The Grand Tour game

I'm gonna go ahead and put my flame suit on and say I actually like the idea. A bit of light-hearted entertainment using a controller when you're feeling too lazy to get your rig set up and put a few hours hard graft in. Would hopefully include some novel TG-style challenges, and the weekly updates could keep it fresh enough to play even if it's only an hour or two a week.

Good job I'm not a graphics man!

Last edited:
Graphics-wise I don't think it looks that bad, it's not a Forza or GT Sport but it looks decent enough in motion. I do worry about the handling though.

I also worry that they're planning to release updates each week. Have they tried going through console certification before? Because I imagine being the release manager for this project is going to be very stressful.

Graphics-wise I don't think it looks that bad, it's not a Forza or GT Sport but it looks decent enough in motion. I do worry about the handling though.

I also worry that they're planning to release updates each week. Have they tried going through console certification before? Because I imagine being the release manager for this project is going to be very stressful.
I would guess working with Amazon they would be told about what is planned for the show then make it all ahead of time. Then they can just send all the parts off for certification before the first episode is even released on Amazon prime.

Alternatively, they could try the GTA Online approach and drip-feed installed content over the weeks, with patches featuring new content releasing every month or so.

Wasn't James driving a LaFerrari in the episode featuring the holy trinity? Could this imply that they could not obtain license from Ferrari? :(

Jeremy was driving a McLaren P1, Richard was driving a Porsche 918 and James was "driving" a Ferrari LaFerrari (at least as much as Ferrari would let him). It was a great first episode to the series. Rewatched it just before the second season was released and will probably rewatch it again just before the third season is released.

Wasn't James driving a LaFerrari in the episode featuring the holy trinity? Could this imply that they could not obtain license from Ferrari? :(

As for licensing, no clue lol

Honestly, I really liked the idea of this game.

...up until I've learned that there will be powerups. Never liked them, never will. Not even a fun arcade-ish racing game with commentary from TGT trio themselves won't make me swallow down that garbage.
Now I'm just hoping it's not gonna be mario Kart with real life cars.

Preview from Gamescom 2018 on the IGN website:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/08/...gamescom-2018?abthid=5b7e6d0344b91c0236000891

IGN The Grand Tour Game Preview
The final challenge was nicknamed 'Hammond’s Clean Pants' and is based on one the episode's other races, driving around a track in a McLaren P1 – a car so fast Hammond might ‘poo himself’. So your challenge is to prevent that from happening, by driving a clean lap. Every time you skid off, Hammond shouts ‘Oh, poo!’ and you’re awarded a turd emoji...

Honestly, I really liked the idea of this game.

...up until I've learned that there will be powerups. Never liked them, never will. Not even a fun arcade-ish racing game with commentary from TGT trio themselves won't make me swallow down that garbage.
Now I'm just hoping it's not gonna be mario Kart with real life cars.
Well it is a silly, 4-player split screen racing game with power ups and real cars, so yes, Mario Kart with real cars sounds about right. That really isn't a bad thing, Bizarre Creations's Blur was an excellent Mario Kart with real cars, which is sadly doomed to die with its consoles as it's no longer on Steam or digitally available anywhere.

OK, I think it would be absolutely hilarious if they did stuff like old exotic cars that break down and that kind of thing. I mean, it could really be a ton of laughs. Assuming it's like a $9 mobile game or something. I don't think they could pull off anything like a serious sim, but funny challenges that maybe get updated (like special events in modern racing sims)? Personally I would probably enjoy that a lot.

The graphic of this game looks like a mobile game.
But the holy Lada excites me. Yeah, Lada!

It will be difficult for this game to succeed.
However, if The Grand Tour style ridiculous cars are waiting for me, I will definitely purchase this game.

I wonder if Clarkson and Co will actually be playable characters, as in appear in the game and be controllable.

If it's going to be one of those games with some voice or fmv clips tacked on to a cheaply made car game then it's going to suck.

I'm going to go ahead and assume this will be as terrible as it sounds.

Forza Horizon and some friends largely covers the whole 'Top Gear ( / TGT ) Challenge' thing, arbitrarily trying to make a game that's part of the show seems like a real waste of money. Oh I'm sure it sounded like a brilliant idea to some investors, and probably the presenters too, as they're old and doubtless find the whole moving pictures thing remarkable, but it's all just marketing, it will have no depth whatsoever.

At best it'll be marginally entertaining THE FIRST TIME. Every single time after that it'll be utter, utter dross.

Still, good luck to them, hope it funds a 4th season.

Latest Posts

Back