2021 Formula 1 Calendar threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 364 comments
Bahrain showed that two-layout double headers are superior. It's a shame that Paul Ricard didn't get the chance to play around with another layout because as much as it's a hated track, there are good circuits hiding in that tarmac ribbon, and with reduced spectator numbers there would be no need to worry about spectator zones being removed at like the chicane.

It's a shame that Paul Ricard didn't get the chance to play around with another layout because as much as it's a hated track, there are good circuits hiding in that tarmac ribbon

I do agree, and maybe it's just my advancing years but I find it hard to follow the track 'visually'. The track is what it is of course and it's a superlative test facility, just hard to look at (imo).

Me too. Developing a race at Le Mans is the best alternative, imo. Paul Ricard gives me such a headache to watch that I'd even prefer Magny Cours. There, I've said it.

Paul Ricard is trash. Magny Cours is a much better track. Did you see the GT3 race there last weekend? It was fantastic

Last edited:
The Austria double header, plus the utterly bizarre movement of the French GP weekend, really just smells of Red Bull money to me and, obviously that's speculation, but it's a real shame.

France has great fans and as others have mentioned, a bajillion layouts on that track. It also happens to be a track fans and media have been screaming to try something else with - as much stick as its too-long straight and awkward chicanes get it has great turns and flow at the back half and first couple turns of the lap. Take this opportunity to find a layout that might work, idk?

But like I say it smells to me of Red Bull very much enjoying two races in their marketing back garden last year and having too much weight in the decision making room so that Paul Ricard never got a look in. Dreadful shame.

The Austria double header, plus the utterly bizarre movement of the French GP weekend, really just smells of Red Bull money to me and, obviously that's speculation, but it's a real shame.

France has great fans and as others have mentioned, a bajillion layouts on that track. It also happens to be a track fans and media have been screaming to try something else with - as much stick as its too-long straight and awkward chicanes get it has great turns and flow at the back half and first couple turns of the lap. Take this opportunity to find a layout that might work, idk?

But like I say it smells to me of Red Bull very much enjoying two races in their marketing back garden last year and having too much weight in the decision making room so that Paul Ricard never got a look in. Dreadful shame.

The double-header's a good thing (imo) so it's a good decision, maybe a good venue to try a sprint quali in one of the weekends, but overall I still agree that the way calendars are changing/changed now is very un-F1. Not how Bernie would have done it, but then the sport was starting to stagnate in aspic so I guess one can't have it both ways.

Because of the change, we won't have Grosjean doing the demo run in the Mercedes as well. Thank god he's still getting the full day solo test though. Also just found out he got pole in the latest Indy race. Guy lost none of his speed :bowdown:

IIRC Magny was a complete snoozefest back in the V10 era as well. Also the track location is in the middle of nowhere so teams/drivers/fans hated going there. GT3 cars being a lot less aero dependent obviously are going to have much better racing regardless of the track.

FIA/FOM might have asked other track owners if they want to organize a F1 race in stead of Turkey during this Covid19 period. It seems others don't want to organize it without being able to have full grand stands etc. No ticket sales, no income (maybe it'll change soon?). So it seems RedBullRing is the best option now. Yep I would have prefered e.g. a GrandPrix in Germany in stead of this double header in Austria.

Several F1 journos of various quality are saying that the Chinese GP is in significant doubt. For the last week or so some have been countering teams' complaints about a 23-race season with the idea that several events towards the end of the season are already in some doubt. There's nothing official on any of that, all just rumours.

China isn't even on the calendar. We had Imola instead

It was only postponed, same as Australia, but they were still "in discussions" over a new date unlike Aus which got one right away. Mind you all of those actions combined kinda suggests they knew it wasn't going to happen at all.

There are still expectations one or more of the races still on the calendar won't happen, that's why they added the second Austria race instead of just dropping a race.

Several F1 journos of various quality are saying that the Chinese GP is in significant doubt. For the last week or so some have been countering teams' complaints about a 23-race season with the idea that several events towards the end of the season are already in some doubt. There's nothing official on any of that, all just rumours.
Fingers crossed similar rumours emerge for the Saudi GP.

Last edited:
The Eau Rouge has taken over Eau Rouge.

Seems to be damage to the track with the ground being flushed away.

How much repair is likely to be needed before F1? Given that there's evidently massive sub-surface erosion it's going to be quite the job.

How much repair is likely to be needed before F1? Given that there's evidently massive sub-surface erosion it's going to be quite the job.
If that's the case then they'll likely have to inspect the surrounding area to make sure that there's no risk of sinkholes, which would extend the repair period even longer. Slightly less than three months is going to be a pretty tight timeline, especially if the weather refuses to cooperate.

If that's the case then they'll likely have to inspect the surrounding area to make sure that there's no risk of sinkholes, which would extend the repair period even longer. Slightly less than three months is going to be a pretty tight timeline, especially if the weather refuses to cooperate.

I guess they'll have pretty in-depth engineering knowledge of the circuit from the ongoing maintenance/improvement works that are part of the circuit's normal life. I should think they'll throw a lot of GPR and survey work into assessing the damage, possibly they'll cement some of the access tunnels, put temporary pilings in track beds and relay the track where required. It'll be bloody expensive but possibly do-able if they can get all the required workers and specialities to the site.

Unless they're planning to lay new tarmac there's not much they can do whilst keeping the full layout other than removing the turn 5 chicane.

racefansdotnet-yas-marina-changes-2048x1152.jpg

They remove the clumsy chicanes but I can't see them making much difference to the racing.

Wiping the entirety of sector 3 from the face of the Earth would have been an ideal first step. But that's better than nothing.

Wiping the entirety of sector 3 from the face of the Earth would have been an ideal first step. But that's better than nothing.
But the hotel Wiegert. The hotel! It's so pretty! Who needs good corners when you've got a pretty hotel.

Last edited:
Removing those awful chicanes is the bare mini this circuit needs to begin to fix it. Sector 3 may still be there, but the T5-7 single-file zone being removed, and the racing-destroying T13-14 chicane also being obliterated can not be classed as a bad thing. Of course, neither of these changes will make the layout anything other than Kimi's immortal "The first few corners are good but the rest is -swear-", but it'll definitely improve racing because lets face it, it can't get much worse.

Official images have been released although it's very dark for some reason. A few tweaks to other corners, most of the 90 degree turns in S3 have been rounded/made less acute, second to last corner quite a lot.

ofolkyr56n671.png

Back