GTP_Race Event 03 - Discussion Thread

• Thread starter EDK
  • 603 comments
GTP_Synwraith vs GTP_PASM

This looked a great race watching from the pit lane, was just like Tom and Jerry.

Nose to tail most of the time, then a small gap would show up on the race map as Tom tried to escape Jerry's jaws. Then Jerry would get the sent of Tom's tail once again and close the gap, Chomping at the bit, looking for that one sweet bit into Tom’s tail.

But just like Tom and Jerry, Tom this time was able to live, to be chased another day.

Phillip.

Late update from me
Car-lotus evora
GTP_Mav3r1cK vs GTP_grevling
grevling winner (1-2)

GTP_grevling vs GTO_eriba
grevling winner (2-0)
Close and fun race with you both:tup:
It`difficult for me to write about the race(my English sucks:yuck:)
Ole B

Well done to Ole B on your wins :cheers:

Comiserations to Mav and Phil, better luck in any remaining races you may have 👍

All the best
Maz

GTP_JvM v GTP_DukeOfPendle
Winner: GTP_JvM

Had three nice races without any serious problems from others. (One failed match only)

Race I:
Changed positions many times during the race. Nice close battling. I went past in lap 4 mainstraight leading through the esses and dunlop. Then at degner I saw Phil having an unlucky slip behind me. Maybe went too fast in(?). He went to the sand and I kept it on the road for the reamining race. 1-0 for me then.

Race II:
Very close one again all the way. There was one clio which waited and started to follow us quite close. We changed positions almost every straight. Clio all the time on our back. I think he/she gave us both a little touch but nothing too serious. At some point the clio made a mistake and we were on our own. I was ahead at start of lap5, then tried to make a gap but didn't succeed. Phil overtook me before 130r. Entered casio very close and finished me about touching Phil's bumper. :) 1-1.

Race III:
Like the previous, nice close racing again. Again I was ahead in the lap5 beginning. I got a little gap in the esses and then during dunlop Phil pushed a tad too hard and went into the sand on the outside. I managed to bring it safely to finish. 2-1.

Enjoyable races Phil. :cheers:
See you on track again. 👍

GTP_MeAgainstYou vs GTP_Stotty
winner: GTP_MeAgainstYou (2-0)

race1:
i found that Sotty was quicker in straight line so... exiting the chicane to start 3rd lap (i think) i kept on the right side of the track.. stotty tried to go further to the right to pass me and he crashed.. then i was alone till the end

race2:
me on pole.. Stotty had a bad exiting or maybe my S3 gave me more grip to jump.. and i got the gap to avoid him to catch the slipstream and was +/- the same gap until the end..

bad luck Stotty.. thanks for the races :cheers: and....
i need to add.. this is a crap car.. as it was lancia,350z,bmw... and theres nothing but slipstream to win the races (a part crashes)... but as i already said before its the same to all... not complaining to the organizers because they dont have too much to choose.. 👍 but still...

btw... this round is the end of the event?

GTP_MeAgainstYou vs GTP_Stotty
winner: GTP_MeAgainstYou (2-0)

race1:
i found that Sotty was quicker in straight line so... exiting the chicane to start 3rd lap (i think) i kept on the right side of the track.. stotty tried to go further to the right to pass me and he crashed.. then i was alone till the end

race2:
me on pole.. Stotty had a bad exiting or maybe my S3 gave me more grip to jump.. and i got the gap to avoid him to catch the slipstream and was +/- the same gap until the end..

bad luck Stotty.. thanks for the races :cheers: and....
i need to add.. this is a crap car.. as it was lancia,350z,bmw... and theres nothing but slipstream to win the races (a part crashes)... but as i already said before its the same to all... not complaining to the organizers because they dont have too much to choose.. 👍 but still...

btw... this round is the end of the event?

Congrats on your win. 👍

This is the last group round, the division winners (And podium division finishers) will be named, based on these results.

If there are ties, we'll need to have some runoff races for that outcome.

As I said after the last event, the division winners are the real winners. And this time, they've really earned it, with great consistency against many top drivers, over a number of weeks. Winning your division in this format shows tremendous consistency and adaptability.

We'll have some form of an "exhibition" race, among the division winners, once those have been decided. Likely along the lines of Event_02, where I let them decide the venue and car.

Will definitely post up more details soon. 👍

:cheers:
Kevin

JvM
GTP_JvM v GTP_DukeOfPendle
Winner: GTP_JvM

Had three nice races without any serious problems from others. (One failed match only)

Race I:
Changed positions many times during the race. Nice close battling. I went past in lap 4 mainstraight leading through the esses and dunlop. Then at degner I saw Phil having an unlucky slip behind me. Maybe went too fast in(?). He went to the sand and I kept it on the road for the reamining race. 1-0 for me then.

Race II:
Very close one again all the way. There was one clio which waited and started to follow us quite close. We changed positions almost every straight. Clio all the time on our back. I think he/she gave us both a little touch but nothing too serious. At some point the clio made a mistake and we were on our own. I was ahead at start of lap5, then tried to make a gap but didn't succeed. Phil overtook me before 130r. Entered casio very close and finished me about touching Phil's bumper. :) 1-1.

Race III:
Like the previous, nice close racing again. Again I was ahead in the lap5 beginning. I got a little gap in the esses and then during dunlop Phil pushed a tad too hard and went into the sand on the outside. I managed to bring it safely to finish. 2-1.

Enjoyable races Phil. :cheers:
See you on track again. 👍

Great racing Jukka 👍
For most golfers, the memorable event in a round of golf is the one shot that was perfect. My perfect shot in this event was taking a race win against JvM.
However, the cream always floats to the top, and the only way to stay in contact with Jukka was for me to drive at 10/10 for the whole race, so a couple of mistakes were inevitable.
I will buy a ticket for the Div 2 decider because it will be epic. :bowdown::cheers:

GTP_Race Event 03

Can I just say congratulations to all that took part in this event.

From beginning to end the sportsmanship shown throughout this competition was fantastic, a big thank you, has to go to the organizers and the admin, for their hard work and time putting on the event as, GTP_Meagainstyou (Bruno) pointed out, great job with what limited tracks and cars they have to work with.

Congrats to all the Group winners and runner ups you have all worked very hard to reach this stage in the event, I concur with EDK consistency is the name of the game, well done.

Last edited:
Well said Phil, it has been a supremely enjoyable event and anyone who made it to stage 2 and beyond has every right to be proud of themselves. Many many thanks to Kevin and Jack for making this possible. I've certainly sacrificed every other part of my GT5P particpation to do as well as possible in this campaign :cheers:

I eagerly await the result of GTP_PASM vs GTP_JvM!

All the best
Maz

Quick mention, as many GTP members have already been asking when the next event is.

Keep a look out for the next event coming, soon to be posted.

In a race of Decades.

I hope you’ll all show the same great interest and sportsmanship, help and support, that was shown in Event 03.

Please note that this is not an official GTP_Event.

We're certainly supportive of Member created events, I just wanted all to be aware of this.

Event 04 might have to wait for the release of GT5, if that happens this year. ;)

Kevin

EDK
Please note that this is not an official GTP_Event.

We're certainly supportive of Member created events, I just wanted all to be aware of this.

Event 04 might have to wait for the release of GT5, if that happens this year. ;)

Kevin

Thanks Kevin for that quick mention.
It was not my intention to make it sound an official GTP_Event.
That’s why it the title is In a race of Decades.
As new members, existing member and members that have taken part in event03 have asked about another event, I thought it may be a good time to post something. All helps to keep interest in the forum.
But if you feel that this is not the time or place by all means remove it I don’t mind.
Phillip.

Thanks Kevin for that quick mention.
It was not my intention to make it sound an official GTP_Event.
That’s why it the title is In a race of Decades.
As new members, existing member and members that have taken part in event03 have asked about another event, I thought it may be a good time to post something. All helps to keep interest in the forum.
But if you feel that this is not the time or place by all means remove it I don’t mind.
Phillip.

No problems at all, Phillip. I just wanted everyone to know it was not an event we (The OLR Admin Team) would be running. 👍

Couple of congrats to call out...

Dan: Well done matey! Undefeated throughout the entire event - big congratulations 👍 :cheers:

MAY: Thanks for the race last night and sorry I wasn't more of a challenge.

Thanks to all the drivers I raced throughout the series... all were fast and clean :)

And an even bigger thanks to Kev for organising and running the event 👍

sorry guys.. but me and Mad couldnt match our races.. so its a draw for week 1 and 3 between us...

Congrats to all that take part on the event making so competitive (organizers and drivers) congrats to all division winners and special to Dan who never lost a race i think :cheers:

Yeah, sorry guys. We just never found a good time....

Congrats to everyone who took part in Event 03. It was a highly enjoyable event for me and i'm sure for many others.👍 I'd also like to thank all the organisers for such a well run event! Thanks guys.:cheers:

Thanks for the kind words guys, 👍 And great job Kev on the event from start to finish mate. :)

:gtpflag:

Just like to say thanks to Kevin for his outstanding work running this massive event, great job! 👍

Another thanks to all the participants for great competition, and the highly enjoyable weeks of racing. :cheers:

GTP_JvM vs GTP_PASM
Winner: GTP_PASM

Final stage Division 2 runoff Suzuka 800pp
both in Amuse S2000 GT1

Race 1:
In race 1 I started off pole with Jukka in hot pursuit. It was hosted by someone far away from Europe, because the lag was quite bad. Despite that we had a close race. In the final lap I got a good run out of the hairpin with Jukka braking a bit too late. I managed to stay in front on the back straight, coming out of the 130R Jukka closed the gap. I chose to defend the inside. Jukka breaking out of the slipstream into casio. In that moment, I got hit by lag and went wide. Jukka waited and let me pass over the finish line in first place. The hit had to be caused by lag, as Jukka told me after the race. Jukka gave me the win, as he didn't want the race to be re-run.

Race 2:
This is where the fun really started. Jukka launched off pole position leading into the esses. What followed was a real close race. Changing positions all the way. Into T1, into casio, or on the back straight; all the passing opportunities at Suzuka have been used in this great race. Coming into lap ten I was quite nervous. but I managed to stay on Jukka's tail untill we came out of Spoon. I got a good run out of the corner, Jukka defended the inside. I went past him on the outside and was in front by the time we arrived at the 130R. Going into Casio I defended the inside once again and got out the chicane in the lead. But, Jukka came out of the chicane with good speed, I defended the inside and managed to secure the win by under a tenth of a second. 👍

Awesome racing, Jukka! 👍 I really had fun racing you and in the end we were so evenly matched, which translated into this TOP NOTCH racing :) a big 👍 for you. I'm sure you'll have better luck next time.

GTP_JvM vs GTP_PASM
Winner: GTP_PASM

Final stage Division 2 runoff Suzuka 800pp
both in Amuse S2000 GT1

Awesome racing, Jukka! 👍 I really had fun racing you and in the end we were so evenly matched, which translated into this TOP NOTCH racing :) a big 👍 for you. I'm sure you'll have better luck next time.

Major congratulations to you Bart, Jukka is a very tough competitor. I watched both of these races from the pit and all the way through both races, these two were not separated by more than a fraction of a second. Absolutely no way to tell the outcome in advance.

It's a real shame about the first race but credit to Jukka for conceding it.

For anyone who is interested, Bart and I will be carrying out our D2 final next Saturday 👍

All the best
Maz

Thanks for the nice races Bart. 👍
First one as you told was not that enjoyable because of the lag. But nothing we could do about it. Second was really nice racing indeed. :)
I'm glad I could give you a fight dispite the big brake I had from the game.
Congrats again, well deserved win. 👍

Congrats on the Bart win, and commiserations to Jukka - sounds like a good race all round !!

Division 3 should be settled tonight as well. Grevling and I will be racing somewhere around 9.30 - 10pm, so if anyone wants to watch and assist with filling up the grid with GTP'ers then please feel free to do so.

We'll be in racing chat just before we head to the grid.

Cheers,

Mav

Division 2 Final

GTP_Synwraith vs GTP_PASM
Winner: GTP_PASM (2-0)

Suzuka 800PP - Amuse S2000

Race 1

I was to start this one on pole, with only two other cars in the race. I got a great start and led through T1 pulling away as I did all throughout our races up to the hairpin, but Bart would reel me back in and pass through 130R. I had some grief from a Skyline driving me off the road through T2 but Bart hung back until we'd passed him before resuming racing. We went up to lap 5 swapping positions but Bart went down the inside of 130R and I switched right to get him on the outside of Casio, overshot, and spun facing the wrong way. By the time I'd straightened up and crossed the start finish line, Bart was 7.3 seconds ahead.

This is exactly what happened to me when I raced Duke of Pendle, and it seems to bring out the best in my driving. I just put my head down and narrowed the gap from 7.3 down to 4.8 but lap 9 I overdid things a bit and the race finished with Bart winning flawlessly, 5.1 secs up the road from me.

GTP_Synwraith 0-1 GTP_PASM

Race 2

After nearly half an hour of trying to get into the same race, we finally hooked up! Despite starting second this time I still got a great start and led through T1. This would happen all race, I would catch/break in T1 and after the hairpin Bart would catch up and be passed by Casio. A fantastic race, some bumps from me but thankfully I never put Bart off. I tried to drive like a rash all over Bart's mirrors to apply the pressure but he was always cool, never a mistake, never a slip. I couldn't shake him either when I was ahead despite some very good first sectors and hairpins, even up to Spoon 2 I would put in great laps but he'd be back on my tail by turn 1. I gave up wishing for Bart to make an error and make my life easy by halfway through race 2 :lol:

On lap 10 I led the whole lap knowing that it all depended on me being able to get Bart back through Casio because it was inevitable he would pass me through 130R. I went to the outside in Casio ducked back in to get a better line out of the lefthander but Bart was very well-positioned and I could neither get under him or around him in time. And that's how GTP_PASM became GTP_Race Event 03 Division 2 Champion :bowdown:

GTP_Synwraith 0-2 GTP_PASM

A very very exciting and close encounter, and one that I am not at all disappointed or down about losing, although I am getting a little concerned with how many times I have come 2nd on this forum now :D (2nd Sixaxis champ, 2nd WRS D2 four times, 2nd overall WRS 44 - GTP_Bridesmaid anyone? :lol:) .

However if I've earned my promotion to Division 1, I have now raced Bart on 3 overall occasions in event 03 and in 6 races he's beaten me 4 times, he is truly deserving of Division 1 promotion. After all, he was the top qualifier in D2 back in the old F430 qualifier, missing D1 by something like 0.05s. And at this combo he has not had aaaanywhere near as much practice or preparation as me. He didn't have the overall lap speed that I did, but he raced without error and that's with not even signing in to GT5P for 6 days. Incredibly impressive.

Fantastic work Bart, totally deserving champion :cheers: 👍

All the best
Maz

Commiserations to Synwraith, and Congratulations to Bart.
Either one of you would have been a very deserving Champion :cheers:

Also, congratulations to all the other division winners, in particular
GTP_Hyperspeed with an incredibly impressive performance, going
undefeated against the rest of D1--Amazing :eek:

Thanks to EDK, Vaxen, Jack, Grim and all those who helped organize this great event :cheers: Can't wait until the next one :)

Commiserations to Synwraith, and Congratulations to Bart. :cheers:

Thanks for the kind words Carl.

👍

Bart is a tough customer. Congrats.

Maz, was this the reason you kept logging on and off yesterday evening? I thought you just didn't want to race with us plebs now that you are in the top league. ;)

Bart is a tough customer. Congrats.

Maz, was this the reason you kept logging on and off yesterday evening? I thought you just didn't want to race with us plebs now that you are in the top league. ;)

No absolutely not mate, I was just trying to get into the same race as Bart. We had a string of matching failures or just ending up in separate races.

Got there in the end :)

I would also like to extend my thanks to Kevin, Jack and everyone who helped set up this superb championship. I've driven a stack of cars/combos I would never have chosen myself and as a result feel like I've broadened my horizons and enjoyed this game a great deal more than I would have originally. Cars like the 135i, Art Morrison Vette, 350Z/Tuned, Amuse S2000, Ferrari 599 are not vehicles I would normally have run but I truly enjoyed getting to grips with those fabulous rides. And the inclusion of the Vette/Tuned and Evora was always going to make my day. I've also been forced to really up my game at Fuji and the results of that have been greatly beneficial to me, I feel like a much better all-round driver. The new format of the championship did mean that it went on for much longer but the sense of achievement was far greater and having a good run was incredibly satisfying. Thank you once more guys, roll on Gran Turismo 5 :cheers:

All the best
Maz

Last edited:
Thanks guys and major thanks to Maz! 👍 Thanks also for the kind words, Maz 👍 I can only do the same :lol: .

You've been a great competitor and we've had good races over the course of Event 03 and racing was always very close. If someone deserved a D1 promotion it is you in my opinion. Switching to the G25 and gathering the pace so quickly is really astonishing and shows your talent for racing. I always say: one who knows how to race only has to worry about getting the input right. It takes time to get used to a wheel, but you showed it can be done in a short period of time. (Carl also did the same 👍)

On top of that: in Stage 3 you were a win in front of Jukka and I. I was suprised to see that we got another chance to challenge you for the D2 title.

A very very exciting and close encounter, and one that I am not at all disappointed or down about losing, although I am getting a little concerned with how many times I have come 2nd on this forum now :D (2nd Sixaxis champ, 2nd WRS D2 four times, 2nd overall WRS 44 - GTP_Bridesmaid anyone? :lol:) .
Makes me think of what Tom Coronel (well known Dutch racing driver) always used to say: "When you get five red lights at traffic lights in sequence, the next one must be green." I'm sure you'll win sometime very soon ;)

I also want to congratulate DanUltraMegaSuperHyperSpeed on his superb performance in the whole event and winning in the end. Well done mate 👍

At last but not least I'd like to say a big thank you to the guys that made this Event possible: Kevin, Jack and others thanks for your efforts. 👍

BTW. Don't know if I ever thanked everyone who was involved in organizing this event. A big thumbs up for all of you. Event though I was far from good this time around I still enjoyed it thoroughly and I'm looking forward to Event 04, be it in GT5P or GT5.

Thanks guys, for all the kind words. :D We're just about done with this event. 👍

I've sent a PM to Grevling and Mav3er1ck, just awaiting the outcome of their race, and then hopefully we can set up a final exhibition between the 3 division winners. 👍

Back