Wed 20:30-21:30 UK Time - CLOSED - Suspended until further noticePS4 

Another one! Thanks Tav I'll get that done.

You'd think the PS4 would be like a Cray supercomputer after all the "performance improvement" updates!

I've just read that in a forthcoming update they are planning to increase the party limit to 16 people, improving audio quality and are also beefing up network connectivity.

Hey guys.

Just want to mention that I have to widthdraw from Wednesday races. However, I'll be there for Monday races 👍

That's a shame Will! I thought DD and Tav had found someone to race with, especially with how quick your pace has come on. Glad you'll still be around on Monday's though.

Thanks for letting us know Tav, I'll get that done when I get home.

@Sick Cylinder i think the Pontiac made it to race but crashed out...it was a few weeks ago now so I can’t quite remember. Sorry I didn’t see your post originally hence the lack of reply.

Is that you next to the TR8? That car was a BEAST! I loved it, it really brought the noise! I have loads of photos of it...think I’m yet to post one to my Instagram account but will later I think!

@Sick Cylinder i think the Pontiac made it to race but crashed out...it was a few weeks ago now so I can’t quite remember. Sorry I didn’t see your post originally hence the lack of reply.

Is that you next to the TR8? That car was a BEAST! I loved it, it really brought the noise! I have loads of photos of it...think I’m yet to post one to my Instagram account but will later I think!

Shame the Pontiac had problems - last year it had steering problems.

Not me in any of the pictures - gent next to TR8 is the owner Christian Marx.

Hi Will - sorry you are leaving one series, but glad you are staying for the other series!

Results from Spa Francorchamps

Spa Francorchamps WED.jpg

So I’ve just watched Raging’s qualifying run and...it was very impressive.

However, and I know that I’m new, but our driving styles over one lap are very similar...some corners I’d take more cleanly and some Raging would do better on.

...and again...I know that I’m new...but I was genuinely perplexed as to why I was 2-3 seconds off the pace when I know that I’m driving to a similar standard over 1 ‘hot’ lap. I felt yesterday that maybe I was using the wrong gears in some of the corners towards the tail end of the lap...but no...Raging was in all the 2nds and 3rds that I was using and in the same places.

So...those pit strategies I saw being tinkered with right at the beginning...especially those crazy low tyre pressures...do these settings count when tuning isn’t allowed? I appreciate low pressure = more grip, but do all the really fast people here adopt a similar strategy? Why so low? Do you ever go high pressure?

I literally had no idea you could do that (the tyre pressures) when we have no tuning allowed. I just work with whatever the car has in either Stable or Loose.

It was really eye opening.

Some input into what was happening would be great!

I tinkered with it but when i realised that the tyres wouldn't need changing, i switched back to the "fix damage" strategy with no tyre change.
So no, it doesn't have an influence.
Did you use the loose or stable setup?

I think you'll find that was Tav's qualification and race video Shauny. He's not known for being short of pace!

Only 2 to 3 seconds off the pace! I wish. :)
I'm never very good at Spa and for some reason I can't get to grips with the BMW at all. Other than that...

As for the top guys extra pace, since everyone should in theory be at the same pace on a straight it all comes down to carrying more speed through and out of the corners. It's the braking, turning and accelerating at just the right amount and place that they have mastered. It's a combination of practice and skill. More time spent more speed up to a point and then you can add natural talent to get that last little bit.

I have my moments when it all comes together but I usually don't have the consistency to do it lap after lap. I thought you seemed to have good pace. I think the phrase used now is "you're getting gud"

Since I've no idea what I'm doing I never tinker with any of the settings. It'd all end badly I think.

So...those pit strategies I saw being tinkered with right at the beginning...especially those crazy low tyre pressures...do these settings count when tuning isn’t allowed? I appreciate low pressure = more grip, but do all the really fast people here adopt a similar strategy? Why so low? Do you ever go high pressure?

Myself and LC changed our pressures to match the default setup on the car (the pressures on the pit strategy I was using had been previously setup for a FWD car).

Don't forget that the pressures shown in the top right hand corner of the race lobby screen are elevated because the tyres have already been warmed in blankets for the race start. To check what the default cold pressures are you'd need to check the top right hand corner in Qualifying (1.46 & 1.40 bar).

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to use my tyres :lol:

All about tuning in pCARS 2:

Even though it's not a hardcore sim like rFactor or Automobilista, it's really satisfying to patiently tinker with the cars and testing the results on track. You can really feel the small differences as opposed to GTS or even AC (console version)

@IfAndOr thanks for the heads up about it being Tav and not Raging haha! I saw the congratulations at the top of the post and evidently got confused.

@Tavilha I apologise profusely for thinking that was Raging’s quali! Lol! It had been a long day at work...

However the fact that it was you makes my questioning all the better. At the end of your pit stop I was in front of you. I’ve not watched the race video yet but I know that you passed me at the top of Eau Rouge....and as I said in PS chat after the race, there was no way I was going to stand in your way...you were like a bullet past me. However....you lift off the gas mid way up Eau Rouge....I don’t...I’m literally foot down all the way....yet you still carry more speed at the top onto the Kemmel Straight. It was incredible!

I’ve not even had enough time to see which car you were in...if mine was more powerful / faster on paper...then that’s even more depressing! Haha!

The only differences in gears that I noted was that you’d shift to 6th at the tail end of the Kemmel Straight...I’d stay in 5th.

It was a fun race...I don’t think I am getting better though....the car just suited me I think. In career mode right now I’m struggling to get out of Sportcar Lites in the second tier hah! :banghead:

If I'm not mistaken, you were in the Ferrari. I was in the BMW, which seems indeed faster. I took it in stable setup because the rear end is really twitchy under heavy braking.
I don't know if you drive on track in real life but if you apply real driving techniques, the game rewards you by being safer and faster (again, albeit not being a hardcore sim). Scott Mansell's YouTube series Driver61 is a good guide to review some of the fundamentals.
In the Sportcar lites series you drive the small prototypes like the Radical SR3, right? I might have a decent setup for it, if you want to try it. It's a high downforce, low power car, and really fun to drive (drive it like a formula car - light and progressive inputs).

the rear end is really twitchy under heavy braking.
Oh good. It's not just my driving then. :dopey:

The BMW does have the straight line advantage @ShaunyB. With Tav at the wheel it also has an advantage in the corners too! ;)

You could sell the game for SMS with this one shot @John Wells 👍
Project CARS 2_20190607110033.jpg

I was really enjoying the sunset, beautiful.
Unfortunately it dropped below the horizon much too quickly. :)

If I'm not mistaken, you were in the Ferrari. I was in the BMW, which seems indeed faster. I took it in stable setup because the rear end is really twitchy under heavy braking.

Well, I guess I feel a little better knowing I had the slower car(!) Perhaps I was just lucky finishing 4th, I'm not sure. I always take the stable setup if I can, my mantra at the moment is that I'd rather finish the race than push for a high place. I want my online race license to improve from a 'C'.

I don't know if you drive on track in real life but if you apply real driving techniques, the game rewards you by being safer and faster (again, albeit not being a hardcore sim). Scott Mansell's YouTube series Driver61 is a good guide to review some of the fundamentals.

I do not, I'm an online only driver (albeit I can, and do, drive a car.) Driver61 is fantastic, and I do watch the series.

In the Sportcar lites series you drive the small prototypes like the Radical SR3, right? I might have a decent setup for it, if you want to try it. It's a high downforce, low power car, and really fun to drive (drive it like a formula car - light and progressive inputs).

Correct! Radical and Caterham. They are excellent fun to drive, albeit very twitchy - and yes, progressive driving is a must! I find it's high downforce on the straights, but absolutely no downforce in the low-speed corners...it can make acceleration 'interesting'. I'd be very grateful for any setups that you may have! However, I have just borrowed the low tyre pressure approach and things seem a little easier now.

It would be really cool to understand how you all set your cars up in the game. I'm often at a loss with the number of settings available, I also find it difficult to tell the difference between the tweaks that I make too. I find the in-game 'Engineer' practically useless most of the time.

Incidentally, I love Radical sportscars in real life, and have watched them a number of times - including this weekend just gone in the Radical SR1 Cup. If anyone gets the chance to watch them, I'd highly recommend it. Large grids and excellent amateur-level racing...even if the SR1 cars are a little on the quiet side.

Well, I guess I feel a little better knowing I had the slower car(!) Perhaps I was just lucky finishing 4th, I'm not sure. I always take the stable setup if I can, my mantra at the moment is that I'd rather finish the race than push for a high place. I want my online race license to improve from a 'C'.

I do not, I'm an online only driver (albeit I can, and do, drive a car.) Driver61 is fantastic, and I do watch the series.

Correct! Radical and Caterham. They are excellent fun to drive, albeit very twitchy - and yes, progressive driving is a must! I find it's high downforce on the straights, but absolutely no downforce in the low-speed corners...it can make acceleration 'interesting'. I'd be very grateful for any setups that you may have! However, I have just borrowed the low tyre pressure approach and things seem a little easier now.

It would be really cool to understand how you all set your cars up in the game. I'm often at a loss with the number of settings available, I also find it difficult to tell the difference between the tweaks that I make too. I find the in-game 'Engineer' practically useless most of the time.

Incidentally, I love Radical sportscars in real life, and have watched them a number of times - including this weekend just gone in the Radical SR1 Cup. If anyone gets the chance to watch them, I'd highly recommend it. Large grids and excellent amateur-level racing...even if the SR1 cars are a little on the quiet side.

I usually take a fairly straightforward approach.
Objective: I always tune with drivability in mind and never lap times. These tend to get better naturally if you're driving comfortably and confidently.
Step 1 - try out stable vs loose. Do at least 10 laps on each setup and go with the one you like better
Step 2 - anti-roll bars: lighten the front if you're understeering, lighten the rear if you're oversteering
Step 3 - downforce: it usually pays to have high downforce as the top speed penalty (drag) is very low. For example, I have max downforce on my F Renault 3.5
Step 4 - springs: harden the springs if you're bottoming out or the car feels wobbly. Keep in mind that this may affect oversteer / understeer balance. You may have to adjust anti-roll bars again.
Step 5 - adjust LSD. Braking - loosen if you're understeering, tighten if you're oversteering. Accelerating - tighten if the inside wheel is losing traction, loosen if you're spinning on corner exit (RWD) / understeering (FWD).
Step 6 - adjust fast bound and rebound if the car's too sensitive over kerbs or bumps; slow bound and rebound if the car still feels wobbly or twitchy.
Step 7 - fine tuning: patiently tinker with camber, toe and caster, according to tyre temperatures and car balance.
Step 8 - adjust tyre pressure according to tyre compound, recommended hot pressure (there are charts on this) and track temperature.
Step 9 - create track specific setups for optimized performance.
Step 10 - keep tinkering because perfection is impossible to attain

Quite often, the car can get worse when you tune something, so always remember to save.

Note: this is just my own process that I developed naturally over time; any other is also valid of course.

Here's a general recommendation:
CE82C6FD-A84C-444E-9270-63D8BE658B38-9730-00000FB37A00122D.jpg

Back