2019 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter yellosnake
  • 986 comments
I noticed Harvick is missing this year. Wonder what's planned there. And for what it's worth, Jimmie's Chevy Thunder tribute has a vote for me for best in show. I love everything Chevy Thunder.

PS, NASCAR really should hand out Best in Show each year.

I agree, Jimmie’s scheme wasn’t unveiled yet when I posted but it’s gone straight to the top of the list. I really like Tifft’s too but I always love the old-school short track look.

Throwback to this?
2f7366c67c3c3f5d3d00973faa3b01d2.jpg

For 90's throwback weekend, a classic #4 Ernie Irvan/Sterling Marlin Kodak car would have been awesome. That car won 2 straight Daytona 500s in the 90's.

638e8302b1f1f0588f4f395b88100b88.jpg

I could see the 4 in Xfinity doing that one day but Harvick probably never. It’d definitely be a popular one though since that is definitely one of the most iconic 90’s cars.

Joey Logano's throwback was my favorite. Then I found out what Justin Haley is running in the Xfinity series race.
IMG_4214.JPG

My all time favorite NASCAR paint scheme. Jeff Burtons 1994 Cup Series Raybestos car.
IMG_4215.JPG

Joey Logano's throwback was my favorite. Then I found out what Justin Haley is running in the Xfinity series race.
View attachment 847241
My all time favorite NASCAR paint scheme. Jeff Burtons 1994 Cup Series Raybestos car.
View attachment 847242
One of the few throwbacks that actually uses the same sponsor as the original. Looks good, though the blue color looks a little bit off.

Speaking of Logano...he looks umm...different in this picture. :lol:
2109-22-shell-throwback.jpg

For 90's throwback weekend, a classic #4 Ernie Irvan/Sterling Marlin Kodak car would have been awesome. That car won 2 straight Daytona 500s in the 90's.

Could've been Harvick's throwback if A: SHR stayed with Chevy and B: Harvick's sponsors
remembered. That said, I'm surprised no one ran this one considering it's one of the top 5 most iconic schemes/number combos of all time

EDIT: ALL HAIL THE GREAT DALLARA

Last edited:

A shame it wasn't run in any series. Busch didn't want to give up a race, the Xfinity #4 team already had a throwback, apparently one from Bobby Labonte's past, but hell Kyle's truck team runs the same stylized 4 already. JBL could have made it work.

Also, how long into Gen 7 do we get before Dallara says "🤬! We can't keep up!" especially after Daytona and Talladega.

Second, how much longer before the inevitable spec engines?

A shame it wasn't run in any series. Busch didn't want to give up a race, the Xfinity #4 team already had a throwback, apparently one from Bobby Labonte's past, but hell Kyle's truck team runs the same stylized 4 already. JBL could have made it work.

Also, how long into Gen 7 do we get before Dallara says "🤬! We can't keep up!" especially after Daytona and Talladega.

Second, how much longer before the inevitable spec engines?

I give that 4 years, but I feel like it’ll be like Trucks and they’ll be able to choose between OEM or spec engines, at least for a while. They seem to be emulating Aussie Supercars a lot, since the new cars are also supposed to moving to independent rear suspension (finally), along with the Dallara spec chassis (I know the Supercars don’t use Dallara but as far as I know they basically use a spec chassis) and the bigger wheels. Corey Lajoie detailed all he knew about the Gen 7 on his podcast a few weeks ago, I can’t remember everything he said but those key points have seemed to come true so far.

I wonder if they’ll move beyond the 4 speed transmission?

Cole Custer has been declared the winner of the Xfinity race at Darlington after Denny Hamlin failed post race tech. Ride height violation.

Also, Dale Earnhardt Jr. will now get a top five finish so yay.

I think 4 speeds are still good. If there is a change, no more than 6 gears. I get that the idea is to stay in the powerband but a 10 gear transmission like companies are enamored with right now doesn't make sense either.

I was just wondering if they’d move to a sequential paddle shift like pretty much every other racing series, but that doesn’t suit NASCAR. A 6 speed stick shift would be nice though.

I give that 4 years, but I feel like it’ll be like Trucks and they’ll be able to choose between OEM or spec engines, at least for a while. They seem to be emulating Aussie Supercars a lot, since the new cars are also supposed to moving to independent rear suspension (finally), along with the Dallara spec chassis (I know the Supercars don’t use Dallara but as far as I know they basically use a spec chassis) and the bigger wheels. Corey Lajoie detailed all he knew about the Gen 7 on his podcast a few weeks ago, I can’t remember everything he said but those key points have seemed to come true so far.

I wonder if they’ll move beyond the 4 speed transmission?
Honestly never, especially since that type of transmission is starting to get popular in Formula Drift. Also, finally no more solid axles! I can't wait for faster corner speeds, better road course racing, and lower ride heights. Solid axles belong in off road racing and grassroots drifting, not NASCAR or any professional onroad series.
I think 4 speeds are still good. If there is a change, no more than 6 gears. I get that the idea is to stay in the powerband but a 10 gear transmission like companies are enamored with right now doesn't make sense either.
Actually, I think it should stay either 4-speed manuals or DCTs like they run in IMSA. Everything else is unnecessary.

Back