2023 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar SeriesSports Cars 

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 544 comments
So we left the track for the night for a bit. What happened to the GTP Porsches to fall so far back?
#7 had a battery change, #6 had a big spin then exploded before the end.

Happy for Acura, and IMSA needs VSCs/a WEC-style FCY. But it won't get one, for that is not the American way.

Second in class but 4th overall in GTD cars. :banghead:

Is the current c8r just out match against all this new gt3 cars?

That c8r gt3 car cant come fast enough.
Strategy got corvette where they were. It’s a shame for everyone not in a car with a v8 upfront. I don’t think they’re outgunned that bad, but they just didn’t have the top end. The BMWs were even further off the pace!

Well, this race showed the best and worst of BOP racing.

I'm not sure why the organizers didn't feel the need to change anything after qualifying. It was obvious the Acuras had way too much straight line speed and that the BMWs were straight junk. But nothing was changed? It's like their ego was too big to change anything, or maybe they felt the need to punish BMW for something. Im not sure. The race could have been way better if the Acuras were pegged back a little and BMW was quicker

Cadillac is a legitimate force. They've built bullet proof 24 hour cars for years now, they're pretty much the new Audi. Toyota should be very afraid when June rolls around especially considering GM will be unloading 3 of those things in France.

#7 had a battery change, #6 had a big spin then exploded before the end.

Happy for Acura, and IMSA needs VSCs/a WEC-style FCY. But it won't get one, for that is not the American way.
There was way too many cautions for cars that simply stalled on course. If they can fix this then literally half the cautions would go away. Also the entire caution procedure takes like 20 minutes, even for just a stalled car, we can send men to the moon, we can figure out how to do this better

Last edited:
I'm not sure why the organizers didn't feel the need to change anything after qualifying. It was obvious the Acuras had way too much straight line speed and that the BMWs were straight junk. But nothing was changed? It's like their ego was too big to change anything, or maybe they felt the need to punish BMW for something. Im not sure. The race could have been way better if the Acuras were pegged back a little and BMW was quicker
I get the impression that BMW weren't running at their maximum pace, they seemed pretty relaxed about it during the race and in the post race press release they're just talking about how happy they were to get both cars to the end after such a short development time. I'd imagine that if IMSA think this is the case, they wouldn't give BMW a boost with the BoP until they've seen them go balls out.

2nd place was 12 laps down, that’s just sad.
Not sure what was going on in daytona this year (the commentators mentioned there were problems with lmp3 in the last years too), but in elms last year there was some pretty nice racing with the lmp3 cars ( ._.)

As others have said, the Acura GTPs were way overpowered by at least 50hp they definitely need some BOP going forward. And the BMWs seem like they need another 50hp. Does anybody know if there any talks as to having a fifth manufacturer in the GTP class? I like seeing cadillac, porsche, bmw and acura duke it out but I feel like there needs to be 1 more.

Second in class but 4th overall in GTD cars. :banghead:

Is the current c8r just out match against all this new gt3 cars?

That c8r gt3 car cant come fast enough.
The only new GT3 cars were the Ferrari 296, Porsche 911 (992 based), and the Lamborghini Huracan EVO2. None of them fared very well. The Corvette was beaten by a car that was older than it was. I don't know when the last update was for the Mercedes AMG GT3 but I'm pretty sure it was before the C8R was introduced. The GTD winner was also an older car, The Aston Martin Vantage.

So the Corvette solidly beat all of the newer cars but it couldn't beat the older ones.

The only new GT3 cars were the Ferrari 296, Porsche 911 (992 based), and the Lamborghini Huracan EVO2. None of them fared very well. The Corvette was beaten by a car that was older than it was. I don't know when the last update was for the Mercedes AMG GT3 but I'm pretty sure it was before the C8R was introduced. The GTD winner was also an older car, The Aston Martin Vantage.

So the Corvette solidly beat all of the newer cars but it couldn't beat the older ones.
I see thanks for clearing that up.

Here is hoping the new c8r gt3 car picks up the slack for team vette.

Oh that should be interesting and I cant wait to see that one. I figured another GTP should be either italian or another american.
I'm curious if after this year, Ferrari will consider opening the door for an IMSA team to purchase a 499P since it will make an appearance at the 1000 Miles of Sebring & is eligible for WeatherTech according to Sportscar365.

Last edited:
Well, this race showed the best and worst of BOP racing.

Cadillac is a legitimate force. They've built bullet proof 24 hour cars for years now, they're pretty much the new Audi. Toyota should be very afraid when June rolls around especially considering GM will be unloading 3 of those things in France.

There was way too many cautions for cars that simply stalled on course. If they can fix this then literally half the cautions would go away. Also the entire caution procedure takes like 20 minutes, even for just a stalled car, we can send men to the moon, we can figure out how to do this better
All of the GTP cars were equal in power, 500kw/670hp. The differences between them are hybrid deployment, chassis development, and aero. I would be shocked if IMSA makes any changes to BOP for any of the GTP's until after Long Beach, if then.

Some shots from this weekend. Used a quick online converter as I'm still editing everything, but a really fun weekend. Looks like I picked a good year to go as my friends told me it usually loves to rain and/or get pretty chilly at some points. Was absolutely packed, though.
MG-4361.jpg

MG-4636.jpg

MG-5011.jpg

MG-3068.jpg

MG-5344.jpg

All of the GTP cars were equal in power, 500kw/670hp. The differences between them are hybrid deployment, chassis development, and aero. I would be shocked if IMSA makes any changes to BOP for any of the GTP's until after Long Beach, if then.
What I noticed from the onboards was the Acura being the only car to take T4 (the left kink after the first horseshoe, Dogleg I assume?) flat-out. Both the Porsche and the Cadillac seemed to have to lift judging from the onboards.

Last edited:
What I noticed from the onboards was the Acura being the only car to take T4 (the left kink after the first horseshoe, Dogleg I assume?) flat-out. Both the Porsche and the Cadillac seemed to have to lift judging from the onboards.
There's a 50 something minutes in car video on IMSA YouTube of the yellow Cadillac and there's no sign of lifting at that kink unless there's another car around.

Some shots from this weekend. Used a quick online converter as I'm still editing everything, but a really fun weekend. Looks like I picked a good year to go as my friends told me it usually loves to rain and/or get pretty chilly at some points. Was absolutely packed, though.
MG-4361.jpg

MG-4636.jpg

MG-5011.jpg

MG-3068.jpg

MG-5344.jpg
Didn't expect to see a Gas Monkey Garage sponsored car. I'm honestly surprised they're still around or sponsoring anything

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back