GTS vs GT6 - Cars comparison

• Thread starter emula
  • 1,346 comments
I think you can improve the realism by adding somme grasses in front of the wheels:

1552238949-5405405.jpg

But I noticed something strange with the Scapes mode, the background seems always to "grey" compared to the car. So what I usually do, is to play with the contrast of both, the background and the car, to find the best match!

very good work with the grass 👍

It isn't a new approach, HDRi spherical maps have been used for ages. In Forza 4 for example back in 2011.

I didn't phrase it correctly, I meant to say it was new to the series, but I was aware that this technology was a thing already, and considering this
I'd say letting the cars driving through the space along with lighting parts of the scene as a new approach.
one could argue that PD's approach to that technology is superior to whatever we've seen so far in a consumer scale.

Interesting how different the Renault headlights and tail lights are between the games.

The one in Driveclub is a concept car? Also, it has road tires. =)

The polyphony have to copy-paste the carbon fiber texture of the Pagani huayra on all the other cars that use carbon fiber, in particular on the KTM X-BOW that looks very bad. Even the carbon fiber inside the Renault Sport R.S.01 '16 cockpit doesn't look very good
They won't touch these models again for at least the next 10 years.

While the model is higher quality in GTS, DC has a better lighting solution, with real time AO, Screen Space Reflections and generally a more consistent look, the GTS model kinda sticks out and looks out of place in the Scape image, and completely missing any self-shadowing making it appear flat. It reminds me of Forza 5 quite a bit in Forzavista.
07be3a386abe203d4f13cf0e6c727c1f.jpg

351161b3207eb15d0178017ea4d9adb3.jpg

SSAO generally has a very unrealistic look. I think you're looking for evidence of SSAO, rather than good, realistic shadowing - GT Sport is pretty good on the whole. The lack of hard shadows is because of the more diffuse (image based!) lighting in GT's case.
Some comparisons here: http://theorangeduck.com/media/uploads/other_stuff/nnao.pdf

DC's Screen Space Reflections are nice, though.

Also, GT4 already had image-based lighting and was also, in photomode, reasonably "H"DR for its time using tricks; the PS3 games were properly HDR and the texture formats were chosen accordingly, including the reflection maps (and, hence, image based lighting).

The shadow issue in the scapes is due to the way the scapes themselves are constructed, and how they are interpreted / represented in the pseudo-3D scene that they are composited into with the car. They are not just flat images, that's why they're so large. There are other errors with scale and exposure / colour matching as well at times. The cars sit much nicer in the proper 3D scenes, e.g. tracks, garage etc.

Toyota Sprinter Trueno 3door 1600GT APEX (AE86) '83

First semi-premium Vs super-premium comparison

02wpj9n.jpg

03oskrh.jpg

04nvkik.jpg

05fwjcm.jpg

143djdc.jpg

15fvjtj.jpg

24j6k0o.jpg

2580jwf.jpg

26dvkd2.jpg

27eijks.jpg

4292jpr.jpg

43xyjt4.jpg

Full gallery https://granturismo.forumfree.it/?t=76603984

Notice that the GT6 Model is, "Semi-premium" enhanced standard.

The GT5 model would be an entirely "Standard".

Would be cool if you could get the GT5 model in the comparison too, awesome work as usual! 👍

Notice that the GT6 Model is, "Semi-premium" enhanced standard.

The GT5 model would be an entirely "Standard".

Would be cool if you could get the GT5 model in the comparison too, awesome work as usual! 👍

Unfortunately in GT5 isn't possible take close photos of the standard cars, however I have this old comparison made years ago by a GTplanet user

sprinter-00_v0217ojoz.png

What about Shuichi Shigeno's AE86, even if it's just a close render? Now that would be cool.

In GT6 the Shuichi Shigeno's AE86 is the same model with black bonnet and different rims

AE86
toyota_sprinter_trueno_gt_apex__ae86___83_by_gt6_garage_d7269rb-fullview.jpg

Shuichi Shigeno's AE86
toyota_sprinter_trueno_gt_apex__ae86_shuichi_sh____by_gt6_garage_d726a1x-fullview.jpg

Last edited:
Back