2019 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter yellosnake
  • 986 comments
I am actually crying right now.

This one hurt...
This one hurt a lot...

Last edited:
Thanks for screwing yet ANOTHER driver out of his first win Newman! Real class act! /s
The #95 winning would've put the #6 deeper out of a playoff spot.

Trust me, Newman's frustrated me since the second Phoenix race in 2014 when he pushed Larson out of the way to take the final 4 spot from Gordon. He's had reasons to drive aggressively.

The #95 winning would've put the #6 deeper out of a playoff spot.

Trust me, Newman's frustrated me since the second Phoenix race in 2014 when he pushed Larson out of the way to take the final 4 spot from Gordon. He's had reasons to drive aggressively.

When you are literally multiple laps down and not even close to being in the lucky dog position, there is 0 reason to screw over the leader of the race and damage his car by getting in the way, it is ridiculous.

When you are literally multiple laps down and not even close to being in the lucky dog position, there is 0 reason to screw over the leader of the race and damage his car by getting in the way, it is ridiculous.
Tell me that when you're fighting to stay within the playoff cutoff line and the potential winner can force you further back.

Hamlin was considerably faster than DiBurrito even before he caught Newman, so I doubt that slight contact really made a difference. I was really hoping he could pull it out, but there was no way he would have held off Hamlin without a GWC and a great restart.

Hamlin was considerably faster than DiBurrito even before he caught Newman, so I doubt that slight contact really made a difference. I was really hoping he could pull it out, but there was no way he would have held off Hamlin without a GWC and a great restart.
Matt did say his car tightened up after the contact. Not saying he would have been able to hold off Denny if not for that, but who knows. It sure didn't help. I had an odd feeling before the race even started that Newman trying to keeping himself from getting lapped would somehow play into the finish of the race. :lol:

Anyhoo...I'm gutted for Matt. I really hope someone (preferably not a backmarker) picks him up next year.

It's a real shame. Matty D is putting a 20th place car (that's being generous) in the top 5 at the most difficult tracks on the circuit. The state of the sport today where you NEED a big sponsor regardless of talent may never let him get the seat he deserves. I'm praying he gets a good sponsor because he shows himself as a likeable, marketable driver on and off track.

Keep in mind this is the same #95 team that Kasey Kahne - a solid driver - only mustered a lucky top 5 finish with last year.

DiBenedetto is a top 5 driver in Cup. He's only limited by the team he drives for. My hope is that he can snag the the #14 or #41 for SHR next year but that's wishful thinking.

Getting Bowyer's ride would be tough. NASCAR still needs guys like him while the next generation establish themselves. But I think Guido has more talent than a lot of the young guns that are skating in on name (although I do like Blaney and Elliot and both are fast).

It sounds like the best option is to get in with Ragan and do a full time season in Xfinity and see where things are next year.

The 95 team is nowhere close to the same team Kahne drove for. It’s a Gibbs satellite team with 2nd tier/used Gibbs equipment, a former Gibbs crew chief, and a Gibbs trainee/extra pit crew. Anyone who thinks Dibenedetto is wheeling a backmarker car is delusional (see the his past Cup career to see what happens when you’re ACTUALLY driving backmarker equipment. You can’t compete no matter how good you are). It’s not a winning car by any means, but it’s at least at the same level as Ganassi/Childress/Roush. Top 5s are impressive, but he should be running top 15 every week and he really struggled the first half of the year. The team is finally gelling now but it’s too late. I can guarantee he entered this year knowing it would probably be a one year deal unless Erik Jones really struggled and they dropped him directly for Bell.

I would not be surprised to see him in a partial schedule for Gibbs in Xfinity next year (even though he’s vastly superior to Harrison Burton, who will probably get the full time 20 ride) in addition to whatever ride (probably FRM) he gets in Cup.

I’m glad he didn’t win this particular week since it would be another typical “REDEMPTION” storybook moment but I hope he gets a win before the year is out.

Just be glad Matt is probably being replaced by Bell who actually has talent, the situation would be much more embarrassing if he was getting dropped to move Brandon Jones up.

The 95 team is nowhere close to the same team Kahne drove for. It’s a Gibbs satellite team with 2nd tier/used Gibbs equipment, a former Gibbs crew chief, and a Gibbs trainee/extra pit crew. Anyone who thinks Dibenedetto is wheeling a backmarker car is delusional (see the his past Cup career to see what happens when you’re ACTUALLY driving backmarker equipment. You can’t compete no matter how good you are).

I can guarantee he entered this year knowing it would probably be a one year deal unless Erik Jones really struggled and they dropped him directly for Bell.

I would not be surprised to see him in a partial schedule for Gibbs in Xfinity next year (even though he’s vastly superior to Harrison Burton, who will probably get the full time 20 ride) in addition to whatever ride (probably FRM) he gets in Cup.

...the situation would be much more embarrassing if he was getting dropped to move Brandon Jones up
I'm agreeing with this part.

It’s not a winning car by any means, but it’s at least at the same level as Ganassi/Childress/Roush. Top 5s are impressive, but he should be running top 15 every week and he really struggled the first half of the year. The team is finally gelling now but it’s too late.

I’m glad he didn’t win this particular week since it would be another typical “REDEMPTION” storybook moment but I hope he gets a win before the year is out.

Just be glad Matt is probably being replaced by Bell who actually has talent...

I'm not agreeing with this part.

Unless Hemric is being dropped or Penske/RCR adds a team, nobody.
IIRC Bowyer and Suarez have contracts ending after this season. Kurt Busch's deal also ends after this year but he will likely remain with Ganassi until he retires. Honestly I would rather have Matt get the #14 instead of Bowyer keeping the ride while Suarez gets another year to keep the seat warm for Custer

Still a week until Darlington so more will probably show up, but as of right now, which tribute cars are y'all excited for?

The well is definitely starting to run dry, and we’re staring to see a lot of repetition, but there’s a few good ones out there. Bubba’s Adam Petty Spree car is pretty great even though it would’ve been better with the #45, and it’s rumoured that Logano is going to run Kevin Harvick’s Shell/Pennzoil scheme from a decade ago but they haven’t unveiled it yet. Lajoie’s Crunch car is good as well, as are the SHR tributes to all of Tony’s championship cars.

As usual there’s a few half-assed ones, like the 38 and Bowman’s Tim Richmond car.

I think DiBenedetto should have a quailty ride next year. No offenece to LFR, there not like Furniture Row was when they had JGR support. Yes he might've screwed up at Road America but that's motorsport, it happens. I think he should get a ride like SHR, JGR, etc. I hope he stays in the top tier next year.

They haven't if he's getting one.

I kinda want to see him get the Lightning McQueen paintjob given that it's the 95.
Do the dream-sequence Dinoco blue paint job and steal a picture next to Richard Petty.

The well is definitely starting to run dry, and we’re staring to see a lot of repetition, but there’s a few good ones out there. Bubba’s Adam Petty Spree car is pretty great even though it would’ve been better with the #45, and it’s rumoured that Logano is going to run Kevin Harvick’s Shell/Pennzoil scheme from a decade ago but they haven’t unveiled it yet. Lajoie’s Crunch car is good as well, as are the SHR tributes to all of Tony’s championship cars.

As usual there’s a few half-assed ones, like the 38 and Bowman’s Tim Richmond car.
I noticed Harvick is missing this year. Wonder what's planned there. And for what it's worth, Jimmie's Chevy Thunder tribute has a vote for me for best in show. I love everything Chevy Thunder.

PS, NASCAR really should hand out Best in Show each year.

I noticed Harvick is missing this year. Wonder what's planned there.
IMG_4205.JPG

Back