Kaz: Pushing the Virtual Divide

• Thread starter sokira
  • 436 comments
I was just expressing why you might have viewed the "ad" to be 90 minutes on why Kaz is awesome. That just concludes my reason for posting my apologist/fanboy "opinion". We all have different tastes (optimistic or pessimistic, more knowledge about the history of PD and GT or none at all will factor into your view of the documentary and on how Kaz seems to give you the wrong vibe).

My older brother plays GT (and started playing the past GT games before me), but with a controller and has progressed through more of GT6 than I have even though I play it far more than he. He doesn't give a damn about its history. JUST something worth noting. I've invested time becoming knowledgeable about the history and it's present and future state. You visit a GT fan(boy) forum and he doesn't. You probably care more about the gameplay and what's coming next than he does, but you probably don't care about the history of GT as much as he doesn't care.

The documentary isn't a tell-all about the history of PD nor about the life of Kazunori Yamauchi. There are many others that many others that can say more than even me about the entire history of GT.

On a side-note, "fanboys"? It was bound to happen sooner rather than later, but I can comfortably make addition to my ignore list, stitch jones. Have a good run, "fanboy-hater".

haha 5 posts I saw before adding him to my ignore list. I could have sworn that I saw him post a bunch more in this past week. Well, enough to make a name for himself. Great fella.

I appreciate the explanation. As you said, we all have different tastes, which is why I specifically mentioned that my views are of my own, instead of implying that I'm stating facts. For me, GT is just a video game that I enjoy on my spare time. I've been racing IRL for a while, and I fall into the category of people who just see GT as an arcade, semi-sim....if that's even a word. I have nothing against the documentary, instead, the way it presents itself. Perhaps it's a fault best aimed at the director, although many would argue that it is a "fault" at all. The whole thing gives off a certain vibe which is difficult to ignore. At least, it is for me. I cannot be the only one to have noticed that Kaz loves attention and appreciation for every little thing. Perhaps that is why he always promises features and inclusions in his GT series, and the falls short. Perhaps its his way of wanting people to like him more or to acknowledge his accomplishments. I can name a bunch of interviews and press conferences when Kaz promises something, gets people to kiss his feet in excitement, only to later realize that it never happen. With that in mind, I couldn't help but to see this documentary as another one of Kaz's "Hey, look at me! I'm awesome!" attempts. Like I said before, maybe I'm just an *sshole, but that's how I view the whole thing.

Also, again, I appreciate the sensible reply. You don't seem like the "fanboy," type. Maybe just ease it with the retaliations, though ;)

It's a pretty good documentary.

Though IMO, they should cut out scenes like the welder lady and the kids at the kart racing school. Instead, focus more on Kazunori and the team.
I don't think I would have preferred that those parts stay in - meaning that without sacrificing those parts, I would have really like to have seen more about PD and GT - but instead, I see it as that they were there for a reason. Like origami or the surfboards scenes and the kart racing school with the children or the Red Bull athlete, they translate into what the programmers and modelers do is art in their own way and the GT Academy being a lead-in into the sport instead of having it be a near impossibility for a ton of people to get the chance to become professional racing drivers. I hope that makes sense.

Track List:
me&john - Broken Cars ft. Andrew Whiteman
me&john - Race Car Driver ft. Rob James
me&john - 3Weeks ft. Lisa Lobsinger
me&john - Drifting ft. Ian LeFeuvre
me&john - Twyman ft. Adaline
me&john - C7 ft. Jeen O'Brian
me&john - Reversed Momen ft. Lisa Lobsinger
me&john - Slower ft. Lisa Lobsinger
me&john - Vajrayana ft. Tye Craig
I can't find any of these on the internet :banghead:

Anyone know the credits song?

If it's not on the internet then i'll upload it on my youtube.
I have the song downloaded but don't know the name.

Last edited:
Due to the request from Me&John i will take the music video off youtube.

The song will be uploaded by Me&John in a couple days on youtube.

The song is called varajhara (War&Peace) by me&john Feat: Tie Craig

Huge respect for Me&John for asking me directly and being polite, unlike other artists which would flag the video straight away, look forward to Me&John's full album on Youtube soon!

As this is a thread titled Kaz, I would like to post a message of thanks to the man himself.

It just occured to me that if it wasn't for GT, I may not be the person I am today.

Thanks to Kaz bringing the game out during my teenage years, I was distracted enough and off the streets where I may have been influenced by the wrong sort of people (of which there were plenty).

On the flip side, i'm now 33 and my first child is due in 9 days and I'm really trying hard to figure out how i'm going to play GT whilst looking after my tiny dude. Its bordering on being a priority.

So thanks Uncle Kaz, you've kept me out of trouble over the years and made me drive my real car like a boss 👍.

Thanks eSZee for the link

Pretty good documentary not only about Kaz, PD or Gran Turismo but relating different aspects of life evolving around cars and motor sport racing. How Kaz is shown passionate about car culture how deep focused on the game production and how different car manufacturers, race drivers and artists feel the same way around their jobs on designing and developing their creations makes me think how serious GT games are, not just a game but something else as Kaz said by himself.

👍

I really enjoyed the movie! Watched it a few days ago on Hulu (but since I live in Australia I had to download the Hola plugin to make my computer pretend it was in the U.S., it works really well!)
Now we know that on the rare occasion he's not at the office, Yamauchi-san is in a forest somewhere, kicking trees to make beetles come out
:lol:;)

Okay, I just watched it. Here's some more thoughts from some random person brought here for the same reasons everyone was: the 'Gran Turismo Movement'

Everyone should have that 'GT moment', that moment where you look back and it automatically defines what Gran Turismo was for you. The moment where you realize that you didn't just buy another racing game, but you bought a definitive part of your life that could have actually had an impact on who you became.

Truth be told, I can't put my love for cars and motor-racing straight down to Gran Turismo, It started earlier than that with a simple Arcade game that broke down the barriers for what was to come; SEGA Rally. What Gran Turismo was, was take the foundations of a possible approachable, fun simcade and expand it beyond belief. My expansion of my love for cars was from Gran Turismo, but it is the sole reason that I became an encyclopedia of knowledge of the motoring world around me. Without GT, I would have been content on cars being defined by their livery or badge as a kid, but GT enhanced my learning beyond belief, more than any other aspects, it was like a learning tool for me. It made me realize this incredible motoring world that was waiting to be discovered.

It got me to fall in love with cars.

Everyone's GT Moments are completely different, but I think KAZ - at it's core - is showing how everyone has their moment. Jordan Greer, created a simple website that has transformed into something absolutely incredible and the heart of one of the biggest multimedia franchises in history. Lucas Ordonez and Jann Mardenborough got to live their dream of becoming race drivers from playing a game in their living room. That's insanity! Even Kazunori himself, has the 'GT Moment'. When that first creation of his launched in the shops, and he seen people buying him and his team's work of art. Their prized joy.

Gran Turismo isn't the perfect sim and never will be, the film never tried to convey that. But it has had more of an impact on so many people's lives than any other game I can think of right now. I love many games, but Gran Turismo isn't even a game to me any more. It's one of the pieces that made me into who I am, and even though I get really mad when it isn't what I want it to be or when I know that there was plenty of missed potential...that's fine, because if any franchise can turn things around, it's Gran Turismo.

KAZ had it's focus spot on, in my opinion. I didn't want to watch a documentary about how the game was made. I wanted to see the driving force and passion behind what makes it possible. Therefore I really enjoyed it.

8.5/10

I remember some time ago when I was reading the news that a new film about Gran Turismo is in the works. Was this about the Kaz movie, or is there another movie in production right now?

EDIT: Never mind I found out in this article.

Today, the 5th, its supposed to be launched more places, go to your country gt to see how it will be available, if via crackle or other site

Back