2014 United Sports Car Championship

  • Thread starter Thread starter Earth
  • 6,133 comments
  • 323,219 views
Hey, if you can't handle this, stay away from the Radio Le Mans forum haha
No I'm actually glad I got all this figured out lol. Never fully got the picture of what IMSA did to the class, but now I do...not as crazy as it seemed. :cheers: :gtpflag:
 
Somebody doesn't like LMP2 cars apparently. :rolleyes:

I still think that the GTD class should be pure FIA spec GT3 cars, would allow the teams to run anywhere in the world if they wanted, and you wouldn't need to modify the car in any way...plus the manufacturers could easily support teams in the class in the series. Instead of needing a special kit.
I totally agree. GT3 is the best GT racing spec around and we see that with the PWC.

I'm not anti-LMP2; I'm anti "let's run what 2 teams have and make everyone else buy new cars"
 
I totally agree. GT3 is the best GT racing spec around and we see that with the PWC.

I'm not anti-LMP2; I'm anti "let's run what 2 teams have and make everyone else buy new cars"
I'm anti- Let's make everyone buy a car which only four teams run, instead of the car 30+ teams use.
 
Back to the P argument. XD There goes the neighborhood. :scared: :lol: Makes the Racer comment section look like

I'm not anti-LMP2; I'm anti "let's run what 2 teams have and make everyone else buy new cars"

4 teams, Oak, Delta/Panoz, ESM, and Mazda which account for 6 of the 13 cars. :p And are only a few steps from being run around the globe. I'm anti-keep using this old car that only 7 teams in this world use and costs as much total as an LMP2. :sly:
 
Last edited:
4 teams, Oak, Delta/Panoz, ESM, and Mazda which account for 6 of the 13 cars. :p
And Murphy. And Greaves. And TDS. And KCMG. And Alpine. And Race Performance. And Sebastien Loeb Racing. And AF Corse. And Delta-ADR. And Caterham. And JOTA Sport. And Strakka. And Labre. And Morand. And Status. And DKR.
 
And Murphy. And Greaves. And TDS. And KCMG. And Alpine. And Race Performance. And Sebastien Loeb Racing. And AF Corse. And Delta-ADR. And Caterham. And JOTA Sport. And Strakka. And Labre. And Morand. And Status. And DKR.
Well I was just saying the IMSA teams. XD Don't forget SMP Racing... :p
 
I'm anti- Let's make everyone buy a car which only four teams run, instead of the car 30+ teams use.
Let's think about this: There were 8 teams in Grand am DP. 5 ALMS LMP1 and LMP2 teams combined in 2013. We all saw how all of ZERO prototype teams from the WEC ran the ALMS race when the ALMS and WEC were at the same track on the same weekend at COTA. That doesn't show how teams from overseas don't give a rat's behind about running multiple series with the same spec, so why make 8 teams(14 cars) change for 5 teams(7 cars) that were in the ALMS the year before the merger especially since 2 of those said 5 ALMS teams aren't in existence anymore. L5 has federal investigation on them (not caused in any way by the merger) Pickett has sold Muscle Milk therefore shutting the team down entirely (I predicted this and this too isn't part of the merger shutting a team down) That leaves Delta Wing, Dyson, and ESM. ESM is a series sponsor, so they're not going anywhere, and Daddy Don Panoz likes his DW too much, so it was included. Therefore, the only team from the ALMS that lost out was Dyson who finished maybe three races last year. Big loss.

For DP, 8Star went from 1 full season DP and 1 that ran as many rounds as it did once it was complete to 1 LMPC, Gainsco was endurance rounds only so they count even before the crash, Starworks went from 2 full season to 1 on a limited program and 2 PC cars, Sahlens went from 2 full season DPs to 2 Conti ST Porsche Caymans, Michael Shank racing went from 2 full season to 1 full season, and AX went from 2 full season cars down to 1 full season and 1 endurance. Seems like losing 9 full season DPs is pretty crappy on IMSA's part. That's more than the entire ALMS prototype grid. Even if you don't count the second 8Star car because his renter, Emilio De Guida, passed away, that's still a greater amount of DPs lost than the ALMS 2013 LMP1 and LMP2 grid combined.

This goes without saying the 2013 DP grid of 13 full season cars is more or very close to this year's ELMS, ASLMS, and WEC LMP2 grids combined if I'm not mistaken.

Just a little perspective
 
LMP2 is the future of customer prototype racing and IMSA should get on the ship before it sails...new Alpine, new Ligier, new HPD, new Dome, and new Oreca. And now all-pro line ups will be allowed, easier to come to the States.
 
Yeah about that, LMP2 is the future of customer prototype racing and IMSA should get on the ship before it sails...new Alpine, new Ligier, new HPD, new Dome, and new Oreca.
Considering in 2017 there's an entire class restructure, everyone will have to buy something new then, so why make 75% of American prototype teams buy 2 brand new cars in 4 years?
 
Considering in 2017 there's an entire class restructure, everyone will have to buy something new then, so why make 75% of American prototype teams buy 2 brand new cars in 4 years?
Trade in the old thing or get an upgrade. :P The chassis manufactures aren't making these things without 2017 in mind.
 
Trade in the old thing or get an upgrade. :p The chassis manufactures aren't making these things without 2017 in mind.
Honestly, I don't think so. I think they're churning out everything they had planned now to get as much ROI as they can before it's time to change. I won't say you're wrong though. After all, the constructors are probably the first to know what the crap is actually happening :lol:

As for the series, I'd be very thankful for the merger from an ALMS fan's standpoint. Had they ran separate, the prototype grid full season would've been Dyson v. Delta Wing in LMP1 and an ESM parade in LMP2
 
As for the series, I'd be very thankful for the merger from an ALMS fan's standpoint. Had they ran separate, the prototype grid full season would've been Dyson v. Delta Wing in LMP1 and an ESM parade in LMP2
Eh I guess. :/
 
My main support for my theory is that when this merger (really it's a grand am buyout of the ALMS) happened, the FIA/ACO set a 2016 LMP2 class restructure. My bet is that all those chassis makers like new HPD, the Ligier, etc. about ready, but who wants to buy a car for a knowing that it at most will be uncompetitive just a year or 2 later. That made the restructure pushed back a year giving those guys some time to get their cars out and raced.

Eh I guess. :/
My thing is: someone will be screwed in these situations regardless. IMSA, imo, tried to screw no one and ended up screwed a lot more people than if they had just said "ok all DP with a few upgrades in the top class" as opposed to this crazy BoP that's got half the teams from both sides heading for the hills
 
I don't have much time to watch motorsport online and have to watch when I can so it does take me longer and I have just gone done watching Watkins Glen and I am pleased we saw a Brit 1-2 with Richard Westbrook in the Spirit of Daytona winning from Alex Brundle in the OAK Racing Nissan. Sad that Reger van der Zande caused that incident with Rojas because we would have see a longer battle between the two and Barbosa. But still a great race. Can't wait for the Mobil1 GP.
 
How big is the season finale Petit Le Mans race?

I'm considering going, however it's a 15 hour drive and would cost me $500-$700, would the experience be worth it?
 
How big is the season finale Petit Le Mans race?

I'm considering going, however it's a 15 hour drive and would cost me $500-$700, would the experience be worth it?
I drive 8 hours to go every year.

If you are going, decide quick. Nearby hotels fill up fast. I booked mine in February.
 
How big is the season finale Petit Le Mans race?

I'm considering going, however it's a 15 hour drive and would cost me $500-$700, would the experience be worth it?
I'd wait and do it next year when things are all sorted and there's more teams
 
I'd wait and do it next year when things are all sorted and there's more teams
I'd go ahead and go now. Car counts should be already picking up. There's at least 2 more Prototype cars that'll be there, and it looks like the championship will be coming down to the wire this year. Not to mention the quantum physics points championship called the Patron NAEC
 
How big is the season finale Petit Le Mans race?

I'm considering going, however it's a 15 hour drive and would cost me $500-$700, would the experience be worth it?
I'm guessing, your headed to the next race at Mosport?

I would go to a race that's closer before traveling that kind of distance.

But with that said, I was just at Watkins Glen (1st time) which is nearly a 6 hour drive each way for me.
And I can say that after going to Lime Rock (10 minute drive) for the last 7 seasons in a row I felt almost spoiled at Watkins Glen.
It is a lot different than Lime Rock and well worth the drive IMO.
So maybe Road Atlanta would be better for you if you've been to Mosport many times.
I'm sure if you go, it will be worth the time but try to be there for the whole weekend which may start Thursday with practice and/or qualifying.

The weekend at Watkins Glen was loaded with 5 different series (all IMSA) and the track was plenty busy all weekend, except Sunday which only had the 6 hour race.
Petit has the GT3 Cup Porsches listed along with the Conti cars and IMSA lites, no Lambos listed.

A couple shots I took along the way at WGI.
ccenzo 1200.jpg valiete 1200.jpg momo more 1200.jpg falken girls 1200.jpg esm 1 1200.jpg 007 door 1200.jpg bus stop 1200.jpg WGI_Panorama2.jpg
wolf 1200.jpg wut mullet 1200.jpg
 
I must say that this whole USCR deal has been most interesting. Not once have I ever questioned the former American Le Mans Series and the former Grand-American Road Racing Association and their respective brands of sportscar racing. I have been for the most part pleased with bringing together these two series into one united brand and providing intense racing. I have also found that while the awesome top-level racing machines (i.e. Audi R18 e-Tron, Toyota TS040 Hybrid, etc.) are great to see, I actually don't miss them in the USCR. Seeing the Daytona Prototypes and the LMP2-style prototypes are great enough to see as the top-tier competition in the series. And of course, don't forget the usually frenzied GT action. Who doesn't love seeing cars like the Corvettes, the 458 Italia, the garden variety of Porsches, and the R8 GT cars (compared to the dominating Audi R8 LMPs) ?

I still think this series has plenty of upside. Up next is the series' only Canadian venue- and regardless of what it's called today, I [and others] still call it Mosport. Canadian Tire Motorsports Park usually is no stranger to insanity. I will sure look forward to seeing whatever happens at Mosport on the weekend of July 18-20.
 
I must say that this whole USCR deal has been most interesting. Not once have I ever questioned the former American Le Mans Series and the former Grand-American Road Racing Association and their respective brands of sportscar racing. I have been for the most part pleased with bringing together these two series into one united brand and providing intense racing. I have also found that while the awesome top-level racing machines (i.e. Audi R18 e-Tron, Toyota TS040 Hybrid, etc.) are great to see, I actually don't miss them in the USCR. Seeing the Daytona Prototypes and the LMP2-style prototypes are great enough to see as the top-tier competition in the series. And of course, don't forget the usually frenzied GT action. Who doesn't love seeing cars like the Corvettes, the 458 Italia, the garden variety of Porsches, and the R8 GT cars (compared to the dominating Audi R8 LMPs) ?

I still think this series has plenty of upside. Up next is the series' only Canadian venue- and regardless of what it's called today, I [and others] still call it Mosport. Canadian Tire Motorsports Park usually is no stranger to insanity. I will sure look forward to seeing whatever happens at Mosport on the weekend of July 18-20.

Straight from the get-go all the established teams pretty much came on board like OAK, Action Express and Chip Ganassi in the Prototypes and people like Falken Tire and Flying Lizard in the GT's. It isn't as if ISMA had to go out and attract a whole new clientele like this Formula E thing where The existing Rolex Sports Car and ALMS teams were already more than interested by what the USCC was about and pretty much knew and trusted the USCC to deliver much of what was offered up in the ALMS and Rolex Sports Car Championship.
 
@JohnBM01 the Mosport/CTMP race is this Sunday, July 13th. It will be broadcast live on FS1 👍
 
That race is THIS weekend? Okay. My apologies.
 
Anyone up at Mosport this weekend come find me, I'm racing in my first pro race in the MX-5 Cup series in the Skip Barber class supporting the Tudor series. :)
Good luck! Have fun! Pictures and/or video if possible would be awesome 👍
 
I wish I could go :(
 
Good luck, Mac! 👍
 
Back