2021 F1 Driver ThreadFormula 1 

Rumour is that Vettel is thinking of leaving F1 at the end of this season. This could be why Stroll Sr was apparently trying to poach Alonso for 2022.
I hope not!
I really hope not. Dude still has some speed in him and makes F1 a more enjoyable place to be.
Formula 1's FB page confirming Vettel (& Stroll) will return next season.

Gotta love rumours that people seemingly pull out of their rear. Seems to be a lot of these type of people in and around the F1 paddock.

EDIT: To clarify I'm not saying MikeV27 was the one doing the rear end pulling, obviously.

Last edited:
Gotta love rumours that people seemingly pull out of their rear. Seems to be a lot of these type of people in and around the F1 paddock.

EDIT: To clarify I'm not saying MikeV27 was the one doing the rear end pulling, obviously.
The timeline is exactly the same every time.

Random journo makes something up.
Random journo puts it on twitter with the phrase "Done deal" at the end.
Random follower believes it and posts it to Reddit.
Reddit laps this up, thinks it's real and all the fans who want it to be real upvote it.
Made up rumour becomes "fact".
Made up rumour gets posted to GTPlanet with no sources.
User who posted made up rumour gets annoyed when asked to present reputable source for made up rumour.

It was just a rumour I seen on reddit from a journalist, rumours should be taken with a grain of salt.

Then again I remember Eddie Jordan saying Lewis to Mercedes and everyone called him an idiot. So you never really know.

Last edited:
Eddie Jordan might not have been everyone's cup of tea but he was wayyyyyyy above a random redditor or tweeter playing journalist.

Last edited:
Eddie Jordan made a prediction.

These random twitter journos are presenting made up rumours as fact, that's the issue and big difference.

... the world was gonna roll him, he ain't the sharpest tool in the shed?
Did you just.....Smash Mouth me?

5d47c5c97c8e287169cc2803e6796692.png

And nobody was surprised in any way
Quite. After however many painful years it was of Grosjean and Magnussen driving into each other and still being kept on, and given that they have a talented driver who makes a good asset and their painfully incompetent borderline sex pest is the child of the billionaire funding the team, it's of absolutely no surprise that they've been kept on at all.

I mean obviously the stateless (in athletic terms) gropist doesn't belong anywhere near an F1 car, but also obviously he wasn't going anywhere even if Gene Haas himself shot him in both shoulders and hips.

Was Mick to Alfa ever a possibility since that seat is still considered open? Better team, better teammate to learn from.

Last edited:
Quite. After however many painful years it was of Grosjean and Magnussen driving into each other and still being kept on, and given that they have a talented driver who makes a good asset and their painfully incompetent borderline sex pest is the child of the billionaire funding the team, it's of absolutely no surprise that they've been kept on at all.

I mean obviously the stateless (in athletic terms) gropist doesn't belong anywhere near an F1 car, but also obviously he wasn't going anywhere even if Gene Haas himself shot him in both shoulders and hips.
It was more likely that Haas fires Schumacher than even thinking of possibly not bringing back the billionaire baby.

There were rumours he maybe bringing his fathers millions over to Sauber.
There were also rumors that two or three other people and/or financial investor groups were looking to buy that team outright in recent months, and none of those have panned out. Formula 1 rumors are like Nostradamus predictions, people only remember the one that was right and forget the 99 others that were wrong.

There were also rumors that two or three other people and/or financial investor groups were looking to buy that team outright in recent months, and none of those have panned out. Formula 1 rumors are like Nostradamus predictions, people only remember the one that was right and forget the 99 others that were wrong.
Just with the difference Mazepin is already in F1 and paying Millions to Haas and Sauber/Alfa is still looking for a driver who pays them Millions to drive their car. Way different to rumours people are willing to pay sth when someone is already paying another team.

Colton Herta is now linked to that Sauber seat with all the talk of Andretti buying Sauber. He doesn’t have enough points to get a super licence so I don’t know how this is supposed to happen, unless they make an exception.

Colton Herta is now linked to that Sauber seat with all the talk of Andretti buying Sauber. He doesn’t have enough points to get a super licence so I don’t know how this is supposed to happen, unless they make an exception.
There is a 3-year window to score points. Herta has 4, 20 and 8 points from his 3 seasons in IndyCar, making 32. HOWEVER, there is a clause which says that because 2020 was a thing, the top 3 of the last 4 seasons will count if 2020 was one of those. As such, you can bin off his 7th place in Indycar in 2019 and take his 2ns in Indy Lights in 2018, which gives out 12 point, thus making Herta hit the magic 40 point barrier with 12, (4), 20 and 8 = 40.

He also needs a certain amount of km driven, which he could easily get at the post season test.
No post season (young driver) test this year planned I believe. But could also achieve it in a 2 year old car anytime or at pre season testing. Even FP1,2,3 are possible at the first GP when not achieved before.

Last edited:
There is a 3-year window to score points. Herta has 4, 20 and 8 points from his 3 seasons in IndyCar, making 32. HOWEVER, there is a clause which says that because 2020 was a thing, the top 3 of the last 4 seasons will count if 2020 was one of those. As such, you can bin off his 7th place in Indycar in 2019 and take his 2ns in Indy Lights in 2018, which gives out 12 point, thus making Herta hit the magic 40 point barrier with 12, (4), 20 and 8 = 40.
Unfortunately not, check the team thread. The Indy Lights season had a diminished field of drivers which significantly reduces the points earned. He's on 32.

I'm not really sure where to put this, but this will do.

Alan Van Der Merwe, the Medical Car driver, will not be present at any of the final races of this season. Him and Dr Ian Roberts tested positive for COVID and had to miss Turkey, but VDM went on twitter and put up a (IMO totally invalid) reason he isn't vaccinated against the virus and won't be taking it up. As most of the races at the end of this season are in countries or paddocks which require people to be vaccinated to enter, VDM being anti-vax means he cannot get back in. The Formula E Safety Car driver and medical boss were present in Turkey, and are likely to stay the rest of the season.

He’s more than likely getting canned, that’s how the world works now. He really didn’t need to go on Twitter about it.

Back