GTP_WRS-Online : General Discussion

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 777 comments
I'll post a pic of mine when I get chance, Speedy yours looks much more comfortable than how I'm seated in mine, your pedals are farther back than the wheel whereas mine are directly below the wheel, so you can stretch your legs more. WRP that's the kind of thing I'd love to have if I had a dedicated room for it to be in, I have to fight over the TV in the living room with the missus lol. Hasslemoff I've used the kitchen table a couple of times in the past and it feels much better with the wheel being higher and pedals farther away, can't be bothered moving it in and out all the time though.

I'll post a pic of mine when I get chance, Speedy yours looks much more comfortable than how I'm seated in mine, your pedals are farther back than the wheel whereas mine are directly below the wheel, so you can stretch your legs more. WRP that's the kind of thing I'd love to have if I had a dedicated room for it to be in, I have to fight over the TV in the living room with the missus lol. Hasslemoff I've used the kitchen table a couple of times in the past and it feels much better with the wheel being higher and pedals farther away, can't be bothered moving it in and out all the time though.

I had no hope of winning a battle over the TV in the living room with the "missus" so taking the "dedicated" room angle was much more profitable.

Sun Tzu
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.

Haha nice,

It's been better since having Virgin Media, she can record 3 things at once while I have the TV.

I've been Proselytizing the benefits of this possible future feature for months and I'm psyched that someone asked Kaz directly. From the news article on GTP:

Guitis77: How come, while in a race, the time gaps (differences) don’t show up for the car in front of you and behind you?
Yamauchi-san: If the public demands it, it can be implemented. The problem we have is that in the same screen (the racing display, as we call it), we have to put in a lot of information, too much information. That’s why at the beginning, we only saw it necessary to insert the times of the leading car, but hey, it’s something we’re always giving a go.​

This would really add a whole new level of excitement to online races. Hopefully now that they've built in the ability to turn things off in the HUD they can add this to the list of options. 👍

Not to mention the promise of more DLC. 👍

Yeah, that would be pretty neat. As it sits now, I find myself trying to make out on the HUD how big a gap is, and that can result in lapses in concentration and mistakes.

DLC, I say bring on Sonoma (Formerly Infineon, formerly Sears Point) Raceway. :D

EDK
Yeah, that would be pretty neat. As it sits now, I find myself trying to make out on the HUD how big a gap is, and that can result in lapses in concentration and mistakes.

DLC, I say bring on Sonoma (Formerly Infineon, formerly Sears Point) Raceway. :D

Plus using the HUD/map is so imprecise. When you are 2nd and battling with the leader the numbers are revealing. You now which sectors you are gaining or losing and also can make big picture plans regarding tires, pit strategy. As it is now you really can't do that battling for any position, but the lead.

This would be a game changer for guys that run in positions 3+ for most races... and when you think about it that's the majority of us for the majority of races. You've got to think it's a pretty simple change too if they can just decide where to put the information. I say just make it an option that you can easily toggle: choose between showing splits to leader, one position ahead or one position behind. It doesn't necessarily have to be all three at once... although that would be neat if they could figure out how to do all that.

How about a spotter function where they talk to you? OK, that's probably asking for too much. :lol:

Note: another easy/neat thing to do would be to have the leaders triangle on map be "green" or some different color. So you see your own triangle in red, leader in green and everyone else stock gray.

How about someway of signifying on the map what position each person is, maybe a circle with a number for place. I've found myself trying to figure out if the cars or two behind me are for position or lapped traffic, especially in the mixed class races.

Maybe instead of flashing gaps on the screen like currently done with the leader, we could get it on the leaderboard, with +x.xx for those ahead of you and -x.xx for those behind you on the right side of the drivers name. It could be updated by sector or by lap. Space and crowding of the screen are the biggest issues though.

Another minor thing I would like added to the previous lap times is P for a lap you pitted. I find my mind wandering and forgetting to calculate the lap the next pitstop. It would be simple, take up no real extra space on the screen, and help people like me when our minds wander and hour and 45 minutes into a race.

Oh, and while we're at it, let us(well Tim;)) set the ability to set race length by time plus pace lap.

Edit: I also want draft and dirty air significantly reduced for LMP's. Watching Le Man's, 6 Hour of the Glenn, etc you see very little draft passing amongst classes and you never see cars shooting off the track because they were withing two seconds of eachother. This may be me complaining because it always seems to get me.:D

Edit2: I'm turning this into my wishlist. I also want ability to turn on/off and adjust 3D in the in-race settings. The only thing keeping me from using it more often is having to go to the home screen then options if I want to turn it on/off mid session.

Last edited:
How about someway of signifying on the map what position each person is, maybe a circle with a number for place. I've found myself trying to figure out if the cars or two behind me are for position or lapped traffic, especially in the mixed class races.

Maybe instead of flashing gaps on the screen like currently done with the leader, we could get it on the leaderboard, with +x.xx for those ahead of you and -x.xx for those behind you on the right side of the drivers name. It could be updated by sector or by lap. Space and crowding of the screen are the biggest issues though.

Another minor thing I would like added to the previous lap times is P for a lap you pitted. I find my mind wandering and forgetting to calculate the lap the next pitstop. It would be simple, take up no real extra space on the screen, and help people like me when our minds wander and hour and 45 minutes into a race.

Oh, and while we're at it, let us(well Tim;)) set the ability to set race length by time plus pace lap.

Edit: I also want draft and dirty air significantly reduced for LMP's. Watching Le Man's, 6 Hour of the Glenn, etc you see very little draft passing amongst classes and you never see cars shooting off the track because they were withing two seconds of eachother. This may be me complaining because it always seems to get me.:D

So in spite of these shortcomings the enduros are still a lot of fun right? Well... I, for one, sure hope you sign up for our next one... see my signature. :sly:

PS> I like your idea to put +x.xxx/-x.xxx next to driver names on the leaderboard. 👍 We probably have to live with the draft and physics as they current stand until GT6, but I'm OK with that. It is what it is and even though it's not accurate to real life we all have to deal with the same thing.

So in spite of these shortcomings the enduros are still a lot of fun right? Well... I, for one, sure hope you sign up for our next one... see my signature. :sly:

PS> I like your idea to put +x.xxx/-x.xxx next to driver names on the leaderboard. 👍 We probably have to live with the draft and physics as they current stand until GT6, but I'm OK with that. It is what it is and even though it's not accurate to real life we all have to deal with the same thing.

Already signed up.:sly: And yes, your enduros are the best experience I've had with any GT game, and that is no exaggeration. Don't worry Tim, I don't hold those GT/PD shortcommings against the WRS/3D3 staff.;)

Pit crew need to get their bums in gear and get out the pit board..

cooper1.jpg

Hey fellow GTPers!
I was away on vacation and came home to find my basement flooded so I won't be joining you for a while. Can't wait 'til i'm back up and running, racing with you guys has been incredibly fun! :)
Any tips on how to get a g27 for cheap?

Btw some of your ideas on the HUD sound really good! The more info the better I say.

Hey fellow GTPers!
I was away on vacation and came home to find my basement flooded so I won't be joining you for a while. Can't wait 'til i'm back up and running, racing with you guys has been incredibly fun! :)
Any tips on how to get a g27 for cheap?

Btw some of your ideas on the HUD sound really good! The more info the better I say.

Fry's had them for US$ 199 a short while ago, but not sure what your options are for Canada. Amazon.ca has them for CDN$ 249.99 right now with free shipping. It's only $219 in US (not sure what the exchange rate is at the moment).

The T500 RS is a cool CDN$ 599.99 at the moment. :lol:

Fry's had them for US$ 199 a short while ago, but not sure what your options are for Canada. Amazon.ca has them for CDN$ 249.99 right now with free shipping. It's only $219 in US (not sure what the exchange rate is at the moment).

The T500 RS is a cool CDN$ 599.99 at the moment. :lol:

Haha I just got back from my vacation back home in Seattle and I went to Canada. No one really knows the exact exchange rate, and if you pay in US dollars some places charge you an extra 10 percent fee -_-

So I arrived in Ottawa yesterday where I'll be for the week. And what did I see parked in the street only a few doors away from my friend's place? That's right, an Audi R8! Silver with silver chrome. Too bad I didn't bring my camera...

Possibly, possibly. There's some other pretty cars there; I had no idea there was a Group C Lancia, for one thing.

Figured since we had the data I'd publish some participation stats. We'll keep adjusting these numbers until we hit the one year anniversary when they'll be etched in stone for the first year. :sly:

driverparticipation_20110726.png

We've still got roughly 13 events (6 weeks + 1 special event) before the one year mark so quite a few of you have a chance to make or drop off this list. :lol:

Last edited:
Where am I sitting? Do special event support races count in participation? Got to make the list.;)

Where am I sitting? Do special event support races count in participation? Got to make the list.;)

Scott, yes special events count and you're at 9 total events (EU=2, NA=3, SPE=4) :
Code:
NA	Tsukuba 500 Sprints
NA	Rock the KazSpa
SE	Spa - Multi Class - Enduro
SE	Laguna - Multi Class - Enduro
SE	World Tour - Stop 1
SE	World Tour - Overall
EU	Tokyo Two Step
EU	Twin Ring Twin Ring Motegi
NA	Twin Ring Twin Ring Motegi

I'm estimating you need to get to 16 (so make 7 of the remaining 13 events) to make the cutoff so it's possible, but you have your work cut out for you! :lol:

By the way, I've updated the online driver database (division and handicaps) just now so when you register your names will light up in different colors if you got promoted and your order will change on the list based on division/handicap. 👍

As we close in on week 52, there's a bit of movement on the year 1 driver participation table:

driverparticipation_20110806.png

Movers:
  • Speedy moves into a 2nd place tie with Hydro
  • Jtv moves ahead of MadMax to take over 4th

Drivers on the bubble (16 should get you on the top 25):
  • Litchi and CSL with 13
  • otxjto with 12
  • Racingworld and mcfizzle with 11

Made an addition to the wins by driver table in the historical results thread showing the total # of events and win/podium percentage:

With two wins yesterday and only 4 events remaining in year 1, Wes has a commanding lead for the year 1 wins title although Twissy has just enough weeks remaining to pass Wes for the EU wins title. He'll have to go 4 for 4 though. :sly:

Notice: We are not going to attempt a 15 car grids moving forward in our weekly events after the technical issues last week. And 16 seems completely impossible since the lounge reports full and denies entry after 15 drivers are present. If there are 15 or more confirmed drivers we are going to split into two rooms from the start [details on how we'll split below and TBD]. Special events may/will have their own limits.

It's important that you confirm for the race [if you are going to make it] at least one hour prior to the race if you want a guaranteed spot.

We are going to "freeze" registration changes one hour prior to each event. We'll decide at that point exactly how we are going to arrange the event based on the # of confirmed drivers:
  • <=11: A single mic-enabled lounge (Main), max # of drivers = 12
  • 12-14: A single mic-disabled lounge (A), max # of drivers = 14
  • 15+: Two mic-enabled lounges (Main and B). Lounge assignments posted to thread and assignment formula TBD.

Note that if we have 10 confirmed drivers and a long list of reserves we may opt to go mic-disabled and enable the limit of 14 drivers. In any case we'll post the scenario we've chose when we open the pre-race lounge.

Confirmed drivers are *always* guaranteed a spot in the race if they show up on time (5 minutes prior to the start). Reserves are not guaranteed a spot in all scenarios, but when spots are available up to the max listed for the chosen scenario, the spots will be awarded on a first come, first serve basis. Drivers not on the registration list at all (last minute drop-ins) are welcome assuming spots are open after reserves (lowest priority).

Confirmed drivers that are not in the lounge 5 minutes prior to the event start time will forfeit their guaranteed spot (unless they notify an admin/steward that they are on the way via the thread) and an extra reserve spot will open up and be announced on the thread. Abuse of the confirmed status (a no show) could result in a penalty of "start in the back" in a future event. If you are confirmed and can't make it due to an emergency, post to the thread if at all possible. Emergencies happen and we'll deal with those on a case by case basis. If your attendance is in doubt use the reserve status.

Reserves can join the main pre-race lounge in scenario 1 or 2. They will be asked to exit when/if we hit the driver limit. The order the reserves enter the lounge will determine who will be asked to exit first to make room for confirmed drivers. This way if a confirmed drivers is a no show the reserves are set up and ready to take their spots without delay.

One of the goals of this formula is we want to avoid lounge shuffling at the last minute as that tends to increase the probability of technical issues and very late starts to events. The decision about which lounges to use (mic-enabled/disabled or multiple) need to be made early so drivers go to the appropriate lounge first. The online system works best when drivers "trickle" into the rooms over time in the hour leading up to a race. Based on our experience when a bunch of drivers join at the same time (e.g. when we switch lounges) we get invisible drivers, lack of tire noise, etc. which spoils the experience for everyone.

Hopefully we can grow these grids to 20+ confirmed drivers and then we'll be in the two lounge scenario and all drivers including reserves will always have open spots to race.

We'll tweak the above as needed based on game updates, network improvements and additional experience etc. It's not set in stone forever and our primary goal is to ensure that we provide the best online racing experience possible within the limits of the game and it's idiosyncrasies.

We're discussing the lounge assignment formula in the case of a split grid and will try out a few different approaches. Our goal will be to make it fair and balanced. More details to follow, but some options include:
  • Holding live pre-race qualification in both lounges and the fastest quali times across both lounges race in Main
  • Splitting based on division/handicap
  • Split by alternating A/B based on handicap
  • Holding pre-qualification and fastest race in main
  • Random draw

Also when we split we are discussing these options for determine driver counts in each lounge:
  • Split field in half between lounges (odd driver goes to main)
  • Minimum number of drivers in B, remaining in Main
    • B gets 6-7 drivers depending on track size (small=6, large = 7)
    • Main has remaining 8-12
    • Once Main hits 12 we start adding to B until and even split

We're actually very happy to have full grids after the summer lull of June and July and this is a very good problem to have. If only, GT5 supported grids of 24+ we'd be in heaven, but in the meantime we'll do the best we can to accommodate as many drivers as possible with a fair and balanced system. Here's to working to recruit and expand our group a little further so we can be in the 20+ scenario on a regular basis and have two solid rooms with room for reserves. Invite your friends and recruit to help us out. :sly:

As always, feedback welcome.

:) Awsome, I did not even know there was a 'driver participation ranking'. As long as I am not grabbing any podiumplaces, maybe this should be the ranking for me to concentrate on.

I'm thinking about joining but do I have to make a new account? I have over 700 cars on my regular account and have completed the SLS AMG Challenge on there, although I think I only saved a few of the events.

I'm thinking about joining but do I have to make a new account? I have over 700 cars on my regular account and have completed the SLS AMG Challenge on there, although I think I only saved a few of the events.

You must have a GTP_Tag account to race with us.

We make it easy to earn extra cash.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=236174

Have a look at these couple of threads to see how to join.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=180298

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=153734

Thank you to Daniel (segovia/aspecbob) and Rob (robiker) for contributing to the 3D3 Racing community garage project. 👍 I've also been gobbling up any car that shows up in the OCD for the last couple months (for future use) so we have a decent array of cars already. If any of you want to see what cars we currently have in the garage use this link:

GTP_3D3Racing Garage

We also have all the level tickets, special car gift tickets and year tickets from 1966 to 1989.

The purpose of the project is allow us to run events with cars that are not necessarily tied to the OCD or to enable drivers to get cars with the tickets that are expensive or hard to obtain (like the $20M Dream Cars).

If you donate something to the garage that we don't already have feel free to request one of the trade-able cars on the list and we'll send something back to you. A community resource this be.

At some point maybe we'll start a thread dedicated to this garage, but for now just post here if you have any comments or suggestions.

Note: The non paint-able cars that come in different liveries (list) are especially appreciated as we can distribute them prior to any online event and get a varied looking field. We are still looking for the Silver Clio Renault Sport Trophy Race Car '00 for example.

Back