way for many years, and it never worked. You always had one or two dominant cars that completely obliterated everything else.

3. More accuracy to real life certainly doesn't hurt. I don't know why people even use this as argument, do people not want more authenticity? :odd:

Last edited:

3. In terms of accuracy or whether it should have been its own class, this is the game where an 80’s Pikes Peaks car takes on pseudo-WRC cars and a Veyron is racing GT4 Cars. It already didn’t make sense before this update.

Those are all very valid points. I didn’t think of the Gr.1 would be included in the manufacturer contracts.

Thank you.

1. Still doesn't make sense to have group vastly different cars together then try to balance them under BOP.

2. Forza did it the same way for many years, and it never worked. You always had one or two dominant cars that completely obliterated everything else.

3. More accuracy to real life certainly doesn't hurt. I don't know why people even use this as argument. I see grouping all these cars as just lazy.

In Forza 4 I remember the Peugoet 908 HDI FAP, Audi R10 and the Audi R15 always obliterated the contest.

In my opinion I couldn't really care less. I have never rushed to the meta car and have always driven what I enjoy and or like the look of. That said, I'm not fighting it out for a top 10 leaderboard time - due to skill, not vehicle choice.

The problem I find is that people desperately HAVE to beat everyone, regardless of ability, so they choose the 'fastest' car in the game at that point - which in itself means that the BOP gets adjusted as the data has been affected. Thus the changes will always by cyclical.

All of this is obviously my 2 cents, but it honestly doesn't fuss me as long as the cars are all roughly the same pace.

3. More accuracy to real life certainly doesn't hurt. I don't know why people even use this as argument, do people not want more authenticity? :odd:

Okay, for number 1, fair enough, but...

Even though Forza might have done it before and failed, today there were Sauber C9s on the top 10 qualifying leaderboard in Sport Mode in Japan. They have potential to keep pace in GT Sport.

And real life accuracy is still a valid argument, but Gran Turismo is full of GT3 & GTE cars along with a futuristic spaceship and a Golf with it’s roof cut off in the same class. (Don’t forget the Beetle and Four-Door touring car style vehicles!)

If you're looking for historical accuracy in GT Sport you’re playing the wrong game.

Last edited:
No it isn't a mistake. Why is it. If PD put every new bunch of cars into seperate groups (Super GT, Group C cars and say for example old Toca Touring cars), it would just be a mess of groups.

No it isn't a mistake. Why is it. If PD put every new bunch of cars into seperate groups (Super GT, Group C cars and say for example old Toca Touring cars), it would just be a mess of groups.

What are you talking about? Gr.2 IS Super GT cars, that's all that's in there. Super GT. And it works very well because those cars are naturally in the same class. Realism + competitive racing = win.

A mess of groups? That's a meaningless statement. More groups means better organization and closer racing. What Gr.1 is right now is properly what could be called a mess, with modern LMP1, prototypes and VGT, and now old Group C cars all dumped into one group. The races look silly with this mixture and there's little chance that the Group C cars will be competitive at anything other than La Sarthe.

What are you talking about? Gr.2 IS Super GT cars, that's all that's in there. Super GT. And it works very well because those cars are naturally in the same class. Realism + competitive racing = win.

A mess of groups? That's a meaningless statement. More groups means better organization and closer racing. What Gr.1 is right now is properly what could be called a mess, with modern LMP1, prototypes and VGT, and now old Group C cars all dumped into one group. The races look silly with this mixture and there's little chance that the Group C cars will be competitive at anything other than La Sarthe.

Yes Super Gt is Gr.2. I am making a point. Why is it meaningless. If every car that got released got its own group. Therd would be more classes than the paralympics. I would rather have varation in the classes we have. LMP, VGT AND Group 3 in GR.1. Super Gt and DTM in Gr.2

Well in real life, gt1 gt2 and gr3 class cars are always on the same racetrack in le mans, so why cant group c, which is like the legacy gt1 be in the gt1 class?

In a perfect world we would have every car ever made racing in every class that ever existed.

Anyway a real answer, NO this is the only way to go to unless we want end up with countless classes with very few cars. Le Mans regulations change almost every year (right?). So we couldn't even have clean Group C class unless it was limited to a certain year, and in some of those years we had cars where a manufacturer invested way more than the others, making it almost impossible to race any other car than only one because it was so dominant..

I will leave it up to others to test the cars without BoP and see if their "real self" is close to the track times from when they raced, what would be awesome.

I didn’t see that but that’s a really good time!

I think the Nissan GTR LM has potential for a 3:15, it is really impressive at this track.

Amazing. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't these supposedly the same Nissan GTR LMs that had a disasterous Le Mans in 2015. In quali they were 20s/lap behind the Porsche and got penalised for being too slow.

I guess PD fixed all the issues with the car prior to modeling it in GT Sport :lol:

If they just allowed multiple classes per car, we wouldn't have this problem. They could have a group C class, an LMP1 class, and a generic Le Mans class containing both, so we could race them against each other.

Hopefully it's just a temporary solution as they add more Class C cars. Yes, I know that they made GR 2 cars a new class with just 3 cars but I'm trying to be optimistic.

Latest Posts

Back