The 2017 Formula 1 calendar development threadFormula 1 

Does anyone know if the Monza layout change is actually going ahead?
monza-new-circuit-f1-fanatic-2017.gif

If there is a chicane at the Curva "Grande", you don't immediately need another one before the Lesmos.

If there is a chicane at the Curva "Grande", you don't immediately need another one before the Lesmos.
You do, they can't expand the runoff at Lesmo 1 far enough to cope with a lengthened straight/

You do, they can't expand the runoff at Lesmo 1 far enough to cope with a lengthened straight/
IMG_7579.PNG

They might be able to expand but environmental agencies would probably disapprove and it would still not be enough for the speed increase.

View attachment 634471

They might be able to expand but environmental agencies would probably disapprove and it would still not be enough for the speed increase.
What we don't know is the infrastructure there, which bits the circuit owns, and what the condition of the ground there is. For all we know, there might be an unexploded bomb, or a pond of some sort in there that obstructs any development there without significant investment.

Variante Della Roggia may be a chicane, but in terms of slow chicanes, it's not too bad. As much as the circuit would work with it removed, it's not too bad, and I don't mind it staying.

Variante Della Roggia may be a chicane, but in terms of slow chicanes, it's not too bad. As much as the circuit would work with it removed, it's not too bad, and I don't mind it staying.

In which case you don't need one midway through a chopped Curva "Grande". Two chicanes is too many for that section of the track in my opinion.

In which case you don't need one midway through a chopped Curva "Grande". Two chicanes is too many for that section of the track in my opinion.
It is, but sadly, that's how it has to be. I've already touched on it previously that the chicane is at that point because of the location of the bridge. The modifications have been done because bikes weren't too happy with the first chicane, so the modification was made to make them happy - like Silverstone. What I would say though, is that the new first corner will be incredible with the chicane there making it even trickier. It'll be nice to see something different there, and we just have to take the Roggia chicane with a grain of salt.

Would it not be possible to build the new chicane for bike racing but retain the Curva Grande for car and open-wheel racing?

A couple of tracks like Indianapolis, Sears Point and Valencia have separate configurations for cars and bikes.

This is another one of those time when well just have to "wait and see". I mean, when was the last time Monza hosted a good race in F1? Surely this change can't make it worse.

I mean, when was the last time Monza hosted a good race in F1?

I know I'm in the minority on it but my opinion on Monza is much like my opinion on the old Hockenheimring; I enjoy the power circuits. I enjoy the spectacle. I love seeing the cars blast down a straight at over 200mph and fly through medium-to-high speed corners like Hockenheimring T1 and the Lesmos. Two or three times a year I love a race where it's a straight line fight.

I give full concession that they don't always produce lots of overtaking but to me that's not the be-all and end-all standard bearer of what makes a great race.

It seems logical to add the new configuration whilst retaining the old one, it's not like they can't do that, but you're right we'll just have to wait and see.

It seems logical to add the new configuration whilst retaining the old one, it's not like they can't do that, but you're right we'll just have to wait and see.
Logical, yes, but I have heard that it's not actually possible.

As opposed to retaining it and making the resurfaced throughfare part of the new/bike configuration?

Strange.

Well whatever, I think the new turn 1 will be amazing, and I'm happily waiting to see it in action.

Mainly because they're removing the first chicane completely.
You'd think they'd be able to reverse the first chicane so that it's a left-right instead of a right-left. That way both configurations could exist.

What I would say though, is that the new first corner will be incredible with the chicane there making it even trickier.
We can only hope so.

Watching the pre-qualifying and pre-race coverage, Simon Lazenby keeps mentioning that the New York race "could happen sooner than we think", but he isn't saying anything more.

Watching the pre-qualifying and pre-race coverage, Simon Lazenby keeps mentioning that the New York race "could happen sooner than we think", but he isn't saying anything more.

Considering most people are probably thinking "never", he may not be wrong. :lol:

And if you have, you've probably got about fifteen minutes left to live.

Worth it

Adelaide talking up the idea of stealing the Grand Prix away from Melbourne:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128508/adelaide-interested-in-f1-return

With the current Melbourne contract expiring in 2023, this feels more like the South Australians trying to get some positive press given the energy supply problems they've been having.

Indeed, definitely won't happen.

If the race did go back to Adelaide, can it be on the full course with Rundle Road and Dequetteville Terrace or will it have to be on the short version they've had for 17 years or so?

If the race did go back to Adelaide, can it be on the full course with Rundle Road and Dequetteville Terrace or will it have to be on the short version they've had for 17 years or so?
The full circuit will no longer be possible due to new infrastructure developments on and leading up to the Rundle Road/Dequetteville Terrace section.

6g6AnAbh.jpg

That leaves us with the current Supercars layout, which would be far too short. Hell, even the original layout would be too short for modern F1 cars. Plus major work would have to be done to the pit facilities and we already passed up the opportunity to upgrade them to a permanent structure a few years back.

Last edited:
Back