GT Auto: Maintenance, Servicing, Repairs, Facilities etc...

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 6' started by ak101, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ak101

ak101

GT Auto (New)

Motor oil & Filter
    Sparkplugs & Ignition Leads
    Mechanical Rebuilds
    Car Wash and Polish Facility
    Dyno/Rolling Road
    Aero Parts
    Wind Tunnel

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  2. VQuick

VQuick

How do you think PD should translate that into the game?

3. ak101

ak101

Just the same way as they have translated the tyres and all the other parts and components.

4. daan

daan Moderator

And what difference does all of that make to a virtual car?

5. USARMYCOMBATVET

USARMYCOMBATVET

In my opinion, that would use space I'd rather they spent on core development such as: Cars, Tracks, Events, GENERAL customization, etc. As said before, it makes no difference in a virtual engine unless a VERY complex algorithm is applied to the oil change system. Already, I think they spent too much time adding an animation of some dude in khakis rolling under the car. Details cost space; space which could be used for more important mechanics. Pardon the pun.

6. Earth

Earth

Maybe if you buy valvoline oil you unlock the valvoline logo for the livery editor. That could work

7. VQuick

VQuick

So what do you think using oils, filters & fuels will do for the game?

8. avens

avens

they also should simulate ownership tax, traffic jams and manually replacing tires after punctures

9. ak101

ak101

Does changing the engine oil make a difference to the virtual car?
    Expanding GT Auto/Parts shop would make GT6 more interesting, as a fact
    GT5 is lacking in this department.

10. VQuick

VQuick

Since we have dynamic weather and rain/snow, that means we should have to replace our windshield wipers too.

When you take a car in for an oil change at GT Auto, the mechanics should come up to you with a list of other work they recommend you do. Transmission fluid flush, coolant system flush, blinker fluid flush, power steering fluid replacement and oh, your air filter is dirty. It'll only be 6000cr to take care of that, and we can have it done for you in six hours.

11. USARMYCOMBATVET

USARMYCOMBATVET

Insurance agent: "Hello, Triple A[AAA insurance]. How can I help you?"
    GT driver: "Yeah, I'm stuck at turn 14 of Nurburgring. I need a tech to come change my tire."
    Insurance agent:"Ok, sir. I cannot pronounce the name of that turn could you tell me visually what you see around you?"
    GT driver: " Uh, ok. I see green. Green Hell."

12. VQuick

VQuick

More like "We don't cover incidents at the Nurburgring." lol

13. daan

daan Moderator

You've missed my point.

The changing on the oil in GT is there mainly as an indication that there are things you need to do to your real car to keep it running smoothly as a way of teaching kids about cars. The power gains achieved by changing the oil is GT's way of rewarding you for doing this. Power gains through oil is negligible, if you get any gain at all.

All they do is keep a real engine running smoothly and reduce wear and tear, and have no benefit to a virtual engine.

14. Earth

Earth

Keeping up with oil changes in GT6 should increase the interval between engine rebuilds and perhaps reduce the possibility of random mechanical failures

15. avens

avens

Breathalyzer before playing. Le mans start. Your fiance chooses which car to get. Getting a license suspension. Gas stations. Exchange insurance information after a crash.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  16. ak101

ak101

All they do is keep a real engine running smoothly and reduce wear and tear, and have no benefit to a virtual engine.[/QUOTE]

How does the power limiter effect a real car?

17. USARMYCOMBATVET

USARMYCOMBATVET

18. ak101

ak101

Can you explain?

19. VQuick

VQuick

Restrictor plates just make the intake openings smaller. Smaller intakes mean less air into the engine, with less fuel needed. Therefore, you get less power.

20. daan

daan Moderator

You can't just change the subject. What does the power limiter have to do with oil?

21. ak101

ak101

Which motor oil do you use?. Do you change the oil filter?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  22. daan

daan Moderator

I use Fuchs XTR, but I fail to see the relevance.

Different types of oil, and additives, will make no difference to the performance of a virtual car.

23. ak101

ak101

It already makes a difference to every virtual car in the GT games!

Do you change the oil filter?

24. VQuick

VQuick

There aren't different types in the GT series. Isn't that why you made the thread? One type has been fine, and were different types to be modeled, the significance wouldn't be great enough to really merit the work that went into it.

It's also a fair assumption that when the oil is changed, the oil filter would be as well...again, if that sort of thing was modeled, which, thankfully, it is not. There are more significant things to work on for this game.

25. avens

avens

Speeding tickets. Search cars for months (trim levels, colors and all that)

26. VQuick

VQuick

Salvage & rebuilt titles. Mechanic's liens. How about property taxes on land for your garage?

27. daan

daan Moderator

Your point was that there should be different types of oil.

The oil change as it is makes a difference to the cars in the game.

Using different types of oil would make absolutely no difference to the cars in the game.

Everything* that is in GT helps a car go faster.
    More power = faster car
    Less weight = faster car
    Better tyres = faster car
    Better suspension = faster car
    More downforce = faster car

Changing the oil if it is old, gets you more power which in turn gets you a faster car. Changing the type of oil from one to another does nothing as it gets you no more power, and therefore no more speed. Having different types of oil is therefore irrelevant and completely unnecessary.

* The power limiter is there to make a car fit under a PP limit if it has just sneaked above it. Ballast is there for the above reason and also to give a car better weight distribution in order to make it handle better.

28. Spagetti69

Spagetti69 Premium

What oil brand is used now?

29. HOODFIELD

HOODFIELD Premium

I understand you OP, you want the oil to have different characteristics. Maybe running synthetic would require less frequent oil changes. Maybe different brands of oil filters. IDK how the brand licensing works but it sounds like a hassle just for something trivial like oil. I would rather see this type of effort on tires and performance tuning parts.

30. ak101

ak101

Would you add cheap or any motor oil to a heavily tuned car?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.