What don't you like about GTS? From the beta

• Thread starter diesel97
  • 505 comments
There is not so much I don't like but I discovered something else that is worrying me a bit. You see, the BETA testers so far have done an excellent job of streaming and sharing info but the more I see, the more I find it GT5/6 all over again. Sure the graphics are awesome, the lightening is from another world but the gameplay really seems the same. There is no real innovation over Gran Turismo 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6.

It all comes with a very sterile and "boring" look. Maybe it is also due to the lack of new locations and cars? Where is the innovation of the franchise? I want to get excited but it doesn't happen. Sure I like the Peugs that are in the game and that alone with photomode is a reason to buy it but GT Sport is lacking so far. Seriously lacking from what I've seen.

This week I put in Gran Turismo 2, played it for 20 minutes and turned it off. Just got extremely bored with it rapidly and I am afraid GT Sport will do exactly the same with me.

Beside GT Sport online mode, GT Sport feels lackluster in their racing genre approach. Yes sounds have improved, AI seems improved but it simply isn't enough. Maybe it has been all those years of playing Gran Turismo that make me feel the way I do today :odd:

There is not so much I don't like but I discovered something else that is worrying me a bit. You see, the BETA testers so far have done an excellent job of streaming and sharing info but the more I see, the more I find it GT5/6 all over again. Sure the graphics are awesome, the lightening is from another world but the gameplay really seems the same. There is no real innovation over Gran Turismo 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6.

It all comes with a very sterile and "boring" look. Maybe it is also due to the lack of new locations and cars? Where is the innovation of the franchise? I want to get excited but it doesn't happen. Sure I like the Peugs that are in the game and that alone with photomode is a reason to buy it but GT Sport is lacking so far. Seriously lacking from what I've seen.

This week I put in Gran Turismo 2, played it for 20 minutes and turned it off. Just got extremely bored with it rapidly and I am afraid GT Sport will do exactly the same with me.

Beside GT Sport online mode, GT Sport feels lackluster in their racing genre approach. Yes sounds have improved, AI seems improved but it simply isn't enough. Maybe it has been all those years of playing Gran Turismo that make me feel the way I do today :odd:

It seems like you are burned out on playing Gran Turismo. It always happens when you play the same game over and over. I think it's time to move on, because it isn't fun forcing yourself to play a game you don't even like, imo.

I do have a feeling there will be some new tracks or surprises on us soon 👍

Last edited:
not only "grimy" but everything is "flat" they're no pitch or high points or racing line grooves worn in from years of racing just lifeless.

PD should take advantage of laser scan technology used by pCARS and AC. Laser scans bring the uneven patches for livelier track experiences.

Why do they all look brand new and shiny then?
377b029bb3.jpg

in iRacing they use Dynamic Track technology to make the tracks dirty over period of time. Usually on SpA after 12 hours endurance, we can't use the usual race line. We have to took the outside for better grip. I think PD will use the same technology as they have more resources to do it.

Last edited:
in iRacing they use Dynamic Track technology to make the tracks dirty over period of time. Usually on SpA after 12 hours endurance, we can't use the usual race like. I think PD will use the same technology as they have more resources to do it.
I honestly think PD have missed this trick, their obsessively long development timetable means this being a major bone of construction would have needed a decision years ago, the possible lack of Night racing, lack of dynamic weather and a sophisticated damage model in my opinion would mean anything like a dynamic track your suggesting is waaaay off, there maybe a dry nd wet line, but a dynamic track nah.

Perhaps the choice was Random?

Marvin is using PS4 vanilla.

Yea I assume so. Unfortunately.

I just had to vent my frustrations. Thanks for not responding negatively.

But still, you're telling me that I shouldn't buy it because of the slow AI. What if I'm in it more for the physics? I find it a bit pretentious that you're telling me to not buy the game just because the AI is slow.

Seems we look for different things in our racing games. I tend to look for physics more than AI, while it's vice versa for you. Can we leave it at that?

I agree with you completely. GT and all sims in general are all about the physics and the way it feels to drive these cars. That is by far the most important element.

I want much faster AI so I hope GTS delivers it but I certainly am not going to not buy it just because it has GT6's AI. If that's the case I can always use an underperforming car to get a challenge.

I was actually hoping the AI would be tougher though. The 2 GT games with the toughest AI and best single player racing were GT PSP, and GT5 Prologue. What is the one thing those 2 have in common? They don't have upgradeable parts like turbos, and what not. That's also something GT Sport has in common. I don't see why GTS wouldn't have the same or better tough AI that GT PSP had. I hope PD didn't somehow screw this up.

Didn't they mention that GTS would have several AI difficulties though? What if the beta just didn't have those and used the same easy AI the trade show demos had?

Last edited:
If you have access to PC Sim, try Ai in rFactor2 and Automobilista. Pretty darn good and I hope gts can have an option to increase ai aggresiveness and overall strength.

Got the confirmation email the other day, finally got the invite on PS4. Will be giving my thoughts on the game in the coming days. I'll try and be extensive. I'd assume there is no NDA?

There's supposed to be an NDA but apparently streaming is allowed only if you use the PS4 Share function.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...s-then-eu-region.354301/page-32#post-11746797

All NDA's come to a end I suppose I'll just stock up on footage going through tracks and cars.

"replicate or stream the Beta Product’s audio and video output to third-party services supported by the PlayStation4 system where the Beta Product permits use of the Share button and where SIEA has the rights to permit you to record, edit and share the Beta Product’s content. This limited, non-exclusive license includes recording portions of the Beta Product’s content to the PlayStation®4 system and to use that system’s tools to edit those recordings." I'll take replicate and use of 3rd party services as it's a go ahead on using a Elgato to record from share and Upload it.

From the footage I've seen the sounds are definitely better, but something is still off about them that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it's lack of reverb or something similar?

If one single thread was created to discuss the beta, this would be the one that makes the most sense. Of course it could devolve into a bit of a crying thread but the beta is all abimprove ut feedback for improvement. Criticism is most important then.

I've compiled most of my critical thoughts on the game from the last few days here. TLDR warning.

There are a lot of things I don't like, but few so far that I would request PD change. Here is what I would ask to change, because I assume will stay the same in final game otherwise:

1. The time taken from when you're put behind the wheel of your car to when the race starts is too short in Sport mode. I like to dial in certain settings for launch in the MFD sometimes, and I'm getting no time to do it. GT6 quick match gave you a lot of time (probably too much.)​

2. Tone down transmission whine generally, turn up the engine sound in-cabin. Some cars seem worse than others.

3. Livelier force feedback. Just.. do whatever Kunos does with AC. Thanks! :lol:

4. Add an in-car view of dashboard w/o wheel.

5. TC less pulse-like and intrusive at lower settings.

6. Tiny tire temperature band around tread wear indicators should be thicker. Do they even matter? See #7.

7. Tire condition/temperature complexity. For when tire wear is enabled, I expect tire abuse to actually matter. In GT6, managing tires only mattered in long races where abuse resulted in faster tire wear. Someone running racing soft should see odd tire behavior after 3 or 4 laps of constantly overdriving the tires on an average twisty circuit. I'm not expecting AC-level complexity. I think this has a place in GT.

8. In sport mode, the screen displaying the winner of the event is a great touch. I think it should show 3rd, then 2nd, then the winner. I am a sucker for glory.​

These are things I suspect might be addressed in the final game, eventually, but will still list the here with optimism:

9. Driving view customization, like seat position and FOV.​

10. Some level of HUD customization, though I do plan on sticking with the "all information" view they give us by default.

11. Options for whether it alerts you of your SR level going up or down. I'd rather not know what the net change in SR was until after the race. Seeing that has become distracting and an unneeded frustration. If you wanted to know when/where/why SR change happened, it could show in replay.

12. I'll mention engine sounds here. They're improved for sure, but PD can always do better.
Anything else I don't like would be a more general characteristic of Gran Turismo that I wouldn't expect to change:

13. Physics. I feel like the game is really forgiving in a way that translates into inadequate punishment for sloppy driving behavior. The fastest, cleanest guys will always win, but the game does a lot of enabling. Why I wouldn't change it? Because it makes the game way more accessible for controller users. Go play AC on a controller. I wouldn't expect anyone to deal with that. As long as the physics can't be taken advantage of to go faster by driving some weird way, it's all good.​

14. Tire squeal. It can seem a little excessive, but I think it has a well thought out purpose as supplemental information for the driver, who (particularly when using a controller) can not receive the important grip information from the tires otherwise.​

Lastly, I haven't run into a single bug yet. There are official channels for bug reporting and forum-style discussion, though I don't have access to the latter.

Fantastic write-up. I really cant believe PD are calling this game a beta? What were they doing all this time?? Why did they tease a launch last year when the game is so obviously unfinished?
They really should work faster. Or fire existing employees and get some efficient and talented ones

My biggest complaints/rage comments however are

1. Penalty system. Are you serious? Did you not Improve GT6s penalty system at all? Unbelievable. You literally carried over GT6s penalty system...didnt even change it. What's the point of this beta if it's all the same Anyways?

2. That stupidly Iinsignificant blind spot indicator. At least make it big enough so you can see the darn thing! Or replace it altogether for something more
useful than what we had in GT6. Use your brain or take some Initiative from this wonderfully talented community! How do you expect people to race clean without something practical to inform of driver whereabouts?

3. AI. What is it with GT games and dumb AI? You do realise you're willingly driving some of your die-hard customers and new customers away? At least give us some sliders or something. Your game isn't next gen. Unless being good looking is all that matters to you. I'm a die-hard GT fan and even I am getting sick of how underwhelming this whole series has become. It has improved so little in areas that matter so much to the game's overall value And usefullness as the "real driving simulator" It appears PD as of late (past 5 years) cannot make actual improvements to core parts of the series with any sort of efficiency and would rather milk the series dry with flashy graphics. Similar to COD franchise.

Last edited:
Is it just me or do all the tarmacs look and feel the same (brand new and shiny)? Race car drivers always talk about how each track has it's own personality and nothing from GTS has showed this.
Actually brand hatch track looks pretty dusty and beat up in GTS. While the track atmosphere is no where like PC its way better than GT6. The first half of Brand Hatch looks kinda whore down. In GT6 the track looks way cleaner. Also I love how you can here the PA system while driving in the beginning of the track and in replays. If I was PD I would definitely try to implement some of those great track fuction PC cars has.

Last edited:
From the footage I've seen the sounds are definitely better, but something is still off about them that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it's lack of reverb or something similar?
It sounds digitized, electronic. Like someone made it at home on a pc rather than from a real car. Still "too perfect" to coin a phrase.

Not much to hate about the game. My only major complaint is being reset onto track when you go off. The nitpicky complaints are some textures on the cars glitch on track, but other than that, it's a solid game.

All NDA's come to a end I suppose I'll just stock up on footage going through tracks and cars.

"replicate or stream the Beta Product’s audio and video output to third-party services supported by the PlayStation4 system where the Beta Product permits use of the Share button and where SIEA has the rights to permit you to record, edit and share the Beta Product’s content. This limited, non-exclusive license includes recording portions of the Beta Product’s content to the PlayStation®4 system and to use that system’s tools to edit those recordings." I'll take replicate and use of 3rd party services as it's a go ahead on using a Elgato to record from share and Upload it.
That's the opposite of what it says, an elgato capture card is a device, not a service. Service is talking about streaming and video locations like Twitch, Youtube, and Facebook. It explicitly states you are only allowed to record it and stream it using the built in PS4 share, and if you record, edit it using tools on the PS4 only.

I just got the beta and tried it out last night. I just have a question about unlocking the cars through the daily workout if some of you wouldn't mind answering. Now, I know you unlock cars by doing the "Driving Marathon" (which is drive 42km or 26mi) and I've unlocked two cars. I kept driving for a while racking up more km, but I wasn't unlocking anything, my line graph just kept progressing and now I'm at 213km in just one night of having the game. So I'm left wondering now...

Q: Can you only unlock two cars per day? (meaning just drive 42km/26mi and wait to do it again the next day to unlock another car)

Back