GTP_Race Event 03 - Discussion Thread

• Thread starter EDK
  • 603 comments
GTP_PASM v GTP_DukeOfPendle

GTP_PASM won 2-0

Very briefly: The first race was close, mainly due to the benefit of the slipstream. We swapped the lead 3 or 4 times during the race. Bart crossed the line 0.2 secs ahead of me

2nd race: I made a mistake on the first corner, sliding slightly wide. Having lost the slipstream, Barts' faster pace was more apparent - he pulled over a second per lap on me throughout the race. Winning margin was 6 or 7 seconds.

The racing, when we were close, was fair and clean with no contacts. There was no interference from any other racers.
A well deserved victory Bart 👍 Good luck in your remaining races.

Thanks to the spectators also - Hyperspeed, Cohiba, MJH and DarkNeo.
Apologies if I missed anyone, but I was busy :lol:

Good write-up. Not much to add. We decided to go at 08 and 28 so that we knew for sure that we'd get a good grid. First race was good fun and close too. I was lucky to make the pass on the back straight coming into 130R. Phil covered the inside, but I just got enough speed to go round and Phil was a gent around there.
Second race, once I broke the tow with some luck I kept pushing hard and pulled out a 2'17.395 on lap 4 :) Don't know how that is compared to the rest 'cause nobody posted a time yet (hint :lol:).

Thanks to Phil for the races, good luck in your upcoming races 👍

GTP_MeAgainstYou vs GTP_Hyperspeed
winner: GTP_Hyperspeed

race 1:
Dan on pole but i got it better to the 1st corner... close race.. changing positions all the way... lap 4, chicane, poum poroum poum poum.... and Dan got away with about 1.5/2 seconds due the lag (i think).. thought he could wait but no... (maybe he didnt feel any bumps and didnt see me far away on his mirror, PD fault) :lol: :mischievous: and he won...

race 2:
me on pole.. pretty much the same... on the last lap Dan came to pass me before 130R.. i passed him from the outside approaching the chicane but missed the braking point and he won again...

well done Dan.. its yours! congrats :cheers:

lap 4, chicane, poum poroum poum poum.... and Dan got away with about 1.5/2 seconds due the lag (i think).. thought he could wait but no... (maybe he didnt feel any bumps and didnt see me far away on his mirror, PD fault) :lol: :mischievous: and he won...

Whaaaaat?

Yes it was laggy, and no I didnt feel any touch. :dopey: If I knew we touched, I would have waited. :crazy:

Would have been happy to rerun it. IF you had mentioned it at the time. ;)

Thanks for the races. 👍

Thats why you talk to each other during the competition period ;) MAY you have been in enough of these situation to ask for a re-run if the the contact ruined the race. Dan is a good enough guy to re-run if a racing accident occured.

Congrats on the win Hyperslow 👍

Congrats on your win Dan 👍
May: commiserations.
It's bad form in my book to cast doubts on the result afterwards. Either ask for a re-run immediately, or concede defeat graciously.

Sounds like you lost-twice-and still can't quite believe it, based on the write up. Maybe its just me, but your congratulatory remark rings a bit hollow. Losing a 3rd time might drive the point home, but somehow I doubt it.

ahah.. this is my fuel.. its really funny.. ill lose more times.. seams that some like it :lol: :D
easy people..

@Dan: did i needed too? i guess its a yes. but no prob m8 you felt no bumps as you said and you might felt good to gain almost 2 seconds falling from nowhere.. maybe from the sky ;) JK :dopey:

@jack: the bumps were pretty clear... but as we are very friends... the only thing i said after the race was: "..." expecting Dan's reaction... as he said nothing about it... i take it as a clean move due the lag... blame me... :lol: maybe PD fault ;)

@Duke: can i write what happened at least? or should i omit something to avoid issues? im just telling the "key moment" of the race... otherwise the forum will die soon... :lol: and dont worry it would be a re-run if it was necessary.. it wasnt! if i kept running the result would be probably the same.. he was prepared and faster ;) 👍

1-Maybe its just me, but your congratulatory remark rings a bit hollow. 2- Losing a 3rd time might drive the point home, but somehow I doubt it.

1-its just you. would you like some confetti and balloons!? :sly:
2-what do you mean? :P

@Duke: can i write what happened at least? or should i omit something to avoid issues? im just telling the "key moment" of the race... otherwise the forum will die soon... :lol: and dont worry it would be a re-run if it was necessary.. it wasnt! if i kept running the result would be probably the same.. he was prepared and faster ;) 👍

OK - you clarified it now, which makes an old-fashioned git like me happier.👍
My point though - At the end of the racing you are either satisfied it was a fair outcome or you are not. If you have any issues, then these should be resolved privately before any public reporting takes place.
By raising the subject of contact, whether due to lag or otherwise, you have inadvertantly implied that the result was not fair. This type of thing does nothing to enhance the reputation of your opponent, and would indeed have the opposite effect.
So - unless this was your original intention, then the lag/contact incident is best not mentioned. In retrospect, maybe you should have just parked and messaged Dan - "This is too laggy to race, I got bumped in Casio, can we start again?"
Fair play, MAY - It's a very British thing, you know? :lol:

fairplay its a british thing.. oh really? then look at 2 of the best football players in the world... who's most fair!? :lol:

well done Dan.. its yours! congrats :cheers:

...and that´s all that matters. Congratulations to Dan, comiserations to Bruno who has accepted the result.

Everything else is just needless now :cheers:

All the best
Maz

Thanks Maz 👍 and Bruno, the lag was so bad in that 1st race, I nearly parked it after turn 1 where you nudge nudge nudged me. I said in the chat after the race that the lag made it very hard to race close, each lap following you into Dunlop your car was lagging off the track and coming back. :nervous: I thought you put a tyre onto the grass @ Casio, and that is what cost you the race. I still find it strange why you did not mention it after the race?

:cheers:
BTW, I hate football ;)

:cheers:
BTW, I hate football ;)
+1

To be honest, I didnt get the message too from MAY when he typed "...". But in the end Dan won deservedly, so congratulations. 👍 I'm sure Bruno will have better luck next time :cheers:

Guys, if there's an issue with the race, let's please discuss it in private.

Bruno, you know the procedure for complaints, the first step is to make the complaint to the competitor, and try to work things out. The next step, if that does not work, is to contact a race admin, in private.

So everyone, please stop with the public mudslinging and bickering match.

uuuhh.. so much noise.. what for!?? :lol: if there was any big problem on the race results i would make it private... i still dont see any problem.. Dan won both races and i toke it as it was ;) i just made my comment of the races... can i!? im not complaining.. its just my point of view. but i should shut up now because it seams i cant express myself very well in english.. :D i just want to have fun.. no worries.. relax guys.. i am too 👍

btw.. i like football ;) its funny... comic sometimes :lol:

Event 03 - Stage 3 Week 2
GTP_Mav3r1cK vs GTP_Eriba

Winner - GTP_Mav3r1cK (2-0)

A somewhat bitter sweet victory given that Philip (GTP_Eriba) was barely well enough to play. I think special mention should go to Eriba for making the effort to at least turn out instead of just giving me a pass.

I very much hope to run into you again at some point Eriba. As I said in my PM, I genuinly believe we would be relativley closely matched, and I would love the opportunity to race you when your back on your feet fully.

All the best to you mate - and I hope you feel better soon.

Cheers,

Mav

Good win Mav.

Thanks for the kind words Mav, you could see the slight difference between Div 3 Gold and Div 4 Gold that one second or so a lap, even thought I pushed you hard at times bumper to bumper, I could see the whites of your eyes in your rear view mirror, you kept your cool and managed to recover from the ragged edge.

I was very impressed with your lines and how you handled the BMW135i under pressure, let’s face it; it’s not the easiest of cars to do so.

You drove a great race and a well deserved victory.

Congratulations Mav on a great Win, good luck in the rest of the Event.

Phillip.

GTP_Synwraith vs GTP_PASM
Winner: GTP_PASM

Fuji 700PP Amuse Opera 350Z Tuned

Race 1

I started on pole, we were neck and neck first corner but I edged ahead on the approach to turn 2. I ended lap 1 a decent distance ahead so I thought I'd use the opportunity to pit and run some free air laps as I was very confident of my pace. My outlap was great but somehow Bart exited his pit stop on the following lap nearly 2 secs up the road and I had no idea how that could have occured as my outlap was a very good 1'44. Anyway I plugged away for that lap and Bart stopped again. Now he was about 5s behind and I knew an immediate pitstop by me would put me terminally behind him. Cue a string of laps in order to get my gap. I managed two 1'39.7s among a string of 1'39s and finally with the gap nearly at 7s I dived in and came out right with Bart. Job done! I tried very hard to be second exiting the last corner on lap 10 and managed that, then Bart moved to the pit wall and I tried as best I could to maintain a draft but in the end just narrowly missed the victory by something like 0.05s, but all the time I was certain Bart had not received a pit stop penalty first time out.

I spoke to Bart and it turned out he did receive the penalty, but he may have shortcutted the pitlane chicane too closely and gained a bit through the pitstop as he ran an outlap of 1'43 so he kindly agreed to a rerun 👍

Race 2

I led this one into the first corner and the race went pretty much as you'd expect with us trading tenths here and there. I cant recall who pitted first but I think it was me, so he led for a bit, then Bart did his 2 stops and I decided to wait until near the end to pit again but I wasnt pulling out enough so I decided to pit early and take my chances at the end of the race. I came out about 1.7s behind Bart but closed the gap thanks to some drafting. Unfortunately I threw the race away on lap 8 but cutting the chicane after T2 finely and receiving a short cut penalty. That was that, Bart won by roughly 4seconds. I managed a best lap of 1'39.605 this race, my best to date on this combo.

I felt the first race was my peak, a flawless and high speed 10-lap race with 2 good pitstops, but in the second race my error cost me dearly. Bart was very close if not identical on overall race pace and ran 20 laps without any costly faults. He deserves this victory thoroughly and showed true sportsmanship by offering a rerun.

I've now run Animera and PASM, the hardest opponents in my section really damn close but I'm much better than I was a month ago. It took 20 laps for me to slip up isntead of just 10 and I think maybe overall I had a faster outright pace than Animera and PASM on the respective combos, but both those guys drove better, raced better and made NO mistakes. that's the key 👍

But I desperately wish Bart had not gotten the pit advantage in that first race, that one was mine :D

I should mention that I had far more practice at this combo than Bart who only logged 2h50 mins total, I had days of practice before my holiday and a few hours today to get up to speed which I am happy that I did, no excuses there. Many deserved congratulations to Bart and best of luck with your other races, see you again in week 3 :cheers:

All the best
Maz

GTP_Synwraith vs GTP_JvM
Winner: GTP_Synwraith (2-1)

Suzuka 550PP - BMW 135i

First of all, many kind thanks to Jukka for agreeing to not practise this combo until I had returned from holiday and finished my 350Z race. As such, we both turned a wheel in it at Suz for the first time today and did 2 practise races and some freerun (my best was 2'18.119) then just went into our races. Thank you mate :cheers:

Race 1

I was to start this race from pole and led into the first corner. There were 2 other cars on track, Warren (GTP_Theewar) in another 135i and a red Clio[ES]. Those two raced off with Warren hoping to keep the guy honest and out of our way. I led the whole first lap and Jukka got me into 130R then we went side by side into Casio, cleanly, and Jukka came out ahead after a couple of crossovers. I then re-passed into the first corner. Cue the same thing for lap after lap, always side by side in 130R and Casio without a touch.

On about lap 4 we reached Warren and the Clio, Warren used the extra Chicane on 200R to stay out of the way successfully but we caught the Clio at Spoon 1. I made the pass and so did Jukka but the Clio dived inside Jukka, nudged him and gave Jukka a penalty. I let the Clio past and waited for Jukka and we carried on.

All the time Jukka made sure to not gain advantage from the Clio's slipstream even though we had not agreed this beforehand, so I did the same and stayed out where possible. We basically acted as best we could that he wasn't there. He took himself out on turn 1 last lap anyway so it all worked out nicely.

I led the last lap and Jukka streamed past at 130R but I was a little too far ahead to back off and slip him back into Casio so I tried to give him room yet stay 2-wide. This would have been fine but I got a wheel on the rumbles and went around backwards. Jukka won by a large margin deservedly through a flawless performance 👍

GTP_Synwraith 0-1 GTP_JvM

Race 2

In this race there was just Jukka (host and on pole this time) and LED_GTLMsquad in a 111R. The Elise went off at the start while we did our 30 second countdown. This race was almost the same as the first. Lap after lap we were never separated by more than 0.4s, passes into turn 1, passes on the back straight into 130R, passes in Casio and always side by side without bumps, terrific and exhilarating stuff! The Elise had pulled off and waited for us then eventually caught us up and was all over us in the esses, I received about 4 bumps from him but thankfully rescued all 4 and managed to stay with Jukka.

Lap 5 saw the Elise close at Spoon and me drafting Jukka to 130R. I passed on the inside and he crossed over to pass again on the left before Casio. I stayed right and took the inside line into the right and outside for the left...side by side...I got the better drive having a wider turn and Jukka's smaller turning circle to stay straight and leave me room left him slower and I won at the line. Many thanks to LED for not interfering at the end 👍

GTP_Synwraith 1-1 GTP_JvM

Race 3

And so to the last race, I started again on pole and the other racers were always too far ahead and talented to trouble us. Cue YET another race of bumper to bumper racing, side by sides in 130R and Casio, passing in all the same places...wonderful relaxed, enjoyable racing against the person I consider to be the most aware, fair, clean and quality driver in the whole OLR community. This is what it should be like.

Lap 4 on the corner before Dunlop I took too much sand and got a little sideways but stayed straight, Jukka gave me enough space to avoid an accident.

Lap 5....everything on the line...Spoon 2 I was ahead and took it very well but Jukka not so well so he was behind on the back straight...but the truth is if you get a better Spoon 2 exit than your follower, he gets a much better slipstream and speed into 130R so Jukka made a good pass into 130R and it was all or nothing now. I planned to brake later and get inside at Casio but Jukka braked a little earlier than I thought he would so I made the dive and held onto it, Jukka leaving me the space as he saw me coming...I was ahead after Casio, Jukka RIGHT on my bumper with me hugging the inside of the last curve...

Then it was over....we didn't make the 30s time limit after the leader had won...15 laps of incredibly close, fair, awesome races was abruptly over with me as the winner. But it could have been any one of us, it was that close.

GTP_Synwraith 2-1 GTP_JvM

Thanks to Kevin for such a great combo, a truly fun little car the 135i. A truly fantastic experience thanks to Jukka's sportsmanship and consideration for my time off over the last 2 weeks. He himself had not touched GT5P for ages, being in love with GTR like much of T&L currently.

It really makes a difference racing someone you trust 100% and always enjoy racing, this was a nice relaxed but competitive encounter that I would have been utterly happy and satisfied to have lost. :bowdown: JvM.

All the best
Maz

profilepic112498_2.gif

:D

Last edited:
GTP_mad94d Vs GTP_Stotty
Winner: GTP_Stotty (2-1)

Race 1
Stotty started from pole and I led into turn 1. We raced hard and close the entire way, except I hit him a countless amount of times including once where he went off into the sand. I let him rejoin and didn't attempt to pass him until about 30 seconds later due to the dirty tyres. On the last lap I passed Stotty down the back straight, but went to deep into 130R and surfed the Synthetic grass. I had a massive powerslide and obviously I nearly pulled the wheel off the setup to catch the slide. Stotty then passed me around the outside under brakes and held it to the line to take a well deserved win.

Race 2
This time it was me from pole and I led into turn 1 again, I led most of the way. We were glued to each others bumpers the entire race yet again, it was going to come down to the last lap. I led across the start finish line going into lap 5 and Stotty could've passed me, but chose to stay behind. I knew why and I'm sure you all do to. Coming out of spoon, he was perfectly positioned in the slipstream. He rounded me up going into 130R, but then he surfed the synthetic grass exactly the same as me except he didn't catch it and spun through my car and into the sand trap on the outside of the casio chicane braking zone. So that made it 1-1

Race 3
Stotty from pole again and also a Clio which was sitting on the grid. We had a great race yet again, but something worried me. The Clio had pulled over under the bridge on lap 1 and then set off again behind us. I was watching my mirrors and I could slowly see the Clio closing in as we were racing closely. By Lap 4 he was right behind us and looking to pull off a pass. On lap 5 coming into the hairpin, Stotty was behind me and the Clio was really applying the blow torch (pressure). He dived underneath Stotty into the hairpin, I believe there was contact which pushed Stotty wide. There was now a Clio in between us and that affected the last few corners of the lap and costing Stotty big time. I won, but we agreed to re-run the race.

Race 4
We joined at :40 and saw a lot of drivers we know such as KOR_Joker, zabeu and GTP_aussienicko just to name a few. Stotty was from pole again. I led into turn 1 and Stotty closely followed through the esses. Coming into Degner 1, I lost concentration and toured the sand. This put me about 5-6 seconds behind. I knew the race was over, but I pushed on and did all 2'17.5's and a 2'17.2 for the rest of the race. I just tried to go as fast as I could incase Stotty made a mistake, but Stotty drove conservatively and cruised in the 2'18's. This was enough to take the win.

Result: Stotty wins 2-1

Thanks for the races Stotty, always great fun racing against drivers from overseas like yourself. Good luck in your future races.:cheers:

Mad I thought I jumped in on one of your races! After I saw you and Stotty on the grid I immediately remembered your race. Anyway, better luck next time mate, and congrats to Stotty. :cheers:

Really bad luck in the last race Madison... the 3 we'd had up to then were all really close.

Pleasure racing you... shame you're time zone is so different that we don't get to run more often.

GTP_mad94d Vs GTP_Hyperspeed

Matched 1st time with no problem, I asked Rudi to host and we had a great connection. Thanks Rudi 👍 Me and Mad had a great race, with lots of nice overtakes, I crossed the line first.

The 2nd attempt took much more effort, Mad had troubles joining us, but we got there on the 4th attempt I think it was. Small grid, another nice race up to lap 5, Mad got a shortcut penalty @ Degner 2, and that gave me a 4+ sec lead, and that was that. Thanks Madison for the racing, close as always. :cheers:

GTP_Synwraith vs GTP_DukeOfPendle
Winner: GTP_Synwraith (2-1)

Lotus Evora - Suzuka 550PP

Race 1

I started this one on pole and led Phil all the way up to the hairpin on lap 1, but Phil spun on the exit of the hairpin after getting on the grass, so I was handed a present of roughly 10 to 14 secs that way. On lap 4 I caught traffic but they were very courteous and I passed both at Casio, finishing roughly 14 secs ahead of Phil at the end.

GTP_Synwraith 1-0 GTP_DukeOfPendle

Race 2

Phil started on pole but I got a much better start and led into turn 1. Phil had a real big moment on an early lap at Dunlop and I thought I was clear but to his credit he stayed in touch and this was a really close race. We had some hairy side by side moments at Casio but Phil passed me at 130R on the last lap and held his lead through Casio to win brilliantly :cheers:

GTP_Synwraith 1-1 GTP_DukeOfPendle

Race 3

I started on pole again after a few failed attempts at a race start and we swapped positions at the usual turn 1 and 130R locations. Very close and intense race again although I thought I had pulled away in T1 on a number of occasions only to be in position to be drafted into 130R again at the end of the lap. On lap 5 Phil had to go really deep into 130R to get past and spun on the exit rumbles, so I got lucky there.

GTP_Synwraith 2-1 GTP_DukeOfPendle

Brilliant races Phil, easily as intense and serious an encounter as I've had with anyone in event03 so far. Any one of us could have been succesful here, such was the close nature of the combo and the racing. Was a pleasure as always mate, you should be easy D2 gold in my opinion :cheers:

All the best
Maz

Great races Maz (except for the first one, after my numpty mistake).
A well deserved victory Maz: always a pleasure to race against you.
Good luck in your remaining races 👍

Congrats to.

GTP_Synwraith, GTP_Hyperspeed, GTP_Stotty on your Wins.

Commiserations to.

GTP_DukeOfPendle, GTP_mad94d, GTP_JvM

But its not over till the fat lady sings.

GTP_Stotty Vs GTP_Hyperspeed

We both matched 1st time no probs, I pulled a small lead on lap 1 up to Spoon, where I got a bit sideways hanging on the rumble strip for dear life, :crazy: which allowed Chris to close the gap, back on my bumper.

Was a very close race, lost of overtaking, and nice clean battle with no drama. I just beat him over the line by .0 :nervous:

In the 2nd race, Chris had a moment @ Degner on lap 1 or 2 which gave me some room, I caught the other 2 cars and the type R nudged me a bit in the esses, I got past him and I belive Chris had some contact with the Clio also. And that is pretty much it. Thanks Chris. :cheers:

Many congratulations on winning Division 1 in event 03, COMPLETELY undefeated Dan :bowdown:

A well-earned D1 gold tag :)

All the best
Maz

GTP_Synwraith vs GTP_PASM
Winner: GTP_Synwraith (2-0)

Suzuka 550PP - Lotus Evora

I should mention that as Bart and I were meeting on GTP chat to start our race I did notice that he had not been on PSN in 6 days, as a result he had had much less practice if any at this combo. I had a tune ready to go but Bart I think was setting it up on the fly.

Race 1

GTP_Eriba was our spectator in this race. I started this one on pole and got a much better start into turn 1. Bart's setup allowed him for the most part to stay close and catch in T1 but lose a lot of ground through T2 not allowing him to be close enough to make a move into the main overtaking spots of 130R, Casio or turn 1. On a couple of occasions Bart slid into me and we both recovered to keep the same positions including an off at turn 1 where I think Bart lost more time as a result of hitting me than I did. I don't have any hard feelings about this because I know Bart hadn't spent time with the car or setup to get used to the full braking characteristics, even though he felt terrible about the bumps he didn't need to 👍 After the turn 1 incident on lap 4 I had about 2 or 3 seconds and managed to shake the draft and win.

GTP_Synwraith 1-0 GTP_PASM

Race 2

The spectator for this one was GTP_DukeOfPendle. I started 2nd this time but got a much better start again and had a good lead through T1 and T2. I noticed that Bart had disappeared from my mirrors and later realised he was parked in the runoff at 130R. I didn't know if he'd gone off and given up or something similar so I carried on to the finish. It turns out he had quickly retuned his gears and somehow the PP had dropped to 545PP so he had PSNed me for a rerun. Bart felt there was a possibility that he had run with incorrect PP in the first race but neither myself nor Phil could recall if we saw 545PP on the grid, for my part I hadn't but Bart had already accepted the result. We decided to rerun this particular race.

Race 3

It was still Bart on pole with 550PP now. Again I made the better start, more than likely a result of gearing and setup. Bart I think was very keen not to lose me again and wanted to keep me behind him as he was having trouble getting in a position to overtake first time. He stayed a little behind but around the outside all the way to the exit of turn 1 but received a penalty which he told me about after the race. He said he was using the bumper or hood cam and saw no contact at all. I was 10 seconds up at the end of the lap. Bart would reduce the gap a little through turn 1 and then I'd pull it back again + a little more through T2, and it seemed we were the same through T3. On one of the laps I think Bart had a moment at Spoon and the gap went up to 20 secs, eventually finishing at around 21 I believe. He did not ask for a rerun and accepted the result.

GTP_Synwraith 2-0 GTP_PASM

I do feel bad for Bart as he clearly had nowhere near enough seat time to be able to give this as good a shot as he would have wanted, and even though on the day I had the pace, Bart had some pretty bad luck. Unfortunately it is the responsibility of the drivers to make sure they organise their races and make time to practise, and we only have 1 or 2 days before the update, Bart still has to race Jukka as well so it had to be Monday night or risk not happening. Also I've had to squeeze all 4 of my stage 3 races into 7 days so it's the same for all of us. Many thanks to Bart for making the time to race, and I'm sorry it worked out this way for you mate.

Thanks also to the two Phils for watching 👍

All the best
Maz

Latest Posts

Back