The 2017 Formula 1 calendar development threadFormula 1 

Yeah, I've always been of the belief that a world championship should have at least one race in Africa.
I have a soft spot for Marrakech purely because of PC racing sims, even though it had a really simple layout. :dopey:

Judging by the growing orange army at the Belgium GP over the last couple of years, it makes sense, if only to cash in on the hype.

Huh that's a surprise. FIA F1 execs having conversations with the city of Rotterdam for a street circuit. First we/I expected maybe Zandvoort, TT Assen or the new Almere Circuit. Then there was a rumour for a street circuit in Amsterdam. And now this:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-begins-talks-to-hold-dutch-street-race-963828/

I guess street circuits cost less all year round and put the customers bang in the middle of the shopping areas. Rotterdam's nicer than Amsterdam (imo Amsterdam is a bit tired around the edges), and only a few minutes from Europort :D

Well with Verstappen being so popular and good it was only a matter of time till the Dutch had their GP back.

I guess street circuits cost less all year round and put the customers bang in the middle of the shopping areas.
This is pretty much it. Liberty has said they want to bring the sport to the fans to make it more accessible, and convincing a city government to set up a temporary street circuit is likely a lot easier and cheaper than getting a national government to set up a purpose-built track that sits unused most of the year, or negotiating with the owners of an existing track to pony up for the required upgrades to accomodate them.

I have no problem with this I love city circuits, those tilke dromes are freaking boring.

On the other hand I won't be watching next year or anytime soon, because of the "cage"... so :lol:

Yeah, I don't think an Amsterdam street circuit would work, but hey, would be cool if it does happen. Don't get why they can't just upgrade and use Zandvoort

It's hideously expensive and there's a possibility the track simply can't be upgraded to FIA Grade 1 specifications.

It's probably the Zandvoort fanboy in me speaking. Amsterdam would be a terrible place for a street circuit, I think, but let's see.

Welp.

Zandvoort is still seriously considering getting the work done to bring back F1. Investigating talks this week proved fruitful.
And if money is the issue we have a circuit CEO who also has at least 120 real estate appartements/houses in Amsterdam. aka Prince van Oranje Nassau Bernard Jr. ;)

Sounds like interlagos might go soon... classic track. F1 moves around so much wouldn't be surprised. Would be cool to see Brazil replaced with Austin and another USA race at another point on calendar The north American gp. Minneapolis Minnesota. :sly:

Sounds like interlagos might go soon... classic track. F1 moves around so much wouldn't be surprised. Would be cool to see Brazil replaced with Austin and another USA race at another point on calendar The north American gp. Minneapolis Minnesota. :sly:
As I mentioned in the Brazilian GP thread, the immediate concern over security (and even the general instability of Brazil as a whole right now) and the fact that the track is currently up for sale are the most likely reasons Interlagos would be going soon. I doubt they'd add in another North American stop though, not with Amsterdam and Zandvoort still being the major topics of conversation right now.

Assen circuit just passed a first test, a computer simulation, run by the FIA. The layout and width of the track are up to code for F1.

They're going to continue testing next year.

This is somewhat positive, that they don't have to alter the layout of the track.

I can see MotoGP vetoing F1 at Assen. It's a bike circuit that they love, and they dont want F1 cars "ruining" it by making the braking points bumpy.

The layout may not change, but they would need to upgrade other stuff to make it FIA Grade 1. The sensible thing would be to edit some ends of straights so you have something like turn 6 at Shanghai, where there is a motorbike layout and a car layout separately. Thus allowing both to cooperate without ruining each other.

Seeing how it's pretty much a done deal, does anyone have a map of the track? All I can find is a ****** Formula E track.

Seeing how it's pretty much a done deal, does anyone have a map of the track? All I can find is a ****** Formula E track.
I would expect it to be a variation of that track, as it is where they used to hold Indy races too.

I would expect it to be a variation of that track, as it is where they used to hold Indy races too.

The Formula E circuit was hardly 2km, so it would be so different from that, that it would be a stretch to call it a variation. The Indycar circuit was in the same region as the FE track, at Biscayne Park early on and then further down the road later on, but they never ran a circuit similar to FE.

Assen circuit just passed a first test, a computer simulation, run by the FIA. The layout and width of the track are up to code for F1.

They're going to continue testing next year.

This is somewhat positive, that they don't have to alter the layout of the track.

Was there anything further on this?

Baku works as a street circuit because more than 50% of the corners are not 90-degree corners. Downtown Miami has little to no variety, and will only produce something abysmal like Phoenix did. Just going from Google Earth, there is absolutely nowhere in Downtown Miami that looks like it would produce anything interesting. Formula E did one race there, on a track that was 8 90-degree corners only, and quickly decided to never come back.

Tilke has a tough job ahead of him to make something vaguely interesting. We don't need another Sochi.

Agreed. You need that ****ed up old city planning for some variation. Perhaps Boston is a better candidate for a street circuit.

or, or, how about this one?
gEpAfHAeR37UY6zocSMdcGbncgdfeZNIOAdGooMOQbU.jpg

That is not too bad.

Edit .

I knew I had seen that before. :lol:

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back