2019 Touring Car discussion - WTCC, BTCC etcTouring Cars 

• Thread starter 05XR8
  • 664 comments
Well, this sucks https://autoaction.com.au/2019/09/03/kelly-racing-working-through-reliability-issues
When quizzed whether Kelly Racing may take a bigger role in developing the Subaru package further, Kelly explained there was plenty of changes that could be made, but it is too late into this season to commit to a complete overhaul for next year.

“There’s heaps of room,” Kelly responded.

“We could re-design the whole car and become the official homologated team or try and work with the team [Top Run Motorsport] in Italy. We then would need to do a re-design of the whole car for next year’s program, but it’s too late.”
So, more of the same for next year. MAybe Chelsea and Andre two car team, while they develop a "new" Subaru throughout the year.

Just a matter of time before these head down here. The word is spreading.
New TCR vehicles entered the 4th round of TCRJ. Peugeot 308 TCR.

At Knockhill, Rory Butcher tops BTCC FP1 for Cobra Sport AMD; an impressive showing from Aiden Moffat sees him second in his Laser Tools Infiniti. AMD race engineer Mike Bushell, who has stepped up to take Tordoff's place this weekend, finishes the session a strong fifth, just five-hundreds off highest-placed title contender Andrew Jordan.

UPDATE 1: Butcher tops FP2 from Dan Cammish and the Team Parker Racing BMW of Stephen Jelley. Twenty drivers are separated by just under nine tenths of a second!

UPDATE 2: And on the back of his successes in Free Practice, Butcher takes his inaugural BTCC pole, setting a new qualifying lap record of 50.451 in the process. The Yuasa Halfords Honda of Cammish and the Pirtek BMW of Jordan claim second and third places on the grid for the first race tomorrow. Championship leader Colin Turkington lines up sixth; less than a second separates the first 22 drivers!

Last edited:
Been seeing a lot of posts on facebook about the TCR Spa 500 and I'm really looking forward to it. Less than a month away now. Should be interesting.

BTCC Knockhill update. Despite a last-lap challenge from Andrew Jordan, Rory Butcher hangs on to take victory in Race 1, his third of the season so far. Dan Cammish takes third for Halfords Yuasa Racing, just ahead of Colin Turkington's BMW.

UPDATE 1: A mega start in Race 2 sees Jordan take his sixth win of 2019, ahead of Cammish and Butcher. Contact between Butcher and Turkington sees the defending champion spun out of the top 15, and his lead over Jordan slashed to just four points. 10th-placed finisher Jake Hill (AMD/TradePriceCars.com Audi) starts on pole for Race 3.

UPDATE 2: Butcher receives a 5-place grid penalty for his incident with Turkington. He will now start Race 3 in thirteenth.

UPDATE 3:
After previously being denied by penalties at Oulton, Jake Hill finally takes his first BTCC win in Race 3, from Josh Cook (BTC Honda) and Adam Morgan (Ciceley Mercedes) respectively. A non-finish from Jordan and a charge to 10th sees Turkington maintain his advantage in the driver's championship; both BMWs and Cammish now stand 11 points apart in the standings.

Last edited:
Just want to say vulcanspirit, always enjoy reading your race updates, keep it up mate.
Thank you. Since this thread appears to have put its main emphasis on TCR this year (and with good reason, too) I didn't want the BTCC to be left out in all that excitement. :)

Thank you. Since this thread appears to have put its main emphasis on TCR this year (and with good reason, too) I didn't want the BTCC to be left out in all that excitement. :)
It's mainly do to other series broadcast their races live on their websites, YouTube and Facebook. I tried subscribing to itv4, but videos don't play in my region. I get to watch them at a later date on YT though.

This look sharp. Love the color combo.
EEpW8XYX4AAdS-p

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2019/09/17/two-hyundais-entered-inaugural-tcr-new-zealand-season/

Annnnnd, this just happened :) It'll be hot. Literally.
https://www.speedcafe.com/2019/09/19/arg-wins-tender-for-fifth-bathurst-event/
The tender for the fifth event at Mount Panorama has been awarded to the Australian Racing Group (ARG).

Bathurst Regional Council (BRC) invited expressions of interest in the vacant slot earlier this year and formally invited ARG and Supercars to tender in July.

The former was known to be trying to establish an international 500km endurance event for TCR machinery in conjunction with TCR Australia, while the latter was understood to be planning a Goodwood-style historic event.

In announcing the successful tender, ARG referred to not only TCR and a “significant international focus”, but also its other properties such as S5000 and the recently acquired Touring Car Masters.

It has been confirmed the race event will be held in December next year.

Annnnnd, this just happened :) It'll be hot. Literally.

That was my first thought too. Not the most ideal time of the year to hold an event but still exciting. Holding out hope for a TCR enduro with some international teams and drivers.

I havent watched this series in a minute, but it's cool Toyota are represented.

I had to check this, it turns out to be South African. Their web page doesn't say much about the regs but they don't seem to be TCR cars. I like the fact that they have sedans - gotta say I like 'em sedans. The fact that they have RWD cars (BMW 2er) is even better.

One thing I found odd is Kyalami missing from the 2019 calendar. On the Kyalami website I found proof that they were there in 2018 but apparently not this year.

That was my first thought too. Not the most ideal time of the year to hold an event but still exciting. Holding out hope for a TCR enduro with some international teams and drivers.
The Spa 500 will be an interesting one. There will be Australian drivers at that one. No doubt to get drivers like Muller who raced in Super Tourers here, Priaulx, Ekstrom, ALL the drivers! :)
I had to check this, it turns out to be South African. Their web page doesn't say much about the regs but they don't seem to be TCR cars. I like the fact that they have sedans - gotta say I like 'em sedans. The fact that they have RWD cars (BMW 2er) is even better.

One thing I found odd is Kyalami missing from the 2019 calendar. On the Kyalami website I found proof that they were there in 2018 but apparently not this year.
It used to be the Sasol Chanpionship. More like Speed World Challenge production touring cars. With the two classes, that part of the championship remains.
If you've seen MARC V8s, that's what these are. GTC cars allow for any size engine and body shape.

The SA cars run 2L turbos(from their respective manufacturer), rather than the Coyote V8.

If you've seen MARC V8s, that's what these are. GTC cars allow for any size engine and body shape.

The SA cars run 2L turbos(from their respective manufacturer), rather than the Coyote V8.

I'm not sure I'm with you on the MARC V8. Gotta admit, I only "met" them at this year's Bathurst 12h broadcast but from what I gathered, MARC is an own car manufacturer entity and I would assume Ford let's them use the shape of the Mustang and the Focus while running under the MARC name.

I only checked into on of the GTC videos a little but I say Volkswagen Motorsport, Audi Sport names and when showing the grid they showed very clearly the respective manufacturers. Not sure what to think of it really but as I said, I definitely support the type of cars they use :)

I'm not sure I'm with you on the MARC V8. Gotta admit, I only "met" them at this year's Bathurst 12h broadcast but from what I gathered, MARC is an own car manufacturer entity and I would assume Ford let's them use the shape of the Mustang and the Focus while running under the MARC name.

I only checked into on of the GTC videos a little but I say Volkswagen Motorsport, Audi Sport names and when showing the grid they showed very clearly the respective manufacturers. Not sure what to think of it really but as I said, I definitely support the type of cars they use :)
The MARC V8s are built to GTC specs. Those use the Focus and Mazda3 shapes. Same as the SA GTC cars.

The MARC II V8, are the Mustang bodied cars. More power and aero.

Good job by Heimgartner.

Edit: This whole year has been one big test session for Heimgartner. Jeez.

You know who, should go straight to bed. Don't even celebrate.

Last edited:
Back