POLL: Project CARS in Hindsight?

• Thread starter VBR
  • 208 comments

If you knew back then what you know now, would you still have bought Project CARS?

• I have the PC & XB1 versions & vote NO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have the PS4 & XB1 versions & vote NO

• I have all versions & vote YES

• Total voters
I voted X1 and no. That for me refers to the state of it on release and it's ongoing troubles

If it did all that it should and properly, it'd be a very good game

I would rather pay 60 dollars for 1000+ cars and 25+ tracks and a decent career mode with decent handling and physics.(would be referring to GT7).

I can't imagine GT7 having a decent career mode, the previous two installations of the game had possibly the worst career modes of any racing game IMO (especially GT6). Their concept of starting at the back and having 5 laps to force your way past a dozen rolling chicanes is almost insulting. And you should put an asterisk next that 1000+ cars considering the majority of them are going to be previous gen cars (with previous gen graphics, some of which will now be two generations old) ported to the new console, or just duplicates of the same car over and over and over and over again. Comparing the car count to Gran Turismo is apples to oranges. I currently have 6 racing sims, most of them have fewer cars and/or tracks than pCARS has, Gran Turismo is an outlier and if you're always going to compare to it's amount of content, you're always going to be disappointed.

I would have done that if I realized that this game was just a Project. In my opinion, this game is still in an early Beta phase. There are a lot of bugs, and parts of the career mode look like they were just strung together to give us something to do. Project CARS isn't even fully completed and they announce Project CARS 2? What has SMS become Activision?

And I have to pay for the DLC? You give me an incomplete Beta game for 60 dollars, and all I get is 65 cars and 30 tracks? I would rather pay 60 dollars for 1000+ cars and 25+ tracks and a decent career mode with decent handling and physics.(would be referring to GT7).

Its not just paying for the DLC, its the fact that they passed 1 million sales, which means they made at least $60 million, which means they should have at the very least $5 million for licensing, hiring more people so they don't spend 10 years modeling one car, etc...so what I'm saying is that with all the sales they made, they should have more free DLC.

But at this point it really doesn't matter. I already declared myself enslaved to them and have already given $70 to SMS, and plan on buying all the future DLC. And it's not like the Mods at the PCARS forum actually want constructive criticism...

1) you clearly dont understand game development if you're moaning about project cars 2. every studio will start the next project before they finish there current one. This is because not everyone in the studio is needed for post launch support. so ian had to options
option 1) fire 60 people then rehire them further down the line to release pcars 2 in 2020
option 2) move the staff over to start to devolp pcars 2 so 1, every one still has a jobe and 2, pcars2 comes out in 3/4 years time

2) correct me if im wrong but i believe paying for dlc is the norm. its more than 65 cars and we have more tracks than any other game. if you expected it to have large numbers of cars you missed the point of the game. project cars also has one of the best physics models. unlike gran turismo.

3) Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. they have to pay bandai namco which will take a share for distribution and marketing. then SMS will have to pay any bills or loans. they then have to split what's left with the backers who contributed most of the money and the staff. there's then also ongoing expenses like offices and utilities.

4) In terms of feedback it probably better putting it here so we can then put it directly into the wmd portal so its less likely to be lost or ignored.

1) you clearly dont understand game development if you're moaning about project cars 2. every studio will start the next project before they finish there current one. This is because not everyone in the studio is needed for post launch support. so ian had to options
option 1) fire 60 people then rehire them further down the line to release pcars 2 in 2020
option 2) move the staff over to start to devolp pcars 2 so 1, every one still has a jobe and 2, pcars2 comes out in 3/4 years time

2) correct me if im wrong but i believe paying for dlc is the norm. its more than 65 cars and we have more tracks than any other game. if you expected it to have large numbers of cars you missed the point of the game. project cars also has one of the best physics models. unlike gran turismo.

3) Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. they have to pay bandai namco which will take a share for distribution and marketing. then SMS will have to pay any bills or loans. they then have to split what's left with the backers who contributed most of the money and the staff. there's then also ongoing expenses like offices and utilities.

4) In terms of feedback it probably better putting it here so we can then put it directly into the wmd portal so its less likely to be lost or ignored.

Look at the post you've responded to. The guy has bought the game, all the DLC and reckons on buying all future DLC. That's hardly going to convince anyone it's not worth buying.

Imo, this type of defence of PCars from WMD members while keeping quiet about known issues and difficulties has exacerbated the negativity towards the game and does more harm for the title than a few gamers who disagree with or don't understand how the industry works.

To me it seems better to buy something once it is done and probably get a discount as well. It also sends a message to the maker that I don't buy just anything for full price. Meaning I would have felt regret in your situation.

Agreed it maybe would've been better to wait and maybe get a discount, but as I first stated...I have no self control when it comes to buying games, I wanted it so I bought it :)
And really I don't believe in regret, at the time I made a decision that made me happy.

I, for one, find it a bit refreshing to see someone who actually speaks his mind instead of just delivering some politically correct statement that gives no real info. I also know sarcasm when I see it, which apparently a lot of people are blind to. If I had to deal with the kind of nonsense and vitriol seen on that forum, I'd probably respond in the same way he does. In fact, I do it every day at work when I have to deal with the children salesmen here.

Oh, and I fixed your post for you. :sly: Critics who present their issues in a civilized, productive manner don't only avoid the banhammer, they often get engaged in constructive dialogue which has already helped fix some of the issues with the game. It's amazing what can be achieved when you behave like a rational person instead of having a fit and tossing your toys from the pram. 👍
1)Plenty of people with legitimate concerns and reasonable presentation have been sneered at.
2)Ian has loads of insulting posts to his name
3)trying to be sarcastic at an inappropriate time becomes insulting and is bad judgement

There is nothing refreshing about it.

1)Plenty of people with legitimate concerns and reasonable presentation have been sneered at.
2)Ian has loads of insulting posts to his name
3)trying to be sarcastic at an inappropriate time becomes insulting and is bad judgement

There is nothing refreshing about it.
Link a few of these legitimate concerns and reasonable presentations that were sneered at so we can see what you're talking about.

What would said 60 people do? Why couldn't they help model cars to speed up the process? But if they are workers to do a specific task that they can't currently do on PCARS, I understand that.

I understand that they usually start the next project before the current one is finished, but PCARS 2 has been openly announced. And they already said that there will be even more cars and tracks. Why can't we have some of those cars now on PCARS(or in the coming months)?

But I just have a problem with charging basically a beta game 60 dollars. I feel like I'm paying 30 dollars for the game, and 30 dollars to further fund SMS. And to be honest, I don't think Project CARS will ever reach a 'ready' stage. I think Project CARS 2 will be the real game. Project CARS was just like 'here's a game with a decent amount of cars, a large amount of tracks, and a good physics engine'. Not the 'well-rounded racing game that everyone's been waiting years for'.

I Voted No only because of the lack of Ovals
I only bought it as pre order because i beleived Rockingham Oval was in the game at launch ,so i could have waited untill the Oval DLC came out then bought the game

Im not saying i`m not enjoying the game ,just my head is not into learning road courses or GP circuits and i want to do something that i enjoy

Non-backer and PS4 player here.

I would've still bought - regardless the cumbersome pad settings, bugs and whatnot. It has provided me with some of the best racing (game) experiences in years and certainly spoiled me with its day/night cycle, rather extensive weather settings and options in general. Pretty much what I wanted out of the game.

No ragrets.

@TheBull : Thats kind of your own fault, though. The track lists were widely available at launch. No idea how you ever thought Rockingham would be in there...?! :odd:

I beleive i read the OP in track list on this forum some time before the launch and never checked untill its release

I voted ps4 and yes again, but here from WMD members there was just so much overselling. it was described as the game of the century, the pinnacle of videogames. Insert the disc and you will be teleported in SPA.

I'm not saying it's not good, i'm saying it has been overhyped and overselled so i expected aòmost a perfect product ( not so bugged i mean) ...maybe this feedback community stuff made people taking it too personal and speaking about the game like it was their son.

I beleive i read the OP in track list on this forum some time before the launch and never checked untill its release

Dude, I dont know how to break it to you but you must have misread. Rockingham was never planned. The ovals that will come as DLC are planned to be:

- Concord -
Charlotte Motor Speedway
- Daytona International Speedway

- Delaware - Dover
- Henrico - Richmond
- Indianapolis Speedway
- Memphis - Bristol

There were never any other ovals in the game during the development phase. Maybe you misread Richmond as Rockingham?

It's still by far the best racer i have been on and loving it, so i vote Yes.

Track limits and the amount of bugs is disappointing tho.
I see your name as the world's fastest on some tracks, do you partake in the track cutting shenanigans? Is it the only way to get top times?

Dude, I dont know how to break it to you but you must have misread. Rockingham was never planned. The ovals that will come as DLC are planned to be:

- Concord -
Charlotte Motor Speedway
- Daytona International Speedway
- Delaware -
Dover
- Henrico - Richmond
- Indianapolis Speedway
- Memphis -
Bristol

There were never any other ovals in the game during the development phase. Maybe you misread Richmond as Rockingham?

I am pretty sure it was in the opening post ,you will have to ask the Author as its been edited a few times since it was first written

I see your name as the world's fastest on some tracks, do you partake in the track cutting shenanigans? Is it the only way to get top times?

No my times are clean, but we have wall rides and track cutters at the top of some tracks, thats whats really disappointing.

Imo, this type of defence of PCars from WMD members while keeping quiet about known issues and difficulties has exacerbated the negativity towards the game and does more harm for the title than a few gamers who disagree with or don't understand how the industry works.
I understand that they usually start the next project before the current one is finished, but PCARS 2 has been openly announced. And they already said that there will be even more cars and tracks. Why can't we have some of those cars now on PCARS(or in the coming months)?

But I just have a problem with charging basically a beta game 60 dollars. I feel like I'm paying 30 dollars for the game, and 30 dollars to further fund SMS. And to be honest, I don't think Project CARS will ever reach a 'ready' stage. I think Project CARS 2 will be the real game. Project CARS was just like 'here's a game with a decent amount of cars, a large amount of tracks, and a good physics engine'. Not the 'well-rounded racing game that everyone's been waiting years for'.

We cant hide issues we did not know about. while yes there bugs on pc. There are a hell of a lot less on pc than the consoles. none of the wmd members tested the console versions. We had to put faith in the qa system for consoles. clearly something went wrong, we wmd members were just as angry as the console version isn't close to what we were experiencing.

in response to the cars many of the cars that are being released as dlc, have been in development for a few months. there maybe a chance that new licenses make there way to PCArs 1 but dont shocked if they don't as it's often down to manufacturers and time.

No my times are clean, but we have wall rides and track cutters at the top of some tracks, thats whats really disappointing.
In that case, very well played 👍. I assumed people's Nurburgring GP times would involve some cutting around turns 2/3, but I've not tested the limits myself, so perhaps you can't get away with it.

Still really wish consoles would give us different car/class times as I rarely race FA cars.

In that case, very well played 👍. I assumed people's Nurburgring GP times would involve some cutting around turns 2/3, but I've not tested the limits myself, so perhaps you can't get away with it.

Still really wish consoles would give us different car/class times as I rarely race FA cars.

The main cut on that track was the chicane at the end, i think thats been fixed now but all cut time are still on the leaderboards as all other tracks.

So yet again the leaderboards are not true, Bathurst im like 2secs off because of people wall riding, its a joke.

I own the PC version and I would buy it again, but maybe not as early as I have.

If I compare pCARS with my other main sim, which is Assetto Corsa, I find it to be inferior to AC, but I do think that pCARS has a very good basis, but ultimately failed to deliver everything I have hoped for.

But if you really were to compare AC with pCARS, then I think you'll quickly find certain aspects of the game, that are better than AC, but also a lot of things that are worse. So, in general, I think that if someone really likes racing games, then one wouldn't be disappointed by the game.

But I still refuse to by DLC's at this point.

Last edited:
Yes, but only because it's the only choice for a racing sim on PS4 and that is where my friends are. If I had a choice on PS4, I'd go elsewhere.

Back