The Weather Thread

• Thread starter dbartucci
  • 12,561 comments
So after there being no day in July where anywhere in the UK reached over 30 degrees (last happened in 2011) on the very last day its suddenly 37.8C :scared:

The hottest day of the year so far and the 3rd hottest day on record.

Last edited:
Glasgow beer garden being ironic...

08F4FBC2-5B74-4FE1-8B82-7B5BEADE94AB.jpeg

105 was the official temp in SLC today, breaking a record from 2008 and setting the highest temp since 2013. It's also only the 13th time since records have been kept that SLC officially hit 105.

Not going to complain though since in four months it'll be cold and snowy.

A nice typical Belgian summer day. Clouds, lots of sun but still not too warm compared to the day before yesterday.

The UK could potentially have its hottest day ever in the coming days breaking the 38.5C (101.3F) record set on the 25th July 2019 in Cambridge. Temperatures are predicted to hit 39C or even 40C (104F).

Between 35°C and 40°C today.

EDIT: 39°C to be exact and not in the sun.

Last edited:
The UK could potentially have its hottest day ever in the coming days breaking the 38.5C (101.3F) record set on the 25th July 2019 in Cambridge. Temperatures are predicted to hit 39C or even 40C (104F).

If it's Heathrow again I'll just laugh!

The BBC are foretelling the doom of sleepless 'tropical' nights:
Warm temperatures are also expected overnight, with a number of so-called tropical nights - when temperatures stay above 20C - forecast for the coming days.

Such nights used to be rare. Between 1961 and 1990 there were just eight nights that exceeded that mark.

But the mercury is predicted to stay between 19 and 22C in some areas until next Wednesday night, meaning people in the UK could be facing difficult sleeping conditions for several nights to come.

First, 20C+ is not 19C+, that's cheating!

Second, where are these "some areas"? I looked at their own forecasts and could only find that Heathrow and Ashford (in terms of forecasting, effectively the same place) are forecast to be 20C tonight and Tuesday night (18, 19, 19 for the nights between). Everywhere else I looked is forecast lower, no other 20s. At best you could describe it as "one area" (yet smaller than most counties), but really it's just one location :rolleyes:

For reference, I'm not all that far from Heathrow, as far inland, and the forecast here is 18, 16, 18, 17, 18. Should be OK as long as the house and drive don't soak up too much heat during the day... in the hot spell earlier this year a couple of nights didn't drop below 26C (on the wall outside) - that was uncomfortable.

First, 20C+ is not 19C+, that's cheating!

Second, where are these "some areas"? I looked at their own forecasts and could only find that Heathrow and Ashford (in terms of forecasting, effectively the same place) are forecast to be 20C tonight and Tuesday night (18, 19, 19 for the nights between). Everywhere else I looked is forecast lower, no other 20s. At best you could describe it as "one area" (yet smaller than most counties), but really it's just one location :rolleyes:

For reference, I'm not all that far from Heathrow, as far inland, and the forecast here is 18, 16, 18, 17, 18. Should be OK as long as the house and drive don't soak up too much heat during the day... in the hot spell earlier this year a couple of nights didn't drop below 26C (on the wall outside) - that was uncomfortable.
These kinds of conditions are typical during the Australian summer.

Previous years, actually as long as I can remember, I never mind temperatures above 30°C but this year, I do. Maybe my ego is going away? Ego of not wanting to admit that 30°C is too hot.

It's going to be a lot more than 30°C this weekend and next week until Wednesday.

A Heathrow record is always kinda cheating,

Miles of tarmac with jet engines near a major city, how could it possibly be hotter!

Yeah I also saw that, the 'doom' is what half of the world have each and every night :lol:

Sunday was a pretty wild day here, and I didn't even know it was supposed to be that active :irked:

IMG_20200810_170654.jpg

Those warnings weren't all active at once by the way :lol:

Red Flag Warning
...RED FLAG WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO 10 PM AKDT THIS EVENING FOR HOT DRY AND WINDY CONDITIONS FOR THE ANCHORAGE BOWL... * Winds...North 15 mph with gusts up to 35 mph. * Timing...Saturday afternoon and evening * Relative Humidity...25 to 35 percent. * Temperatures...Mid to upper 70s. * Location...Anchorage and locations along the Glenn Highway. * Impacts...Rapid ignition, growth and spread of fires will be possible.

Is smoke weather? Because that's the weather here today. I can't even see the mountains it's so smoky, and the PPM is supposed to be something like 200 by mid-day which puts in firmly in the category of "unhealthy for everyone". I had to run to the pharmacy this morning and just the walk to my car made my eyes, nose, and throat sting. It's sufficiently gross outside. Couple that with 100+ temps and inside in the A/C sounds fantastic.

Is smoke weather? Because that's the weather here today. I can't even see the mountains it's so smoky, and the PPM is supposed to be something like 200 by mid-day which puts in firmly in the category of "unhealthy for everyone". I had to run to the pharmacy this morning and just the walk to my car made my eyes, nose, and throat sting. It's sufficiently gross outside. Couple that with 100+ temps and inside in the A/C sounds fantastic.
The smoke situation on the west coast is crazy...

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/147151/wildfire-smoke-shrouds-the-us-west

If it is that bad where you are @Joey D , I would not fancy being in between San Jose and LA right now...

https://i0.wp.com/www.mercurynews.c...0/08/20200819000000_smokycyclones_cropped.gif

The smoke situation on the west coast is crazy...

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/147151/wildfire-smoke-shrouds-the-us-west

If it is that bad where you are @Joey D , I would not fancy being in between San Jose and LA right now...

https://i0.wp.com/www.mercurynews.c...0/08/20200819000000_smokycyclones_cropped.gif

Ya this is what it looked like this morning here:

fDRKPqQ.jpg

I talked to a buddy of mine who lives near LA and he said it was similar there as well, it also smells awful due to all the smog and smoke mixing together.

I really wish the government took this stuff seriously. I get many of these wildfires were naturally causes due to lightning, but many are human causes. Also, states and the BLM could do a better job of doing prescribed burns to minimize the fire risk.

Back