GT5 Sound Thread

• Thread starter Marry_Me_GT
  • 5,638 comments
No. How could I play trumpet if I was?

I can play a trumpet too, doesn't mean that I am any good at it, so nothing is proved or changed just by saying you (prehaps) can play a trumpet.

Hell, it could have been something that you've done years ago, once, during a drunken night for all we know.

Yeah, the C9 to me again seems to be a turbo'd I4, although it is a bit weird sounding. I would usually attribute that to missing or mismatched components in the mix, but in this case it's probably also due to PD's sometimes-used method of making "neutral-revving" recordings, which only use very small throttle openings. That means the airflow and distribution is likely to be unstable, and for a turbo car, it won't be on boost, which makes a large difference to the resulting "fatness" of the exhaust note.

I haven't seen the engine in the HSV (Honda seem to guard it at all times), but the real-life interior shots sound more I4 than V8 (which, along with the off-throttle exhaust tone, might give clues as to the intake configuration they're running, but I haven't got my head around that properly yet). Anyway, that technically makes it easy, since any old I4 engine sound could be used, however the general lack of intake sound in GT5 means it will still be lack-lustre. As such, it's not that daft to use an inline four sound for a flat-plane V8, this Cerbera is a great example of the similarity (dual intakes and exhausts, so it is essentially two I4s), but as soon as you get all 8 cylinders interacting, the tone does change - Plasa's Judd-V8-powered cars demonstrate that nicely.

The BRZ sound is also a weird one, it's blatantly a blend of existing samples and it escapes me why they thought it should sound different from the Toyota and the Scion (which sound the same as each other, sensibly). There's no way they haven't recorded these cars (and we know they have, the sounds were dubbed onto their respective trailers), so there must be another explanation - I'm still leaning towards the idea that the sound guys are busy with something else, and they've got the janitor in to put together these GT2-era "placeholders".

To be honest, I'm really surprised that they didn't just use the same sound sample as the FGT, or tweak it marginally. Even then, since they're still using GT1 and GT2 sounds to this day :grumpy:, they might as well have used the old Renualt Espace F1 samples, since it's a damn site closer than the abomination they've currently chosen.

I think we can be sure no updates for GT5 will bring us correct Exhaust/induction sounds so fingers crossed for GT6 but I have very little faith.

Everything in the game sounds perfect to me. I feel nothing has to be changed.

From good to better having in consideration your opinion about GT5 sounds:

Please enjoy it...

Yes...you have a point.:dopey:

(sorry i had to do it....)

From good to better having in consideration your opinion about GT5 sounds:

Please enjoy it...

Yes...you have a point.:dopey:

(sorry i had to do it....)

Those were brilliant.

To the guy you quoted,how can you say the sounds are all perfect?,even i can't say that and i believe the sounds aren't as bad as most people make them out to be.

Perhaps you should focus on this part: "I feel nothing has to be changed.", which is more like a statement of preference. And that has been his point from the start - he's perfectly satisfied with the sounds, which is perfectly fine. Unfortunately, it has descended into a circular battle of needless attacking and defending. I think we can safely move on now.

Believe or not (as oddly worded as the said poster might have made his posts), some people aren't as critical about the sounds and don't really mind how they are. I know its hard to believe, but they are out there.

Believe or not (as oddly worded as the said poster might have made his posts), some people aren't as critical about the sounds and don't really mind how they are. I know its hard to believe, but they are out there.

these people are not motorsports or car enthusiasts, must be backseat drivers or gamers.

these people are not motorsports or car enthusiasts, must be backseat drivers or gamers.

Thats the point: Not everyone who plays driving games ARE Motorsports or car enthusiasts. There's no need to blow them off just because they aren't as into those like you and I are.

There's no need to blow them off just because they aren't as into those like you and I are.

This isn't really about that though.

Sure, several posters have been "blown off", but that's more to do with them defending Polyphonys "work", rather than coming out and saying that they are happy with the sounds in their opinion.

We were told to expect perfection - You have to expect some form of discontent when the standards we see are far below that.

TURNIP
Believe it or not, I am both a motorsports/car enthusiast, and a gamer. Have been playing games since the 16k era.

The sounds back then were just noises.
Somehow I don't expect to hear the same sounds in a game than when I'm actually at a track.

Of course I'd like better sounds, but how they are now does not stop me from enjoying GT5.

YI haven't seen the engine in the HSV (Honda seem to guard it at all times), but the real-life interior shots sound more I4 than V8 (which, along with the off-throttle exhaust tone, might give clues as to the intake configuration they're running, but I haven't got my head around that properly yet).

There's some reasonably good intake sound in this video, right before he starts talking, and at 1:55 where he stops talking again. To my ears, it sounds rather similar to the GP2 cars (though a bit more "closed/muffled", so I'd guess the intake configuration would be quite similar:

But then again, the camera microphone setup seems to play a huge role in how we hear the sounds, as the exhaust note is quite audible in this video:

Inside the real HSV, I'd presume the exhaust would not be quite audible, especially since there's quite some distance and shielding between the exhaust and the driver, especially compared with the GP2 cars.

Last edited:
Just in case you guys didn't know this:
To power the HSV (Honda Sports Velocity) racer, Honda picked the V8 engine used so successfully in the Acura LMP2 prototypes. Displacing just under 3.4 litre, it meets the size restrictions for non-homologated engines perfectly. The high-revving, quad-cam unit produces in excess of 500 bhp and a commendable 392 Nm of torque.
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/4362/Honda-HSV-010-GT.html

Since patch 2.08 I noticed that sound is more saturated/clipped, and this appears to be an in-game effect occurring even when settings racing sound effect to a low value (30-35% for example). This is audible clearly in certain cars, when using the "roof camera", when doing 4-wheel slides, or after pit stops (in online races).

Has anybody experienced this as well? I don't personally find this a very pleasing effect.
I hope PD didn't read some of the suggestions here for this (I remember somebody commenting how engine sounds would be better with more clipping/compression/distortion).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzA7VATVPDc

There's some reasonably good intake sound in this video, right before he starts talking, and at 1:55 where he stops talking again. To my ears, it sounds rather similar to the GP2 cars (though a bit more "closed/muffled", so I'd guess the intake configuration would be quite similar:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj_bZAE_YaM

But then again, the camera microphone setup seems to play a huge role in how we hear the sounds, as the exhaust note is quite audible in this video:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D_c0WfGW90

Inside the real HSV, I'd presume the exhaust would not be quite audible, especially since there's quite some distance and shielding between the exhaust and the driver, especially compared with the GP2 cars.

Yeah, they do sound similar. It is tricky with onboard recordings because we don't know where the microphone is, since it's not always where the camera is. I've only just noticed, too, that the GP2 cars use an "8 into 1" exhaust, which explains the F1 sound from 10k.

One thing about tin tops versus open-wheelers is the relative level of body vibrations contributing to the "interior" sound. The engine vibrations are transmitted fairly efficiently (thanks to the more rigid engine mounts) into the chassis and body work, which then "rings" according to its own resonances (remember this? ;)), and you get a good deal of hard-edged "engine" sound as a result. It's still there in single seaters, especially since the engine is usually a structural component, so it's even harder to decouple the vibrations. Any microphones placed on or near chassis or bodywork components will pick up these vibrations - I'm reminded of that video demonstrating the recording of a Murciélago for Shift 2, where they captured the vibrations in the roll cage using a surface-mounted transducer. Speaking of the 134, the onboard shots near the start and towards the end of this video have plenty of engine vibration (probably mostly structural, rather than airborne), and the rest of the video shows the contrast between intake and exhaust very well again, which can never hurt. :P

Anyway, since the engines in the HSV and GP2 cars are very similar, it's not surprising the engine (vibration) tone is also similar. The intake, which should be very distinctive for a flat-plane V8 with a single plenum, isn't that audible in either case. The only way really to get decent interior representations for these cars is to have dedicated interior recordings, unless they use some clever trickery to be able to use the sources they already have.

Some forty-odd posts all with lazy grammar. Is this really the best way to make a fourth (or is this your fifth?) impression?

As I posted on other thread, definitely there is something different with the sounds. The tire sounds are more noticeable and the whole thing feel better distributed. I'm not using a high quality sound setup, just a tv plugged on a sound system, using small theatre setting on GT5.

I'm playing right now and just passing some cars such as the Mercedes SL55 AMG give such a nice impression. Maybe I've never noticed before.

Well, I'm far from a sound expert, but something changed and IMHO it's definitely better.

Last edited:
Some forty-odd posts all with lazy grammar. Is this really the best way to make a fourth (or is this your fifth?) impression?

i lost count, and sorry english is not my first language, don't you have anything better to do? i mean besides harassing users for "lazy grammar"...

i lost count, and sorry english is not my first language, don't you have anything better to do? i mean besides harassing users for "lazy grammar"...

I think he means punctuation because all the rest is fine. On GTP grammar is of the essence, perhaps a ban cause, since that is the "retarded kids filter" and it's awesome being able to read easily on an interwebz forum.

As I posted on other thread, definitely there is something different with the sounds. The tire sounds are more noticeable and the whole thing feel better distributed. I'm not using a high quality sound setup, just a tv plugged on a sound system, using small theatre setting on GT5.

I'm playing right now and just passing some cars such as the Mercedes SL55 AMG give such a nice impression. Maybe I've never noticed before.

Well, I'm far from a sound expert, but something changed and IMHO it's definitely better.

The tyre sounds were noticeably different to me, too - an improvement somehow, even though they're technically the same sounds. I shall have to look into this saturation lark, though, and opponent sound levels to see how the different sound settings compare this time out.

This isn't really about that though.

Sure, several posters have been "blown off", but that's more to do with them defending Polyphonys "work", rather than coming out and saying that they are happy with the sounds in their opinion.

We were told to expect perfection - You have to expect some form of discontent when the standards we see are far below that.

Even then, history repeatidly teaches us that you have to take things with a grain of salt.

The tyre sounds were noticeably different to me, too - an improvement somehow, even though they're technically the same sounds. I shall have to look into this saturation lark, though, and opponent sound levels to see how the different sound settings compare this time out.

Great! Can't wait to read some more detailed opinions about it. :)

Something better to do? Yes, but you won't like it...

Has anyone noticed that the Mazda RX7 Spirit R Type A Premium, when in cockpit view, now I can hear the blow off valve noise when releasing the throttle . Does it happen in the previous version ?

Update : I tried the standard RX7 RZ '95, same as premium, bov noise.

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed that the Mazda RX7 Spirit R Type A Premium, when in cockpit view, now I can hear the blow off valve noise when releasing the throttle . Does it happen in the previous version ?

Update : I tried the standard RX7 RZ '95, same as premium, bov noise.

You mean a RX-7 with an additional turbo charger?
So far I've only noticed a light bov turbo noise on the Blitz Skyline models (the standard one especially since it has a lighter exhaust than the Premium one... I think...) but I don't use them because I think they are ugly ricers. :indiff:

You mean a RX-7 with an additional turbo charger?
So far I've only noticed a light bov turbo noise on the Blitz Skyline models (the standard one especially since it has a lighter exhaust than the Premium one... I think...) but I don't use them because I think they are ugly ricers. :indiff:

No, the cars were stock, not even oil change yet, it's very audible, almost like when in hood view, I like it.
I am curious about R3x GTRs and Supra as well other turbo cars now, going to try them all out.

Back