NES (S3): Season 4 discussions etc

What should we do regarding the race start procedure?

• Change only the LMP race to rolling start

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • change both GT3 and LMP races to rolling start

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What about alternating the races weekly, so one week you have the gt race and the next week you have the lmp1 race? I think that would help boost lmp1 races.

I think rather than have a pro / am split how about a rookie class? All guys who have done at least 1 season should be in the pro category really.

And I agree with longer races, in my opinion 40mins isn’t really an enduro, an hour sounds good to me. Would possibly need to tweak fuel and tyre wear rates though to suit
Regarding the Pro and Amateur splits, that idea was created to separate based on driver skill level, not NES experience.
An interesting idea with alternating the races weekly though.
And it also seems that having hour long races is a popular idea.

We talked about some stuff via PM but let me suggest more things, publicly.

First of all, the Pro/Am split sounds good (ex. LMP1 Pro/Am and GT Pro/Am) but allow teams only between 1 Pro and 1 Am driver. For example me and stevie can't drive as a team because the teams championship will just run away from everyone else.

Also we can follow a 1 team per car rule for both GT and LMP as we need variety. I'm not sure if we need another BoP for the GT class (there will surely be one for the LMP class). This doesn't count B spec teams like BSC Porsche Design, who will be able to use the same car as the A spec team.

Regarding the race days, I'd say start the races about one hour earlier than this season so people will be able to make it into both races. One hour endurance races will do. You'll have to bring the tyre wear and fuel depletion down so we won't be pitting every 12 minutes.
I am not available on Saturdays as I have a lot of things so I can't bother racing in any series at nights.

And last but not least, a list of questions:

1. Will there be a formation lap next season?
2. Will there be caution / VSC conditions in case there are multi-car (2 or more) wrecks?
3. How about adding more rounds? There are still tracks we didn't use, like Kyoto or Tokyo (the outer loop, which actually is a decent track) or (kill me for that) Willow Springs.
We had Tokyo back in S2 so it wouldn't be a stupid idea.

We talked about some stuff via PM but let me suggest more things, publicly.

First of all, the Pro/Am split sounds good (ex. LMP1 Pro/Am and GT Pro/Am) but allow teams only between 1 Pro and 1 Am driver. For example me and stevie can't drive as a team because the teams championship will just run away from everyone else.

Also we can follow a 1 team per car rule for both GT and LMP as we need variety. I'm not sure if we need another BoP for the GT class (there will surely be one for the LMP class). This doesn't count B spec teams like BSC Porsche Design, who will be able to use the same car as the A spec team.

Regarding the race days, I'd say start the races about one hour earlier than this season so people will be able to make it into both races. One hour endurance races will do. You'll have to bring the tyre wear and fuel depletion down so we won't be pitting every 12 minutes.
I am not available on Saturdays as I have a lot of things so I can't bother racing in any series at nights.

And last but not least, a list of questions:

1. Will there be a formation lap next season?
2. Will there be caution / VSC conditions in case there are multi-car (2 or more) wrecks?
3. How about adding more rounds? There are still tracks we didn't use, like Kyoto or Tokyo (the outer loop, which actually is a decent track) or (kill me for that) Willow Springs.
We had Tokyo back in S2 so it wouldn't be a stupid idea.
I can answer that list of questions at the end:

1: A formation lap would take away from race time, however with the races being extended to 1 hour it could happen. It would be a pain in the neck to manage though.

2: It's possible for such a feature to exist next season, I'd say more so than the formation lap. I'd implement it by having the people involved in the incident to type "VSC" in the chat. So if it appears twice within 30 seconds(ish) then the leaders of each category would put their hazard lights on and reduce speed. When the 2 fields are bunched up, I would text "SC in this lap." Then each category leader would control their category's restart from there. They would only be allowed to get back up to speed in the final sector of the track. No overtaking before crossing the start/finish line.

3: A potential increase from 8 to 10 rounds could happen. However due to "health and safety concerns" Brands Hatch and Mt. Panorama will be cut from the roster. Having a city circuit on the calendar again would be cool, but the main concern with the Tokyo Expressway is its narrowness in places (at least with the central loops, the east loops might be ok).

Also now that i think about it, it would be better for teams to be made up of 1 Pro and 1 Amateur simply because then the teams championships would combine both Pro and Amateur. If the teams championships were split into 'Pro teams championship' and 'Amateur teams championship' there would be very few entries. That's why I now think it's best to combine the 2, so I think that teams should be made of 1 Pro and 1 Amateur. This development would completely turn the driver market upside down though, based on who I think will make the Pro split. I will reveal who's in what split at the end of the current season, so don't be making contracts just yet.

Last edited:
Too much confusion
Or we scrap one of the categories or we have separate race days because a lot of people here agrees with me ‘cause now we can do a 1hour enduro every week and it’s better and there’s more variety
Everything on one day
No other series does this tbh

Too much confusion
Or we scrap one of the categories or we have separate race days because a lot of people here agrees with me ‘cause now we can do a 1hour enduro every week and it’s better and there’s more variety
Everything on one day
No other series does this tbh
Scrapping a category? Since when was that a thing? And I'm 99% certain that the 2 races that make up a 'round' will be on separate days. What Steviea said about having race 1 on one week and race 2 on the next seems to be a better alternative than having race 1 on Saturday and race 2 on Sunday. Perhaps moving the race start time back by 1 hour would help people who have to get up early for Monday, since racing on Saturday is out of the question anyway (thanks CJ lol). Just know that the NES would more often than not clash with Formula 1 and other real motorsport events.

There simply isn't a perfect solution. I'm just trying to find the best compromise.

It's raceday!
At long last we've reached the end of the season, and what a season it's been! And what better place to host the season finale than La Sarthe, the birthplace of this community over a year ago. Hope to see you there! :D

Wait wait wait
I have a life other than GT Sport but because of him we can’t
Alright
It's not just CJ, even Splurge can't do Saturdays. And for the record I would have made a poll if GTPlanet would actually let me make a new one. I can't even delete the existing poll, that's how stupid it is.

Also, 30 minute warning for the lobby today

Hi guys - I finally got around to confirming my account!

Thanks for a great season. I'm looking forward to Season 4 already.

With regards to the myriad of changes you guys are discussing, i think most of the suggestions are pretty great. 1 hour seems much more fitting for sure. Limiting cars to one team would ensure variety which is important. Yep.
I'm not too sure about the Pro/Am split taking apart the teams though. This would prevent new entries from forming completely new teams, and also reset the interesting narratives that are already there. I don't know.

Alternating the class for the races would be cool. I'd like to do LMP too, but i don't care much for doing both races in a row.. A bit much for me really.

EDIT: Uh. I would reeeaally prefer white numberplates. That green really clashes. Possibly even just a different tone of green would be better.

Last edited:
Hi guys - I finally got around to confirming my account!

Thanks for a great season. I'm looking forward to Season 4 already.

With regards to the myriad of changes you guys are discussing, i think most of the suggestions are pretty great. 1 hour seems much more fitting for sure. Limiting cars to one team would ensure variety which is important. Yep.
I'm not too sure about the Pro/Am split taking apart the teams though. This would prevent new entries from forming completely new teams, and also reset the interesting narratives that are already there. I don't know.

Alternating the class for the races would be cool. I'd like to do LMP too, but i don't care much for doing both races in a row.. A bit much for me really.
Thanks for your input Nilse!

Forgot to mention it before but I’m against the idea of having teams split between pro and am drivers... would split up a lot of teams, traels and I are already planning to stay together for next season and it would suck if we weren’t able to do so

Forgot to mention it before but I’m against the idea of having teams split between pro and am drivers... would split up a lot of teams, traels and I are already planning to stay together for next season and it would suck if we weren’t able to do so
There were 2 reasons why we came up with the idea:
1: To prevent OP driver combinations from making the season boring.
2: So we have a means of having proper fair multiclass racing.

I'd be open to suggestions of alternatives that solve that criteria, but so far having that Pro and Amateur split was the best idea we had.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input Nilse!
Bruh.. It's Traels666.. hah.

i don't really see much of an issue in having split drivers championships in pro/am, but still having some all pro teams. You could have a pro team and a pro/am ranking for teams as well. This would give much more incentive to push against the nearest competitors midfield, but not break apart pretty much all the teams from S3 backwards.
It might also give an extra reason for the bigger teams to maintain a B-spec team..

Also, i hope you appreciate how much time and effort i put into my avatar. I'm very proud.

Last edited:
We have to coup with it Apple
I remember that I would never be on the level of CJ back in GT6 but then I completely dominated in some Q and races so it’s due to driver and good setup
You know that Apple, S1 Nilse was dominating the LMP category
We can’t always exciting fights for the WDC like in S2
Theses few months will bring even better preparation and bring the best of us

The race settings for the Nürburgring 1 Hour have been added to post #3 of this thread. Only a few changes compared with a regular NES GT3 race, but it's certainly noteworthy.

Im gonna be real
The GT and LMP race I got competitive without any setup or preparation so
And Steviea brings a good point
Pro and AM it will cause friction
If we had always full grid w/20 cars might be a good ideia

We have to coup with it Apple
I remember that I would never be on the level of CJ back in GT6 but then I completely dominated in some Q and races so it’s due to driver and good setup
You know that Apple, S1 Nilse was dominating the LMP category
We can’t always exciting fights for the WDC like in S2
Theses few months will bring even better preparation and bring the best of us
I understand that, but how else can we split the field? If you say "don't" then that means multiclass will be impossible. And multiclass has been one of the most, if not the most requested change for Season 4

I understand that, but how else can we split the field? If you say "don't" then that means multiclass will be impossible. And multiclass has been one of the most, if not the most requested change for Season 4
Let people choose where they wanna race
If both teammates want the same category let them

If I want too I would drive in Am just to win the category but it feels incorrect
I want to drive with the best and all of us know what capability have
More freedom Apple is better

Oh and rolling starts....
Just for LMP pls
We need unpredictability on the races
With rolling starts the top drivers will run away always Apple
Consider that

That’s why I suggested a ‘rookie’ category, I don’t like the idea that next year traels and myself will potentially be faced with the decision to either have to part ways or to compete in different categories which wouldn’t be cool. Anyway it’s just my 2cents, of course it’s offapples series so I’m sure whatever will be decided will be the best rounded decision.

Let people choose where they wanna race
If both teammates want the same category let them
In theory, someone deserving of being a Pro driver could enter the Amateur category just so they can get an easy 27pts each round, benefitting them in the teams championship. That was my main concern

I don't really see the issue in having all-pro teams though. Split ranking for pro and am, both driver and team (maybe just pro and pro/am team rankings)

As we've seen throughout the season, there is nothing indicating that new arrivals won't be immediately competitive in pro.. So i'm not really sure how you'd assess the classes though.

I edited my earlier post but forgot to hit update, so theres some more stuff up there you might not have read.
It's been a while since i've used the good ol' bb forum format.

Also, i hope you appreciate how much time and effort i put into my avatar. I'm very proud.

Gangsta J-Mag is the dopest ass avatar i've ever seen.

I think allowing both fully pro and fully am teams to exist would be the way to go. It'd be a shame to split up so many of the already existing teams, both for the sake of friendships across, and for the sake of the narrative, as Traels said. For new teams, generally newcomer drivers etc, we could recommend, but not force people to starting in the Am class. We'd have a multiclass race format which everyone pretty much wants. It could also exist as a division/league-thing, as we'd know from football etc. Where it's decided on points from the last season. I don't know, as i haven't given this any real thought yet. A problem would be if the Am class is under-populated. it would look... weird to have 10-12 LMP1Pro cars, and then 4 Gt3 Am cars - and the points division thing would ensure some kind of leveling of the two classes, in terms of numbers. Then, whatever drivers racing in the series at a given moment are the level-setters of the different classes, and in theory (or thought, if you will), this would balance itself over the course of time.

This could also turn out to be really complicated to implicate on the series, so please tell me if i just need a reality check ;)

EDIT: @Traels, i'm weakly trying to match your level of avatar game.

Last edited:
Mika, a strong P1-2 for the danes in the meme-avatar-race of 2018, it looked very easy.. Was it?
With this one, Mika can even say new things once in a while. Plenty of golden nuggets to choose between lol :D

I would never be on the level of CJ back in GT6
Man I'm not that fast, haha.

Well stevie is right. I didn't think about that to be honest. I didn't know some people were already planning stuff for next season so there really isn't a good option.

I have an idea. How about a pre-season placement test? This is a good way to make the structure of the roster and categorize the field. The fastest half goes to PRO, the others go to AM for both categories. People will be allowed and encouraged to team up with everyone they want, as long as the pair isn't "OP" (ex. me and Joe in the same team). Teams between two drivers of different skill (ex. stevie and traels) are allowed, obviously.

Last edited:
uhhhhh race results where?

also, finally got back here to give proper opinions on everything.

Firstly, I think before we get into arguments over everything I'd like to thank both OffApple and CJ for running the league, been hella fun and hopefully we're all still here for s4 to tear up the tracks again.

So, Pro-Am split, and how that effects teams. This in theory, is a good idea, put into practice causes a whole heap of issues, how you decide who is what and then how teams work the system to get the best result. Taking myself as an example, I'd class myself as like the borderline of am and pro, when its a track I enjoy (like yesterday) I'm well into the realms of being pro but my consistency in the races I'm not so good at I'm way into am territory. From the way the grid ebs and flows from week to week I'd scrap the idea of splitting the lmp category because it's just not got a solid enough core of people to hold an idea of that sort. we go from 5 ppl to 11 from week to week and most races only end with 3/4-7/8 ppl because people can't be asked to finish when they've had a poor start, I am a culprit of this also but it shows the underlying issue which is there's just not enough people to run that sort of category, or at least we haven't got a wide enough spread or clear cut difference in pace between two groups of people. Most races are Joe and CJ + whoever is particularly good that weekend disappearing into the distance followed by absolutely everyone else bumping into each other. Or at least thats been the running order for the last couple races.
I can't say for the Gr.3 as I only turned up this week so idk how it looks there. How it effects the teams though I think in lmp again, too small and inconsistent a grid to try the forced split of drivers inside teams. There are always gonna be op pairings, an alternate idea to this is to force which ever constructor team wins the previous season to split for the next so there is some variation, with maybe like a 2 season barring of teaming together.

I like how the starts are currently, gr.3 was manic yesterday and everyone is equal off the line, LMP because they're faster have a smaller margin for error and so a standing start's mayhem is amplified by that amount, the rolling start does make the start more sedate however it doesn't spread the grid like everyone piling into each other some getting critical damage and others not so much. Manual rolling starts are also an option, having run 40 minute races this season and the suggestion to push out to 1 hour races we have enough data on how many laps it is etc to do x laps +1 for formation lap so I don't see why we can't, all it requires is stating from what point the leader passes that we're under green flag racing or having an extra person, either from like the alternate category who doesn't race in the other to be a pace car etc, like me for the gr.3 I wouldn't mind doing that and Traels for Gr.1 or something, idk, just suggestions.

Race time and saturdays. Please no, I'm happy how it is now, people run 3 hour races we should be able to do two, 1 hour races back to back, additional rounds for more weeks or split which week is doing what class just not saturdays otherwise I'm not racing for half the races which kinda sucks.

Safety cars and vsc, the whole 2 people type and stuff sounds good, I'd go with for both speed limit of like 80 kph or 60 mph, whichever more people prefer and have people run in whichever set of units OA and CJ say, 2 ppl type in within 30 seconds its a vsc and 3 for full safety car and people bunch up? Also I know its short notice but we could test this out round the nurb, as its outside of the season a one off and can be a test bed for all this?

Finally, for the nurb can we have light damage instead of full because there's bound to be some pile up on the first lap and whether or not we run vsc and stuff its gonna properly screw over somebody's race and if we run with light it'll mean more people can keep in the main fight. Also on the topic of vsc and full safety car etc, if we were to dictate 4 places on the circuit which are safety car release zones then it shouldn't be too bad.

That's all for now much love all o/

Back