2023 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar SeriesSports Cars 

• Thread starter Northstar
  • 544 comments
Entry list looks strong. I don't know why, but I thought Corvette was running a proper GT3 car this season? I didn't realize they were being allowed to run that old revised GTLM car again.

A little weird that Wehlen car still had some TBD drivers.

Not surprised to see Colton Herta possibly being shared between the two BMW's.

There are some straight sleeper cells in the GTD Am. Magnus Racing looks super strong - tough to realize that car qualifies as a "Pro-Am" style car with that much driving talent.

GTD Pro is intriguing in that almost every team is running a different car, so that's a little wild.

Also, happy to see so many teams already adopting the new Ferrari. I believe Pruett said that Ferrari sold more of the new GT3 within a week or two of launch...than they planned to sell in the first 4-5 years. As in, they received dozens and dozens of orders for the car. In the same discussion I believe they stated that in 2022 some 305 cars were running in GT3 spec around the world. That's a pretty sizable business case if you can corner even 10% of that market. I think that highlights how successful that formula is (at the same time, I believe around 30 cars were running GTLM spec).

I don't know why, but I thought Corvette was running a proper GT3 car this season? I didn't realize they were being allowed to run that old revised GTLM car again.
The proper GT3 car was always said to come in 2024. It will be unveiled at the Rolex in 2 weeks though.

Cadillac LMDh liveries
23-cadillac-racing-lmdh-masthead-hero-s.jpg

Looks-wise, the BMW is absolutely my favourite. Always been an RLL/Turner Motorsport fan, so of all the cars...I think I'll pick the BMW as my favourite. Do I think it'll match the excellence we're likely to see from Cadillac or Honda? Probably not. :(

Anyone has issues watching IMSA TV from the US? I can't see any live stuff in Peacock (the first listed is tomorrow's Race 1 for the new series) and the imsa.tv site just says error...

No video for the Friday sessions as far as I can tell, Imsa radio only.
They said sound and vision on the IMSA Radio coverage, so I thought there would be vision. On the app I only got a geoblock but it was titled Race, so that's sort of understandable.

I am going to be VERY intrigued about the LMDh and LMH cars in 2023. Since we're talking IMSA, I'm obviously referring to the LMDh entries. I am normally not into Cadillac. However, how can you not love the roar of that Caddy engine? The Northstar LMPs remain my all-time favorite Cadillac race cars, but this new LMDh entry is becoming one of my favorite Cadillac race cars.

This should be a fun season nonetheless. Not only in IMSA, but in GT/Sportscar/Endurance racing in general.

The Acura's are .5 sec faster on ideal lap time after day 1 with the majority of that in sector 2 which runs from the exit of the International horseshoe to the exit of the bus stop. Better brakes or smaller sand bags??

Interesting to hear Seb describe the difference between DPi and GTP. Also how very careful they are having to be because of lack of spare parts.

Keep an eye on the new 992 GTD Porsches, they are playing some serious BOP games running 2 sec off the pace. The 296 Ferrari's are also down at the bottom of the timing page.

I’m pulling the trigger way early, but seeing that Volt Porsche, can’t wait to see if that livery is on the new Mustang GT3 and GT4.

Eventful qualifying!

Acura #60 gets pole after the #6 Porsche crashes at the Pit Stop Chicane and causing a red flag. #7 Porsche gets P2

So much for the new cars being slower. Pole time was faster than last years DPI time. The WEC might have some trouble slowing these cars down to Hypercar pace.

So much for the new cars being slower. Pole time was faster than last years DPI time. The WEC might have some trouble slowing these cars down to Hypercar pace.
The BOP for the last WEC race of '22 had the Toyota at 1053kg/509kw and Peugeot 1049kg/515kw. The current GTP bop for all of the new cars is 1030kg/500kw.

As excited as I am for IMSA I'm more excited for the WEC can wait to see if Toyota having there biggest and best challengers can come out on top.

Back