POLL: Project CARS in Hindsight?

• Thread starter VBR
  • 208 comments

If you knew back then what you know now, would you still have bought Project CARS?

• I have the PC & XB1 versions & vote NO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have the PS4 & XB1 versions & vote NO

• I have all versions & vote YES

• Total voters
Well said 👍 Most people including me judge the game by playing few hours. Sadly most of the reviews are not useful and forums are full of biased people taking sides
Wonder how @TT92 did that ? 42 seasons in 260 hrs...

I have over 340 hrs and only in the first month of my fourth career season (most races at 100% duration).

Edit: probably @TT92 did not compete in invitationals ? I did not miss one...

Last edited:
Hey guys, thought I would chime in on this thread as I wanted to vent a little.

To answer your question I would have to say no. Project Cars for me has been a complete seesaw experience, extreme highs extreme lows and not a lot in-between. I've encountered the worst bugs, I've toiled with the infuriating user interface, I've been slammed and rammed by the out of control AI and worst of all I believed Slightly Mads mission statement regarding continued development.

I'm on the PS4 and I bought in at launch. I tried my best to play through the career for a total of 21hrs during the first few weeks. Most sessions ended because the game broke or I'd just had enough of rain+AI races etc. I took a break for a few months and just today tried my luck again. Nothing seems to have changed. And then I found out Project Cars 2 has started its development phase!!!!

I mean wow. The game is a long long way from being finished and already their focus is on a new money making opportunity. At least that's how I feel. Since day one Project Cars felt like a game 'made for elitists, by elitists'. It never felt inviting, always felt convoluted, and the guys running the show over on wmd have the worst attitudes I've encountered.

As far as I can tell the PC guys have a much different experience to enjoy. They most likely have had their money's worth but personally I'm very disappointed. On balance I must say that there's been occasional races/moments of brilliance. The physics are undeniably brilliant and it's so satisfying to be part of a clean fast lobby of racers. When the your race is ended by an invisible wall centre track however.. Well. It's not good is it. Physics alone do not a great game make. And I'd really rather they fixed it instead of flushed it down the toilet to start work on a new one.

#wontbebuyingprojectcars2

...Probably.

My guess is you have not read about Patch 3...

The last 3 patches did not address the main bugs from release so is it 4th time lucky then?

I am quietly confident that this will be a lot better mainly because of the sheer volume of crash reports my machine (and others?) have sent to Sony. I would imagine Sony is putting pressure on SMS to get it right this time. Not to mention there will be a lot of people that will abandon the game permanently if it is not a lot better this time.

If Project cars could solve these very imported issue's (and I mean very imported issue's ) than at least this game is playable.

1 : Land mine off and online .
2 : invisibly wall's off and online .
3 : Loosing control over your car plus cars flip on his roof for no reason online and off .
4 : while on and offline racing ,game go's back to the main PS4 screen .

Last edited:
If Project cars could solve these very imported issue's (and I mean very imported issue's ) than at least this game is playable
Agreed. These issues could spoil the fun totally.
Thing is: I must be (one of the) very lucky, since I have not suffered any of them (yet), which is after +350 hrs.
I did hit something invisible while exiting the pits in Le Mans 24, which got me a DSQ for going the wrong way (I was not even in control of the car) and a few times in the Zolder pitlane, which destroyed my car.
But that's it. I never even had the Spa pitlane bug happen.

Hey guys, thought I would chime in on this thread as I wanted to vent a little.

To answer your question I would have to say no. Project Cars for me has been a complete seesaw experience, extreme highs extreme lows and not a lot in-between. I've encountered the worst bugs, I've toiled with the infuriating user interface, I've been slammed and rammed by the out of control AI and worst of all I believed Slightly Mads mission statement regarding continued development.

I'm on the PS4 and I bought in at launch. I tried my best to play through the career for a total of 21hrs during the first few weeks. Most sessions ended because the game broke or I'd just had enough of rain+AI races etc. I took a break for a few months and just today tried my luck again. Nothing seems to have changed. And then I found out Project Cars 2 has started its development phase!!!!

I mean wow. The game is a long long way from being finished and already their focus is on a new money making opportunity. At least that's how I feel. Since day one Project Cars felt like a game 'made for elitists, by elitists'. It never felt inviting, always felt convoluted, and the guys running the show over on wmd have the worst attitudes I've encountered.

As far as I can tell the PC guys have a much different experience to enjoy. They most likely have had their money's worth but personally I'm very disappointed. On balance I must say that there's been occasional races/moments of brilliance. The physics are undeniably brilliant and it's so satisfying to be part of a clean fast lobby of racers. When the your race is ended by an invisible wall centre track however.. Well. It's not good is it. Physics alone do not a great game make. And I'd really rather they fixed it instead of flushed it down the toilet to start work on a new one.

#wontbebuyingprojectcars2

...Probably.

You know, I agree about the UI (which is also the reason for the game not feeling inviting), AI and even the attitude of some people. But your rant about pcars2 and a lack of support for pcars1 just comes across as... uninformed. Sorry to say. There are far more devs working on pcars1 than pcars2 at the moment. I mean, look at this here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...elease-notes&p=1076329&viewfull=1#post1076329

Maybe you should come back after that patch is released and give it another try? The UI wont be much improved by then, sadly. And the invisible walls might still be there as well (people have been trying to track those down for 2 years or so, to no avail - I ve not encountered a single one of them on PS4 yet, for example). But overall, this patch will probably have a good impact and it proves SMS are still working hard on the game, at least.

I've run into only a couple of invisible walls so far but what's been happening lately is a gentle nudge, as if someone rear ended my car, only to find no one behind me. It's a strange one. Perhaps I'm being chased by ghosts?

I've run into only a couple of invisible walls so far but what's been happening lately is a gentle nudge, as if someone rear ended my car, only to find no one behind me. It's a strange one. Perhaps I'm being chased by ghosts?
Now that you mention that... I had it happen yesterday (RUF CTR invitational at Road America). I did not pay too much attention, because I had my hands full with a couple of AI, but yes, as you describe it...:odd:

Similar thing happened to me during my first ever foray into Career mode. After a few corners in race 1, I felt like I was nudged from behind, it spun me out & ended my race. Didn't know what had happened until I viewed the replay, my right rear wheel seemed to have run over something invisible. All I know is that this is a gamebreaker for me, & I won't be tyring Career mode again until it's fixed.

Another reason why I regret pre-ordering the game. I wish I'd waited a year or so until more bugs were fixed, & would've saved myself a few quid in the process.

:ouch:

Last edited:
Soo, even with patch 3.0 it is still too early to get it for any kind of decent online experience on a PC? I'm looking for something to take an occasional week off iRacing.

Last edited:
VBR
... Blah blah blah, moan whinge whine ....

Do you ever do anything but complain, I swear every post I've ever seen of yours, on here and the GT section, has been a complaint about something .... usually the same thing in different places over and over and OVER again repeatedly ..... is there an ignore button for you somewhere that I can't find ?

You seriously ruin my enjoyment of this forum.

Someone who keeps reading what he hates is called a masochist. Ignore button is super-easy to find to those who truly want to.

Last edited:
Do you ever do anything but complain, I swear every post I've ever seen of yours, on here and the GT section, has been a complaint about something .... usually the same thing in different places over and over and OVER again repeatedly ..... is there an ignore button for you somewhere that I can't find ?

It's called constructive criticism, & if you don't like it then yes you can add me to you ignore list.

I guess you missed this thread of mine huh!

;)

This is a public forum and VBR is sharing his experiences and opinions.

The invisible walls are a major game breaker and many of us do experience them and by sharing these experiences we get know we are not alone and it is a common problem.

BTW I too regret being an early adopter of this game too so add me to your block list as well ;-)

Soo, even with patch 3.0 it is still too early to get it for any kind of decent online experience on a PC? I'm looking for something to take an occasional week off iRacing.
Thanks guys for your replies, I take that as 'too early'.

It depends on what you are searching. If you just want to hop in some public races, you have to be lucky to find a whole field of people where everyone knows how to behave, just like in any racing game that isnt iracing. But if you join a league or know a bunch of good people, you can have great races. In general, except for the short stutter when somebody joins a session in progress, online works well on PC. On PC, there is already patch 2.5 out which contained several good fixes which are part of patch 3 for consoles, so the PC version is a bit ahead of those at the moment too.

Go check out the forums their are tons of people that are happy with it , it not perfect but game is . I have it on the PS4 and it runs fine , its got its little hicups but runs fine .

The PC version runs better from what i have read . Dont let 2 people's opinions scare you off
Thanks, but if those 2-3 people happen to be the ones I've raced with a lot on GT5, I'm taking their word.

It depends on what you are searching.
Ideally - a weeknight league/series with good organizational structure a-la SNAIL on GT5/6. Not seeing anything like that at the moment.

My guess is you have not read about Patch 3...

No not really, as a self confessed casual gamer I don't follow too much of the news regarding stuff like that. I've based my opinions thus far on personal experience.

You know, I agree about the UI (which is also the reason for the game not feeling inviting), AI and even the attitude of some people. But your rant about pcars2 and a lack of support for pcars1 just comes across as... uninformed. Sorry to say. There are far more devs working on pcars1 than pcars2 at the moment. I mean, look at this here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...elease-notes&p=1076329&viewfull=1#post1076329

Maybe you should come back after that patch is released and give it another try? The UI wont be much improved by then, sadly. And the invisible walls might still be there as well (people have been trying to track those down for 2 years or so, to no avail - I ve not encountered a single one of them on PS4 yet, for example). But overall, this patch will probably have a good impact and it proves SMS are still working hard on the game, at least.

You don't need to apologise, as said I'm somewhat of a casual racer and I've commented as such. As yet I don't feel like SMS has followed through on their promises. That may change, and fairly soon it may seem, but my message is relevant until the patch is released. The bottom line is that I felt there to be so much wrong with the game it outweighed the good enough for me to stop playing. Disappointing no?

I do hope they sort everything out and PCars becomes the fully realised game it deserves to be, but I couldn't help but think that fracturing the team to start work on a second title would be a detriment to that.

I've started playing again in spite of all the issues and I am trying to enjoy it as much as I can. But still the issues remain. Most gaming sessions end before I've achieved what I set out to. It's frustrating. Maybe I just need more patience, however more time for gaming isn't a luxury I can afford.

Wonder how @TT92 did that ? 42 seasons in 260 hrs...

I have over 340 hrs and only in the first month of my fourth career season (most races at 100% duration).

Edit: probably @TT92 did not compete in invitationals ? I did not miss one...

340hrs in first month. :eek::bowdown:

I even haven't done that in GT6 (I do not play online) and that is probably the most played game I have :embarrassed:

340hrs in first month. :eek::bowdown:

I even haven't done that in GT6 (I do not play online) and that is probably the most played game I have :embarrassed:
340 hrs are not in the first month of the game.
I was saying I was in the virtual first month of the fourth career season... :D

But yes, I play a lot.
I had 117.000 km on the Nürburgring (Nordschleife) alone, when I put an end to GT6... :lol:

I had 117.000 km on the Nürburgring (Nordschleife) alone, when I put an end to GT6... :lol:

giphy.gif

Thats about 4500 laps! Insanity!

I do not regret my purchase one bit, but I will closely examine the sequel before buying it.

Someday, whether it be PDI, T10, or SMS a perfect (IE - everything I am looking for) sim style racing game will be made and I stop buying three games.

Latest Posts

Back