1.03 update adds ONLINE ONLY mechanical damage (No further details known.)

  • Thread starter Thread starter fabianw
  • 638 comments
  • 114,710 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm... I noticed that damage is VERY expensive. I have an 88C-V, and I have drove it very respectfully, and have not managed to get any chasis damage, until today...

I was racing around La Sarthe, and I had a spin at the chicane before the start line, I went off, and only touched a wall lightly. A light flashed on the right wheel area, and the car wobbled for a couple of hundred yards before righting itself. I popped into GT Auto to check for damage, and I got a 500K bill! :eek:

The one thing I can't fathom is why my car still handles great. After discovering the 500K bill, I did some grinding at Indianapolis Speedway, and far from having a broken car, I was improving my, already improving lap times. PD need to marry up all the different damage implementations in GT5, so they work in concert. This is still a great update though 👍

In a nutshell, if you hit the left front of your car the left front wheel wobbles, likewise for the other 3 wheels. You can supposedly damage the engine too. Making a pit stop repairs all damage.

Thanks pal! 👍
 
I can't download it. I'm getting error around 90% every time. It's my 6th try and I'm still getting the same thing. Am I the only one? :(

I had kinda same problem with the first patch, try tomorrow while putting in dawnload a stupid thing on psn (i.e. I used some demo games, it seems like the patch flow can be helped be downloading something on psn, at least it happen to me). Now after my second attempt I'm ready with the installed patch. Hope it work for you too!
 
Hmmm... I noticed that damage is VERY expensive. I have an 88C-V, and I have drove it very respectfully, and have not managed to get any chasis damage, until today...

I was racing around La Sarthe, and I had a spin at the chicane before the start line, I went off, and only touched a wall lightly. A light flashed on the right wheel area, and the car wobbled for a couple of hundred yards before righting itself. I popped into GT Auto to check for damage, and I got a 500K bill! :eek:

The one thing I can't fathom is why my car still handles great. After discovering the 500K bill, I did some grinding at Indianapolis Speedway, and far from having a broken car, I was improving my, already improving lap times. PD need to marry up all the different damage implementations in GT5, so they work in concert. This is still a great update though 👍



Thanks pal! 👍

There is two forms of damage one is temporary one is permanent untill you go pits and get repairs. If its on permanent the car will not fix it self it will wobble and drive horrible till you fix it.
 
Interesting. So if you damage your car in an online race, leave the race and enter a new race, I assume all the damage is gone? And it doesn't cost you any credits to repair it?

All damage is gone after a pit stop, I deliberately went out and battered my car about, got all 4 wheels damaged and the red mark on the middle of the car display indicating damage which I presume is the engine or transmission, went to the pits and the car was good as new afterwards, except the visual damage of course.
 
The GT auto chassis thing is just your normal chassis wear, you drive any of the million plus cr cars any amount of time gt auto will show a 500k repair bill. But you will not have to repair it for a good long while period. Longer you drive the car the more the chassis loosens up at some point the car will get so loose that you will start sliding and or spinning out where you could normally put the power down, that is when you really need to visit gt auto and get it fixed up.
 
Why damage online only?
Because in GT mode the AI will not chop across a chicane and plough into the side of you at full throttle to deliberately take you out
 
So does this patch encourage clean driving or does it make the rammers even more hungry for destruction? I fear the latter as there no penalty/reward system in place yet.
 
Hello all,

I got the update but I'm wondering because I keep seeing posts where people say they got a damage bill in GT auto,but isn't straigthening the chassis and rebuilding the engine just an option that you can do after your car has done some mileage, does it really indicate damage after this update?
 
All damage is gone after a pit stop, I deliberately went out and battered my car about, got all 4 wheels damaged and the red mark on the middle of the car display indicating damage which I presume is the engine or transmission, went to the pits and the car was good as new afterwards, except the visual damage of course.

...on the weekend I was in a friend's lounge and we were free-running Calsonic GTRs at Deep Forest, and I hit the wall many times and my laptimes were suffering. The car itself was also pretty banged-up looking.

...as I exited the lounge and immediately selected "Go To Track" again, the damage was gone and the car was capable of running fast laps again.

All the best
Maz


👍 Thanks guys. So now we know, pitting fixes mechanical damage and, apparently, after the race is over, any damage repairs itself automatically. At least online. And for now. :lol:


I was racing around La Sarthe, and I had a spin at the chicane before the start line, I went off, and only touched a wall lightly. A light flashed on the right wheel area, and the car wobbled for a couple of hundred yards before righting itself. I popped into GT Auto to check for damage, and I got a 500K bill!

PD need to marry up all the different damage implementations in GT5, so they work in concert.

As I'm sure others will point out, and I think you sort of realized this yourself, the chassis repair in GT Auto has nothing to do with 'repairing' a damaged car. At least currently. Personally, I wish Sony would disable this feature until proper GT mode damage has been patched in. I wonder how many people mistakenly spent a lot of credits repairing cars they didn't have to.

I really wonder how this is all going to turn out.
 
Why damage online only?
Because in GT mode the AI will not chop across a chicane and plough into the side of you at full throttle to deliberately take you out
seems so :D or maybe also the fact that they have to modify the AI so they can get damage too and continue to race (hey give them a couple of months, they had only 5 years to do so.....:D), maybe now they would just keep spinning out or something like this if their cars gets damaged

So does this patch encourage clean driving or does it make the rammers even more hungry for destruction? I fear the latter as there no penalty/reward system in place yet.
it should encourage clean drving but I'm not so sure about that, now for those idiots ramming online is going to be better because now they can really ruin somebody's race
 
Last edited:
Ok I get why there is no mechanical damage in GTLife ( though, they could add it with the option so that gamers can decide will they use it or not ) ...

BUT ! Why there is no mechanical damage option in offline split-screen multiplayer? This really makes me sad =(
 
Is it me or has the patch eliminated the magnetised effect between cars. Only briefly raced a quick ASpec and the cars no longer sucked me in.

BTW great patch for online. Good work.
 
You moved the update about the patch destroying game files..


This is a bad move, people will not find it in this thread, and thus it is of no use to about 90% of people,. with its own thread the whole community can see it.


Sometimes i question the sanity of the mods here. sure clean up the crap but dont move important information out of sight.

One site with no actual references and a big question mark in the title = possible scare-mongering to drag in the hits and up advertising revenue.

Tell you what when we actually have some proof that this is causing problems then we may give it a separate thread.

Until then it gets treated the same as all the other update 'xyz' broke my PS3/360/killed my puppies.

I would also strongly caution you in regard to attitude, you have a problem with the action a mod takes, then PM them. Posting it publicly is rarely a wise move, particularly when its borderline insults.


Scaff
 
thank GOD damage isnt implimented in career mode

If i was doing 50 laps of some race and then got bumped from behind by the AI once and couldnt finish the race id be PISSEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

EDIT: and so would you
 
Well one thing that seems to have not been touched on at all is the fact that shadows are looking much better in replays etc.

Have read a few posts elsewhere about the patch breaking people's pictures and replays.

And i hope the chronic whiners that want damage in a spec get it enjoy your broken controllers when the "AI" plows into you and destroys your race over and over. Then you all should be happy you will not even need to wait to put your own car into a wall the AI will do it for you.
 
Hey folks!

Is the so called "performance patch" included in this new 1.03 patch? Are there still some framerate drops ?
 
I'm still hoping for a fix for ps1 era jaggies and a few levels still have way too much lag that I just skip playing them.
 
I'm afraid, Amar, it's as the guys have said. G25 is fine with DFP menu and mapping buttons all over the place. G27 however is not configured through the DFP menu, and there is no way to reconfigure any of the buttons, including the ones on the shifter.

I too have noticed that on most occasions, the shift from 1st to 2nd, or even 3rd to 2nd, fails more often than not. Initially I did not feel I had this problem, but it's begun to surface much more and I recognise it as an issue.

G27 users will have to grin and bear the hit and miss clutch shifting for the time being, and map buttons using the Sixaxis/DS3 controllers.

I'm looking forward to installing the new update hugely when I get home 👍

All the best
Maz

Does having damage on, in online mode, not fix the shifter problem and just cause damage to the transmission?

I use a fanatec wheel and have the same issue.
 
Not complaining about the game pal! And yeah, people have the right to voice their opinions, but what is happening here its a massive whining attack to what used to be an awesome place to be! It's really HARD to read an adult post with opinions. All I read is the same: "game is crap", "what they done in 6 years?", "OMG, veyron is standard", "damage is crap", "online is crap", "all is crap"...

It's rare to find some constructive criticism around here.

I know, I was just pulling your leg :) I agree with all your points here but give it a month or two and hopefully normal service will be resumed.

Also on the whining I think people need to keep in mind that the important parts of this game are truly amazing (i.e physics/handling) and a lot of time was put into making them great but I will admit there are some features that I would like to be "fixed"...probably best not to talk about endurance/championship mid-race saves :mad:
 
Hey folks!

Is the so called "performance patch" included in this new 1.03 patch? Are there still some framerate drops ?

I've never heard of any "performance patch".
 
I would like to make a point

So far we had something like a patch a week

At this rate there may be 3 more before christmas

I think this is an amazing pace of updates and shows a certain level of care and dedication to quality. Sure, this one patch didn't do much, but the next one is already around the corner and probably many more. I think bitching is ill-advised and this game is getting a lot of post-release love from devs and I for one have nothing to complain about.
 
7HO
EDIT:My apologies to the mods in advance if this is taken the wrong way, it is intended to be a constructive post and I began it before you posted in the thread. I only read your posts after it was submitted. I don't think it is unacceptable but please delete it if you think it is.

Wow this is a crazy thread. So much complaining about an incredible update that has exceeded my expectations, I think PD got this one 100% right.

First off many of us had anticipated and even hoped that this mechanical damage update would only be applied to online at first. This is where it was required most so that online races would be a racing simulation and not bumper car racing. Those of us that thought about it for more than half a second realised that applying mechanical damage to A spec races before the AI had been changed would make the game too frustrating. We also realised that if they implemented the updates in stages they could give us the much needed online damage sooner. Will we get A spec damage? I don't know and personally I don't think it is such a big deal, it would be great if we did get it with improved AI.

I keep reading comments about the G25/G27 not being supported. What exactly isn't supported, are you complaining just because the game doesn't include a crappy picture of your wheel. The wheel works, as has been explained countless times if you want to assign features to the buttons you can do so with the DFGT menu, sure some buttons might not do anything yet but it is a PC wheel and we don't know if those are coming. If I was PD I would focus on the most important/requested updates first. The wheel works so it wouldn't be top priority.

Sure I dreamed that GT5 would include the best features of every other title and be better in every way, it isn't. It turned out to be another driving game that is great but not really better with it's own flaws. If PD keep up the updates it will be better, overall it might even end up the best title but chances are that other titles will still trump it in key areas.

Here is what we know.

iRacing is the most realistic racing simulator but it has limited content and people complain about it's subscription scheme.

rFactor has great content and great physics but doesn't compare graphically and people complain about the online experience.

Forza is the reason we are disappointed in GT5. Turn10 beat PD by a year and implemented improvements that we dream were included in the GT series. The modification system, tuning and telemetry in Forza makes GT5's effort look like a joke, the customisation and storefront features are great additions that make the game more of a community experience, give it more depth and allow you to have a more personal experience but many simulation fans are not convinced by other areas of the game and think that certain physics are superior in GT5.

GT5 disappointed us, we expected the world and it didn't deliver. It created a new genre, the most beautiful disappointing game :lol: (that was a joke, hence the lol). The fact is GT5 focused on certain areas and did those great, unfortunately PD underestimated the competition and neglected other areas many fans wanted. For the purpose of this post I will divide physics into 4 areas, basic handling, force feedback, mods/tuning/realistic component modelling, damage. PD got one out of those great but failed with the others, now it has improved damage online and we know that Kaz has promised continued development based on the requests of the GT community.

The point is there are a number of titles available with different strengths, anyone is free to choose one as their favourite and play that or play as many as they want. There is no perfect driving/racing game yet, we know what we have and we know what our other options are and we know that PD has promised a commitment to improve this game according to our requests and so far they have remained true to that promise. It is going to take time to get most of our requests and there may be some we don't get but I think if there are overwhelming complaints even when PD do something good they might think there is no point in continuing and put all their effort into GT6 sooner. This is something that won't make any GT fans happy.

So in my opinion we should be congratulating PD on listening to us and getting this update right so far, let them know we still hope that they work on improving the AI and implement these damage options in other areas of the game as soon as possible. Continue to give constructive feedback about the areas of the game that are disappointing and let them know what we think should be done to improve it. But if we whinge when they do what we ask, if we complain about updates we have told will be coming later in the month not being included in this update even though we were told this update would be for the damage and got what we were promised when we were promised, if all we seem to do is complain all the time no matter what they do I can only see one outcome and it isn't good. Fact is that if this game is too disappointing and you feel that PD can do nothing right it might be time for you to look towards the alternatives. I'm reassured by this update that PD is trying to give us the game we want, I am certain that PD will not improve certain areas I wish they would and other titles will continue to embarrass GT5 in those areas but I believe if PD keep on the current path they are following they are on the way to making this the ultimate driving simulator, that may or may not be what you are looking for.

Straight! Fantastic Post! The best post I've read here. Thank You for your very "clean" thoughts!
 
This is a thread to discuss Update 1.03 and its contents.

It is not a thread to discuss what you want from the next update, the next Forza or for Christmas.

We have plenty of threads on these other topics, locate the search tool, have a look, discuss them in the correct thread (or if you are 1000% sure it doesn't have a thread start one).


Post on topic or risk losing the ability to post here for a few days.

I am serious, any member not following this will be given a 24 hr ban from GT Planet.


Scaff
 
Im thankful for all the updates. Right now, Im telling my friends who didnt impulse buy the game like I did to wait until I give you the go ahead after a sufficient amount of stuff is patched up in this game, before you go and spend $60 on a beta.

You have to wonder, at what point do they give up patching GT5 and start concentrating 100% on GT6? Are they working on both right now, with a smaller team dedicated to these patches, while the majority are working on GT6? Would be nice to know their plans. Id like to know are they committed to getting THIS game perfect before they stop patching, or will they just fix a few things and say, ah screw it, lets just work on GT6 now.
 
Seriously gents - are some of you trying to get a 24 hour ban?

On-topic now and as its not a Forza update that's about as off-topic as it can get.

Scaff
 
I like the fact that they are doing something to begin with. most developers (like Infinity ward with Modern Warfare) release it, then never touch it again. Please don't start up with how GT5 is more broken than MW, or anything else like that, because it's not. They are LISTENING to us. That's a BIG DEAL. Even though there are problems with the game, the fact that they are listening to the community is a good thing. I am happy with the new addition to the online, and continue to look forward to the future. I like this game, a lot, and I have liked it since release day, even with it's minor flaws. I say minor because the physics engine of the game (the part I really care about) has been so well done. PD is making very large steps in the right direction, and it can only get better from here. Tweaking and tuning the damage, both mechanical and visual, creating more content, improving on the already improved AI, and so on. Irregardless of what anyone says, PD HAS made steps toward the future, you can see that in the differences between this game and GT4. Oh, and wobbly cars FTW!
 
for the second time - dont know what happened to my previous post??????

Yeah I installed this morning and it appears I have cars missing.:grumpy:

Did you also loose the money you spent on them???

Moderators: next time you erase posts please make sure you're not erasing anything that has to to with the topic - you could have edited the off-topic part of the post - not that it was all that off-topic because it was GT5/PS3 related
 
Last edited:
Wow.. Been reading this whole thread now. I haven't tried it yet cuz i have my racing rig at my friend's house. I think this update is great. One step closer to perfection.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back