The Weather Thread

• Thread starter dbartucci
  • 12,558 comments
High of 3°F today, but going down to -25°F overnight. Tomorrow is the cold one, -17°F hi/-27°F low. I'm hoping work will tell us to stay home.

If I do have to go in, I'm glad my car got a brand new battery a couple months ago.

Well, my college cancelled classes again for tomorrow. Currently it's -22F however the wind chill is -59F :ill:

Well, my college cancelled classes again for tomorrow. Currently it's -22F however the wind chill is -59F :ill:

bOgpzs.gif

We had the most pathetic snow I've ever seen last night, it only really settled on the cars and some of the shaded areas of nearby fields. It's currently 36°F (2°C) though so it's not that cold which is nice.

It's colder in Dayton OH than in Calgary over by the Rocky Mountains. What the hell.

It's colder in Dayton OH than in Calgary over by the Rocky Mountains. What the hell.

Calgary actually has fairly mild winters by Canadian standards though, except they have to deal with the odd snowfall in June though.

-39°C In Winnipeg this morning, so cold I could feel my jacket freeze as I walked into work. Everything has a layer of frost on it, it looks another planet. We've been between -25 to -30's C(-10s to -30s F) for the last few weeks now, with the odd nice day during the week. I am waiting for -16C on Saturday so I can finally take my dog for a walk! It's going to feel like summer after these last few weeks.

We had the most pathetic snow I've ever seen last night, it only really settled on the cars and some of the shaded areas of nearby fields. It's currently 36°F (2°C) though so it's not that cold which is nice.

A friend from here that's studying over in London got a real laugh out of the local news calling for "Arctic" temperatures that equated to 3°C as she was watching all the footage of our massive drop of snow. We had an entire highway shut down on Monday, with cars running out of gas and needing to be towed off.

With windchill we're just above -30°C right now. Amazingly it's going to swing back up to your temperature by Sunday. That should give Toronto a nice blanket of ice to contend with on Super Bowl Sunday...

A friend from here that's studying over in London got a real laugh out of the local news calling for "Arctic" temperatures that equated to 3°C as she was watching all the footage of our massive drop of snow. We had an entire highway shut down on Monday, with cars running out of gas and needing to be towed off.

With windchill we're just above -30°C right now. Amazingly it's going to swing back up to your temperature by Sunday. That should give Toronto a nice blanket of ice to contend with on Super Bowl Sunday...

The weather reports we get in the UK are hilarious, especially in winter. Every time it gets cold it's described as an "arctic blast" or something equally as stupid, meanwhile I'm out mountain biking in the snow in my shorts, cycling jersey and hoodie. It's really not that cold. The pictures in this article sum everything up quite nicely for my area: https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/weather/snow-and-sleet-falls-across-norfolk-1-5871407

Having said that I did almost slide off a road in the snow last winter, but I blame the car for being an automatic with low tread on the tyres ;)

EDIT: I have a friend who lives in Scotland, this was a few years ago now but he's doing it right

RRL7rp.jpg

Last edited:
It is hilarious how our media are going hysterical over -4C whilst the US is in the midst of some sort of apocalypse!

It is hilarious how our media are going hysterical over -4C whilst the US is in the midst of some sort of apocalypse!
It's currently -10°F (-23°C) here and that is a toaster oven for some people at the moment given the actual temps are in other parts of the US. At this point, anything above freezing would essentially feel like a blast furnace to most people dealing with the cold. :lol:

Meanwhile here in north-western Italy, the media are going nuts for an upcoming "arctic blast" of about -8°C, which is low for our standards but can't compare even remotely to what is happening in the US, which seems almost apocalyctic indeed.

However, we haven't had any kind of rain, or anything watery falling from the sky, since early december (except for that one day of light snow last week). Air is getting unbreathable, though the rest of Italy has actually been covered in snow and rain for the last two weeks. Can't figure out the weather at all.

Reached our high of -13°F here. With that and the sun, my furnace was actually able to finally catch up to the set temperature and take a much deserved break.

Still, it's so cold here they have to set fire to the train tracks: :lol:

except they have to deal with the odd snowfall in June though.
That I did not know. Do you know why? Something to do with winds flowing down the mountains or something? Does the summer weather still come from the west up there?

Does pollution come under weather? If so, the air quality here sucks balls this week. Thanks, China.

Temperature wise, it’s rather warm, as usual.

That I did not know. Do you know why? Something to do with winds flowing down the mountains or something?

Correct. When it does snow in June it because tof cool air from the mountains, it'll drop the overnight temps close to freezing. When the conditions are right you wake up to snow, but it'll be gone in a few hours once the sun gets going.

Wake up to snow, have drinks on a patio by noon, weird weather.

Last edited:
It was -3 F here. My friends and I tried to throw boiling water outside, hoping it would look cool, but it only turned to steam. Apparently it needs to be -20 F for it to turn into snow.

Everything is frozen. Cars, nature, roads, buildings, e-ve-ry-thing.

I had the folding mirrors on the Hyundai fail to open up when unlocking the car for the first time yesterday morning, and the Focus is basically frozen shut at this point as it hasn't been used for so long. It was 23°F/-5°C this morning which was enough to make the small side roads slippery but didn't feel as cold as yesterday due to the lack of wind.

TB
View attachment 796467

The single digits below look good but the feels like -44, not so much.

Why does it list -2/-6 underneath the moon icon there? I always thought they represented the high/low for the day but they're clearly a bit far off in your example :lol: On mine they're fairly accurate for today.

Why does it list -2/-6 underneath the moon icon there? I always thought they represented the high/low for the day but they're clearly a bit far off in your example
It looks like those are the temps for tomorrow.

Above zero today as there are right now 3°C. Forecasts say that starting this evening, around 6 pm, there will be snow until Saturday night, the biggest snowfall in the last 6 years. After the dryest winter I can recall. Still trying to figure out the weather, it's too weird this winter.

Back