What don't you like about GTS? From the beta

• Thread starter diesel97
  • 505 comments
I think you have perhaps missed the point ;) Why start with a negative assumption, why not a general thread for impressions/comments on the beta? This is why @daan commented originally, I suspect.

I do appreciate that some people don't like reading through a lot of posts, but unfortunately, making two threads won't make that easier, not really.
You just made my point if you don't want to read the negative comments then don't click on the thread.If any post in the general thread isn't drooling in kool aid it gets trounced on so the points never get heard

Whilst the two thread approach can create an echo-chamber false impression. Mostly I ignore outburst posts these days, it does make life simpler and calmer.
Yeah, that's fine, it's just that the majority don't lol. If you're one that's not enthralled with the current standings of the game, and try to discuss it, it's not very easy. This gives them a place to discuss it more calmly, without being attacked, or without having to disrupt those that can't seem to distinguish valid complaints from hate. It'll streamline the main threads, and avoid some conflict(not entirely, I'm sure you know, but still.)

This thread would have been made at some point anyways. Whether its from someone who hates that people don't have something positive to say, or like now, where it's someone genuinely curious about what people don't like. This can also be used as a place to easily find out what you may not like about the game(although, I'm sure just like all other threads, you'll get the wild ones.)

You just made my point if you don't want to read the negative comments then don't click on the thread.If any post in the general thread isn't drooling in kool aid it gets trounced on so the points never get heard
Did I say, I or me? ;) Okay, this is definitely going derailed, so I'll leave you in peace.

I will say that since the common definition of a beta is a game that is functionally complete, I would like to see them show damage, rain and night. These things should be functional at this point, or they don't have a beta.

That something like damage is not simply there as a fundamental part of the engine throws me off a bit. I feel like they're still treating collisions and damage like they're not important, like it's something that they'll maybe just pay lip service to for the sake of quieting the internet.

Kaz is a racer. He should know more than anything that the threat of damage is a major part of what makes wheel to wheel racing so thrilling.

I love the menus, the replays but the gameplay from the chase view is so "clean", "clinical". I don't know why but almost all tracks in the new GTs have this clinical feeling. I've played GT since 1998, no need to convince me I will buy it. However, I have the XB1 and the PS4 and if I was younger, Forza (even PC) would be much more interesting for me. This is not about the car count, livery editor...the overall gameplay feeling looks boring if I was a kid. I don't want an over the top atmosphere, a little more action is welcomed.

If one single thread was created to discuss the beta, this would be the one that makes the most sense. Of course it could devolve into a bit of a crying thread but the beta is all about feedback for improvement. Criticism is most important then.

I've compiled most of my critical thoughts on the game from the last few days here. TLDR warning.

There are a lot of things I don't like, but few so far that I would request PD change. Here is what I would ask to change, because I assume will stay the same in final game otherwise:

1. The time taken from when you're put behind the wheel of your car to when the race starts is too short in Sport mode. I like to dial in certain settings for launch in the MFD sometimes, and I'm getting no time to do it. GT6 quick match gave you a lot of time (probably too much.)​

2. Tone down transmission whine generally, turn up the engine sound in-cabin. Some cars seem worse than others.

3. Livelier force feedback. Just.. do whatever Kunos does with AC. Thanks! :lol:

4. Add an in-car view of dashboard w/o wheel.

5. TC less pulse-like and intrusive at lower settings.

6. Tiny tire temperature band around tread wear indicators should be thicker. Do they even matter? See #7.

7. Tire condition/temperature complexity. For when tire wear is enabled, I expect tire abuse to actually matter. In GT6, managing tires only mattered in long races where abuse resulted in faster tire wear. Someone running racing soft should see odd tire behavior after 3 or 4 laps of constantly overdriving the tires on an average twisty circuit. I'm not expecting AC-level complexity. I think this has a place in GT.

8. In sport mode, the screen displaying the winner of the event is a great touch. I think it should show 3rd, then 2nd, then the winner. I am a sucker for glory.​

These are things I suspect might be addressed in the final game, eventually, but will still list the here with optimism:

9. Driving view customization, like seat position and FOV.​

10. Some level of HUD customization, though I do plan on sticking with the "all information" view they give us by default.

11. Options for whether it alerts you of your SR level going up or down. I'd rather not know what the net change in SR was until after the race. Seeing that has become distracting and an unneeded frustration. If you wanted to know when/where/why SR change happened, it could show in replay.

12. I'll mention engine sounds here. They're improved for sure, but PD can always do better.
Anything else I don't like would be a more general characteristic of Gran Turismo that I wouldn't expect to change:

13. Physics. I feel like the game is really forgiving in a way that translates into inadequate punishment for sloppy driving behavior. The fastest, cleanest guys will always win, but the game does a lot of enabling. Why I wouldn't change it? Because it makes the game way more accessible for controller users. Go play AC on a controller. I wouldn't expect anyone to deal with that. As long as the physics can't be taken advantage of to go faster by driving some weird way, it's all good.​

14. Tire squeal. It can seem a little excessive, but I think it has a well thought out purpose as supplemental information for the driver, who (particularly when using a controller) can not receive the important grip information from the tires otherwise.​

Lastly, I haven't run into a single bug yet. There are official channels for bug reporting and forum-style discussion, though I don't have access to the latter.

3. Livelier force feedback. Just.. do whatever Kunos does with AC. Thanks! :lol:

5. TC less pulse-like and intrusive at lower settings.

11. Options for whether it alerts you of your SR level going up or down. I'd rather not know what the net change in SR was until after the race. Seeing that has become distracting and an unneeded frustration. If you wanted to know when/where/why SR change happened, it could show in replay.
A few updates to these points. Having acquired a few more cars (unfortunately no normal cars!) and spent a lot of time in all of them, I will add that not all cars are created equal when it comes to FFB and TC behavior. Duh! Makes sense. TC seems more friendly in the road car, but FFB is much more mellow. That should be expected, because most road cars these days have zero steering feel or feedback.

Gr.4 cars have somewhat tame FFB compared to Gr.3. Finally getting a chance to run on Nords, the FFB in some of the Gr.3 is pretty darn good. I did some back to back comparos with similar cars in AC and I'm really liking all of it. I hope they shamelessly rip off AC and put the Tourist layout of Nords in the game :lol:

Regarding SR points, people have brought up how people use ghosting to their advantage a lot, and their SR rating can climb while doing so. The SR meter or whatever tracks how you're doing should go to neutral if you ghost or pass mostly through one.

I will say that since the common definition of a beta is a game that is functionally complete, I would like to see them show damage, rain and night. These things should be functional at this point, or they don't have a beta.

That something like damage is not simply there as a fundamental part of the engine throws me off a bit. I feel like they're still treating collisions and damage like they're not important, like it's something that they'll maybe just pay lip service to for the sake of quieting the internet.

Kaz is a racer. He should know more than anything that the threat of damage is a major part of what makes wheel to wheel racing so thrilling.

I'd honestly not get my hopes up for damage.

I'd honestly not get my hopes up for damage.

I don't have my hopes up for anything. After GT5 and GT6 I wouldn't be at all surprised if GTS turns out to be a pile.

On the other hand, we can all be optimistic that it will be a real game with real modern features like damage. I struggle to think of another modern racing game of any sort that doesn't have at least a basic implementation of damage.

EXTERIOR CAMERA.

gran-turismo-sport-8211-gameplay-8211-closed-beta-8211-nissan-gt-r-nismo-gt3.jpg

Seriously, whats up with this boring exterior cam used since GT4, zoomed out to extent you can't identify the detailing on the car models.

This is the reason why it looks like GT6 IMO.

Someone please address this to PD.

EXTERIOR CAMERA.

gran-turismo-sport-8211-gameplay-8211-closed-beta-8211-nissan-gt-r-nismo-gt3.jpg

Seriously, whats up with this boring exterior cam used since GT4, zoomed out to extent you can't identify the detailing on the car models.

I agree but with this camera you can see more and its better to drive

EXTERIOR CAMERA.

Agreed, the 3rd person camera is too far away (though I don't use it myself)

The exterior cam on GT3 was nigh on perfect, as it was nice and close up without being too "in your face" if you know what I mean.

After reading all the posts over here, I can see GTS implements what iRacing does

1. Driver rating equals to iRating
2. Safety rating equals to Safety Rating

Wish they implement more like
1. Only locked to cockpit cam on special events. In iRacing they only race in cockpit cam.

2. Only use steering column force for ffb and disable any canned effects ( or at least have it to turn them off like in AC )

3. Time delta by sectors against personal best or optimal

4.realtime tire pressure/heat indicator

5. Ablity to adjust fov and remove the steering wheel on display

6. Introduce incident limits during online race to eliminate wreckers

7.Always put priority on FPS

8. NETCODE is what makes iracing online experience very unique, even with slower 450ms ping, one can race without problems. Things that AC,rfactor and pcars failed to deliver.

Last edited:
Only thing I don't like so far is the time of the daily races in the US. For people on the east coast, the first race is at 11:00pm. If it was moved up at least 2 hours that would be much better.

Alright, so I've been on the beta for a bit now. I have to say this game is beautiful, well constructed, and thought out. But I have a growing concern that it is trying to be Project Cars or DriveClub and now Gran Turismo. From what I have access to In the beta, which isn't a lot, there isn't anyway to add performance parts or cosmetic changes to cars.On top of that they seem to have done away with the PP system and just categorized the cars into 4 different categories. I am happy to say that since it is a GT game, you can tune to your hearts content. All in all I believe this will be a great game when its done.

I wish they have ranking or hosted league style championship. Say for Honda CUP series that will run for 12 weeks with rotating circuit every week. That will interest a lot of people

Im just really surprised how it looks like the game still plays like an updated version of Gran Turismo 1. So many of the kinks and quirks of the original are still there after almost 20 years.

If you compare Final Fantasy VII from 1997 to Final Fantasy XV from 2016, about a 20 year gap, you will notice a huge difference in how the game is played - they play and feel completely different from eachother. Thats how different games should feel after 20 years. Whereas going from GT1 to GTS seems like just a big graphics and handling physics upgrade.

I know some people will say 'its just racing cars theres only so much you can do'. OK, why are some of the biggest aspects of racing not represented in Gran Turismo? Things like finding sponsors, building and maintaining a team with pitcrew, drivers, engineers etc, building a team headquarters with a wind tunnel, 7 post shaker rig, engine dyno, test track etc, proper damage, race commentators like John Hindhaugh or Leigh Diffey, team engineers, spotters, or live timing overlays when watching a race? Why cant we choose different brands of tires, shocks, turbos, carburetors, brakes etc? Why was the formula to generate used cars in GT5 so simple and primitive? They took one of the best aspects of GT games and butchered it to the point where people no longer wanted it. Same with b-spec. Incredible idea that got worse over time, not better.

And its not like that stuff is impossible, most of it already exists in some form in stick and ball sports games.

Gran Turismo has advanced at a snail's pace. I have a G29 gathering dust so I'll buy the game, but it really does irk me how far behind console racing games are compared to the advances other game genres have made.

Im just really surprised how it looks like the game still plays like an updated version of Gran Turismo 1. So many of the kinks and quirks of the original are still there after almost 20 years.

If you compare Final Fantasy VII from 1997 to Final Fantasy XV from 2016, about a 20 year gap, you will notice a huge difference in how the game is played - they play and feel completely different from eachother. Thats how different games should feel after 20 years. Whereas going from GT1 to GTS seems like just a big graphics and handling physics upgrade.

I know some people will say 'its just racing cars theres only so much you can do'. OK, why are some of the biggest aspects of racing not represented in Gran Turismo? Things like finding sponsors, building and maintaining a team with pitcrew, drivers, engineers etc, building a team headquarters with a wind tunnel, 7 post shaker rig, engine dyno, test track etc, proper damage, race commentators like John Hindhaugh or Leigh Diffey, team engineers, spotters, or live timing overlays when watching a race? Why cant we choose different brands of tires, shocks, turbos, carburetors, brakes etc? Why was the formula to generate used cars in GT5 so simple and primitive? They took one of the best aspects of GT games and butchered it to the point where people no longer wanted it. Same with b-spec. Incredible idea that got worse over time, not better.

And its not like that stuff is impossible, most of it already exists in some form in stick and ball sports games.

Gran Turismo has advanced at a snail's pace. I have a G29 gathering dust so I'll buy the game, but it really does irk me how far behind console racing games are compared to the advances other game genres have made.

I think progression in the genre is different for racing games than others. Stuff like RPGs can make big changes to the gameplay systems, where racing is pretty much stuck with various forms of going round in circles.

On the other hand, you'd think that would allow much more room for experimentation in the game that surrounds the racing. Plenty of games have gone in various directions with that. But as you say, Gran Turismo is for the most part still where it was twenty years ago. One might think that some of the cool things that GT1 introduced like used cars and race mods might have gone somewhere, but I guess not.

I hope the iRacing-on-a-console thing works out, because the game as it stands now doesn't seem to have much else going for it other than making pretty photos.

the sound is too quiet, when the car is far from camera you can barely hear it, and on replays from races you only hear the car that is closest to the camera.

The steering wheel animations. And no real offline mode. In addition there is no dynamic weather.

Wheel and no dynamic weather disturb me extremely. And the other is also disturbing, but can live with it. And I just want more old cars.
The absence of dynamic wearther is a step backwards.

It appears that I am not alone in thinking that there is some kind of oversteer assistance, that neutralizes front grip and straightens you out. Managing throttle and oversteer is a HUGE part of the whole racing skills thing...so I hope I am just mistaken.

Besides that, I'm very in love.

Back