GT5 Sound Thread

• Thread starter Marry_Me_GT
  • 5,638 comments
Other than if you're purposely trolling, I really don't know how you can't tell the difference between the real HSV and the one in GT5, they are literally world's apart. There is nothing similar about them, at all.

Ironically though, I can't tell the difference between Rihanna singing and a cat being stabbed. Though I'm sure they sound a lot more similar than the real and GT5 HSV's.

The sounds have been and still are one of the worst, or shall we say most flawed features about the GT franchise, it's infamous for it.

No. How could I play trumpet if I was?

Well then I can't possibly devise a reason as to why you can't tell the difference between a high-revving V8 (the real HSV) and the one in GT5 which quite frankly sounds like it's leaning on 6 cylinders.

No. How could I play trumpet if I was?

no, you're trollin' now.

no way.

ok3lf7.gif

Terronium-12
Well then I can't possibly devise a reason as to why you can't tell the difference between a high-revving V8 (the real HSV) and the one in GT5 which quite frankly sounds like it's leaning on 6 cylinders.

avens
That's actually the source of your problem lol. You are getting deaf by playing it loud without protection.

I am truly amazed that he can't tell but maybe he has never heard the real one.

I hope he will take a look at this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxKogppTYio

After he does and doesn't notice the huge difference then he's either tone deaf or trolling.

Also, that's singer's voice analogy is incredibly flawed.

It may be flawed, I was just making rough comparison, but we all should know that car sounds in real life have no preset values of good or bad, they all sound unique, some people that I know dislike noisy cars, they like quiet cabin in the car, would you call these people wrong ? I bet when they play GT5, they won't give a damn about how it sounds compared to real life.

Take the HSV for example, for automotive enthusiast, it sounds marvelous, but ask an old lady who doesn't care about how a car should sound, she would say "it's a racket that's ruining my hearing"

My singer analogy may be hugely flawed, but any person can find such sound that is considered bad by others, to be acceptable.

It may be flawed, I was just making rough comparison, but we all should know that car sounds in real life have no preset values of good or bad, they all sound unique, some people that I know dislike noisy cars, they like quiet cabin in the car, would you call these people wrong ? I bet when they play GT5, they won't give a damn about how it sounds compared to real life.

What does this have to do with anything at all? We've gone from not being able to (for whatever reason) differentiate between wrong and right, to preferences?

Take the HSV for example, for automotive enthusiast, it sounds marvelous, but ask an old lady who doesn't care about how a car should sound, she would say "it's a racket that's ruining my hearing"

Again, has nothing to do with the topic matter.

My singer analogy may be hugely flawed, but any person can find such sound that is considered bad by others, to be acceptable.

Acceptable is one thing. Saying they're perfect and needn't be changed is another.

Ridox2JZGTE

I mean some cars in GT5 have the true name but not all. One of the cars that has the best sound is the... Amuze/opera performance gran turismo 350z rs aka the gran turismo 350z rs (Amuze/opera performance gran turismo 350z rs name was shortened in the final version of the game). It is the best sounding 350z in the game just leave the stock exhaust that comes on it and it sounds just like real z33 350z.

But more than half of the cars don't have their true sounds. Yet disappointing but true.

The new br-z bone stock slowly reving it up sounds like a shock vacuum dead serious. Also sounds like my kirby vacuum with the hoes on it or the head on with it lowered on the carpet

What does this have to do with anything at all? We've gone from not being able to (for whatever reason) differentiate between wrong and right, to preferences?

Again, has nothing to do with the topic matter.

Acceptable is one thing. Saying they're perfect and needn't be changed is another.

So, what was the topic about ? Is it about certain individual who said an opinion that the sound in GT5 is fine ? That he "preferred" to have whatever it is now and there's no changes needed as it is still "acceptable". The others starts to say that his opinion is incorrect, and that he is unable to differentiate the sound in game to real.

I think he find it "acceptable" that GT5 have it's current sound due to simple reason that it may be "perfect" to him, which is why he said no changes needed.

And yet, they never do. So once again, why bother based on past results?
What?
Sorry but what's the point of this site then? What's the point of this comunity? Are we here for passion of Motorsport and Road Cars or are we here to accept every little crap they give us?

"We love cars" they said.

Well, they didn't really.

What?
Sorry but what's the point of this site then? What's the point of this comunity? Are we here for passion of Motorsport and Road Cars or are we here to accept every little crap they give us?

You aren't understanding what I'm saying. My point is people got there hopes up for a certain car to at least have something close to its real life sound knowing full well that this is the same Developer that rarely ever delivers in the sound department. I'm not talking at all about "the point of this site" or "accepting every little crap they give us", I'm specifically reffering to people getting their hopes up onver something only to be dissapointed and somehow surprised that this happened when it was inevitible. Like I mentioned before, the definition of insanity.

You aren't understanding what I'm saying. My point is people got there hopes up for a certain car to at least have something close to its real life sound knowing full well that this is the same Developer that rarely ever delivers in the sound department. I'm not talking at all about "the point of this site" or "accepting every little crap they give us", I'm specifically reffering to people getting their hopes up onver something only to be dissapointed and somehow surprised that this happened when it was inevitible. Like I mentioned before, the definition of insanity.

We expect them to at least try or even watch car footage before adding them to the game.

I don't troll. I'm completely against it. Plus, a goal I have is to make people happy, so why would I want to make people mad?
Then why would you randomly make a statement without any sort of explanation? Then when it comes time for when people disagree with you, you pull out the "it's my opinion" card rather than giving an explanation of your opinion.

Hmm, there it is again. Out of curiosity, what about the sound of the HSV in GT5 is saying six cylinders to you?

I'm not on anything. I just can't tell the difference between the real one and the one in GT5.

So you REALLY can't tell the difference between this (skip to 0:12):

and this:

If you still can't, then there is clearly something wrong with you. Just saying. :)

So, what was the topic about ? Is it about certain individual who said an opinion that the sound in GT5 is fine ? That he "preferred" to have whatever it is now and there's no changes needed as it is still "acceptable".
This, being the GT5 sound thread, is about the sounds of GT5. We can disagree to agree I think. When someone comes along and says "all cars in GT5 sound perfect!", then he/she better expect to be bashed. repeatedly.

continued
The others starts to say that his opinion is incorrect, and that he is unable to differentiate the sound in game to real.

Not others, he said it!

I think he find it "acceptable" that GT5 have it's current sound due to simple reason that it may be "perfect" to him, which is why he said no changes needed.
So he finds something acceptable to the point that he finds it perfect?

what?

Hmm, there it is again. Out of curiosity, what about the sound of the HSV in GT5 is saying six cylinders to you?

To me, it sounds like a mix of a Clio V6 and a Vectra V6 at a higher pitch.

Specifically? Listen to the pitch, it has almost the same undertone as the SGT NSX (which is also wrong but not nearly to the same degree), and it has some kind of mid-pitched mechanical whir about it which I've heard a lot of in V6's. And then there's the gargling when up/downshifting - that just annoys me.

The thing about V6s is that, usually, the dominating tone is that of a three cylinder; all the odd numbered cylinder counts have distinct harmonic signatures (just as the odd harmonics do in music). That 3-cylinder tone is not present at all in the HSV.

As I've said too many times now, it's obviously a turbo-charged inline four, the samples most likely originating from a rally car of some sort.

I think it's interesting that discussion in this thread has focused recently on the perception of sounds, and there are (and have been) people stating the HSV in GT5 sounds like a V6. Just food for thought.

The thing about V6s is that, usually, the dominating tone is that of a three cylinder; all the odd numbered cylinder counts have distinct harmonic signatures (just as the odd harmonics do in music). That 3-cylinder tone is not present at all in the HSV.

As I've said too many times now, it's obviously a turbo-charged inline four, the samples most likely originating from a rally car of some sort.

I think it's interesting that discussion in this thread has focused recently on the perception of sounds, and there are (and have been) people stating the HSV in GT5 sounds like a V6. Just food for thought.

And this is why I always enjoy discussing this topic with you.

What I find interesting (and funny all at the same time) is that your correction actually makes things worse - a turbocharged I4, really?

What are your thoughts on the C9? Truth be told, I don't know what to make of it.

Come to think of it in regards to the HSV(going off the only onboard anyone has managed to get without talking :ouch:), I think the sound is abit close to the real life onboard, which sounds nothing like the outside when the car goes by.

^ Once again: because exhaust sound :sly:

BTW: Would love to see a link to that video.

Regarding the C9: From what I hear, the exhaust seems to be off a rally car (Turbo I4 again), mixed with some other strange noises, I feel one of which could be a really messed up supercharger whine. Let's see what Griffith thinks :)

Last edited:
I do not know whether it was mentioned here, but the BRZ has its own unique sound, the GT86 sounds more aggressive, the BRZ is much quiter in the cockpit. I wonder if thats the case in RL too because this is a very important factor for me.

This, which is also why the exact same sample was used in GT4 for rally cars.

^ Once again: because exhaust sound :sly:

BTW: Would love to see a link to that video.

But I'm not reffering to the exhaust ;)

As for the onboard, its in this video here (skip to 7:51)

Last edited:
Back