POLL: Project CARS in Hindsight?

• Thread starter VBR
  • 208 comments

If you knew back then what you know now, would you still have bought Project CARS?

• I have the PC & XB1 versions & vote NO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have the PS4 & XB1 versions & vote NO

• I have all versions & vote YES

• Total voters

VBR

Meme Dissident in Exile...
Premium
England
Yorkshire
ScapeGoat4U
WhippingBoy
I'm just wondering how many people would have bought this game if they knew what they were in for? With so many bugs & issues etc, would you have bought it when you did if you knew what you know now?

Last edited:
The many guys i trusted here on gtp made a great marketing and made me buy in a ps4, a t300 and the game out of sheer trust and constant and continuos praising. I didn't expect the game to be like this at launch, i din't expect it to still be like this now.

The game is great somewhere between the basic features that misses and all the bugs. When there's no problems the racing is very, very good. If it was just the matter of getting the game i wouldn't complain much, but all the hiding of bugs and issues from backers were the reason i had such high expectations i bought the aforementioned gear.

Another big issue i have is this:

User on pcarsforum

Custom championships a question for Mr Bell
Will this be added as a feature?

I know other are other posts asking this but can't see a response from anyone in the know, I think it would add a lot of depth to the game as some of my favourite cars (f gulf and lotus 78 don't have long championships) wondering if Mr Bell could let us know a yay or nay on this as it would add a lot to the game for both multi and single player

Loving the game by the way (just keep at those AI improvements though)

answer:

ian bell:Probably not sorry.

Also again guys with the 'need' word. A custom championship does not 'NEED' to be added by any means. You might 'like' it to be added, but that's an entirely different thing.

This is an attitude that "grinds my gears".

Currently, no, I don't think I would have.

I haven't had a single race in 72 hours play where I haven't encountered an issue or bug.

I don't want to buy any off-line racing game where all you can effectively do is hot lap, that's why I stopped buying GT games.

At this point I'm not convinced they will be able to fix the very many, almost random bugs that occur. I'm very much hoping they will prove me wrong on this point though.

Finally, I too really dislike Ian Bell's attitude but he was the same on the Shift forums years ago.

@azidahaka

Can you send me the link?

I heard that Ian, while sometimes help, but most of his replies to the question to problems are either unhelpful one liners, "snark british humour", and general take that to the questioners themselves. I saw these at pcars forums by myself.

Not to put a flame here.

@azidahaka

Can you send me the link?

I heard that Ian, while sometimes help, but most of his replies to the question to problems are either unhelpful one liners, "snark british humour", and general take that to the questioners themselves. I saw these at pcars forums by myself.

Not to put a flame here.
Figures, me too. It's here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?32381-Custom-championships-a-question-for-Mr-Bell

I can't understand how they are brushing off such an important feature that is basically already in at 70% with custom races... Or why they can't make the career have random weather so that replaying a season isn't a borefest...

I probably would have still bought it, but I'd be less disappointed.
Don't get me wrong, I think Project CARS is brilliant and I don't mind that it still has bugs, but I feel SMS/WMD were at best naive about the state of the game and at worst totally dishonest. I always felt like they were hiding something.

For a game that only needed "a polish" is sure does have a lot of dark stains. The odd bug here and there isn't a big deal, its the complete omission of features we were told would be in the game... that weren't.

Safety cars anyone?

*edit* and they are still lying to us now! Things they say are fixed in patch notes that turn out to still be broken.

I would still purchase pcars. At the end of the day it's still more fun then I have had with any other racing game. The only thing that bothers me is racing online, as it doesn't always accurately track all the cars. I have watched people who cross the finish line behind me, finish in front me on the final race results. This has happened a few times. Even with that I still will keep coming back, because it's fun.

Absolutely I would buy it again.
I have close to 400 hours in career mode and I'm still having fun every time I play.
I've found a good bunch of guys for online racing and we've now started leagues.

It's still the most fun I've had in single player mode since GT4.

Yes, but I've been in since the beginning. I knew what I was getting, and how much better it is now than 3 years ago. Also, on PC I don't have many bugs, and very few game-crashing/ending bugs. I'd say the last 6 months it's been very good to me.

That could be dumb luck. We get the occasional game crash (we run about 6 guys online, so in an evening it's a good chance one or two of us have some minor hiccup) and that 1.4 patch ruined our pit stops for a few weeks etc. But as far as being buggy and ruining the game - I'm fortunate enough to not see much of that.

I understand the console versions have been iffy, and I don't really play the career - so I could be missing a ton of bugs there.

There are a lot of features SMS talked about and tried to implement which never made it (I guessed that much as they were promising a TON of stuff - more than I thought they could deliver). There are also several missing features I'd really really like to see in the game.

On the whole though, while buggier than a standard console racer (what PC game isn't), it's the best racing game I've played and I don't regret the purchase.

This really should be separated by console and PC as the PC version doesn't have nearly as many issues. I really haven't experienced any major bugs in my time playing, and none of them interfered with the actual gameplay.

Also, what game isn't released with bugs? GT5/6 were both a mess at release and never reached a status that could be declared "complete and bug free". I believe Drive Club was a royal mess when it was released, but it's better now. Assetto Corsa doesn't have a lot of bugs, per say, but it's a woefully incomplete game that I've been far more disappointed in than pCARS. This is the world we live in, when games release they're incomplete and buggy but at some point down the road they reach an "acceptable" level. It sucks, but to expect any different is to set yourself up for disappointment.

I found this in the middle of that thread:

upload_2015-7-23_8-38-22.png

Yes, although maybe it would have been better to buy it now as i consider the career mode playable only after 2.0 was released (with all the AI/ rain issues). The game still needs updates and patches to get rid of the bugs that are left over and to add necessary features like working flags, multiclass racing and a mid race save function to make it complete IMO, but it is still the best all round racer money can buy nowadays notwithstanding those minor irritations.

And it does seem SMS keeps making an effort to continue improving the game month after month, which is commendable considering the launch didn't go very smoothly.

I understand the console versions have been iffy, and I don't really play the career - so I could be missing a ton of bugs there.

I have the PS4 version (Fanatec GT2 & G25 pedals), & to get 1 race done in Quick Race mode is all but impossible. After an hour of trying yesterday I just gave up.

This really should be separated by console and PC as the PC version doesn't have nearly as many issues. I really haven't experienced any major bugs in my time playing, and none of them interfered with the actual gameplay.

Maybe, but an overall idea of how people feel still is useful. And there are some people out there with bugs on the PC version too. However, in 'hindsight' maybe I should've done 3 sets of yes/no questions for each platform.

EDIT: I've asked the mods to delete the poll, will put a new one up with multiple options to account for different platforms.

👍

Last edited:
I read the whole thread from first page to last. I'm aware of this, but it really looks like "i'll say so to keep things quiet" answer if you readd all his other posts and not that only one.
You really think Ian is the kind of guy to say something just to keep peace and calm everyone down?

VBR
And there are some people out there with bugs on the PC version too.

Yes, the PC version isn't bug free but I think a lot of them have been ironed out and I've been lucky enough to not really experience many of them. From what I've seen, most of the people who are disappointed with the issues are on the consoles. That being said, the mess that is the FFB system has been my biggest issue and it's frustrating enough that I haven't even played it in the last couple weeks. I buy racing sims to drive/race, not to spend hours in settings menus.

You really think Ian is the kind of guy to say something just to keep peace and calm everyone down?

That's it, you're banned!! :lol:

Yes, the PC version isn't bug free but I think a lot of them have been ironed out and I've been lucky enough to not really experience many of them. From what I've seen, most of the people who are disappointed with the issues are on the consoles. That being said, the mess that is the FFB system has been my biggest issue and it's frustrating enough that I haven't even played it in the last couple weeks. I buy racing sims to drive/race, not to spend hours in settings menus.

Shhhh. I have to use my real name on the PCars forum so he doesn't know it's me...yet.:sly:

I've voted yes, it's the best game I've played by far.

However, I've benefited from the misfortune of others by avoiding parts of the game that were seriously bugged.

I haven't played online since the first couple of weeks. Don't miss it right now and is something to look forward to when they sort out better features for managing lobbies.

Patch 2.0 has made it a much better game for console players. The FFB improvement dealing with centre spring issue means I'm now able to take a harder look at tuning and have started playing career mode.

Previously I've been driving around in free practise and quick race weekend, I was having enough fun with that so as not to feel let down.

It would have been different if not for the devs' communication on PCars forum which I find remarkable and very assuring that the game will only get better.

Shhhh. I have to use my real name on the PCars forum so he doesn't know it's me...yet.:sly:

These quotes more or less make the circle completed :D

Seriously talking, he just said "we are looking what it will take to implement it". He didn't say at all they will work or are working on it, right? Imagine he says so all are happy and then after a few weeks he says "too busy/hard to implement, but it'll be featured in PCars2" (the latter part he already stated >_>).

That would close the case, but would you be satisfied? :D

He didn't say at all they will work or are working on it, right? Imagine he says so all are happy...

I think Mr. Bell has proven that he isn't one to just say something to keep everyone happy. If he said they'll look into it, I tend to believe him. But this is probably a feature that could be hard to implement if the game wasn't designed to support it from the beginning, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I am on PS4 and originally tried to use my Fanatec GT2 wheel so I voted NO.

I am very disappointed that after several goes at patches there are the same issues from day one:

* System crashes
* Invisible walls
* Cheating/aggressive AI
* Non-existent track limits (or may as well be)
* Time trials full of corner cutting
* and the rest I wont bore you all with.... again

I tried on my mate's PS4, random frequent crashes galore, my mate did fresh install and updated to the latest version at the time ( not sure which version, didn't check ), and when I borrowed the console for a few days, I only manage about 4 hours of total play time with some crashes/freezes. Most of the time spent on tuning / testing / experiment real life values and driving solo, and finding road cars a hit and miss in accuracy + tire pressure on certain cars like Audi R8 V10, Evo FQ400 and 1M are behaving "funny" when I tried real life values used at the track - might be due to the suspension too which can only get close to real value. The clio, 190E Evo II DTM, 1M and evo FQ400 are a bit of a mess and I would not buy the first Pcars, but might consider Pcars 2 after a few months, hoping the cars are more accurately build next time and more stable. Oh, and I use DS4 with no assist, which was unpleasant experience compared to DS2 of mine on GT6 as I have to tweak the settings to get what I wanted, but still not good enough, close though. Not difficult to drive with DS4, one of the old PSX game was still a lot harder ( the JGTC official game was "super duper hard" that makes Pcars a walk in the park )

Yea, just get it on release. I don't understand why people still preorder games. Can't think of the last time there was a shortage.

I don't normally preorder. I guess I got caught up in the hype lol. I won't buy Project CARS 2 until I know it's free of major bugs.

Yes I would, the bugs are getting sorted out and there is enough good to still keep me entertained in the mean time. I think the development team knows getting PC1 sorted is essential to the success of PC2 so, I trust all will be well soon.

The PC website is scary as $#%& and I don't understand some of the attitude from both sides.

Back