Have a guitar? Why not show us!Music 

• Thread starter TVRKing
  • 976 comments
Quick question regarding cleaning. I've decided to change my strings on my Les Paul, and the tie has come to clean the thing, but mainly the fretboard. I usually just wipe it down with some paper towels, but is there anything else I can do for it? I keep seeing recommendations for lemon oil, which I doubt I have any at the moment. Just looking for a few more opinions.

Will post pics when I'm done. Been meaning to post in here for ages.

Lemon oil works the best.

So here is my room currently.

20170303_161827.jpg

20170303_161908.jpg

There would be a purple Makala ukulele beside the amp, but it is currently at school.

Haven't posted in here for quite a while, and hell to be honest I've been out of guitar playing for about 2 years, barely playing. But got back into it this year and ordered one of these limited re-issues of the 1987 Jem 777s.

21609642718_1e162a821c_o1-1-750x400.jpg

Super excited about it, though waiting until June/July before I see it, which is ballbreaking a bit.

Nice, do you know what dimarzio pickup it is? At a distance it looks a bit like an Evolution. Colour scheme works well.

Can't recall off the top of my head I'm afraid, but an Evolution sounds similar!

My guitar stuff..

I had a budget of £500 for a guitar and Amp originally, and bought the Epiphone Les Paul (£200) plus the Marshall Amp (£300) which seemed a good mix.
After a few months I was really getting into it and bought the Cry Baby but still had that "new gear needed" itch so searched high and low before deciding on the Steve Vai signature JEM for a little over £400. I also went for the Boss GT-1 effects rack for extra pizzazz and fun.

I have to admit that I always thought the Les Paul was amazing, but since buying the Ibanez I rarely touch the Epiphone; feels cheap and plastic in comparison.
The JEM is absolutely amazing. Most of my playing is just loading up backing tracks and blazing away in various styles and keys with a daft grin on my face.
I love it :D

That Marshall Amp ain't too shabby either :sly:

Ibanez.jpg
Les Paul.jpg
Amp.jpg
Pedals.jpg

@RikkiGT-R I see you are using the Boss GT-1 multi effect. Can you tell me if it can be used without an amplifier? I am looking for a pedal in which I can simply hook up my guitar and headphones without additional amps needed.

@RikkiGT-R I see you are using the Boss GT-1 multi effect. Can you tell me if it can be used without an amplifier? I am looking for a pedal in which I can simply hook up my guitar and headphones without additional amps needed.

If you can wait until later today I will try it out and confirm for you either way. My toddler is terrified of the guitar and is running around here so when I get the chance I'll hook it up without an amp and see if headphones are all you need.

If you can wait until later today I will try it out and confirm for you either way. My toddler is terrified of the guitar and is running around here so when I get the chance I'll hook it up without an amp and see if headphones are all you need.

No problem! Thank you very much for willing to try it out 👍

Some cool guitars here.

Here's a pic of mine. 2010 Les Paul studio. It's very light but sounds and plays good. Plus it's pretty.

gibosn1.jpg

I do love it but sometimes is goes out of tune way to easily, g and b string especially. I hear it's a known problem on LP's, due to the nut and headstock angle and whatnot. I will get it sorted but you kind of expect better, i guess.

But every time I put new strings on and sort the intonation it's love all over again :D

OK, tested out and was able to play without the amp. There is a lot of noise/electrical hum which was exactly the same even when I disconnected the guitar so I'm not sure if it was the headphones or the actual pedal set.
Was using various effects and all sounded cool.

In short; you can, but there may be unwanted noise.

With the news of Gibson on the brink of bankruptcy I jumped at the opportunity to have this 2018 Gibson Explorer Antique Natural:

It's an absolute beauty to play and a polar opposite to my Rickenbacker. I'm a little bit in love.

I play guitar due to seeing photos and video of Edge playing his explorer so it's quite surreal to own one myself now too.

How dare you post a picture without the purple Makala ukelele. :irked:

Ukeleles aren't dime-a-dozen in this thread you know. You can, however, make it up by providing an extensive photoshoot of the purple Makala - front, back, and sides. :dopey:
Tomorrow, your wish will come true! As well as my new Taylor GS Mini... :)

Tomorrow, your wish will come true! As well as my new Taylor GS Mini... :)

👍

Had several ukes in my time - but they're all history now and I regret not holding on to them.
Had a great jam in the basement of my friend's home last night - we were slamming away till 4.00 AM. I did bang away at several guitars during the night but ended up on drums halfway through; all the guys were hogging the guitars since my buddy had got a new digital mixer the size of a fridge and was trying it out.

Haven't posted in here for quite a while, and hell to be honest I've been out of guitar playing for about 2 years, barely playing. But got back into it this year and ordered one of these limited re-issues of the 1987 Jem 777s.

21609642718_1e162a821c_o1-1-750x400.jpg

Super excited about it, though waiting until June/July before I see it, which is ballbreaking a bit.

Same here - very little time to play and the guitars are collecting dust.
I was asked to bring my 12-string Yam along to the jam and boy was I shocked at the dust on it - this because my axes are left uncovered. Looks like a cue for me to invest in some cases.

Edit: added - it looked so bad I had to grab a visual quick (no end to the pictures I take) while a voice in my head was shrieking 'Nnoooooooohh!'
And other things like: 'My pore babeeee….'

yamdust_zpsm8wbcpsm.jpg

Last edited:
👍

Had several ukes in my time - but they're all history now and I regret not holding on to them.
Had a great jam in the basement of my friend's home last night - we were slamming away till 4.00 AM. I did bang away at several guitars during the night but ended up on drums halfway through; all the guys were hogging the guitars since my buddy had got a new digital mixer the size of a fridge and was trying it out.
I've always wanted to play drums, never had a set or anything so I resort to the table and my legs at lunch or the steering wheel in the car... you get it. :lol:

A day late but not a dollar short...

20180325_142026.jpg
20180325_141858.jpg
20180325_141744.jpg
20180325_142006.jpg
20180325_142026.jpg
20180325_142113.jpg
20180325_142042.jpg

I have this 12 String which is a little beat up. Wanted to through some string on just for the heck of it since I don't have a playable 12 String. The bridge seems sturdy-ish. The white piece the strings hump over (saddle?) is a tad loose. The bridge screws (technically holds the saddle in...? Saddle screws?) Are two different screws and neither of them are really holding anything in place nor will they screw all the way into the wood for a hold. Basically they are only keeping the saddle slightly snug. I think it might hold itself in place with the tension of the strings. :lol:

20180326_111635.jpg
20180326_111722.jpg
20180326_111956.jpg
20180326_111749.jpg
20180326_111805.jpg
20180326_111923.jpg
20180326_111902.jpg
20180326_111848.jpg

Attachments

• 20180326_111635.jpg
    20180326_111635.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
@kolio
Phew!
The purple Makala turned out to be a friendly dolphin instead of a deadly species of spider.

All kidding aside - thank you for taking the trouble (and time) to make such a post. So much to look at and comment on - but for a start - about the drums:
Over here in the suburbs of Toronto it seems fashionable (if not actually status quo) to have a basement equipped with a drum set in one corner of the room and a wet bar at the other end. Some, though, tend to take this more seriously and end up with miles of patch cord.
Those who have been there will know what I mean.
So we gather often - and it may be the same people but in someone else's home - and all it takes is one person to lift an instrument and suddenly it turns into a studio session.
I like playing drums - have been doing so since around ten, so whenever the drummers that are usually fighting to play drums desert the set to go show off on some other instrument I'm forced to give up playing rhythm (or flute or trumpet or harmonica or some other instrument I might be playing) and end up on drums.
This particular friend of mine is so serious about music he has a collection of drums from various parts of the word - bongos, congas, tom-toms, tablas, dholas . . drums with names that sound like drum beats themselves.
I won't be surprised to walk down one day and see a pair of tympani.
But 'drums' is the best thing if you're just chilling out on the music and taking off on what the rest of your pals are doing.
I can't do it for more than an hour or so, though - I get itchy fingered and want to start plucking stuff. Or blowing stuff.

And talking about plucking stuff - how I'd like to get my hands on that uke - sounds like it can make a lot of noise. My early days with a uke began around eight or nine - and then several years of living with it till the 'big' guitars came into my life and I could call one of them my own.

The 12-stringer shouldn't be put to waste.
To start - get a set of XL strings - .009 -.45 and string it up. That guitar (just from the pics) sings to me - it's been around the block and picked up some good vibes. You don't have to tune it to pitch - even a few notes lower would be alright - put some pressure on that bridge and saddle and check how firm the nut is after you've placed some stress on it for awhile.
This might not be an overnight job, but recovering that 12-stringer will be well worth it believe me - nothing like a 12-stringer in full chorus like a choir of angels when you get it going.
Actually . . . it's all the backing orchestra a lead uke might need. :dopey:

@kolio
Phew!
The purple Makala turned out to be a friendly dolphin instead of a deadly species of spider.

All kidding aside - thank you for taking the trouble (and time) to make such a post. So much to look at and comment on - but for a start - about the drums:
Over here in the suburbs of Toronto it seems fashionable (if not actually status quo) to have a basement equipped with a drum set in one corner of the room and a wet bar at the other end. Some, though, tend to take this more seriously and end up with miles of patch cord.
Those who have been there will know what I mean.
So we gather often - and it may be the same people but in someone else's home - and all it takes is one person to lift an instrument and suddenly it turns into a studio session.
I like playing drums - have been doing so since around ten, so whenever the drummers that are usually fighting to play drums desert the set to go show off on some other instrument I'm forced to give up playing rhythm (or flute or trumpet or harmonica or some other instrument I might be playing) and end up on drums.
This particular friend of mine is so serious about music he has a collection of drums from various parts of the word - bongos, congas, tom-toms, tablas, dholas . . drums with names that sound like drum beats themselves.
I won't be surprised to walk down one day and see a pair of tympani.
But 'drums' is the best thing if you're just chilling out on the music and taking off on what the rest of your pals are doing.
I can't do it for more than an hour or so, though - I get itchy fingered and want to start plucking stuff. Or blowing stuff.

And talking about plucking stuff - how I'd like to get my hands on that uke - sounds like it can make a lot of noise. My early days with a uke began around eight or nine - and then several years of living with it till the 'big' guitars came into my life and I could call one of them my own.

The 12-stringer shouldn't be put to waste.
To start - get a set of XL strings - .009 -.45 and string it up. That guitar (just from the pics) sings to me - it's been around the block and picked up some good vibes. You don't have to tune it to pitch - even a few notes lower would be alright - put some pressure on that bridge and saddle and check how firm the nut is after you've placed some stress on it for awhile.
This might not be an overnight job, but recovering that 12-stringer will be well worth it believe me - nothing like a 12-stringer in full chorus like a choir of angels when you get it going.
Actually . . . it's all the backing orchestra a lead uke might need. :dopey:
I like to think of percussion as syllables, and various parts of music as words. Put some words together and you have a sentence. Sentences turn into short stories, or novels depending on the artist. Not all hits are percussion dependent, but modern music in general is percussion dominant. It truly amazes me, the power of percussion. Wether it's maracas or somebody stomping on a briefcase. Every human I know picks up this pattern in the background of their favorite songs and want to tap, clap, air drum or bob their head.

Guitar started out for me in 6th grade I think. 6th grade Christmas. It was the Squire my dad got me along with a Wal-Mart amp. I couldn't do much for several months. I mostly played simple short melodies often on one or two strings three at most. Learning standard open chords proved difficult, but in the end I'm more of strummer now than a picker. I mostly just play rhythm and sing along as if I was around a campfire. :)

I got into the uke my senior year of high school in 2014. Ive got a Fender and the Makala. Love them to death. Great for an interesting sound and variation of "normal" songs.

And you sir have definitely tipped me over the top on this 12 String. I bought some strings for it when I bought my new Taylor. Problem is I suppose i bought the wrong strings (thanks misleading guitar center employee...) but hey now I have a 6 string set for a rainy day. Do you have any reccomendations for strings? Asides from the sizes you gave me.

I like to think of percussion as syllables, and various parts of music as words. Put some words together and you have a sentence. Sentences turn into short stories, or novels depending on the artist. Not all hits are percussion dependent, but modern music in general is percussion dominant. It truly amazes me, the power of percussion. Wether it's maracas or somebody stomping on a briefcase. Every human I know picks up this pattern in the background of their favorite songs and want to tap, clap, air drum or bob their head.

Guitar started out for me in 6th grade I think. 6th grade Christmas. It was the Squire my dad got me along with a Wal-Mart amp. I couldn't do much for several months. I mostly played simple short melodies often on one or two strings three at most. Learning standard open chords proved difficult, but in the end I'm more of strummer now than a picker. I mostly just play rhythm and sing along as if I was around a campfire. :)

I got into the uke my senior year of high school in 2014. Ive got a Fender and the Makala. Love them to death. Great for an interesting sound and variation of "normal" songs.

And you sir have definitely tipped me over the top on this 12 String. I bought some strings for it when I bought my new Taylor. Problem is I suppose i bought the wrong strings (thanks misleading guitar center employee...) but hey now I have a 6 string set for a rainy day. Do you have any reccomendations for strings? Asides from the sizes you gave me.

So much to address in the above, too (though I'm not sure detailed discussion of percussion (which may actually lead us into archaeology :lol: ) will suit in here - but to address your question on strings first - my first option would be D'Addario Phosphor Bronze EJ41 - an XL full set that will give you a lovely warm, balanced tone with a total tension of under 220 pounds - so a good place to start before you begin playing around with the truss rod.

So much to address in the above, too (though I'm not sure detailed discussion of percussion (which may actually lead us into archaeology :lol: ) will suit in here - but to address your question on strings first - my first option would be D'Addario Phosphor Bronze EJ41 - an XL full set that will give you a lovely warm, balanced tone with a total tension of under 220 pounds - so a good place to start before you begin playing around with the truss rod.
The percussion statement was awfully long winded and a ramble. I've just had that built up in my mind for a few years and found a second to spew it out :lol:

I found the exact set of strings. 👍 This should make for an interesting journey. I'll probably look for a way to secure my saddle a little better before stringing it up.

As far as the tension and weight, I have no idea if the bridge will hold up. I didn't plan on a full tune to begin with as 12's put on a ton of pressure. I was thinking half step down, but I see a lot of guys just going the full step down. Doesn't bother me either way, as long as my bridge doesn't rip off. :dopey:

Thanks for the tips, conversation. 👍

Been a while since I posted in this thread, but anyway I got my guitar finally in September of last year and since last posting I've been playing pretty much non stop, even out playing regularly on the weekends with a band. Crazy how much has changed in the last 6 months especially.

rockjlv.jpg

Life is good, no more dusty guitars or rusty guitar skills. That said my hands are not what they used to be, I need a good hour of warming up now after clicking and stretching all my fingers... Though once they are warmed up it's all guns blazin, I probably play the best now I have in my entire life, I just have to build up to it.

….XsnipX…...That said my hands are not what they used to be, I need a good hour of warming up now after clicking and stretching all my fingers... Though once they are warmed up it's all guns blazin, I probably play the best now I have in my entire life, I just have to build up to it.

I could have written that myself. :crazy:
Same with me now - getting along in years, but to get all that musical experience running down to my fingertips means some warming up is required. In fact, lots of warming up - but once I get going it's loco motion. :lol:

Glad to hear that you're plucking up a storm again - nothing so therapeutical as making music. That lime-green Ibanez is always a sight to behold - I can't imagine how great it looks before the footlights.

Love Ibanez ...great pics guys!

I really want to play drums but need more practice.

These kept me busy for a while this weekend, mostly the Mexican/Jamaican Fender :) The uke was fun for about 30sec. :lol:

20180326_233203.jpg

Back