Top-Secret PS3 Driving Game will be Revealed Next Month will threaten GT5

  • Thread starter Thread starter tingri
  • 329 comments
  • 35,531 views
Its likely to be a totally new IP then.
 
A game to challenge Gran Turismo would be the best thing that could happen to GT,from our perspective of course!:) It would force PD to hurry up and get their act together, also if it would feature things GT lacks, it would also force them to implement them faster than they usually do(snail-pace style). There's nothing better than some good ol' competition on the same console!:D
p.s. Maybe that game would even be really better and cause GT fans to switch sides which would produce a nice kick in the ass for PD, and I think they need one right about now(resting on their laurels and whatnot)...;)

But that's what they said about Forza...
 
Twisted metal, motorstorm, or a new enthusia(Epic) But threaten GT5? no.

Theres rumor circulating around on Gamespot SS that it's twisted metal.
 
Ferrari Challenge
Super Car Challenge
...
GT Challenge

I likedFerrari and Super Car Challenge alot, so i would really like to see a new racing game from Eutechnyx.

But i think they will never ever "threaten" Polyphony Digital and GT.
It might be ironic... so Twisted Metal might actually be in the works, but i thought the rumor came from EatSleepPlay.
 
A challenger to GT5? Answer to my prayers. I'm planning on buying GT5 because it's hobson's choice. There's nothing else to touch it on PS3 but if they got a good physics system, decent graphics and maybe switched the emphasis from cars to tracks (500 cars, 150 tracks) I'd jump ship in a second. Wouldn't matter if the graphics weren't quite as stunning as GT which, after all, is about the only area they would be competitive if a challenger did materialise.
You obviously haven't played Prologue or the Time Trial demo. :sly:

Any company, Konami or whoever, who had been researching hundreds of cars and tracks would have been noticed years ago. And it would have taken years to do the kind of research Polyphony or even Turn 10 have done. So we can forget Enthusia 2, unless Konami is just now starting to work on it. Which if it is E2, they'd better do their homework because I hated Enthusia with a passion. It's absolutely nothing like its opening cinema or so called "demo vid." There was no comparison, and I felt about as disconnected from the car as I can remember any game being. After just experiencing Prologue, an E2 had better give me some sense of handling a car, rather than an out of body experience.

Codemasters could come back to their senses and make a serious game again, but with the NFS kids glomming onto Dirt, I'm not sure they have much incentive to refine the series into a proper Toca 4. And NFS... ugh. I forget the company who made Shift, just mentioned... Criterion? If they want to make a serious game, they need to run screaming from EA, because they screw up everything they touch even worse than T10 does. TDU2? Whatever...

A SIMBIN title would be okay, though they tried this with Race Pro, and it was just decent for a PC sim. The GTR series is reasonable, but any racing sim is very restricted in what it offers. Less than 100 cars to choose from, often just a few dozen, and only a few classes of racing. Not much variety. And this is why these PC sims are such a niche market. The flavor of these games is small and dry because of the limited scope and technical aspects prioritized over more involving aspects such as graphics and variety of racing. I have the GTR series and rFactor, and I keep going back to GT4 and Prologue for my racing fix.

Eutechnyx could work something, but they seem to be in the same boat as the PC sim guys, with limited scope - to date, just supercars, mostly Ferraris, and a decidedly Forza flavor to the games - which they do seem to be using a retooled Forza engine, even though they never address it.

All these games have said "Hi" for years, and the world mostly shrugs. The only series which has done well is Forza, and that says as much about the patience of the fans as the game, because Turn 10 always rushes it out the door, and there are always glaring, annoying issues with them.

I'll give any racing game a fair shot. I played Ferrari Challenge for about a month solid until I got sick of being banged off the track in the rain by the Forza-like bots. I played Forza 3 for two months straight, until the bugs bit me one too many times. I ran through weeks of my GTR games. But like many of the people here on Earth, the game series I can't tear myself away from is Gran Turismo. A new game? Great, let's see it. But even if it's as good in some ways, or better, it still won't be as good a game. There's just no substitution for Gran Turismo.

As for the above post by jujub:

" Eutechnyx - Future Plans

The role of a video game developer has always been to create experiences – brilliant elements that stick in players’ minds long after they’ve run through all the features of a title. Eutechnyx is working right now on creating new ways of expanding, even obliviating, the experience parameters. We feel there should be no boundaries beyond a simple edict: make it real and make it fun.
Ehh... they came close, nice try. Maybe they'll find the magic next time.

But hey... if you want Forza on the PS3, Ferrari/SC Challenge is waving at you.
 
CAPCOM tried a few years back on the XBOX with GROUP S CHALLENGE. The game was built around the same formula as GT,
but lacked number of tracks & cars, so the races became repetitive (even the menu sounds where very GT like).
CAPCOM has been behind the MOTOGP series of lately. Maybe they are trying to get their feet wet again?. :)

The only other previous series that (not counting Forza) that tried to go head-to-head, was Sega GT Homologation Special
for the Dreamcast (in a major way) & to lesser extent Sega Gt 2002 for the XBOX, but I would assume that this title is officially dead.
 
Last edited:
that is just ridiculous, bu hey, believe what you want.

What he is saying sounds perfectly reasonable to me. After all, that's what companies want, to sell.
 
Twisted metal, motorstorm, or a new enthusia(Epic) But threaten GT5? no.

Well there is quite many people waiting for GT5 and enthusia 2 would like a cold soda for thirsty gamers.
 
Does anyone know if Enthusia works on the PS3?

These clips look great and I have found a copy on amazon.
 
Does anyone know if Enthusia works on the PS3?

These clips look great and I have found a copy on amazon.

It works, if you have PS3 with PS2 game support(my pal version works fine with 60gb launch console)
 
TenaciousD, i fully agree with most of what you wrote as i don't have any experience with some of the games you mentioned, i still don't think we're likely to see a true competitor to PD in the near future.
Unfortunately as it may be, as true competition in any field should always be welcomed, i understand game developers probably don't want to confront PD full on because it is more likely they'll fail horrendously by comparison.

PD is unrivalled because they hit the ground running and only got better and more succesful and to find 60 million or so to be able to do what they do best is a daunting and possibly impossible task for anyone.
The only other driving game on PS3 i sometimes enjoy is Dirt but only those racing disciplines GT doesn't cover, like Dakar trucks and buggies, etc.
If i drive the Rally cars in Dirt i can't help but compare and they always dissapoint.

So to get a foot between the door, any new developer should do what PD has done in the beginning, create and persist with a new formula or niche.
Something PD doesn't do already both in types of vehicle or general features and offer something as an addition or an alternative on a different field to GT.
If you get a convincing physics engine, eye-watering graphics and attention to detail the only thing you need then, or in the first place, is a great original idea on which to wrap them.
It still might never threaten GT but still could get a huge slice of the same shared market.
 
Last edited:
I'm playing it right now in my PS3. Absolutely worth playing.
 
My European SLES-53125 version works on my launch 60GB PS3. My DFGT has to be plugged into USB 1 to work as player 1 though.
 
Nail on the head, me old mucker. In a studio owned by Sony any other consideration is secondary. Actually, scatch that, it's fourth. Priority goes - sales, sales, sales and then anything else.

Anything you might have heard from PD about love of cars and perfection and everything is just part of the hype, perfectly scripted soundbites with the sole aim of promoting priorities 1, 2 & 3

Then only good news from a consumer point of view is that (unless you're electronic arts) quality is a requirement that sales are largely dependent on so at least we get that.

Firstly, any business that isn't sales driven will fail. Secondly, that's utter tripe, stop trying to get an argument with someone.
 
Lets all hope it's Enthusia 2. Maybe KY will learn his lesson. :lol:
 
I'm sorry but I don't follow. Why including aussie cars or racing series in GT5 determines if they want to sell or make a good game? I can also argue they don't care about making a good game because they won't include brazilian stock car racing. And both arguments have little to do with the quality of the game.

Because in a car racing game the cars and tracks matter, why do you think everyone is screaming for a car list and examining every video with a fine tooth comb for new cars? If somebody made a game with ultimately true to life physics, picture perfect graphics and only put one car, a Toyota Camry, and one track, *insert some crappy track* nobody would ever buy it, because it wouldn't be a good game. Australia has a diverse car culture and history with cars revered enough and certainly worthy enough that they ought to be in GT5. Most game developers seem to think that if they include one Commodore and one Falcon the Australians will be 100% satisfied, not so. We've got soo many classics, and some more brands too, such as Valiant Australia, Elfin and Bolwell, it'd be great to see at least some of this represented in a game for us to drive, and to also expose them to foreigners. One Commodore and one Falcon is like a kick in the face saying "We think your cars aren't worth a 2nd glance".
 
Seems everyone wants Enthusia 2. If only that happened, would be kickass. I just bought a pre-owned PS2 again, just to play GT3, GT4 and Enthusia.
 
I must be Tourist Trophy 2....though I can only hope
 
Firstly, any business that isn't sales driven will fail. Secondly, that's utter tripe, stop trying to get an argument with someone.

Telling someone their point is "utter tripe" is argument. Putting forward a logical point is debate.
 
As stupid as this may sound... F1 2010 maybe? The development has moved to codemasters, who obviously made the TOCA series. I was playing F1 Championship Edition yesterday, and thought that F1 2010 would be an ideal candidate to challenge GT's physics, seen as those in CE were already pretty good... although, this was made by another developer. And also, F1 2010 isn't really that much of a secret... hmmm, we'll have to wait and see!
 
....though I can only hope

Haha indeed, I look forward to Tourist Trophy 2 (after GT5).
 
not if PD can help it, they'll pull a psp and release it BEFORE GT5, and then finish up on GT5 somewhere in, oh I don't know, 2012?
 
GT
not if PD can help it, they'll pull a psp and release it BEFORE GT5, and then finish up on GT5 somewhere in, oh I don't know, 2012?

Oh well atleast I have TT2 while I wait. :D
 
As stupid as this may sound... F1 2010 maybe? The development has moved to codemasters, who obviously made the TOCA series. I was playing F1 Championship Edition yesterday, and thought that F1 2010 would be an ideal candidate to challenge GT's physics, seen as those in CE were already pretty good... although, this was made by another developer. And also, F1 2010 isn't really that much of a secret... hmmm, we'll have to wait and see!

I must admit I don't see F1 and GT as competing on the same playing field. Yes, they're both techincally driving games but the difference between road cars (even supercars) and F1 vehicles is so astronomical as to be incomparable. I mean riding a horse is more like driving a Ferrari than driving an F1 is.

Well okay maybe not but you get my point
 
Plus I don't see how PD are going to compete with a pure F1 game; it's gonna have damage, a field of 22 or more, fuel usage, wheather effects, the handeling should be great. I love the F1 car in GT5P, but it's missing a lot...hope codies can get it right. The best (most fun) F1 game EVER was formula one '97; god that was a awesome game with variable weather, real tire wear that you could feel, fuel, engine failure, damage...that was 97...
 
I don't think anything will directly threaten GT5 (I haven't played Forza, so I can't comment on that...), but if a company could, I think Simbin would give some heated competition. Would be interesting to see another racing game none-the-less. Not enough good ones on the PS3 for me right now...
 
Back