Time Trial Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter El_Beardo
  • 2,194 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the top 10 with a 7th position 1:53.778
I did a little change to my setting because i was losing time in the fast left right left turn after turn 1. My car had a very good turn in but the rear wasn't easy to control and inducing a very little drift slowing the car up hill.
I low the rear ARB and raise the front ride height a bit . The car is now easy to place and the turn in is still good anywhere else.
Perhaps alliens will prefer the first one or even much more loose , but for me at my level , it's better like this .
A little change 3rd and 4th gear too.
For the gearbox : IMPORTANT , SHIFT AT 6000 or 6500 RPM
Set final gear at 3,200
Then top speed minimum at 200 kmh / 124 mph
Then set each gear ratio
Then set final gear again to 2.500
Done. Good luck , have a good fun and a good drive.
><(((((°>°°°°°°°

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20190913193912.jpg

Gran Turismo®SPORT_20190913193926.jpg

I’ve got the NSX down to a 41.2XX, I know I can get into the 40’s but I haven’t made a super clean pass yet. Optimal is at 41.0XX right now. This is actually kinda fun. :)

Edit: Slight improvement. :)
044739A0-E821-4238-864C-4D4A10ECD6E3.jpeg

Edit 2: Scored a little more, that’s it for me for tonight. Fun combo! :)
CAB635D7-F352-4589-822B-FBCA1E4049A3.jpeg

Optimal is now 40.607, I’ll be back. :D

Last edited:
Here is a first quick tune for the Yamagiwa TT , i have a 1: 54.296 and a 6th position with it for the moment but a lot of room if nailing the 2 chicanes and fast left right left of the circuit.Low 53 reachable i think.
Perhaps others evolutions of the tune during TT duration.

For the gearbox : IMPORTANT , SHIFT AT 6000 RPM
Set final gear at 3,200
Then top speed minimum at 200 kmh / 124 mph
Then set each gear ratio
Then set final gear again to 2.500
Done. Good luck , have a good fun and a good drive.
><(((((°>°°°°°°°

View attachment 850394

I saw high-road-S' replay and his GTO's nose is pointing at the sky, just like the Civic event again. Do you think reverse rake setup is worth exploring for this combo?

I'd fully respect it as well if you only tune cars within the bounds of reality and not try to exploit bugs of the physics engine 👍

I saw high-road-S' replay and his GTO's nose is pointing at the sky, just like the Civic event again. Do you think reverse rake setup is worth exploring for this combo?

I'd fully respect it as well if you only tune cars within the bounds of reality and not try to exploit bugs of the physics engine 👍
Perhaps it is a bit too much saying "nose is pointing at the sky". Others settings have to be considered together with rake at this level.
Here is the high-road-s' car , his front is just a few higher than te rear. This is not enough to say "bugs of the physics engine" in my opinion.

20190914083213.jpg

This is what could be seen in GT6 , a max frent RH mini rear RH.
20190914083338.jpg

And my car .
20190914083223.jpg

Here are the top 7 picture.
20190914083242.jpg 20190914083250.jpg 20190914083258.jpg 20190914083307.jpg 20190914083314.jpg 20190914083321.jpg 20190914083329.jpg
An efficient way to check this would be , same track / same car / same others settings / 1st full rake /2d full negative rake
Then take the turn 1 one way , after take turn 1 the other way with your 1st ghost as reference. Then you will be sure of your "bugs of the physics engine" thing.

Perhaps it is a bit too much saying "nose is pointing at the sky". Others settings have to be considered together with rake at this level.
Here is the high-road-s' car , his front is just a few higher than te rear. This is not enough to say "bugs of the physics engine" in my opinion.

View attachment 850782

He bettered his lap and his previous replay got overwritten. In his first replay it was closer to the second picture you took.

I haven't tried this TT yet but I do intend to test it with your tune (normal rake) and then just reversing the ride height, and then max front/min rear. In the previous Civic TT at Willow it was really obvious that reverse rake was a lot better though. This combo isn't as extreme in terms of understeer so I suspect it's not gonna be as pronounced, but it's still worrying that a higher front height can still produce less understeer in some circumstances.

He bettered his lap and his previous replay got overwritten. In his first replay it was closer to the second picture you took.

I haven't tried this TT yet but I do intend to test it with your tune (normal rake) and then just reversing the ride height, and then max front/min rear. In the previous Civic TT at Willow it was really obvious that reverse rake was a lot better though. This combo isn't as extreme in terms of understeer so I suspect it's not gonna be as pronounced, but it's still worrying that a higher front height can still produce less understeer in some circumstances.
I've seen this behaviors on GR1 during high speed turns. This is really strange indeed, but on the GTO it does not work. I don't know about the civic .... i hate FF in GT anyway , not even curious.
This is the game we have , i still apply what seems to work on my cars and till now , without some strange settings values , it work the right way in my opinion. Perhaps the civic case was others settings influence , like extrem negative rear toe combined with others forced behaviors ...
Ride height rake have much more influence on rear or front end inertia than on oversteer / understeer when the car is stabilised.
I don't have any rules or prejudiced ideas when i tune a car, i still test strange things , but almost always i come back to theoritical normal options that make me think the game physics are working the right way in the 95% of the cases.
Can be wrong.

I've seen this behaviors on GR1 during high speed turns. This is really strange indeed, but on the GTO it does not work. I don't know about the civic .... i hate FF in GT anyway , not even curious.
This is the game we have , i still apply what seems to work on my cars and till now , without some strange settings values , it work the right way in my opinion. Perhaps the civic case was others settings influence , like extrem negative rear toe combined with others forced behaviors ...
Ride height rake have much more influence on rear or front end inertia than on oversteer / understeer when the car is stabilised.
I don't have any rules or prejudiced ideas when i tune a car, i still test strange things , but almost always i come back to theoritical normal options that make me think the game physics are working the right way in the 95% of the cases.
Can be wrong.

In that case can you do a tune for Peugeot RCZ Gr.4? I kid, I kid :P

I also notice that the default ride height values for McLaren VGT Gr.1/Gr.X is higher in front than rear. And this car used to be devilishly unstable under braking until they patched it in the latest update (by reducing the hybrid's regeneration on the rear axle). I know lots of F1 teams run higher rear height to improve downforce, but I don't know any race car in real life that runs higher front, except maybe drag racers.

One theory I've heard is extremely low ride height cause cars to bottom out, and thus lose grip on that end. So lower rear = rear bottom out = rear lose grip = more oversteer. Back in GT6 with a couple of problematic MR race cars this seems to hold true because they have extremely low ride heights (Audi R8 LMS, Lambo Diablo GT2). Raising the rear improves a lot of stability issues even without touching other suspension setups.

Anyway, as you said in 95% of cases the physics behave reasonably. But the top guys will always try to exploit every inch and it always bugs me to see the top replays driving such ludicrous looking setups. I hope Kaz takes note but at the end of the day it's his game and I have other sims if I want better accuracy, so I won't stress too much.

Speaking of 'ludicrous looking setups' (above), my current ride would definitely fit that bill.

I'm #48 currently in the GTO Twin Turbo using Praiano's updated tune, however prior to him raising the front of his car yesterday I had experimented doing the same myself and found it still worked for me like it used to in previous GT games.
In fact the higher I went the better my time so naturally I lowered the rear to see if that also worked here in GT Sport.

It did, it worked a treat so I wasn't surprised to see Praiano raise his front a bit. What did surprise me was he didn't find it beneficial raising it higher and lowering the rear too.
I put that down to different driving styles/levels of expertise, ie; it may be a benefit to me, running a 1:54.672, whereas it may not benefit a much quicker driver like Praiano.

It has generally been accepted I believe that it was a glitch of sorts which hasn't been corrected as cars do not normally corner better with their head up and tail down, and that is how I still view it.
So when I see a car here with the front raised and rear lowered I know the mechanics/aerodynamics etc are exactly the reverse of what is seen.
I accept other people may not view it that way. Time will tell.

First post here (but passive reader for a few years).
Had to thank Praiano for sharing and explaining his setups !!

Normally, I first create my own optimal setup - which takes a 1-2 hours. Then I compare with Praiano and take a few ideas here & there + look at some drivers from top #10 that I trust (likeBigStef, a setup master!) to guess what is theirs. That gave me a top #10 in all Time Attack with setup (excluding the Zonda one).
But this time, I was lazy, went straight to Praiano setup, and did a solid 1'53'5. That was 4 days ago, was in top #10. Last night, back to #17 with impressive new times above me.

So started to compare with BigStef car, and adjusted a few things, which brought me back to an unexpected #5 with 1'52'9 !!

Below the tweaks I made to Praiano setup (parameters not listed are the same as last Praiano setup)

Car height : 148 cm / 185 cm (worth trying from 148 - 155 cm in front)
Rear Suspension: 88 / 97 --> Will look like a cross with Front suspension
Camber: 2,2 / 2,2
Toe: -0,12 / -0,75 (worth trying -0,67, didn't try higher than -0,75) --> To me that was the key change that made me gain big time.

A few minor tweaks on the DGL, but I don't think that will affect the car much.

Not sure to which extent this is realistic versus playing with game physics, but seems to work.
I am 0'4 secs behind #1, and all that time is lost in Sector 1, as BigStef manage to take the left/right/left/right with full throttle.

Hope it will help some of you, and again big thanks to Praiano !!!

ps: I am DS4 player, not sure these tweaks are adapted to wheel drivers.

First post here (but passive reader for a few years).
Had to thank Praiano for sharing and explaining his setups !!

Normally, I first create my own optimal setup - which takes a 1-2 hours. Then I compare with Praiano and take a few ideas here & there + look at some drivers from top #10 that I trust (likeBigStef, a setup master!) to guess what is theirs. That gave me a top #10 in all Time Attack with setup (excluding the Zonda one).
But this time, I was lazy, went straight to Praiano setup, and did a solid 1'53'5. That was 4 days ago, was in top #10. Last night, back to #17 with impressive new times above me.

So started to compare with BigStef car, and adjusted a few things, which brought me back to an unexpected #5 with 1'52'9 !!

Below the tweaks I made to Praiano setup (parameters not listed are the same as last Praiano setup)

Car height : 148 cm / 185 cm (worth trying from 148 - 155 cm in front)
Rear Suspension: 88 / 97 --> Will look like a cross with Front suspension
Camber: 2,2 / 2,2
Toe: -0,12 / -0,75 (worth trying -0,67, didn't try higher than -0,75) --> To me that was the key change that made me gain big time.

A few minor tweaks on the DGL, but I don't think that will affect the car much.

Not sure to which extent this is realistic versus playing with game physics, but seems to work.
I am 0'4 secs behind #1, and all that time is lost in Sector 1, as BigStef manage to take the left/right/left/right with full throttle.

Hope it will help some of you, and again big thanks to Praiano !!!

ps: I am DS4 player, not sure these tweaks are adapted to wheel drivers.
Welcome to GTPlanet! :cheers:

Finally got some time to do the GTO TT. I tried prairano's first setup (the one on previous page) and got high 1.56s. Then I tried his second setup and bettered my time by a few tenths (still 56s). Then reversed ride height F&R and this made the biggest improvement by almost 1 second. Then used max front & min rear and although there's less understeer, this also made the car very unstable. I still improved by a few tenths but consistency was way down. Finally, I tried Arno23's setup. It's even more oversteery to the point of almost uncontrollable (the massive rear toe is excessive IMO). I dialled back the rear toe and improved again by a few tenths to get my time down to low 1.55s which is probably near my optimum (3 sec off the top is my usual gap).

Reverse rake definitely helped make the car less understeery in my view, but overdoing it causes huge stability issues as well. Prairano's tune with reversed ride height would be the best in terms of balance between speed & drivability.

You made me curious LeGend, had to try again.

Tried the reverse rake - something like 130cm / 150cm - was good. Stable, but of course creates some understeer (and accentuates the one in exit). Did a 1'53'2 with it, but coudln't get closer to my ghost.
But then it made me realize that it's worth trying an higher front than the previous setup of Praiano. Was better, and but then I realized the rear toe I applied was too high. And then issues with the front, a bit lose, which is really what you want to avoid with confort tyres. So stiffened the ARB a bit, and reduced the front toe.

--> Result? a 1'52'8 ! Back to P6.

But the key in this track is to flirt with track limits, keeping two wheels on the curbs, rest on the grass on the two 'fast chicanes'. (would prefer track limits with two wheels max on curbs, rest on track, otherwise penalties, but well.... another topic! At least there is no abuse like last days in Monza with the Zonda).

Below my current setup. Some small tweaks in the gearbox as I wanted the 5th to kick in earlier.
ps: was previously wrong with the suspension setup I wrote.

Can probably get closer to the podium, but not sure I will have the time before it expires.
Can't guarantee it works with wheels.

download.jpg
download (1).jpg

Anyone else thinking 2 weeks is a tad too long for these events? Gets a bit stale after the first week, for me anyway.
No. I think 2 weeks is right because some players don't get a lot of time to do these Time Trials like some, and that maybe why and it giver everyone a chance to complete a time.

Anyone else thinking 2 weeks is a tad too long for these events? Gets a bit stale after the first week, for me anyway.
gives people with less time on their hands a greater opportunity to run.

If you don't have enough time to participate in one (or two) TT's in two weeks, i believe it'd be the least interesting thing to do at the time...
But for the rest it (most likely) will become either a chore, or will get ignored very quickly.

I often clock my fastest time within 3 days or so - then i'll just end up checking the leadearboards every few days...
With weekly TT's people could still confidently improve their lap times near the end of the event - but after a week break or more, it's very unlikely, so you might just end up waiting for the next event.

I'd understand if there was a reward system of some sort, but you loose absolutely nothing if you had to skip every 2nd event.
Why not every 3 weeks or month(s)? Then even more players could participate, even those who are not buying the game anytime soon. Just less activity for regulars.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back