2020 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar ChampionshipSports Cars 

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 678 comments
We used to be able to watch on the free NBCSN app if it wasn't broadcast on TV, why are the races only on the paid NBCSN Gold Pass now? Petite LeMans doesn't air on TV until 12:30PM EST. Stupid.

Last edited:
We used to be able to watch on the free NBCSN app if it wasn't broadcast on TV, why are the races only on the paid NBCSN Gold Pass now? Petite LeMans doesn't air on TV until 12:30PM EST. Stupid.

Actually the race started later than usual, around that time or so.

The non-call was the right move, it was a pretty text-book case of "racing incident".
Agree to disagree I guess. It was a hard fight for a long time, but it looked to me like a text-book case of wanting something that wasn't there yet, and letting yourself get sucked into squeezing into a gap that had absolutely no chance of anything but contact.

Agree to disagree I guess. It was a hard fight for a long time, but it looked to me like a text-book case of wanting something that wasn't there yet, and letting yourself get sucked into squeezing into a gap that had absolutely no chance of anything but contact.

Taylor was halfway, at that point Derani is supposed to give him room. It's simply what happens when nobody flinches in a game of chicken.

Van der Zande out at WTR for 2021 to be replaced be Filipe Albuquerque. Kind of figured WTR would want to go with a new lineup except Ricky will probably come back to the team.

https://www.motorsport.com/imsa/new...-widget&ic_medium=widget&ic_campaign=widget-6

Kobayashi has already said he probably won't be coming back for the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona since he's a Toyota driver but what about possibly getting Tsunoda since he's a Honda driver? Let's see what he can do in a prototype.

Spoiler for the race result ahead:

Finally the 912 Porsche wins this season! I so wish I could have been there, but no fans were allowed. What a stretch for Bamber and Vanthoor after winning the Spa 24 Hours last week. Hopefully they can finish strong at Sebring.

Last edited:
Lots of stuff happening in IMSA land prepping for 2021. LMP3 may be a success story - I'm glad to see United and CORE showing up for sure, there's a promise for the almost dead LMP2 class to be sort of revived and now a chance for a GTLM Ferrari - although I guess we would lose the GTD entry alongside the NSXs from MSR/Heinricher. I also hope that the successes of the BMW GTLM effort will be repeated or get better to keep the Vettes in check next year.

I'm hoping for a GTLM class at all next year and I'll be disappointed if I don't get to see the Vette in competition. GTD is great GT racing and even though prototype cars never thrill me I do like the difference in the classes. The more cars the better. Should be great race at Sebring next weekend.

I already have tickets for next year at Lime Rock and Watkins Glen, fingers crossed I/we can actually go next year.

2021 has to be a better year, but that's not saying much now is it? :indiff:

Unfortunately today isn't all good news as it sounds like BMW will be going to an endurance only schedule.

https://racer.com/2020/11/06/bmw-team-rll-eyeing-endurance-only-program-in-2021/

IMSA really needs to do something about GTLM because even as a Corvette fan watching them race unopposed for the majority of the season doesn't really interest me (Yes, I know Scuderia Corsa may move up but unless IMSA gives them a major BoP advantage they don't stand a chance).

Hopefully they can get a program together for the second car. It seems like Real Time may run some races in IMSA as well so the NSX should still have a decent presence despite Shank going to DPi.

To be honest I feel a GTD merger with GTLM is not as unlikely as it might seem, and as things stand for next year there's few options. GTLM and even GTE as a rule set on the whole, are in uncertain territory right now. With Porsche gone and BMW now showing up for an endurance-only program, things look bleak, and as mentioned I doubt any of the Risi or Scudera Ferrari's would commit to a full season, due to financial reasons I'd guess, and the BoP would have to be really favourable for Fezza's to balance it.

Leaves just the Corvette's, potentially going back to how it was in the 2000's, where the two 'Vettes competed against themselves in GT1. Even if your a fan, much like myself with Toyota in LMP1, one outfit competing against themselves is not exactly the most exciting prospect. I haven't seen news of any manufacturers making a new GTE/GTLM spec car, be it any of the current outfits or a new manufacturer altogether. I doubt we'd see any of the Astons race over in IMSA for GTLM, as much as I'd like them to, even then numbers would be low, That leaves a BoP between for GTD and GTLM to compete as one, and I'm not sure the manufacturers would favour having their cars Bop'ed to compete with GT3 machinery :indiff:.

Gradient purchasing another NSX is good news though.

Last edited:
Unfortunately today isn't all good news as it sounds like BMW will be going to an endurance only schedule.

https://racer.com/2020/11/06/bmw-team-rll-eyeing-endurance-only-program-in-2021/

IMSA really needs to do something about GTLM because even as a Corvette fan watching them race unopposed for the majority of the season doesn't really interest me (Yes, I know Scuderia Corsa may move up but unless IMSA gives them a major BoP advantage they don't stand a chance).

Hopefully they can get a program together for the second car. It seems like Real Time may run some races in IMSA as well so the NSX should still have a decent presence despite Shank going to DPi.

I honestly kind of saw something like this coming. I'd guess BMW wouldnt want to commit to a season of just Corvette/ 1-2 Ferraris(?) for a whole season, cause that doesnt probably look that good. I do feel like we need to either get on with the GTE/GT3 convergence, or we have to cut down on the GTE regs ,like pre-2016 regs. I feel like GTE as it is in America (Factory backed pretty much) is dead rn. The News about the GRadient NSX sounds very promising for the future of the car in IMSA, along with the news of other NSX teams coming to IMSA as well.

Honestly, IMSA for right now is not the greatest looking....

Last edited:
Back