Pokémon Games Discussion Thread (Gotta Discuss 'Em All!)

Fire types seem to either hit (I, III, VI) or miss (II, IV, V, VII)
Hey, dude. Infernape is awesome. It's a speedy physical attacker. I swept my entire first playthrough of Diamond with solo Infernape.

No one's gonna comment on Red and Blue being legit trainer battles?
Already done in multiple games Gold & Silver plus the remakes, nothing any special besides my comment was also referring to it:

As for the nostalgia bus that is the Battle Tree. I'm not excited in the slightest, it's cool and all but it doesn't feel any special despite being the 20th Anniversary game, before this game was a remake so littered with nostalgia, X/Y didn't stop throwing Gen I references in your face and B2/W2 had the PWT, not to mention we have the Gen I re-release. Pokemon games have had so much nostalgia theme content in their recent games that the Battle Tree doesn't feel any special.

With my view on Fire Starters, Charizard is just a fat giraffe (thank god for his Y Mega Evolution) who can stand and has wings, Blaziken fur design hits me the wrong way, Infernape is fine but I find him extremely forgettable like the other Gen IV starters, I also find Delphox extremely forgettable.

Purrloin and Meowth are far better first stage cats IMO. Litten face doesn't really fit what you are saying to me (except for the grumpy), that goes to Purrloin (for laziness and selfish) and Meowth (for cuteness). Litten looks like someone who has given up on life and has turned emo :P.
I see selfishness in Purrloin, but I don't see laziness.

And Meowth has cuteness, but not much else. And he's more "cartoon cute" than "cat cute".

The "given up on life" nature you see in Litten is cat-style laziness, which typically has a certain weary tiredness to it.

(I may or may not be a crazy cat lady)

Fire types seem to either hit (I, III, VI) or miss (II, IV, V, VII)

All of Gen 2's starters are hits IMO. And I'd put gen 3's fire starter in the "miss" camp...

Hey, dude. Infernape is awesome. It's a speedy physical attacker. I swept my entire first playthrough of Diamond with solo Infernape.
Design wise. The issue is that you are running out of types to pair with the starters. This generation is different, partially because all 3 types are fairly new combinations. Grass/Ghost has only the pumpkins and trees before this generation, fire/dark has the Houndour line only, and Water/Fairy has just the Marill line (plus Tapu Fini).
All of Gen 2's starters are hits IMO. And I'd put gen 3's fire starter in the "miss" camp...
To each their own.

Design wise. The issue is that you are running out of types to pair with the starters. This generation is different, partially because all 3 types are fairly new combinations. Grass/Ghost has only the pumpkins and trees before this generation, fire/dark has the Houndour line only, and Water/Fairy has just the Marill line (plus Tapu Fini).
I feel like the Fire/Fighting trend only came to be because of the first few gyms in each gen, to make sure Fire aren't heavily handicap in Gen III and IV with the first gym and so there is an advantage option for Gen V with the 2nd Gym. So people who chose Fire didn't have to resort to catching pacific Pokemon to actually win and can still make their own team as they chose.

I feel like the Fire/Fighting trend only came to be because of the first few gyms in each gen, to make sure Fire aren't heavily handicap in Gen III and IV with the first gym and so there is an advantage option for Gen V with the 2nd Gym. So people who chose Fire didn't have to resort to catching pacific Pokemon to actually win and can still make their own team as they chose.
Pacific? I only want Atlantic :dopey:

As much as I love Primarina's design, the more I think about it...

The more I like the idea of choosing Litten and just not evolving it, a la Ash's Pikachu.

Disappointed that the starter's final evolutions turned out to be accurate... Litten's final evolution is awful.

Definitely choosing Popplio.

I don't know heavy weight boxer isn't all that bad, I think Popplio's is far more strange. I mean it starts out as a circus Sea lion and becomes a sea lion hybrid mermaid. And then you have the Robin hood owl, which isn't so bad. Especially after having a Samurai and Ninja in other gens.

I don't know heavy weight boxer isn't all that bad, I think Popplio's is far more strange. I mean it starts out as a circus Sea lion and becomes a sea lion hybrid mermaid. And then you have the Robin hood owl, which isn't so bad. Especially after having a Samurai and Ninja in other gens.
I always thought of that it was of a heel professional wrestler kind of design than a boxer (especially since it lacks the gloves).

As much as I love Primarina's design, the more I think about it...

The more I like the idea of choosing Litten and just not evolving it, a la Ash's Pikachu.
I did that in Platinum with my Gligar (I know it wasn't a starter but it was the one on my Platium team that I refused to evolve).

Issue is that unless it can really benefit from Eviolite, pre-evolved Pokemon might have a difficult time to shine especially if the rest of your team is littered with extremely powerful Pokemon.

True, though I think I can compensate somewhat by over-leveling it. Maybe I'll try and see how far I can get with just Litten.

True, though I think I can compensate somewhat by over-leveling it. Maybe I'll try and see how far I can get with just Litten.
With the inclusion of Z-Move, you could make Litten your Z-Move user to try and balance it all out... for one turn.

I always thought of that it was of a heel professional wrestler kind of design than a boxer (especially since it lacks the gloves).

I meant to put one of the other, but the belt makes it look more like a boxers title winning belt than a wrestler to me. It could be either or, but I don't think it's a wrestler because we've had some many pokemon of that class before. And realistically they've already done the wrestling bit in Gen 5 with a fire pokemon.

I meant to put one of the other, but the belt makes it look more like a boxers title winning belt than a wrestler to me. It could be either or, but I don't think it's a wrestler because we've had some many pokemon of that class before. And realistically they've already done the wrestling bit in Gen 5 with a fire pokemon.
Belts are applied to both boxers and wrestler. Too me, it can be both.

It's style, typing (Dark which in Japan is Evil) and animation make me think it is more incline to be more like a typical heel wrestler character, which I think the other wrestler based Pokemon take a more typical babyface wrestler.

Though true, with your reasoning, it can go either way.

I'm very happy that Popplio's final evolution from that reference sheet I posted earlier was confirmed. I'm defenitely going with it. Primarina's not a bad name either.

Really, I like all three final evolutions of the starters. They each bring something unique to the table.

Belts are applied to both boxers and wrestler. Too me, it can be both.

It's style, typing (Dark which in Japan is Evil) and animation make me think it is more incline to be more like a typical heel wrestler character, which I think the other wrestler based Pokemon take a more typical babyface wrestler.

Though true, with your reasoning, it can go either way.

I agree, I thought my original post had that but I erased it. I intended to say boxer/wrestler. As for looks...eh Emboar looks pretty terrifying to me, not Ursaring scary but still an intimidating pokemon. And was even animated as such.

I also say boxer, because since gen 3 and arguably earlier. Fire starter types have been known as melee/fighter that just happen to shoot flames. For example Blaziken seems to be a Muay Thai/kickboxer, Infernape carries this further but seems to use kung fu (monkey style). Then you have Emboar who seems like a pro wrestler. Delphox is the only deviation of this and really any psychic in the anti-thesis until a legit psychic/fighting is made, but that'd break meta worse than a certain fire-water type. I feel they're now returning to the fire fighting type with a boxer, which we haven't really seen since hitmonchan.

I'm very happy that Popplio's final evolution from that reference sheet I posted earlier was confirmed. I'm defenitely going with it. Primarina's not a bad name either.

Really, I like all three final evolutions of the starters. They each bring something unique to the table.

I just looked it up on bulbapedia and it even gives the combination I idealized it as. I've been playing this series far too long. I too enjoy the uniqueness of the three final evos. I also see where @RESHIRAM5 is coming from.

Last edited:
As for looks...eh Emboar looks pretty terrifying to me, not Ursaring scary but still an intimidating pokemon. And was even animated as such.
There are multiple type of heel wrestlers and even babyface wrestlers that are intimidating (namly the giant ones due lazy wrestling writing).

I feel like it's the sneaky heel wrestler, who can not only be aggressive but take any advantage they can for the win which also explains it being a cat.

There are multiple type of heel wrestlers and even babyface wrestlers that are intimidating (namly the giant ones due lazy wrestling writing).

I feel like it's the sneaky heel wrestler, who can not only be aggressive but take any advantage they can for the win which also explains it being a cat.

I don't watch much lucha libre stuff so I wouldn't really know.

d1c.jpg

It's weird to think the game is actually releasing this month. The months have flew by since the announcement!
I know, I can't believe this journey is about to start when it doesn't feel long.

Already have my team sorted for my journey:

Primarina (named Performapal (Yugioh))
Kommo-o (named Drum (Buddyfight))
Alola Sandslash (named Sonic (Sonic))
Lycanroc (name TBD)
A returning non-Alola form Pokemon.
Solgeo (named Mafusa (Lion King))

So far the Pokemon i have planned for my S/M team is Rowlet and Pyukumuku. The rest will be decided based on what i encounter in the game.

As someone who has Pokemon level OCD (I need my Pokemon in my team to be the same level), I have to plan ahead otherwise the Pokemon I get at the beginning will be too high level and I'd have to viciously grind the recent additions so I can catch them up.

I also have a rule that the main legendary has to be on my team (only exception is when the main legendary isn't integral to the story like in Gen I & Gen II).

The fire starter and a team of pokemon around it that I've never used before and are new gen Pokemon to that region. That's my rule for first play through on a new gen cartridge.

Back