2014 United Sports Car Championship

  • Thread starter Thread starter Earth
  • 6,133 comments
  • 323,666 views
That was a terrible crash. Really hope they're alright.:nervous:
 
What was the issue with the Ferrari?
 
I have to say that I really appreciate how crashes like that aren't being shown again in the US, until the situation is cleared. Kudos to the director.
I'm assuming it's a Fox thing.

ABC showed Dan Wheldon's crash probably 50 times, including after the announcement.

Fox last year didn't show Simonsen's crash after they realized how bad it was. I think they showed one replay.
 
where did the #91 Viper pick up a lap on the #911 Porsche??...somewhere i missed that
 
where did the #91 Viper pick up a lap on the #911 Porsche??...somewhere i missed that
I think it had something to do with the red flag. The Porsche got stopped behind the accident while the Viper kept going. The live timing seems to be mistake-prone...
 
Last edited:
I'm assuming it's a Fox thing.

ABC showed Dan Wheldon's crash probably 50 times, including after the announcement.

Fox last year didn't show Simonsen's crash after they realized how bad it was. I think they showed one replay.
Haven't seen the race back then, but usually when I see US broadcasts, they don't show replays.
While it was the opposite here in Germany so far.
 
What was the issue with the Ferrari?

Presumabley an Engine/electrical failure. Maluecci radio'd the team saying that the car shut down, which is why he was moving so slowly before the hit.
 
I think they changed the procedures with replays after the Dan Wheldon incident.

Then again, ABC/ESPN aren't the greatest with coverage.

Edit: Race order is being set and then they should be going again under yellow.
 
Last edited:
Not that I want to see the crash but it would be nice to watch any of the race beyond the first two hour. Fox Sports has the broadcast rights all locked up but they are putting it on their sub channels that most US customers do not have. Europeans have better coverage than what is available to Americans. Foxs sports has relegated sports car racing to well below cage fighting and college hoops. IMSA better get a clue beofe the lack of coverage dooms their series. Bring back Speed!
 
I do hope both drivers are ok.

Just a bit off-topic, The Pace Car has gained a proper lightbar compared to the last years four small lights on the roof.
 
Not that I want to see the crash but it would be nice to watch any of the race beyond the first two hour. Fox Sports has the broadcast rights all locked up but they are putting it on their sub channels that most US customers do not have. Europeans have better coverage than what is available to Americans. Foxs sports has relegated sports car racing to well below cage fighting and college hoops. IMSA better get a clue beofe the lack of coverage dooms their series. Bring back Speed!

:lol: It was exactly the same even when it was Speed. They do the same thing for Le Mans 24 every year also. You see a few hours on the main channel. A few hours on the second tier channel, then have to stream if you want to watch overnight. Can't be bothered to cover a once a year event properly.
 
Lower extremities, meaning like legs and/or feet? At least that doesn't sound fatal. 👍 *sigh of relief*
 
From a source track-side (race official), both drivers are alive, Memo has injuries in lower extremities, don't know how bad.
Not saying anything officially here, but legs. The way that front end folded meant his legs will have taken a heavy hit.
 
I'm watching a stream on Justin.tv while getting caught up on the 1st 2 hours that was actually on TV (thank you DVR!) that says it's Motors TV, and I've heard some of you mention it. What/where is this channel? Is it European?

On the crash, I was watching my DVR with the timing/scoring up live but I did finally see the replay... I hope everyone is ok. I've seen some bad crashes over the years and that was right up there! Hoping for good news.
 
I'm watching a stream on Justin.tv while getting caught up on the 1st 2 hours that was actually on TV (thank you DVR!) that says it's Motors TV, and I've heard some of you mention it. What/where is this channel? Is it European?

http://www. vipboxus. co/motorsports/203824/1/united-sportscar-championship-rolex-24-daytona-international-speedway-live-stream-online.html
 
I'm watching a stream on Justin.tv while getting caught up on the 1st 2 hours that was actually on TV (thank you DVR!) that says it's Motors TV, and I've heard some of you mention it. What/where is this channel? Is it European?

It's basically the European equivalent of SPEED before they went off the air.
 
Not saying anything officially here, but legs. The way that front end folded meant his legs will have taken a heavy hit.
Definitely not unusual, let's hope that's all indeed.
 
Not that I want to see the crash but it would be nice to watch any of the race beyond the first two hour. Fox Sports has the broadcast rights all locked up but they are putting it on their sub channels that most US customers do not have. Europeans have better coverage than what is available to Americans. Foxs sports has relegated sports car racing to well below cage fighting and college hoops. IMSA better get a clue beofe the lack of coverage dooms their series. Bring back Speed!
Fox Sports doesn't relegate racing below college ball and ufc, people do. Majority of americans do not care about racing and that reflects in the amount and types of coverage. It's so difficult for people to grasp this.
 
Definitely not unusual, let's hope that's all indeed.
The area around his head and upper body looked intact, just the front end folded in...
 
I fell asleep before the crash so didn't see exactly what happened but it looks like Gidley hit the Ferrari just after the hairpin in the infield, which is not exactly a high speed part of the track. Granted the speed difference is exaggerated by the Ferrari going slowly but how can the organisers/manufacturers guarantee the safety of the drivers of the other DP cars for the next 20 hours at high speed sections on the quicker sections such as the banking?

Most importantly I hope both drivers are ok/make a full recovery.
 
Considering he had no time to brace himself for that crash, as he didn't see it coming, I'd be surprised if he didn't have broken ankle(s) and leg(s).
 
I fell asleep before the crash so didn't see exactly what happened but it looks like Gidley hit the Ferrari just after the hairpin in the infield, which is not exactly a high speed part of the track. Granted the speed difference is exaggerated by the Ferrari going slowly but how can the organisers/manufacturers guarantee the safety of the drivers of the other DP cars for the next 20 hours at high speed sections on the quicker sections such as the banking?

Most importantly I hope both drivers are ok/make a full recovery.
It was at a point, where the DPs have around 180-200 kph.
 
Considering he had no time to brace himself for that crash, as he didn't see it coming, I'd be surprised if he didn't have broken ankle(s) and leg(s).
By 'lower extremities', I think legs are the main thing here. That would explain having to get cut out of the car.
 
I think it had something to do with the red flag. The Porsche got stopped behind the accident while the Viper kept going. The live timing seems to be mistake-prone...

makes sense...i was trying to figure it out based on the official scoring and couldnt...
 
Back