Modified Track Path Editor + Tracks/Discussion

Thank you eran.
I am currently playing with the 'smoothen' command on the overall track that seems to do a good job.
I will do what you proposed manually on the 3 or 4 locations where bumps are disrupted to slope flow.
I am trying to understand the red and blue lines in the bottom of the screen.
Am i correct if i imagine the 'blue' line as 'slope acceleration' meaning that when it's 'flat' the slopes changes are fluent ?
I don't figure what represents the 'red' line ?

The red line is the gradient of the slope. For instance, 10% means that the road climbs 10 meters for every 100 meters.
The blue line is the delta slope, i.e. the rate of change. You can think of it as the forces experienced when driving the track. Positive delta pushes the car towards the ground, negative lifts it from the ground.

Thank you.
Ok my track elevation changes and smotthness are quite realistics.

Do you know if the corner count in the '.ted' file header is usefull for something else than display ?
So as i can change it to real track corner count.

Thank you.
Ok my track elevation changes and smotthness are quite realistics.

Do you know if the corner count in the '.ted' file header is usefull for something else than display ?
So as i can change it to real track corner count.

Only used for display I think. Same with elevation difference and longest straight (homestraight length in the TED file, although the game displays it as the length of the longest straight). So you can set these to pretty much whatever you want.

Would purple represent sea level?
Btw. since the maximum elevation difference is "not very large" it's probable the game doesn't change air pressure for these in any way. Still it would be very nice if the official app had eg. a scenery set high above sea level, even if that pressure change was then prebaked per scenery or per track or (gasp!) per sector.

Sorry mate just seen this, all details of road & decorations are in my codes list.

Do you know if the Andalusia point-to-point start can be used on circuits like you can on Eifel? I noticed that it's just a single road segment, so I guess it has a barrier at the end?

I have been making the "Mišeluk Street Circuit" Located in Novi Sad, Vojvodina, Serbia. 1.1 scale replica using the Andalusia Theme. I had to move the sf-straight so I could reach exact track length, only 15 m longer than the real (3.396 km). I want to know from all of you, if it is a track I should upload, I know it is a much appreciated track in RaceDepartment.:cheers::gtplanet:.
By the way, the elevation is quite similar, and it has some of the same scenery.
It can be downloaded by clicking the Download Button on my latest track in the database.:cheers:. What do you think.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/resources/mišeluk-street-circuit-serbia.5805/

Last edited by a moderator:
I have completed my track design. Thank you for your help.
I would want to move it to Eifel template to be consistent with the terrain as far as possible.
I have seen the 'template' menu in TED Editor.
I have some questions about it :
  1. When i apply the template, will it set the track on the new terrain or will it cut through the terrain preserving my elevations ? (i understand from eran answer the morning that in this case i have to translate it for altitude matching)
  2. Is there a way to move the track location on the map ? (hoping there is a reference point somewhere or a command to do that). The goal is to put the track somewhere consistent with the terrain but not to redesign everything.
  3. Last is a detail, there is german flag on the right of the track name on the PS3 when uploading the ted file.
    Is there a way to change it to something else ? like the track countrty flag ?

@VelociRaptor I don't think there are, nor supported, any image data in the file format (replays have these but even then only XMB shows them). Also, I recall no mention about referencing the flags in the game in the 3rd party documents.

I have been making the "Mišeluk Street Circuit" Located in Novi Sad, Vojvodina, Serbia. 1.1 scale replica using the Andalusia Theme. I had to move the sf-straight so I could reach exact track length, only 15 m longer than the real (3.396 km). I want to know from all of you, if it is a track I should upload, I know it is a much appreciated track in RaceDepartment.:cheers::gtplanet:.
By the way, the elevation is quite similar, and it has some of the same scenery.
It can be downloaded by clicking the Download Button on my latest track in the database.:cheers:. What do you think

I don't see why you shouldn't, I'm sure that most of us will happily give her a go. 👍

I have completed my track design. Thank you for your help.
I would want to move it to Eifel template to be consistent with the terrain as far as possible.
I have seen the 'template' menu in TED Editor.
I have some questions about it :
  1. Is there a way to move the track location on the map ? (hoping there is a reference point somewhere or a command to do that). The goal is to put the track somewhere consistent with the terrain but not to redesign everything.

Yes you can just select all points and move it around as you wish. The height map is now used in the TED editor too so you can look for a spot that matches your terrain. Same kind of thing I did for Lime Rock Park, it's still quite a bit of trial and error though. Good Luck!

As an aside I know everyone hates Death Valley but I've updated the 010 templates to include one for the desert location. I'm bound and determined to make something fun on that scene. :D

Here is the link.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3KVhefko8VJMTlqTkk2S0tPQlU?usp=sharing

I tried a few times to do either an oval or something reminiscent of them, but it was not nearly smooth enough, where the banking would go.

I tried a few times to do either an oval or something reminiscent of them, but it was not nearly smooth enough, where the banking would go.

To make it smoother you need to increase the bank shift values and/or make the road segments shorter.

Hm... according to the PD calendar the world will end in year 2033, because that's the point where the time format used in the ted files runs out of years :eek:

With 6 bits used for the year value, the maximum year in bits is 111111, which translates to 32+16+8+4+2+1 = 63. Add the start year of 1970 and you get 2033.

Edit: All four locations are now supported by the layout creator!

Here is a mountain road I just made at Andalusia. The contour map is a great resource there! Turns out you can indeed use the point-to-point start at Andalusia because the barriers doesn't have any collision.

Also, the flag 2 trick is great for increasing the road width in the hairpin turns :D

https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gt6/user/#!/friend/eran0004/course/2727727/

screen (4).png

I'll share the latest version of the layout creator later on, just need to tidy up a few things in the interface first.

Last edited:
Turns out you can indeed use the point-to-point start at Andalusia because the barriers doesn't have any collision.

Also, the flag 2 trick is great for increasing the road width in the hairpin turns :D

Yep, I tested the p2p start last night too. Also the parking road is great for hairpins as well, which then allows 3 widths if you start with a base of 10-12, use parking road for wide turns, flag 2 for narrow ones, really offers great flexibility.

Track Layout Creator 1.5.0

Changes
  • Functionality extended to all four course maker sceneries: Eifel, Eifel Flat, Andalusia and Death Valley. Switch scene by going to the Scenery menu in the menu bar.
  • Contour map colours now ranges from (lowest to highest) blue -> cyan -> green -> yellow -> red -> magenta.
  • The road baselength option has been disabled. All roads are now their default length.
  • When exporting to ted, the file now gets a proper PDI Datetime value.
Code:
def PDIDATETIME():
    def decimal_to_bits(decimal, bits=6):
        bitString = ''
        for i in range(bits, 0, -1):
            bitVal = 2**(i-1)
            bit = decimal//bitVal
            bitString+= str(bit)
            decimal -= bit*bitVal
        return bitString   

t = datetime.datetime.now()
    Y = (t.year-1970,   6)
    M = (t.month,       4)
    D = (t.day,         5)
    h = (t.hour,        5)
    m = (t.minute,      6)
    s = (t.second,      6)

bits = ''
    for item in (Y, M, D, h, m, s):
        bits+=decimal_to_bits(item[0], item[1])

return int(bits, 2)

Attachments

• Track Layout Creator 1.5.0.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 43
Track Layout Creator 1.5.0

Changes
  • Functionality extended to all four course maker sceneries: Eifel, Eifel Flat, Andalusia and Death Valley. Switch scene by going to the Scenery menu in the menu bar.
  • Contour map colours now ranges from (lowest to highest) blue -> cyan -> green -> yellow -> red -> magenta.
  • The road baselength option has been disabled. All roads are now their default length.
  • When exporting to ted, the file now gets a proper PDI Datetime value.
Code:
def PDIDATETIME():
    def decimal_to_bits(decimal, bits=6):
        bitString = ''
        for i in range(bits, 0, -1):
            bitVal = 2**(i-1)
            bit = decimal//bitVal
            bitString+= str(bit)
            decimal -= bit*bitVal
        return bitString  

t = datetime.datetime.now()
    Y = (t.year-1970,   6)
    M = (t.month,       4)
    D = (t.day,         5)
    h = (t.hour,        5)
    m = (t.minute,      6)
    s = (t.second,      6)

bits = ''
    for item in (Y, M, D, h, m, s):
        bits+=decimal_to_bits(item[0], item[1])

return int(bits, 2)

Great update. Not having to switch all the roads to the scene you want to use is gonna save a bunch of time.

So have you looked into converting KML plot points to arc data yet? :)

StPetePolygonDrawing.png

Drew this up while watching the race today. What a drive from Sebastien, from last to first. Great start to the IndyCar season. I was pretty bitter about not making it there today until I started drawing this up. First one I've missed in the past 5 years. C'est la vie, shouldn't complain that much as I'll be in Sebring on Wednesday morning. Hmm, I wonder if any track has been released from the grounds of the actual track itself. ;)

EDIT: Layout, elevation and roads 95% complete. Pretty fun and tricky. Give it a shot.
https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gt6/user/#!/friend/NingDynasty/course/2728611/

Last edited:
Argh.. Learned few things on hard way..
Track distance is measured on centerline, decoration placements aren't, they're just relative to centerline distance plus increased distance on high bank and decreased distance at low bank. Well changing banking angle will change length of track outerline as well all object placements will "fail" after that banking change due that distance change.. Grin..

Do not decorate your track if banking or elevation is still going on.. Uff

@eran0004 is this distance for decoration using also height change added distance, so full 3D distance on all decorative objects, or just banking caused length changes?

Is i.e. curb position distance always counted by distance of right side of track, or inner side of whole track, meaning clockwise going track its right side?
Also timing checkpoints counted same using lenght of right side of track.
When adjusting banks on TED-Editor, adding more banking to right turns shorten right side, lengthen left side it will move by itself timing checkpoint further, practically same point on 2D measuring..

Trying to figure out something how do right banking and elevation fixes to track without redoing everything..

Last edited:
Argh.. Learned few things on hard way..
Track distance is measured on centerline, decoration placements aren't, they're just relative to centerline distance plus increased distance on high bank and decreased distance at low bank. Well changing banking angle will change length of track outerline as well all object placements will "fail" after that banking change due that distance change.. Grin..

Do not decorate your track if banking or elevation is still going on.. Uff

@eran0004 is this distance for decoration using also height change added distance, so full 3D distance on all decorative objects, or just banking caused length changes?

Is i.e. curb position distance always counted by distance of right side of track, or inner side of whole track, meaning clockwise going track its right side?
Also timing checkpoints counted same using lenght of right side of track.
When adjusting banks on TED-Editor, adding more banking to right turns shorten right side, lengthen left side it will move by itself timing checkpoint further, practically same point on 2D measuring..

Trying to figure out something how do right banking and elevation fixes to track without redoing everything..

Are you sure? When I look at the ted data straight from the TPE app it looks like the distance is measured on the center, but decorations on the inside of a turn are made a little longer and decos on the outside are made a little shorter, to compensate for the longer/shorter distance.

The distance for road and deco items are 3D, including elevation. At first I thought it just counted the elevation of the cp points, but after making the SSR VMAX tracks it looks like it takes all heights in consideration.

Edit: And banking shouldn't have any effect on the deco positions. The distance change along the track edge from banking is minimal, so even if it is being accounted for it shouldn't add more than a couple of centimeters to the distance.

Last edited:
Are you sure? When I look at the ted data straight from the TPE app it looks like the distance is measured on the center, but decorations on the inside of a turn are made a little longer and decos on the outside are made a little shorter, to compensate for the longer/shorter distance.

Not absolute sure, but seems like it. When gathered enough self confidence to tackle again my Zandvoort I'll check it more.

My thought about only one side used is because I added banking to several right hand turns, reduced left hand turn and on that left hand also reduced elevation, sections after two long (banking change about 150m or more) right hander "shortened" several meters, considering decoration placements which all went further away, on both sides, pretty much equal amount.
If distance was counted from both outer lines then I would assume at left side only goes longer and right will get shorter and trackside objects on left side will come closer and right side go further. But those went both further away..

And deco sizing is as you say, but starting point of deco is this my case.

Not absolute sure, but seems like it. When gathered enough self confidence to tackle again my Zandvoort I'll check it more.

My thought about only one side used is because I added banking to several right hand turns, reduced left hand turn and on that left hand also reduced elevation, sections after two long (banking change about 150m or more) right hander "shortened" several meters, considering decoration placements which all went further away, on both sides, pretty much equal amount.
If distance was counted from both outer lines then I would assume at left side only goes longer and right will get shorter and trackside objects on left side will come closer and right side go further. But those went both further away..

And deco sizing is as you say, but starting point of deco is this my case.

Did the distance values for these objects change or did they stay the same?

Did the distance values for these objects change or did they stay the same?
Thats part what going to check on next time, but by quick look with 010 had feeling at something is changed on timing checkpoint placement numbers, but i.e. curb distance numbers are same, verification for this when next time on computer.

What would I use to gain elevation values of a road to use to build a real life replica?
I know that GPS Visualizer is good for tracing out routes to scale, yet I'm not sure about elevation values.
I have a local touge I wanna build, yet I don't know how to get the values needed to place into the new tools.
My goal is to build this touge like JDM--StreetRacer builds his. I'm very impressed with this persons work, and want to see my touge in that format.

What would I use to gain elevation values of a road to use to build a real life replica?
I know that GPS Visualizer is good for tracing out routes to scale, yet I'm not sure about elevation values.
I have a local touge I wanna build, yet I don't know how to get the values needed to place into the new tools.
My goal is to build this touge like JDM--StreetRacer builds his. I'm very impressed with this persons work, and want to see my touge in that format.

Try this:

http://www.geocontext.org/publ/2010/04/profiler/en/

Back