GTP_WRS-Online : Suggestions Box

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 188 comments
If you ran the AEM S2000 with tuning restricted, I'll bet it was tricky since it's tuned for drifting. It's much better with the fully adjustable suspension.

Don't get me wrong, we all would love to run multiple cars in the same class / regs. It's just that there is no real way to even up similar cars in a timely (and ultimately non-frustrating way). PP, power to weight ratios, etc. just aren't accurate enough indicators of how even cars will really be. Sometimes they are way off, lap time wise, and it takes a lot of testing to fix the inequalities.
It can work for series where cars have different advantages/disadvantages at certain tracks so that over the course of a 'season' the cars sort of balance out, but for single race events it's unfortunately not worth the effort at this point.

Could be an interesting twist to have a multi-stop event with those cars. Kind of like the WRS World Tour with a twist.

Drivers have to use 4 different cars in the mini-series and can pick which car they use at each circuit. For it to work well each car would have to be "relatively close" but wouldn't have to be as close as they would if all cars had to be equalized for a single event/track.

Would be interesting to require specification of car choices via google forms before the event and keep those choices secret until the close of registration so you couldn't base your choice on someone else.

Could be an interesting twist to have a multi-stop event with those cars. Kind of like the WRS World Tour with a twist.

Drivers have to use 4 different cars in the mini-series and can pick which car they use at each circuit. For it to work well each car would have to be "relatively close" but wouldn't have to be as close as they would if all cars had to be equalized for a single event/track.

Would be interesting to require specification of car choices via google forms before the event and keep those choices secret until the close of registration so you couldn't base your choice on someone else.

I like this idea very much, Tim 👍

robiker
How about tuner cars?
I've found five that match up pretty closely.

AEM S2000
Amuse S2000 GT1
Blitz ER34 D1 '04
HKS Genki Hyper Silvia
Mazda BP Falken RX-7

These cars all get up to 20/50 aero and could run at 502 hp, 1180 kg.
The Blitz and HKS need more tuning than the others to make them handle well and get even tire wear. I did lap times within .7 seconds with all the cars at Nurb GP/F.

How are the cars balanced at other circuits? If we could get them in the same range at 3-4 tracks there would be potential there. 👍

PS. What's clear is that for the foreseeable future we are not up for car equalization projects. Just too much time involved that we can't spare. However, if presented with a idea that gets around that work it's more attractive.

Count me in 👍

How are the cars balanced at other circuits? If we could get them in the same range at 3-4 tracks there would be potential there. 👍

PS. What's clear is that for the foreseeable future we are not up for car equalization projects. Just too much time involved that we can't spare. However, if presented with a idea that gets around that work it's more attractive.

I haven't tested them at any other tracks. I chose Nurburgring GP/F because it has a good mix of long and short straights and fast and slow turns and I can do consistent lap times there.
It was a few months ago when I did that testing and I didn't save any setups or other data, but if you want to suggest other tracks to test at, I'll do some more testing.

I've been a part of these types of events at LANs before (Pick and Mix Format).

They usually come off the best if each track suits a couple of the cars better than others. It leaves everyone with the opportunity to compete for a win, and makes for some fun racing overall, where a combination of car selection for the track and driver skill are factors.

IMO, the best way to do something like this would be to disallow tuning, and to have a set of 8-10 tracks published in advance, with a random draw for the actual tracks selected on the day of the event. The surprise track selection adds to the on the fly strategy of matching cars to tracks, especially if you don't know exactly which tracks are going to be used.

EDK
I've been a part of these types of events at LANs before (Pick and Mix Format).

They usually come off the best if each track suits a couple of the cars better than others. It leaves everyone with the opportunity to compete for a win, and makes for some fun racing overall, where a combination of car selection for the track and driver skill are factors.

IMO, the best way to do something like this would be to disallow tuning, and to have a set of 8-10 tracks published in advance, with a random draw for the actual tracks selected on the day of the event. The surprise track selection adds to the on the fly strategy of matching cars to tracks, especially if you don't know exactly which tracks are going to be used.

Count me in again 👍 :drool:

Suggestion for this week's combo: How about racing the RM cappuccino at Autumn Ring ?
If you hadn't noticed already, we're almost always using the combo from the last WRS TT for our normal races on wednesdays.

This week could be an exception, but we're still discussing whether the Daihatsu Copen at Autumn Ring Mini Reverse is a good combo for online racing. Right now it's looking like it will be, but with a different format than we normally use for our races.

I'll keep your suggestion in mind though.:)

Yah, I've never really driven the RM Cappuccino and would love to use it for a future event. Suggestion noted here also. I don't want them to use this as a replacement for the Copen since I'm going to miss it. :lol:

I was wondering if that could be an exception, because an hour long race on autumn ring mini driving a kei car in third gear could be a bit long, but that's just my opinion. Either way I'll participate :lol:

I'm going to guess it'll be short races like we've done in the past with the smaller tracks, we'll know soon enough.

Hey guys,would it be an idea to use the 3d3a and b lounge for some kind of 'meet&greet' space,for occaisional racing?
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who is searching a nice lobby in the week-ends for some nice relaxed races.
1 lobby could be used for an old WRS combo,and the other one for shuffle races.
Short races (10 to 15 laps) with stock cars.
All just examples....
But in this case you are sure in advance you'll be racing against the most fair guys among the planet :)
And with last week's Academy in the back of my mind,it could become some kind of driving school allso.
Just an idea,was not sure where to post it,my apologies if I'm in the wrong spot!

Hey guys,would it be an idea to use the 3d3a and b lounge for some kind of 'meet&greet' space,for occaisional racing?
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who is searching a nice lobby in the week-ends for some nice relaxed races.
1 lobby could be used for an old WRS combo,and the other one for shuffle races.
Short races (10 to 15 laps) with stock cars.
All just examples....
But in this case you are sure in advance you'll be racing against the most fair guys among the planet :)
And with last week's Academy in the back of my mind,it could become some kind of driving school allso.
Just an idea,was not sure where to post it,my apologies if I'm in the wrong spot!

I like this idea very much. Before I joined the WRS the only fun races online were always shuffle races with stock cars. So much fun :)
I would be in for in.

You guys are always welcome to post and start a race of your choice in the Lounges so I'm OK with this. If you can recruit people and get sufficient numbers is the question.

We could start a self service spot race thread. We would only ask that no spot races be scheduled that overlap with a sanctioned/official event including academy and Saturday attack races so we don't cannibalize on those events. Otherwise I say go for it. The more racing the better.

Curious what the interest level would be. If its high enough we could even build a google scheduler so you could use a form to set up a self serve spot race with date/time/combo and it could add to a schedule in the op. but first it could just be organized by communicating in thread until demand shows its of interest.

As I see it these are driver organized events so its up to you guys to just take the ball and run with it.

You guys are always welcome to post and start a race of your choice in the Lounges so I'm OK with this. If you can recruit people and get sufficient numbers is the question.

We could start a self service spot race thread. We would only ask that no spot races be scheduled that overlap with a sanctioned/official event including academy and Saturday attack races so we don't cannibalize on those events. Otherwise I say go for it. The more racing the better.

Curious what the interest level would be. If its high enough we could even build a google scheduler so you could use a form to set up a self serve spot race with date/time/combo and it could add to a schedule in the op. but first it could just be organized by communicating in thread until demand shows its of interest.

As I see it these are driver organized events so its up to you guys to just take the ball and run with it.

It has no intention of 'stealing away' participants from scheduled races.
But some scheduled races demand loads of time due to preparation,tuning/testing and that kind of stuff.At least in my opinion.
And we're not all tuning wizards :lol:
Maybe it's possible to make 2 seperate threads,1 for the a,and 1 for the b lounge,so in case someone has the intention for some racing,he can post 'last minute' ,or just check the thread what's going on at that particular moment.

Last edited:

In Speedys saturday attack race thread you are able to organise a weekend race in there.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=265920

Welcome to the Weekend Thread!

This thread will be used mainly to organize the 'Saturday Attack' races.

Also, if you want to race during the weekend in a clean and respectful manner with some WRS members, you are free to post and organize in this thread. Just keep in mind that the Main Lounge will always be reserved for the Saturday Races mentioned above.

Maybe have a thread title WRS comunity racing lounge, using lounge A or B were people are able to organise spot races, or just short PP, Shuffle races and So on, instead of a spot race thread.

I'd be interested as often on Sunday night, my main night when I can get on GT5 I find myself taking half an hour just to find a half decent room.

Just a wild idea running trough my head ;

We could make a kind of series, that apears a few time through out the year, based on the RL 'Blancpain Endurance Series' This is a new series (maiden year was last year) and is a hughe succes among top constuctors. All is based on GT3 cars, who run races of 3 hours on various tracks (Monza, Nurnburgring) and the higlight in the middle of the season : Total 24hrs of Spa-Francorchamps. By using 'the balance of preformance' you could choose among a big variety of GT3 cars as Audi R8, Mercedes SLS, Mp4-12c,Porsche, Chevrolet Camaro, 458 Italia, BMW Z4.....

We could all choose a car and team up, for 3 events, being the rl tracks wich are in GT5. Instead of running the full length we could do a 1.5 hour race on Monza and Nurnburg, and a 4 or 6 hours simulated 24hrs race in Spa.

Ofcourse this is a rough idea, any sugestions to finetune would be nice, if there is interest ofcourse....for those who are 'catching my drift'....here is the real life link, enjoy

http://www.blancpain-endurance-series.com/

Me, and 2 fellow GT wackoes have been training for le mans 24 for some time, with the intention of running an online le mans 24 in the near future. Of cause driving 24 hours requires that you are 3 drivers to take turns, but maybe a monthly/2nd-week endurance league with GT3 cars could be quite popular. I'm definately in!

This may have come up in the background, but I'll put it out there in case it hasn't.

How about having weather changeability enabled for the Spa race? Running with Sports Soft tires means there is only one tire choice for all weathers, so everyone will have the same advantage/disadvantage in all weather conditions. It will add an interesting dynamic as to who can drive best in variable conditions, managing risk with speed. We could start at 100%, and let the PD weather gods decide how it's going to play out.

With the World Cup still fresh in my mind and thinking back about some kind of mentoring event that was mentioned a few months back, I was thinking it would be great to have a special event in almost the same format as the World Cup, but where teams would have to be balanced in relation to handicaps.

There could be a couple of ways to approach this. One would be through average handicap for the team (must be within a certain narrow range), another would be one racer per certain handicap bracket, etc.

With the World Cup still fresh in my mind and thinking back about some kind of mentoring event that was mentioned a few months back, I was thinking it would be great to have a special event in almost the same format as the World Cup, but where teams would have to be balanced in relation to handicaps.

There could be a couple of ways to approach this. One would be through average handicap for the team (must be within a certain narrow range), another would be one racer per certain handicap bracket, etc.

Might have to drop region-based requirements to achieve that.

The team events take a lot of coordination. I"m not signing up to that again for a while... that I can tell you for sure. I spent endless hours chasing people around making sure they were still taking part and begging people to coordinate with their teams ahead of time... with little success honestly. The general reaction was "whatever" and no much action -- there were exceptions. There were also a set that completely ignored me and didn't bother to show up or update their registration.

If this happens again team captains will need to agree to take that job moving forward from the event director. For a team to get in the captain at least must commit to managing their teams and reporting to the event director regularly.

I would say in terms of individual events this coordination was 5x the effort. I'll commit to a rerun at 250 weeks of 3d3 racing. :lol:

Yes, Tim, delegate, delegate, delegate! :)

In my suggestion, I didn't mean to imply that it would still be region-based. International teams would be great, actually.

Yes, Tim, delegate, delegate, delegate! :)

In my suggestion, I didn't mean to imply that it would still be region-based. International teams would be great, actually.

👍

I go back and forth on it... The Team USA sub-divisions for this World Cup we thought about making them even handicap-wise and then realized... how are we going to work together during a race if we are completely different speeds on track? Members of the team will start at opposite ends of the grid and never really see each other on track. So we decided to split Team USA based on qualifying time, started right next to each other on the grid and the results... well... are history (or maybe lore is a better word :lol:). :dopey:

I know it's still early, but I just had this idea for a special event, or a series of them, actually. Something like a "RUF cup". A series of short races over a weekend, or longer races spread out over a few weeks, where we would race every (or almost every?) model of RUF available in the game, each one in turn at a different track. Also, it could be a TVR cup instead, or whatever else we might fancy. If we opt for shorter races over a weekend, we could even have several of them for different makes.

I know it's still early, but I just had this idea for a special event, or a series of them, actually. Something like a "RUF cup". A series of short races over a weekend, or longer races spread out over a few weeks, where we would race every (or almost every?) model of RUF available in the game, each one in turn at a different track. Also, it could be a TVR cup instead, or whatever else we might fancy. If we opt for shorter races over a weekend, we could even have several of them for different makes.
Honda Fit Cup it is.

One race, on each variation of track until all have been run. Until then, no other events happen. :sly:

Back