2019 NASCAR Discussion ThreadNASCAR 

• Thread starter yellosnake
  • 986 comments
Ryan Blaney, Penske Ford, has taken pole for the challenging Phoenix mile circuit.

Some pretty nice fisticuffs between Suarez and McDowell during qualifying.

Last edited:
That fight vid will probably pack the stands and TV viewership on race day. I'm pretty sure they will not be disappointed, as NASCAR has permitted all 750hp together with the big 8" spoiler this weekend. Phoenix is not a circuit for sissies. :cool:

In case do you missed it, Fontana is gonna have the drivers do a 5 wide salute to the fans before the race starts.

Crunching numbers with haters is fairly entertaining. Kyle Busch said after the race he'd like go get to 100 Cup wins when it's all said and done. Real numbers as of the end of 2018, he's won an average of 3.6 races per year in 14 seasons. 3.9 the past 10 year average. Past 5 years 4.6 and past 3 years 5.66 wins per year respectively. I say he'll be around late 80s to early 90s when it's all said and done. 100 seems like a stretch but he is on a massive upswing as of late.

Crunching numbers with haters is fairly entertaining. Kyle Busch said after the race he'd like go get to 100 Cup wins when it's all said and done. Real numbers as of the end of 2018, he's won an average of 3.6 races per year in 14 seasons. 3.9 the past 10 year average. Past 5 years 4.6 and past 3 years 5.66 wins per year respectively. I say he'll be around late 80s to early 90s when it's all said and done. 100 seems like a stretch but he is on a massive upswing as of late.
Changes to the racing format and the constant increase in the cost of participation have certainly improved his chances, since there are far fewer truly competitive teams now than there were even 10 years ago.

That said, factoring in those few competitive teams, his own teammates and NASCAR's love of "creating storylines", 100 wins is still a pretty darn tall order.

Changes to the racing format and the constant increase in the cost of participation have certainly improved his chances, since there are far fewer truly competitive teams now than there were even 10 years ago.

That said, factoring in those few competitive teams, his own teammates and NASCAR's love of "creating storylines", 100 wins is still a pretty darn tall order.

Yeah 100 is a very tall order. Also if you take into consideration of a possibly worlds different Gen 7 car, where teams like Penske and Ganassi who have lots of experience in other race series besides NASCAR, probably would have a pretty big advantage over other teams for a while. I think the whole Kyle Busch/Richard Petty debate is dumb because Cup races aren't ran at abandoned corn fields anymore where Petty could win by several laps with the most badass car. One could argue that it's harder to get victories now since the level of competition isn't so different in a sense. This new package was to make closer racing and theoretically create more chances to win for everyone, but motorsports don't work that way and no matter what is done, the same people will always win. I just think Kyle is getting better as time passes and hasn't peaked yet. I think he'll be up there with the greats before too long.

I just think Kyle is getting better as time passes and hasn't peaked yet. I think he'll be up there with the greats before too long.
It's pretty obvious that the guy knows how to drive, and he's on a team that isn't exactly hurting for resources. As long as something catastrophic doesn't happen it's not too unreasonable to think he could get into the 70 win club when all's said and done, which would still be pretty darn impressive in its own right.

Also agree that people need to knock off the Richard Petty comparisons. NASCAR of the 1970's is only barely similar to modern day in that they both involve cars going around a track, it's impossible to make a fair comparison between the two time periods.

I think the whole Kyle Busch/Richard Petty debate is dumb because Cup races aren't ran at abandoned corn fields anymore where Petty could win by several laps with the most badass car. One could argue that it's harder to get victories now since the level of competition isn't so different in a sense. This new package was to make closer racing and theoretically create more chances to win for everyone, but motorsports don't work that way and no matter what is done, the same people will always win. I just think Kyle is getting better as time passes and hasn't peaked yet. I think he'll be up there with the greats before too long.

Also agree that people need to knock off the Richard Petty comparisons. NASCAR of the 1970's is only barely similar to modern day in that they both involve cars going around a track, it's impossible to make a fair comparison between the two time periods.

YES!

Kyle Busch has 52 wins in 502 career starts, so he has a career win rate of slightly higher than winning once every 10 starts. If you subtract the first 3 full seasons, Kyle has 48 wins in 388 starts, or a win in every 8.08 starts. That puts him at around 9 wins every 2 full seasons for a period of 11 seasons. That includes a 1 win season in 2012 and again in 2014, and a 5 win season in 2015, when he missed 11 starts due to a broken leg.

If you look at just the last 4 full years and the start of this year, he has a Cup win in every 5.95 Cup starts. That's 6 wins per full season. He's hitting his prime right now, and JGR appears to still have top-tier equipment to give him each and every week.

If Kyle can continue to drive at his current pace (and JGR avoids a 2-season slump like HMS had the past 2 seasons or like he had in 2012/2014), he will probably get close to 90 Cup wins before he retires.

He will turn 34 in May of this year. He could drive another 10-12 years. You have to think he's good for at least 30 more Cup wins before the end of his age-40 season (2025). He could get 40 wins or more between now and then, with just a little luck. For reference, Matt Kenseth won 5 races in his age 43 season driving for Gibbs in 2015.

The most likely things to slow down Kyle would be significant changes to the cars to make them easier to drive (further narrowing the talent gap in drivers), a decline by Toyota and/or Gibbs, another catastrophic injury, or the emergence of more dominant teams/drivers (like Truex 2 years ago, taking wins away from EVERYONE).

I'm not a huge fan of Kyle Busch, but you have to admit he is probably the most talented driver in the field nearly every week. If nothing else changes in the next 5-10 years, he is going to challenge the win totals of Yarborough/Johnson/Waltrip/Allison, Gordon, and possibly even David Pearson (the actual greatest Cup driver to ever live).

Is it just me, or is the fact that Toyota has essentially 1 full time team a bad sign for the manufacturer to stay in the Cup Series?

Is it just me, or is the fact that Toyota has essentially 1 full time team a bad sign for the manufacturer to stay in the Cup Series?

I don't see them leaving as long as they have a successful flagship team like JGR in the Cup and Xfinity Series and KBM in the Truck Series. Not really about numbers but success.

I was surprised when they showed the list of the Top Toyota Performers. All of 5 guys on the list. I didn't realize so many teams had switched away. It feels like what happened to Dodge and Pontiac in their final seasons, but I can't see Toyota pulling their support like the prior two.

I think Toyota has put too much money in to just walk away, barring a huge decline in performance or the emergence of some other need for an even larger investment.

One other thing Kyle, Keselowski, and Logano have going for them is that once Johnson and Harvick are gone, they’re going to be the new veterans of the sport even though Kyle is still under 34. So they’ll have years upon years of experience on their competition for the next five years before even turning 40, especially Logano. That “lost generation” didn’t produce a lot of Cup talent, but the ones that stayed ended up being great drivers (and Reed Sorenson)

One other thing Kyle, Keselowski, and Logano have going for them is that once Johnson and Harvick are gone, they’re going to be the new veterans of the sport even though Kyle is still under 34. So they’ll have years upon years of experience on their competition for the next five years before even turning 40, especially Logano. That “lost generation” didn’t produce a lot of Cup talent, but the ones that stayed ended up being great drivers (and Reed Sorenson)

Most of the drivers in that age bracket (born late 80’s-early 90’s) never got good opportunities in Cup, since they all got signed to development deals at big teams at a young age, got rushed into Xfinity, and didn’t do well since they were expected to win right out of the gate at age 18 with a crew they barely knew. Some of them have managed to stick around (Cassill, Dibenedetto, Bowman, Timmy Hill, Ragan, McDowell, Moffitt, Chastain), some got decent rides but never performed consistently (Bayne), some left NASCAR and went back to their roots (Clauson, Braun), and most of them are forgotten (Erik Darnell, Brad Coleman, Kelly Bires etc etc etc).

Busch and Logano performed immediately in Xfinity and Keselowski was lucky to get an opportunity to show his talent and not meeting his brother Brian’s fate.

NASCAR isn't talent based anymore you basically have to have rich parents and wake up one morning and say, "Dad, I want to be a race car driver". Then your family's company gets plastered on the car and you race. Long gone are the days of real talent and earning rides. Better bring money and lots of it. I respect Kyle Busch more for actually finding young talent and giving them chances, like Erik Jones.

NASCAR isn't talent based anymore you basically have to have rich parents and wake up one morning and say, "Dad, I want to be a race car driver". Then your family's company gets plastered on the car and you race. Long gone are the days of real talent and earning rides. Better bring money and lots of it.
To be fair, this is true of pretty much every motorsport at the professional level nowadays. There's a lot more to it than just deciding you want to buy your way in, though it certainly is a factor in some cases.

A group of Dale Sr. and Dale Jr. race cars are up for sale this weekend at Mecum Auctions in Arizona.

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2019/0...-car-collection-to-be-auctioned-this-weekend/

https://www.mecum.com/lots/AZ0319-374796/1989-chevrolet-lumina-nascar/

https://www.mecum.com/lots/AZ0319-374797/1993-chevrolet-monte-carlo-nascar/

https://www.mecum.com/lots/AZ0319-374795/1994-chevrolet-lumina-nascar/

I wish they would make the cars today more like the cars from 1989 to 1993. You can still see the lines from the street version of the cars in the body of the race cars. You could easily stick your foot under the front bumper and sides of the car. The cars today literally sit on the ground, even before you start driving them forward, to produce more downward force on the body.

upload_2019-3-14_14-23-8.png

upload_2019-3-14_14-23-36.png

upload_2019-3-14_14-24-1.png

Dale Jr said he talked to Richard Childress and the Dale Sr cars are NOT legit race cars, most likely replicas.

It would be very interesting to see who the owner listing these for sale is.

If it's not DEI (Teresa Earnhardt), it would be extremely difficult to prove their legitimacy.

If they do belong to Teresa, it's hilarious to see Dale Jr. helping to drive down the value of her listings, as they famously do not get along at all.

Passing off replicas as genuine cars has been on the rise the last couple of years, largely due to the sheer amount of inexperienced would-be collectors trying to get a quick score before the car bubble bursts. So good on Junior and Childress for calling this out and not letting someone potentially get ripped off.

Round 2 will set the pole in qualifying, because nobody completed a lap in round 3. Austin Dillon on pole.

Final round of qualifying should be single car runs in reverse order of round 2, slowest to fastest. Taken straight from the Aussie Supercar Top 10 Shootout they do a few times a year.

I thought this would be a cool idea for NASCAR before the new package, and now it looks like it's going to be a necessity.

Latest Posts

Back