Lewis Hamilton DLC challenge is almost impossible with controller

• Thread starter saggzz
  • 242 comments
How does the difficulty of this compare to the Sebastian Vettel challenges in the X1 on GT5? Is this about the same or harder to achieve, taking into account there's more challenges.

Fr what I've seen, this is way easier than the Vettel Challenge back in GT5. I had gold and silver in those challenges with a DS3 and was happy with it.

PD eventually did lower the times for gold, silver and bronze because a lot of people couldn't get even to the bronze.

With LWTT, it should be more accessible, not only because the car is much slower and predictable, but because the time caps don't seem as hard to reach.

He did a video some time ago comparing wheel and controller, where his lap times were basically the same with wheel and controller, but his tyre wear was better with the wheel. As there's no tyre wear for the Lewis TTs, he could probably get all diamond with the controller.

I saw this video too. A while later he made a video and said; "It took me a couple of weeks to get to the same times that I could achieve on the pad. Then I went faster on the wheel. Much faster than I ever went on the pad". (Paraphrased by memory, but it's what he said).

I used to play with a controller back in the GT5 days and the Vettel challenge was almost impossible for me, never beat it... but maybe with a wheel I could have gotten it.

Putting it out there that I have been using a controller for GT Sport since the start (don't actually own a compatible wheel) and have been scoring regular top 10 finishes in FIA races with it. It is difficult - especially when you steer with the left analog stick - but it is definitely possible to learn and improve on similar racing techniques to those on a wheel.

Highly recommend using motion steering and L2 + R2 to brake and accelerate. These allow for smoother inputs with enough practice and as much of a realistic feel as a controller can allow. It was with this setup that I won an FIA Nations race last week. Just be sure to practice in Arcade/Campaign and adjust the 'Controller Steering Sensitivity' setting in the 'Detailed Settings' menu (under 'Driving Options') until you find a setting that works best for you. Personally, I find that setting 5 offers the best balance between smooth and responsive steering, although some adjustments might be needed to make different vehicles work better (e.g. karts are very, very twitchy on higher settings).

I saw this video too. A while later he made a video and said; "It took me a couple of weeks to get to the same times that I could achieve on the pad. Then I went faster on the wheel. Much faster than I ever went on the pad". (Paraphrased by memory, but it's what he said).
I remember him saying that, but when I looked at his daily race QTs for the same track+car before and after switching from pad to wheel, it didn't seem to be true for the ones I looked at.

A wheel wont make you faster right away, I have a wheel but normally play on a controller. So after getting frustrated trying to get gold i set up the wheel and I was even slower than before. Today I tried some more with the controller and got 4 gold times, and had some laps where i had better sectors than Lewis times, but then I always mess up at the end. So for good players it should be possible, but for normal players like myself it is really challenging. But that was the point of the DLC.

Oh wow i never expected to find someone which has the same "problems" as me small world eh ? :lol:
With billions of diverse people on this earth, and as someone who struggled with a certain other fanbase for years, I'm constantly learning that you are far from alone in regards to one's qualities, flaws, preferences, likes, etc.

So how are people getting on with the controller on nordschleife? just set my fastest time there, 6:20! still 5 secs to find for bronze! I've got silver on every other track too now! The Sauber is nuts. Though think I've just discovered what short shifting is? :lol: , canny let that thing spin up in 1st and 2nd gear eh? change about half in and stay in 3rd as much as I can as opposed to shifting down to 2nd seems to be the thing eh? It's good for learning throttle control anyhow!

But that was the point of the DLC.
I actually bought Dlc for the Project 22 since its currently unobtainable by another way.

Dont get me wrong those challenges suppose be challenging but they are beyond impossible for an average Gt sport player. Even the license test from Gran turismo 3 were easier.

Sounds to me like OP can't accept that they just aren't good enough to hit diamond times and is trying to justify this by saying "I would be able to get those times if I had a wheel".

I call shenanigans. I've got some golds and am CLOSE to my first diamond time (about .3 of a sec away on Interlagos) with a controller. Ultimately I think I am at my peak and won't get the diamonds without some SERIOUS practice. Doesn't help that I don't find the Merc enjoyable to drive.

That said, I might just not be good enough to hit diamond times on every track. Not because I don't have a wheel, but because I'm simply not good enough. Suck it up.

The one thing I will say, though, is that the level of difficulty required to unlock everything within the DLC wasn't made properly clear IMO (Yes, I know he's an F1 champ, but if they released DLC that was only going to be beaten by the top 1% then they should explain that). My thoughts is that they should have released one of the Time Trials to everyone as a demonstration, but then that might have hurt sales?
That is my entire point right there.
Sounds to me like OP can't accept that they just aren't good enough to hit diamond times and is trying to justify this by saying "I would be able to get those times if I had a wheel".

I call shenanigans. I've got some golds and am CLOSE to my first diamond time (about .3 of a sec away on Interlagos) with a controller. Ultimately I think I am at my peak and won't get the diamonds without some SERIOUS practice. Doesn't help that I don't find the Merc enjoyable to drive.

That said, I might just not be good enough to hit diamond times on every track. Not because I don't have a wheel, but because I'm simply not good enough. Suck it up.

The one thing I will say, though, is that the level of difficulty required to unlock everything within the DLC wasn't made properly clear IMO (Yes, I know he's an F1 champ, but if they released DLC that was only going to be beaten by the top 1% then they should explain that). My thoughts is that they should have released one of the Time Trials to everyone as a demonstration, but then that might have hurt .

That's all I am saying. I'm not whining. Im simply s
Letting others with controller know what they are up against

I agree. I think I'm halfway aware of the pros and cons.

If you've once ( like me ) decided to be a controller user and it feels like you're too slow, you've basically got three options :
Say the cons are overwhelming and go on moaning, live with how it is, or trying to work on it and get quicker whatever it takes.
You'll find me somewhere between option #2 and #3 :lol: ...

I've bought this DLC, it's installed but I haven't started yet. Time will tell how this turns out :cheers: !
I'm glad you've bought it too mate 👍. Even if we don't get all diamonds we can still have fun trying to beat each others times. I'm sure that you (the controller user) will be above me (TGT user) on our friends list, and are more than capable of rising to the challenges ahead of us (Guaranteed you'll have all diamond before me). :)

Edit: Just on a side note, here in Australia its $15 for the highest value cars in the PS Store. It's only $12 for this DLC and with only getting all golds, you get way more credits (about double I think) than what's needed to purchase that one $15 car.... and there's a great challenge on top aaaannnnd other bonuses! That puts things into perspective to me.:)

Last edited:
What I've found is that in every field of endeavour, there are 3 ways things can play out:
1. You do badly at something, at least in part because you didn't eliminate all the things that could later become excuses
2. You do badly at something, despite eliminating all the things that could later become excuses
3. You do well at something, having eliminated all the things that could later become excuses

What I've observed over many years, is that there are people who always choose 1, because they are too afraid to have 2 happen. These people cannot ever have 3 happen.

I dont think that's fair
It looks that way if that's the only bit you quote. It is, however, a figure of speech.

I'd say its very obvious that a controller is an inferior "tool" compared to a wheel.
Then why have people qualified for the World Championships whilst using a controller?

You are generally as fast or as slow as you are. I haven't used a controller in GT since GT/GT2, but I struggled for gold times on a controller in them just as I did in GT3/4 on a wheel.

It looks that way if that's the only bit you quote. It is, however, a figure of speech.

Then why have people qualified for the World Championships whilst using a controller?

You are generally as fast or as slow as you are. I haven't used a controller in GT since GT/GT2, but I struggled for gold times on a controller in them just as I did in GT3/4 on a wheel.
I played GT6 with a controller for almost a year then I bought a wheel. After getting used to it, I was around 1 to 1.5 seconds faster with the wheel. It was the most noticieable on fast corners.
From all the people who qualified for the championships, what's the % of controller users? I guess around 5 to 10% like the figures of the old GT Academy tests.

Agree silver isnt easy..
I agree it shouldn't be easy, but we all paid the same money.
It should all be equal.

Umm, if you don't own a wheel, then actually, you didn't pay the same money...

Wheels SHOULD have some advantage, otherwise their purpose is defeated and would be considered obsolete.

People wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars on steering wheels if they didn't provide some sort of benefit (the benifits of emersion aside).

That said, some wheel owners still use & prefer to use controllers, as there are benifits that controllers have over wheels as well.

Regardless, here are things one can do to achieve some wheel like benefits:

• Use motion controls

This allows for more degrees of rotation, increased oversteer possibility, and possibly smoother movement.

• Use the Right Analog stick for acceleration/braking.

This allows for more degrees of pressure in both acceleration & braking (this is the preferred wayof playing by a friend of mine that has been playing this way for years, at least since GT5 if not prior). Hopefully, this helps someone.

However, there are actually a few benifits that controllers allow for:

• Quicker reactions/less effort in the change of direction from one extreme to the other
  • Easier stability (keeping a car stable on a straight requires zero input, and catching a slip, requires minute thumb adjustments, opposed to precisely angled wheel rotations and counter-rotations).
  • Overall simplicity (requiring only 3 fingers to do what wheel users need the upper torso, hands, arms, fingers, legs, & feet to do).
A wheel can be a workout, even without forcefeedback. So don't pass wheels off as simply "easier to use", as that's not entirely the case. They're simply a more sophisticated tool used to get a job done that requires a user spend time and practice to master. And for many, it's simply a case of immersion, allowing for us to get that much closer to the experience of driving in a realistic fashion (same goes for VR). So if you really feel it's unfair, or think wheel users have an advantage, don't hate on it, go out & pick one up! You might actually like it!

Last edited:
From all the people who qualified for the championships, what's the % of controller users? I guess around 5 to 10% like the figures of the old GT Academy tests.

What possible meaning could you take away from that?

You could argue that the more serious a player got about GT and racing games the more likely they are to invest in a wheel...

Watching the videos of lewis is an eye opener he carries so much speed and brakes really late, he is a supreme talent. The original video of the nurburgring with kaz watching on describing his driving as art really illustrates how smoothly he progressively brakes and accelerates with no loss of traction. This DLC will help improve the overall driving standards in the community for sure. I wont be buying it, but I will learn from the examle lap times on youtube that he has set. As a pad user myself I can see the subtleties you can get with pedals and wheel make all the difference. Dont be bitter learn from the DLC this shared knowledge is priceless...

What possible meaning could you take away from that?

You could argue that the more serious a player got about GT and racing games the more likely they are to invest in a wheel...
The meaning would be the wheel is better because times dont lie... And the second argument... well it means the wheel is better too then

The meaning would be the wheel is better because times dont lie... And the second argument... well it means the wheel is better too then
What?
This is a racing simulator, people want to simulate racing cars... hence the wheel, hence why the GT esports scene uses a wheel rather than anything else... if I'm better with a pad than someone with a wheel, does that mean the pad is better than a wheel?
the answer is no

Whut? Wheels only purpose should be realism otherwise it would be literally the definition of pay2win.
What?
This is a racing simulator, people want to simulate racing cars... hence the wheel, hence why the GT esports scene uses a wheel rather than anything else... if I'm better with a pad than someone with a wheel, does that mean the pad is better than a wheel?
the answer is no
Steering wheels are AFAIK the ultimate tool to control and drive a car, thats why they're better. If controllers were that great, then real life cars would have them attached to drive instead of wheels. :lol:
baldgye have you ever owned a wheel and tried/practiced with it?

Whut? Wheels only purpose should be realism otherwise it would be literally the definition of pay2win.
It kind of is pay to win but in reality its not because
1. Wheels do offer a more realistic experiance (within the limitations of each game.)
2. The game is not made with a bias towards one of the too for example its not like i racing when its all about competition so if you don't have a wheel you are out of it by default.
3. The equipment comes from a third party and as long as that happens its totally ok you literally get what you pay for , and with your logic everything is by default pay to win wheel over pad ? pay to win , a more expensive "elite" controller ? pay to win , multi monitor display for better visibility? pay to win but thats not how it works.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back